PDA

View Full Version : conversion

GTR Dreamer
06-10-2004, 01:56 AM
how hard would it be to put a skyline engine into a late model RX-7, and how much would it cost

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-10-2004, 02:16 PM
i'm pretty sure it won't fit (rotary is a pretty compact design i doubt the skyline twin turbo will fit)
wuts with all this craze bout the skyline, i will never understand this ... like as far as im concerned 90% of the people who are obsessed with skylines are into it mainly due to the fact they're "easy" to tune to 800+ horsepower ... if you can handle 800 horsepower ... then u'ld be racing in formula 1

megotmea7
06-10-2004, 02:20 PM
which skyline engine? the FD has a rather large engine bay for the size of the car(large wide, not large long) many ppl opt for V8 conversions as they fit rather nicely with the apropriat subframe (and can be mounted low and far back because of the space the T56 tranny's most ppl use affords, lowering the center of gravity) ive seen a supra's 2jz-gte and 6 speed tranny slipped into a FD also(check SP engineering's supra-7 HERE (http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0112tur_supra/) and HERE (http://www.sp-power.com/projectcar_supra7.htm)) as for a RB swap i have never seen one done, but i imagine it would be pretty dificult unless you were going to use a GTS-R tranny as the GT-R's tranny would require convering the car to accept the awd driveline (also has ben done but not with nissan components, it was a rally car)
basicaly it can be dont but why? are you looking for a drag car? a road coarse car? a street car? the 13b would be more than enough for all these tasks, 13b's turned for over 1000hp with all OEM parts aside from a port job in the housings, for a street or track car you'll be hard pressed to find a engine you can swap in and tune for cheaper than you can the 13b. ;) hows ~550hp in street trim with about $20k invested in the car? expect about $10k on top of that to get a RB in there and tuned to teh same level

megotmea7
06-10-2004, 02:23 PM
i'm pretty sure it won't fit (rotary is a pretty compact design i doubt the skyline twin turbo will fit)
wuts with all this craze bout the skyline, i will never understand this ... like as far as im concerned 90% of the people who are obsessed with skylines are into it mainly due to the fact they're "easy" to tune to 800+ horsepower ... if you can handle 800 horsepower ... then u'ld be racing in formula 1
i also dont get why, esp. when you can tune a supra to 900+hp just as easy, and their available in the US :). and come on now even if you couldnt handle 800hp you know you'd want to try :D ;)

GTR Dreamer
06-10-2004, 02:54 PM
i was just using the skyline as an example.
i asked coz i love the desgn of the RX chasis but rotors are a bit to expensive to run.
do u think some kind of 4cyl would fit.
it will probabaly be for street use.

megotmea7
06-10-2004, 04:04 PM
after a few basic mods(dp, vacuum line replacment, fuel line recall, etc.) a 3rd gen will be just as reliable as any other car you can bring provided you keep the oil up and changed and dont let it overheat...

megotmea7
06-10-2004, 04:06 PM
and IMHO no 4 cyl. is worth putting in an FD, ive seen a SR swap but that is pointless as the 13b can be just as reliable and make better power too.

NAZCA C2
06-10-2004, 05:20 PM
you could put a skyline engine in a RX-7 but i don't see why you would want to. RX-7 engines can handle a good amount of power with a good turbo system. the skyline engine would probably be heavier and bulkier than the rotary RX-7 engine. Not to mention the cost, i'm sure the skyline engine would set you back a few $$$. A small block chevy would probably be a better wngine swap choice.

MrVette83
06-10-2004, 05:27 PM
you could put a skyline engine in a RX-7 but i don't see why you would want to. RX-7 engines can handle a good amount of power with a good turbo system. the skyline engine would probably be heavier and bulkier than the rotary RX-7 engine. Not to mention the cost, i'm sure the skyline engine would set you back a few $$$. A small block chevy would probably be a better wngine swap choice.

It has been done. Hinson Supercars does a swap of a GM LS1(Camaro, Corvette, Firebird) into a late model RX-7. It's supposed to have perfect 50/50 weight distribution and be wicked fast. I'll link you to the website:

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com

There ya go, enjoy.

KOT
06-15-2004, 11:40 PM
how hard would it be to put a skyline engine into a late model RX-7, and how much would it cost
this is pretty irrelivant... and I dont got any idea where to get a skyline engine

TheOne
06-15-2004, 11:53 PM
get a nissan 240sx and put the skyline engine on it, either the rb25det or rb26ett(with rb25det tranny, rb26 is AWD, rb25 is RWD, either of the front clips(actual front clips) cost around $3000~$5000 and do it yourself(unless otherwise you can't), some companies do such swaps 2. but i've heard more rx-7's with the v8 rather than the rb engine, should be easier i guess.

info on the rb26dett is that it can go up to +-600hp without modifing the internals(pistons, connecting rods, etc.), i myself am thinking of doing the 240sx with rb25det swap, its gonna cost me more than the body itself, but its gonna be hella fast

Renesis
06-16-2004, 04:19 PM
KOT its not that hard to find an engine.
check out ebaymotors-i dunno if one's there- im too lazy to look

Egg Nog
06-16-2004, 10:38 PM
i love the desgn of the RX chasis but rotors are a bit to expensive to run.

Lets just say this: If you can't afford to run a rotary engine on its own, I do think that doing a custom Skyline engine swap is the most appropriate thing to do financially. :)

Thousands upon thousands of dollars. Double digits thousands for sure.

What about a V8? Which chassis of RX-7 are you talking about?

Slicks
06-17-2004, 05:55 PM
That is sweet.
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/images/Dsc00009.jpg
Ive always wanted to see a late model RX7 with an LS1.
2831lbs
50/50 weight distrabution
500+RWHP (and NA)
est 9.8 1/4mile
and getting 27mpg hwy driving, can you say pimp?