PDA

View Full Version : What Happened?

werty
06-10-2004, 07:57 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Last night i tried to get on UCP and the site was down! It said it couldn't find the site, i thought something bad had happened and UCP was gone forever......i was actually really mad. Thank Goodness it worked this morning...phew! so what was happening, was the site under construction for awhile last night?

Glad to be back :)

Wouter Melissen
06-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Some weird flaw in Apache caused the server the freeze, as soon as I woke up (even before my first coffee), I had it up and running again!

UK CARS
06-10-2004, 08:07 AM
thats a common problem with me, sometimes the site wont load up...
When others do, it either takes forever to load up or it displays me a couldn't find the site screen......then after a few tries most of the time it works :)

deffenbaugh03
06-10-2004, 08:09 AM
That happened to me too and i had no clue what to spend my free time doing

Falcon500
06-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Same thing with me...sometimes the site gos down forme usually after an hour after i get in and i take that opputunity to do things...come back 10-15 mins later and try again and there it gos....strange that happens...

cls12vg30
06-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Well guys such things happen to almost every website from time to time. I have some experience dealing with hosting providers, which are datacenters where most websites are hosted. They provide redundant connections to the internet, redundant power sources, backup generators, security, everything you can think of to keep the servers where this and all other sites reside up and running, as well as the routers and switches that transmit the data to your computer. And modern servers are designed to be very reliable.
But even with all this, all the pieces that have to work together to deliver a webpage to your screen are incredibly complex, and total 24x7 uptime is pretty much impossible. Servers and routers fail, security keys expire, software glitches arise, files get deleted or corrupted, cable, DSL, and dialup networks go down. Any one of these problems can give you the dreaded 404 "This page cannot be displayed".
No reason to panic, just give it some time and it'll come back up again.

Matra et Alpine
06-13-2004, 01:35 PM
UCP goes quiet and doesn't service requests at 12GMT each day.
So watch out for accessing around that time. Iv'e lsot a couple of posts through bad luck pressing submit at that time :(

SilverArrowZ
06-14-2004, 06:27 AM
70% of the time i try to log into UCP failed, probably i'm just unlucky to be free at those time that the site is down. If it isn't for the problem, i might have twice the number of post by now. But anyway, it is better than other car forum already if you want to compare.

Wouter Melissen
06-14-2004, 07:55 AM
70% of the time i try to log into UCP failed, probably i'm just unlucky to be free at those time that the site is down. If it isn't for the problem, i might have twice the number of post by now. But anyway, it is better than other car forum already if you want to compare.

The server is closely monitored and is only down for a reboot at 12 gmt for about 6-8 minutes. Your problem sounds like its on your side.

SilverArrowZ
06-14-2004, 10:44 PM
maybe you are right... internet connection in Malaysia is going through maintenance lately... worse part is that few days ago the whole internet connection in Malaysia go down for 3 hours. Its worse than a blackout for me >.<