PDA

View Full Version : Why You Should Own A Corvette

gutbucket
05-18-2014, 08:29 AM
http://garglinggas.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/corvette3.jpeg

I recently saw an episode of Top Gear that featured the new Corvette. Clarkson didn't exactly give it much praise, but then I remembered how much he loved it in a different episode. Anyway, this led me to blogging about the car in a post called Little Red Corvette
(http://garglinggas.com/2014/05/17/little-red-corvette/)
What do you make of the relatively cheap and light-weight powerhouse?

NSXType-R
05-18-2014, 01:24 PM
I think it's great value for money. The Viper is a cooler car but it's at least another 30k more.

If you want the most horsepower per dollar I don't think you can do much better outside of modifications.

C-4 guy
05-18-2014, 09:59 PM
A standard Corvette is a great performance value. You can't do much better than a Corvette, especially when you consider the reliability factor.

Rasmus
05-19-2014, 10:54 AM
I like them -- some more than others -- and agree that they offer more of one thing: performance. However, creature comforts, build/material quality, and interior design... let's be real, they're Vettes. You can almost get a rather more sophisticated interior in a 10 year old Polo.

Don't take this as me bashing them. It's not.

henk4
05-19-2014, 12:01 PM
I like them -- some more than others -- and agree that they offer more of one thing: performance. However, creature comforts, build/material quality, and interior design... let's be real, they're Vettes. You can almost get a rather more sophisticated interior in a 10 year old Polo.

Don't take this as me bashing them. It's not.

Required creature comforts these days are highly overrated. If a car does not have tons of electronic gismos it is considered to be spartan. My car has several buttons that I never touch, because it is related to a "menu", which is a thing I want to see in a restaurant. The car does have an oil temperature gauge though, which is far more important.

So if the Corvette's interior concentrates on the driving of a car, rather than making a lot of fuss about sound systems, navigational stuff or bluetooth things, than it would consider that to be great plus.

Rasmus
05-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Required creature comforts these days are highly overrated. If a car does not have tons of electronic gismos it is considered to be spartan. My car has several buttons that I never touch, because it is related to a "menu", which is a thing I want to see in a restaurant. The car does have an oil temperature gauge though, which is far more important.

So if the Corvette's interior concentrates on the driving of a car, rather than making a lot of fuss about sound systems, navigational stuff or bluetooth things, than it would consider that to be great plus.

I'm not arguing that the intended purpose doesn't defeat the expected functionality. I am, however, saying that everything evens out; you gain in performance, and you get an interior that's below standard.

Case in point, the C6 seats -- regardless of model -- are not meant to hold anything or anyone when maneuvering a corner at even a remotely fresh pace. The C5 interior, especially, is a squeaking travesty of flimsy plastic engineering with often broken retaining tabs.

Again, not bashing the Corvettes -- we have 3 of them. I'm simply stating the obvious.

I'm with you on the buttons though. Why designers abandoned knobs and substituted buttons, I don't know. Don't get me started on the newer Mustangs. In a daily driver, however, everything changes. I do like my creature comforts in that case, but I still am easily overwhelmed by the plethora of buttons found in most newer vehicles.

henk4
05-19-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm not arguing that the intended purpose doesn't defeat the expected functionality. I am, however, saying that everything evens out; you gain in performance, and you get an interior that's below standard.

Case in point, the C6 seats -- regardless of model -- are not meant to hold anything or anyone when maneuvering a corner at even a remotely fresh pace. The C5 interior, especially, is a squeaking travesty of flimsy plastic engineering with often broken retaining tabs.

Again, not bashing the Corvettes -- we have 3 of them. I'm simply stating the obvious.

I'm with you on the buttons though. Why designers abandoned knobs and substituted buttons, I don't know. Don't get me started on the newer Mustangs. In a daily driver, however, everything changes. I do like my creature comforts in that case, but I still am easily overwhelmed by the plethora of buttons found in most newer vehicles.

so putting a couple of Recaros would solve the problems?

Rasmus
05-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Yes, it could, but you could also make a slow car fast. My point stands: you gain some performance, you lose something elsewhere. Granted, some issues are easier to remedy than others, making some cars better platforms to begin with.

Wife put a set of Corbeau A4 seats in her C5, and they're miles better than stock, however, the main driver for doing so was a broken driver's seat -- see previous point on shitty C5 interiors. I'm not touching my 427 C6 yet. If I were to one day replace the seats, I'd get fixed backs.

henk4
05-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Yes, it could, but you could also make a slow car fast. My point stands: you gain some performance, you lose something elsewhere. Granted, some issues are easier to remedy than others, making some cars better platforms to begin with.

Wife put a set of Corbeau A4 seats in her C5, and they're miles better than stock, however, the main driver for doing so was a broken driver's seat -- see previous point on shitty C5 interiors. I'm not touching my 427 C6 yet. If I were to one day replace the seats, I'd get fixed backs.

proper seats are not a factory option then? Anyway, for the value for money (certainly in North America) nothing would beat a Corvette. (Prices of a Nissan GTR are much higher I suppose?)

Rasmus
05-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately not, no. My C6 has the later, updated seats, and they're not much better than those in my friend's early ZR1. They have a bit better upper seat back bolsters, but bottom bolsters are the same. They share the same base.

The same applies to C7 seats; both the stock seats, and the "sportier" Competition seats, with their snazzy carbon inlays, share the same base.

I blame it on the average Corvette buyer being a comfortable fellow.

Anyway, for the value of money, and all-out, easily attainable performance, no, the Corvette still reigns supreme with the yanks. That said, it is funny that you should mention the GTR, as I was considering one; they're very comparable from certain viewpoints. When talking about new car prices, a GTR is up there above the C6 Z06 and below the ZR1 (not accounting for the C7 Z06 yet as final pricing hasn't materialized), depending on spec levels. Used car prices, the situation changes a little, but you can generally find a Z06 for a little less than a GTR of the same model year.

If performance is to be relative to driving skill, I believe that an unskilled driver would be faster in a GTR than a Z06, with the roles quickly reversed with a little experience. As previously mentioned, two very comparable cars, despite being so fundamentally different.

henk4
05-19-2014, 02:16 PM
could it be that the average Corvette client in NA would not even fit in a proper seat?
Anyway, I mentioned the GTR as the "normal" comparison, the 911, is certainly inferior value for money wise.

Rasmus
05-19-2014, 02:38 PM
I don't think it's body size as much as it's the perceived level of comfort. The C7 has slightly tighter seats and interior space, and it has been commented on ad nauseum on various Corvette forums.

The 911, yes, is most definitely viewed as an expensive exotic amongst most people here. I still consider it a domestic.

henk4
05-19-2014, 10:46 PM
I don't think it's body size as much as it's the perceived level of comfort. The C7 has slightly tighter seats and interior space, and it has been commented on ad nauseum on various Corvette forums.

I guess there is a large population among Corvette owners that see the car as a boulevard cruiser, rather than something that you would actually like to go fast in...

pimento
05-20-2014, 03:01 AM
Apropos.

Regular Car Reviews: 2008 Chevrolet Corvette C6 - YouTube

I'm totally OK with 'Vettes, but I don't want one.

Rasmus
05-20-2014, 07:39 AM
I guess there is a large population among Corvette owners that see the car as a boulevard cruiser, rather than something that you would actually like to go fast in...

It's a source of pride for many Americans, very much like the Shelby following; the ones who will spend a boatload of money for a Ford, just because it says Shelby on a plaque somewhere.

Out of the two groups, I have found base C6 and 06-08 Shelby GT owners to be the worst; the Z06/ZR1 and base Mustang GT crowds are generally just car people of various sorts.

Apropos.

Brilliant video! Thanks for the laugh!

Ferrer
05-24-2014, 03:42 AM
Best description yet.

I would cross-shop it with a Rolls-Royce Wraith, but it doesn't come at the top of any of my lists...

Much prefer one of the pony cars.

crisis
05-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Required creature comforts these days are highly overrated. If a car does not have tons of electronic gismos it is considered to be spartan.
Exactly. Ditto "panel gaps" and perceived "build quality". How do such things manifest themselves in the enjoyment of driving?

Ferrer
05-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Exactly. Ditto "panel gaps" and perceived "build quality". How do such things manifest themselves in the enjoyment of driving?
Well, 3 metre-wide panel gaps may be inconvenient in the rain.

pimento
05-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Well, 3 metre-wide panel gaps may be inconvenient in the rain.

Eh, a bit rain in the car never hurt you. Especially when you don't have all them electronic gizmos in there.

NSXType-R
05-25-2014, 08:03 AM

So would you like to remove the electric starter and use a hand crank? :D

To be honest, I'm okay with not having electric windows and such, but after a while the customer's perception of what should be standard changes. 20 years or so ago, electric windows, air conditioning and heating was not standard equipment. Radio? That's a luxury too.

I can forgo sat nav and that, but it doesn't mean the market would be receptive of those changes.

Ferrer
05-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Eh, a bit rain in the car never hurt you. Especially when you don't have all them electronic gizmos in there.
Imagine yourself suited up driving to the most important job interview ever, then the rain comes down, you get wet, lose the job opportunity, your wife cheats on you, lose all your friends, lose the house, your wife leaves you and the only possible exit is suicide. So really, tight panel gaps can be seen as antidote for suicide. How about that?

Don't worry, though, I'm still a fan of the Healey Romeo SpitMidged Superleggera Spider, but in the real world what you really want is somewhere comfortable, quiet, nicely air-conditioned to seat while you go to places and relax on the cruise control and the mega high fidelity Bose & Wilkins stereo.

If you can afford two (or more) cars it is OK to have something interesting that will never (ever) start and that has things like no power steering or, god forbid, a set of twin Webers while rely on a box for everyday driving, but if you can only afford one car you need a compromise.

(I am indeed getting fed up with the MX-5... :()

pimento
05-26-2014, 12:29 AM
If you failed to get the job due to being a bit moist you probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway. Or if that were such an issue, you should have shown better planning and caught the bus or a cab. :p

henk4
05-26-2014, 12:41 AM
So would you like to remove the electric starter and use a hand crank? :D

these are essentials to operate a car, having bluetooth or bose subwoofers are surplus to requirements, because they have nothing to do with the car, and are actually distracting you from the car (and its environment).

henk4
05-26-2014, 12:44 AM
in the real world what you really want is somewhere comfortable, quiet, nicely air-conditioned to seat while you go to places and relax on the cruise control and the mega high fidelity Bose & Wilkins stereo.

the last two items you could do without. but the rest i spot-on. (and no i am not fed up with my C5)

NSXType-R
05-26-2014, 06:31 AM
these are essentials to operate a car, having bluetooth or bose subwoofers are surplus to requirements, because they have nothing to do with the car, and are actually distracting you from the car (and its environment).

I agree, but then you and I are not the average consumer. Features like that are standard for what sells the car now. Any less and it's unacceptable.

henk4
05-26-2014, 07:08 AM
I agree, but then you and I are not the average consumer. Features like that are standard for what sells the car now. Any less and it's unacceptable.

Price is what sells the car.

Kitdy
05-26-2014, 03:45 PM
I like a high fidelity sound system.

henk4
05-26-2014, 09:58 PM

me too, in the living room.

Ferrer
05-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Oh come on; do you want to drive? This is the interior to be in:

http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/gallery/public/3-caterham-interior.jpg?itok=FiCbfRP5

It's got a steering wheel, a pair of levers and some pedals. If you don't die of hypothermia or get a bird in the face it's hard to find anything more focused.

In the real world though, this is, quite simply, preposterous.

Now everyone around here knows that I hate the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class. Clearly, there's a lot not to like: it doesn't handle properly, it doesn't ride properly, the steering is impossible, the engine is too unrefined and/or slow (depending on model) and on top of all it costs as much as the sky.

However.

If we only consider the interior and forget about everything else, it is quite a nice place to be. The materials and surfaces are nice to touch, everything works perfectly, and the seats hug you. Also bluetooth comes in handy when someone calls you and you need to answer or you need to call someone, and cruise control is the single best automotive invention ever especially in speed camera-laden roads. The superb stereo allows you to relax and silence is the coronation of the whole experience.

Yes, all of the ICE nonsense is indeed unfathomable but in essence it is what you want in an interior.

I must be getting really, properly, old now.

Oh god.

(Again)

henk4
05-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Oh come on; do you want to drive? This is the interior to be in:

http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/gallery/public/3-caterham-interior.jpg?itok=FiCbfRP5

It's got a steering wheel, a pair of levers and some pedals. If you don't die of hypothermia or get a bird in the face it's hard to find anything more focused.

In the real world though, this is, quite simply, preposterous.

Now everyone around here knows that I hate the new Mercedes-Benz A-Class. Clearly, there's a lot not to like: it doesn't handle properly, it doesn't ride properly, the steering is impossible, the engine is too unrefined and/or slow (depending on model) and on top of all it costs as much as the sky.

However.

If we only consider the interior and forget about everything else, it is quite a nice place to be. The materials and surfaces are nice to touch, everything works perfectly, and the seats hug you. Also bluetooth comes in handy when someone calls you and you need to answer or you need to call someone, and cruise control is the single best automotive invention ever especially in speed camera-laden roads. The superb stereo allows you to relax and silence is the coronation of the whole experience.

Yes, all of the ICE nonsense is indeed unfathomable but in essence it is what you want in an interior.

I must be getting really, properly, old now.

Oh god.

(Again)

you make me feel young, not having the slightest need to "touch the interior" or to use a bluetooth type of equipment. I have my radio control on a lever at the wheel, never use it, only the on-of button and the knob to turn up the volume.
And yes the interior you are showing, is how things should be. Or with a dash like this.

Kitdy
05-30-2014, 03:28 PM
I drove a B class all day. I... I can't say it puts a smile on your face to drive but the interior is another world compared to our '13 Mazda 3.

Ferrer
05-30-2014, 06:49 PM
you make me feel young, not having the slightest need to "touch the interior" or to use a bluetooth type of equipment. I have my radio control on a lever at the wheel, never use it, only the on-of button and the knob to turn up the volume.
And yes the interior you are showing, is how things should be. Or with a dash like this.
I agree that some of the infotainment/gadgets are unnecessary, like having internet in the car or automatic lights/wipers, but others improve the driving relaxedness. I for instance tend to get lost relatively easy. I wonder how people got to places at all before the introduction of the sat-nav.

As for the touching thing, well driving a car does involve touching at least some parts of interior, doesn't it? So on that basis it's better that they are covered in nice materials.

This reminds me of our Hyundai, which is the basic-spec model. This means manual air con, no bluetooth, standard radio, no leather steering or gear knob. You could argue that it does the same as the Mercedes-Benz, but at the same time it so doesn't...

I drove a B class all day. I... I can't say it puts a smile on your face to drive but the interior is another world compared to our '13 Mazda 3.
I've been driving the A-Class lately and I can only agree. In fact I could forgive it almost everything, except the ride. The ride ruins everything, even the superb atmosphere created inside the car.

By the way, today I tried out the new Skyactiv Mazda 3, which incidentally happens to have a good interior too.

henk4
05-30-2014, 11:00 PM
I wonder how people got to places at all before the introduction of the sat-nav.

very simple, and like I still do. Using a road map and following the signs. Knowing a thing or two about geography does help too. A road trip used to be and should still be considered as a journey, and proper travelers prepare for a journey.

Kitdy
05-31-2014, 11:37 AM
GPS is a crutch that I attempt to stay away form. I like to look at my phone before I leave and try to remember the directions. I've a good sense of direction and like to work out my brain as opposed to having a disturbing monotonic female voice bark directions at me every 5 seconds.

I think what I'd like in a car interior would be very high end comfortable leather materials, analog gauges, no screen, an excellent sound system, USB, Aux, CD, Bluetooth audio, swathes of leather, no plastic, shiny metal.

As for the rest of the car, a very comfortably riding mix of a GT/Sportscar, I6 or V8 up front with between 3-5L, and RWD. 6 speed manual.

Rasmus
05-31-2014, 04:58 PM
GPS is a crutch that I attempt to stay away form. I like to look at my phone before I leave and try to remember the directions. I've a good sense of direction and like to work out my brain as opposed to having a disturbing monotonic female voice bark directions at me every 5 seconds.

I think what I'd like in a car interior would be very high end comfortable leather materials, analog gauges, no screen, an excellent sound system, USB, Aux, CD, Bluetooth audio, swathes of leather, no plastic, shiny metal.

As for the rest of the car, a very comfortably riding mix of a GT/Sportscar, I6 or V8 up front with between 3-5L, and RWD. 6 speed manual.

This. So much.

I love the big, analog needles in the C6's gauges as much as I dislike the new digital dash in the C7. I realize that a digital dash can convey a larger amount of diverse information, but, damn it, I just like a good set of analog gauges with huge needles.

Sound system I can do without. They don't work well in convertibles anyway. Aside from that the C6 is my preferred long-distance driver; it even gets decent mileage despite the 7L.

Kitdy
06-01-2014, 12:36 AM
I am a sucker for high quality wood too.

henk4
06-01-2014, 12:38 AM
I am a sucker for high quality wood too.

then buy a Morgan, you'll get wood everywhere.

Ferrer
06-01-2014, 04:04 AM
then buy a Morgan, you'll get wood everywhere.
But can a Morgan do Bluetooth?

henk4
06-01-2014, 04:31 AM
But can a Morgan do Bluetooth?

I thought we already deemed that to be irrelevant.

NSXType-R
06-01-2014, 06:29 AM
What are your opinions on the GM total recall?

It angers me that the US government bailed out a company that cared so little about safety in its customers. It seemed like the government and media were much more concerned when Toyota had its acceleration issues and while there is concern with GM, there doesn't seem to be as much concern.

Ferrer
06-01-2014, 06:52 AM
What are your opinions on the GM total recall?

It angers me that the US government bailed out a company that cared so little about safety in its customers. It seemed like the government and media were much more concerned when Toyota had its acceleration issues and while there is concern with GM, there doesn't seem to be as much concern.
Well, Toyota has 8,700 employees in the US while GM has about 68,000. Also Toyota's US profits go to Japan, while GM US profits (all others) stay in the US.

On that basis there's probably less interest in GM failing than in Toyota failing.

NSXType-R
06-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Well, Toyota has 8,700 employees in the US while GM has about 68,000. Also Toyota's US profits go to Japan, while GM US profits (all others) stay in the US.

On that basis there's probably less interest in GM failing than in Toyota failing.

Bah, I posted this in the wrong thread. I was going to post it in the State of the Car thread. Lemme copy and paste it there.

You're right though, but it seems like GM just doesn't give a crap about its customers.

pimento
06-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Moved to the state of the car thread.

crisis
06-02-2014, 03:58 AM

Thats why I remove those provided and install replacements myself. ;)

Ferrer
06-07-2014, 02:24 PM
(I am indeed getting fed up with the MX-5... :()
(Autoquote FTW)

I have regained appreciation for my car.

Again.

It occurred to me the other day as I was driving along, I started enjoying the crisp turn ins, the communicative steering, the short throw gearbox, etc.

And then it became clear.

Yes, with a box I'd be less annoyed most of the time, but on that magic 10% I'd be completely frustrated. My car is very annoying most of the time, but on that 10% it becomes just what you want.

So I guess I'll be keeping it for a little bit longer.

Lunatic Mediterranean indeed.

Cheers.

clutch-monkey
06-08-2014, 12:27 AM
[SIZE="1"]

Yes, with a box I'd be less annoyed most of the time, but on that magic 10% I'd be completely frustrated. My car is very annoying most of the time, but on that 10% it becomes just what you want.

So I guess I'll be keeping it for a little bit longer.

this is why most of my cars stay in a box until i decide to take them out to play. :)