PDA

View Full Version : This Phaeton Rules

C-4 guy
08-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Every so often I see this V.W. Phaeton at a local event where some of us guys hang out. I figured the owner must really think his car is special because he has this narrative displayed on a plaque by his car. So, one day I read it. This car is awesome. There aren't that many in the U.S., but I have a feeling my European friends know all about these cars and how special they are. The thing has a W12 in it and is outfitted very nicely as you can see in the pics. This is truly a very rare and unique car.

By the way I'll be on Ocean Ave. in Carmel on Thurs. the 14th, Laguna Seca on Sat. the 16th, and at Pebble Beach on Sun. the 17th. I'll be wearing a Corvette cap with a C-4 emblem. See you there.

henk4
08-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Every so often I see this V.W. Phaeton at a local event where some of us guys hang out. I figured the owner must really think his car is special because he has this narrative displayed on a plaque by his car. So, one day I read it. This car is awesome. There aren't that many in the U.S., but I have a feeling my European friends know all about these cars and how special they are. The thing has a W12 in it and is outfitted very nicely as you can see in the pics. This is truly a very rare and unique car.

By the way I'll be on Ocean Ave. in Carmel on Thurs. the 14th, Laguna Seca on Sat. the 16th, and at Pebble Beach on Sun. the 17th. I'll be wearing a Corvette cap with a C-4 emblem. See you there.

we'll be there too, so see you there, Carmel at about 8.00 clock?

TVR IS KING
08-04-2014, 03:41 AM
That is awesome. It's a car that on the surface seems like another big and relatively bland VW. But it isn't and he knows it.

Ferrer
08-05-2014, 11:05 AM
I always thought that the Phaeton was much more interesting than the other megalomaniac Piech project, the Bugatti überCorrado.

demonrunning07
08-06-2014, 09:13 AM
They're not that easy to find but the "lowly" V8 Phaeton sells for ~$15k USD. I think it would make a pretty cool used car for that price. Might not have the W12 engine but still a pretty nice car.

Koevoet
08-06-2014, 02:46 PM
It is certainly an interesting car, but the maintenance of the W12 probably puts it side by side with considerable alternatives, costswise.

jcp123
08-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Nice! Phaeton was an interesting exercise. A w12 would be quite the used car find, I think I'd pick up a Passat W8 wagon though.

Man of Steel
08-08-2014, 04:24 AM
It is a boring looking VAG product with an interesting engine IMO.

RacingManiac
08-08-2014, 06:02 AM
They cost relatively nothing to own these days...though the upkeep for the air suspension and all the electronics in the car will quickly surpass the purchase price...

Also the description of W12 being 2 V with one leg inside the other is just weird...its 2 VR6s joined at the crank...

Similar period VW product that's more intriguing(and no less costly to own) is the V10 TDI Touareg....

And considering the weight difference, the A8 is probably the better car..

Koevoet
08-08-2014, 07:27 AM
They cost relatively nothing to own these days...though the upkeep for the air suspension and all the electronics in the car will quickly surpass the purchase price...

That was precisely what I was talking about.

Ferrer
08-08-2014, 11:19 AM
And considering the weight difference, the A8 is probably the better car..
Jaguar XJ.

RacingManiac
08-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Jaguar XJ.

That too. The same era car the Jag was the lightest....

Another jab at the F-type being a pig here though...

Ferrer
08-08-2014, 01:17 PM
That too. The same era car the Jag was the lightest....

Another jab at the F-type being a pig here though...
And it had the flair and dynamics the Audi could only dream of.

RacingManiac
08-08-2014, 01:36 PM
And the lack of space...

Ferrer
08-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Paraphrasing Top Gear's shortest man, "some owners don't need leg room...".

And anyway, I'm not the sort of person who would employ a chauffeur.