PDA

View Full Version : VW Van-Tastic Caddy Race Version

byronleehk
06-11-2004, 10:22 AM
"Volkswagen's latest racer is a surprise, for the machine is not a car but a racing van.

Powered by a 230 PS, 2.0-litre turbodiesel engine, the new Caddy is set to thrill racegoers around the UK for the duration of the Volkswagen Racing Cup season.

It's not the first Caddy to take to the tracks - the previous model made its racing debut in 2002 and has become a firm favourite with spectators.

Peter Wyhinny, the director of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, will be behind the new Caddy's wheel at Snetterton. Said Peter: 'Since launching the original Caddy Racer we have learned a lot about adapting a van, beam axle and all, for the track and all that learning has been transferred to the All New Caddy. The result is truly amazing: it feels extremely well balanced, a refined racer and now has a competitive amount of power.

The van-tastic Caddy has been converted for racing by Milton Keynes-based Volkswagen Racing UK. At its heart is a 16-valve 1968cc TDI powerplant which, with assistance from the engine tuning wizards at Superchips and a bespoke exhaust system by Milltek, is delivering 230 PS.

'It's the most powerful diesel engine we have ever put on a circuit,' said Sam Roach, head of Volkswagen Racing UK, 'and we truly believe that it's going to be a front-running machine. The majority of the components are exactly as the road-going Caddy, but we've done a lot of work to the rear suspension to ensure strong handling.'

These modifications include a five-link location for the standard rear beam suspension, as well as KW racing dampers and an anti-roll bar. Power is fed to the front wheels via a six-speed gearbox. A limited-slip differential is fitted.

In the cab, the Caddy's customary passenger niceties have been stripped away and replaced by a welded-in multi-point roll cage, a racing seat and safety harness. Like all vehicles in the Volkswagen Racing Cup, the Caddy is gripped by Pirelli track tyres.

Its Snetterton debut will be a far from easy one - ranged against the van will be a diversity of Volkswagens including the four-wheel-drive Golf R32, a host of 2.8-litre Beetles, Corrado VR6s and Golfs of every vintage."

Nice :rolleyes:

Matra et Alpine
06-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Ford did this a couple of years back with the Transit.

An idea initally undertaken back in the 80s - and I can't find pics or vid :( - when they produced a rally-spec Ford Transit and actually took it out on the UK rally stages. Was awesome to see :) If anyone knows of pics or vid of that I'd love to see it again.

VtecMini
06-11-2004, 03:25 PM
I remember reading about a Transit Connect RS, called the Transit Connect X-Press, a few weeks ago in Autoexpress, here's a bit more:

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=2374

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/newvans_s.asp?id=4157

I don't think that all that many people realise what an awesome vehicle this is... cos it's a performance vehicle... that's also a commercial vehicle... It's the ultimate company car!!!

For those outside the UK, company car drivers here have to pay about 15% of the car's value new every year in tax... Unless it's a "commercial vehicle" i.e. a van or a pick up. In which case you have to pay about a £100. Woo!