PDA

View Full Version : Possible Villeneuve return to F1, maybe Williams

Ferrari Tifosi
06-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Earlier while I was searching threw the ESPN web site, I can upon an article that talked about a possible return of Villeneuve to F1. The article went even further and said the Williams had been talking to him as a possible replacement of Montoya. However, no testing has been scheduled for him in a Williams Gran Prix car.

Matra et Alpine
06-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Don't see anyone taking him on, he never proved himself as a capable test and race driver in F1. With the BEST equipment he made success, with anything else he's been a waste of one of the largest salaries in F1 !!

Of course, if he brings sponsorship money then all would be changed :)

cp01ae
06-11-2004, 01:45 PM
It's kind of hard to prove yourself with junk cars, look at his record when he started, second place in his first season with numerous wins, and then won the championship a year later. While I have to agree with you about his large salary being a bit much, he has won the championship, he was also the youngest person to win the CART championship and he won the Indy 500. Personally I think you underestimate him. If the BAR was so good how come Button, or any of his other team-mates didn't so so well? You must understand that as a Canadian I have to defend him, I also have a good deal of respect for him and think he's a great driver, if he came back into a competitive car, he would challenge Schuey.

Matra et Alpine
06-11-2004, 03:07 PM
It's kind of hard to prove yourself with junk cars, look at his record when he started, second place in his first season with numerous wins, and then won the championship a year later. While I have to agree with you about his large salary being a bit much, he has won the championship, he was also the youngest person to win the CART championship and he won the Indy 500. Personally I think you underestimate him. If the BAR was so good how come Button, or any of his other team-mates didn't so so well? You must understand that as a Canadian I have to defend him, I also have a good deal of respect for him and think he's a great driver, if he came back into a competitive car, he would challenge Schuey.
A monkey could have owon the championship that year.
I don't undersestimate him.
He thinks he is a VERY good driver, he is a midlle-pack F1 driver who unfortunately demanded a numebr one salary and didn't deliver.
There are MANY times F1 drivers have struggled to help improve a failing car. JV blotted his copybook by achieveing NOTHING !! If he'd managed to help the team develop a better car then he'd be up there with Stewart, Prost, Piquet, Schumacher in my books.
He didn't :(
In an equal car, he would fail to match the top 6 drivers in today's races.
Sorry, he was good enough for ovals and not for the more complex setup and circus of F1.
As for comparisons with Button, you're looking at 1/10th salary and experience in Button. That he didnt' manage to be laps ahead is a condemnation :)

fpv_gtho
06-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Earlier while I was searching threw the ESPN web site, I can upon an article that talked about a possible return of Villeneuve to F1. The article went even further and said the Williams had been talking to him as a possible replacement of Montoya. However, no testing has been scheduled for him in a Williams Gran Prix car.

whether he's really ben considered by Williams or not, i think webber and Button are at the top of Frank Williams's preferances right now

Wouter Melissen
06-12-2004, 12:32 AM
In an equal car, he would fail to match the top 6 drivers in today's races.
Sorry, he was good enough for ovals and not for the more complex setup and circus of F1.

With his experience, he could have won races this year for BAR. Villeneuve was the most exciting driver in F1 the last couple of years. His commitment in races was just awesome. Remember the US Grand Prix where he tried braking later and later at the end of the straight? I'd rather have ten Villeneuves in F1 than ten Schumachers.

I don't agree with your remark about road tracks. He qualified on pole in his first ever Grand Prix, in Australia, which was quite a difficult road track.

cp01ae
06-12-2004, 08:47 PM
There are MANY times F1 drivers have struggled to help improve a failing car. JV blotted his copybook by achieveing NOTHING !! If he'd managed to help the team develop a better car then he'd be up there with Stewart, Prost, Piquet, Schumacher in my books.
He didn't

You don't think the success of BAR this season had anything to do with Villeneuve? He helped get that team to where it is today.

Homem de Gelo
06-12-2004, 09:58 PM
It would be good to see him agian in a good car, but I'm still too skeptical about it.

Matra et Alpine
06-13-2004, 04:39 AM
You don't think the success of BAR this season had anything to do with Villeneuve? He helped get that team to where it is today.
You ARE joking, right ??
As long as Villeneuve was at BAR it was going backwards.

BAR's success can be placed 100% at Dave Richard's feet.
The man proved himself in buildign the best WRC team and car and has applied that leadership to BAR and managed to get Honda to realise that an equal partnership succeeds.

The reports of Villeneuve's attitude in the latter days of BAR Mk1 could have been a script for the a TV soap !!!