PDA

View Full Version : Is marijuana socially acceptable or cool IYO?

Kossy
04-25-2003, 05:33 AM
?

Nash
04-25-2003, 05:48 AM
If people want to smoke weed, then let them smoke weed. It doesn't make them any cooler, unless they're trying to impress the lame crowd. Same with smoking, if you're smoking just to impress some people, then you're obviously ****ed up.

Wheelman
04-25-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Nash
If people want to smoke weed, then let them smoke weed. It doesn't make them any cooler, unless they're trying to impress the lame crowd. Same with smoking, if you're smoking just to impress some people, then you're obviously ****ed up.

Meluion
04-25-2003, 06:05 AM
My little brother is stealing to get money for it.
It ruïned his life; kicked out of school, kicked out of the house...

I'm gonna be furious when my government would ever legalize it...:mad:

Kossy
04-25-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Meluion

I'm gonna be furious when my government would ever legalize it...:mad: Yea, people constantly argue that weed is harmless but no matter how many scientific facts they can pull out, you look how addictive weed is to many people and it totally takes their motivation away.

Hell_Unleashed
04-25-2003, 07:23 AM
I agree with all of you... Any drug that can be accused should be made illegal...
Its a shame how many ppl actually smoke and do drugs to act cool. If my brother eva gets into drugs... i'd probably kill 'im.

Hell_Unleashed
04-25-2003, 07:24 AM
Damn... my bad... I meant to say:
"Any drug that can be "ABUSED" should be made illegal..." :D

Jammer
04-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Hell_Unleashed
Damn... my bad... I meant to say:
"Any drug that can be "ABUSED" should be made illegal..." :D

O.K., but what about nicotine, alcohol, and even caffiene? These drugs are abused by people all over the world on a daily basis, so should thier use be illegal? Organizations like Alcoholics Anonymous in the US wouldn't exist if there was no abuse. What about over the counter meds like Tylenol or Aspirin? It's too muddy a line to distinguish between when you use the word 'abuse'.

I'm not arguing for the legalization or decriminalization of marijuana necessarily, but people have the choice whether they want to start doing or using something. Just because a drug is made illegal to sell or possess, won't neccessrily make it any harder to buy on the streets either. Look at coke or other drugs in the US again. Being 'illegal' doesn't make them hard to get.

I'm not trying to argue with you guys, but the argument is very complex or people would have had it figured out already.

Aych Es Vee
04-25-2003, 09:31 AM
not acceptable

Aych Es Vee
04-25-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Jammer
O.K., but what about nicotine, alcohol, and even caffiene? These drugs are abused by people all over the world on a daily basis, so should thier use be illegal? Organizations like Alcoholics Anonymous in the US wouldn't exist if there was no abuse. What about over the counter meds like Tylenol or Aspirin? It's too muddy a line to distinguish between when you use the word 'abuse'.

I'm not arguing for the legalization or decriminalization of marijuana necessarily, but people have the choice whether they want to start doing or using something. Just because a drug is made illegal to sell or possess, won't neccessrily make it any harder to buy on the streets either. Look at coke or other drugs in the US again. Being 'illegal' doesn't make them hard to get.

I'm not trying to argue with you guys, but the argument is very complex or people would have had it figured out already.

your tryin to argue

Rafale
04-25-2003, 10:38 AM

Then keep voting CDA :D

TrueChaoZ
04-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Ok I am not going to argue,
but I am going to tell you:

Drugs is for some people a need to be free
Drugs is for some people a need to be healthy
Drugs is for some people a need to NOT see this miserable world

Drugs is for some people deadly
Drugs is for some people a habbit
Drugs is for some people a lifestyle

Drugs must be legal
drugs= alcohol, 'drugs as we know it', medicin, cafeine and many more things

Humans are selfsupporting free minded beings,
we can think for our one good or bad
so WE can decide what is good for us
and if you're not old enough then it is your parent's fault and not the goverment
and so the GOVERMENT must not decide what is good

do what you think
act how you think
and please speak freely

but don't be a judge, when you ain't

Kossy
04-26-2003, 01:12 AM

I'm not trying to argue with you guys, but the argument is very complex or people would have had it figured out already. Dont bring marijuana down onto the same level as nicotine or caffeine

Nash
04-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by TrueChaoZ
Ok I am not going to argue,
but I am going to tell you:

Drugs is for some people a need to be free
Drugs is for some people a need to be healthy
Drugs is for some people a need to NOT see this miserable world

Drugs is for some people deadly
Drugs is for some people a habbit
Drugs is for some people a lifestyle

Drugs must be legal
drugs= alcohol, 'drugs as we know it', medicin, cafeine and many more things

Humans are selfsupporting free minded beings,
we can think for our one good or bad
so WE can decide what is good for us
and if you're not old enough then it is your parent's fault and not the goverment
and so the GOVERMENT must not decide what is good

do what you think
act how you think
and please speak freely

but don't be a judge, when you ain't

That sounded like a bad rap song.

TrueChaoZ
04-26-2003, 02:32 AM
drugs are a bad rap song

Jammer
04-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Kossy
Dont bring marijuana down onto the same level as nicotine or caffeine

They HAVE to be on the same level, because you have to define them as DRUGS. That's the whole point. Marijuana is just an 'illegal' drug (generally in most places), and the others are not.

If caffeine and nicotine aren't drugs, what do you suggest they are?

Hell_Unleashed
04-29-2003, 12:28 PM

I see ur point jammer and i do agree with u... but even alcohol can cause accidents and destroy ppls lives... so why not ban them too. Now, I am not an alcoholic and never will be... so it probably isn't fair for those ppl who do use alcohol when I say it should be illegalised... But hey... if I can live without it... so can nebody... Alcohol is not a very big issue though... a little bit of alcohol once in a while is known to be good for ur health... so... I don't think it is fair to compare this with stuff like weed and crack...

RealCashCFO
04-30-2003, 04:53 PM

So maybe if smoking a plant that will grow anywhere were not looked at as if you are robbing banks, the systems of society wouldnt be changing your brother from a pothead to a criminal...:(

RealCashCFO
04-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Hell_Unleashed
I see ur point jammer and i do agree with u... but even alcohol can cause accidents and destroy ppls lives... so why not ban them too. Now, I am not an alcoholic and never will be... so it probably isn't fair for those ppl who do use alcohol when I say it should be illegalised... But hey... if I can live without it... so can nebody... Alcohol is not a very big issue though... a little bit of alcohol once in a while is known to be good for ur health... so... I don't think it is fair to compare this with stuff like weed and crack...

btw alcohol kills more people in 1 year than marijuana has since the beginning of time.

Look for the book The Emperor Wears No Clothes... this will contain scientific documentation to support this statement.

Not that I agree with the use of marijuana, but it is in actuality less harmful than breathing air in Los Angeles. Let alone drinking excess alcohol, which is worse for you than nearly anything...

The more you know...

crisis
04-30-2003, 05:55 PM
No one steals old ladies bags or breaks into your house to get money to buy coffee. If you become part of the "coffee sub culture" the worst you will end up is drinking lattes on side walk cafes. More people drink alchohol than smoke MJ so it is likely to kill more. Its not whether it is legal or not or even if its a drug. Its what people do when they use it. Plenty of people drink alchohol in moderation. Many drink wine etc for the taste. Most people
I see smoking weed tend to end up as veges for the rest of the day/night or giggle incessantly. A lot of them who smoke everyday tend to have a distinctive way of speaking. Really sloooooow. The worst problem with any drugs is the sub culture. The **** wits and crims you end up meeting. Its also the type of insecure people that are drawn to drugs to try and give themselves an image. I dont smoke anything but enjoy alchohol, sometimes too much. Penalise the individuals heavily that **** up when they use drugs. Dont spend money rehabilitating. Dont accept excuses that they were high, drunk etc when they shot, stabbed, beat up or stole whatever.

Kossy
04-30-2003, 10:08 PM
They HAVE to be on the same level, because you have to define them as DRUGS. That's the whole point. Marijuana is just an 'illegal' drug (generally in most places), and the others are not.

If caffeine and nicotine aren't drugs, what do you suggest they are? Because, Einstein, Marijuana has very different, and many fold worse, effects.

BPx
06-20-2003, 01:25 PM
I don't care whether or not people do it. Everyone I know that does it (which is about 3 people) claim that it's harmless and has no effect on them... Yet, they never attempted to go to college, one of them dropped out of high school when he was going, and none of them have jobs are really do anything other than party. People can say it's harmless all they want, but from what I've seen it can ruin your life.

gaillardE
01-30-2004, 04:06 AM
Sorry for my english, I usually speak french but I just had to answer this question)

The problem isn't the drug itself. The problem comes from the reasons why and how someone would use it.
If a brother or a sister or a friend steels to get it, then maybe the problem is elsewhere and it's time for people around that person to look at themselves instead of juging.
Marijuana is far from being nocive. Human beings are much worse from my point of view.

more-boost1555
01-30-2004, 11:56 AM
I my self smoke the herb occasionally, I'd say about once a week usually. Me and one of my friends usually blaze on the weekends. For me...it's definately not habit forming, I enjoy smoking marijuana but I am by no means addicted. I smoke when I get the chance and have someone else to enjoy it with. Sometimes I go a month or two without smoking, sometimes I smoke several days in a row. I have never felt any pressing urge to do it though, no physical symptoms of addiction.

At it's base level I believe there is nothing wrong with smoking weed. It's not physically addictive, and it isn't much worse for your body than drinking or smoking cigarettes.

I do agree however that it can still cause many problems. Often when looking to buy it, you will come across very untrustworthy and unsavory characters (although if mj was decriminalized, this wouldn't be a problem). Also for certain weak willed individuals it can become a habit (psychological addiction is another animal completely), and lead to them becoming a burnout/loser/waste of life. Plus, although I believe it's affects to be much less than those of alcohol when it comes to coordination, it's still dangerous to drive impaired.

I don't know whether it should be legalised or not, but I do know that I enjoy it. And when used in moderation and with responsibility, it is no worse a drug than alcohol.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-30-2004, 02:53 PM
btw alcohol kills more people in 1 year than marijuana has since the beginning of time.

if more people were smoking it it would cause just as much car accidents as alcohol, plus marijuana aperantly has as much as three times the harmful toxins as cigrettes.

Egg Nog
01-30-2004, 07:34 PM
if more people were smoking it it would cause just as much car accidents as alcohol, plus marijuana aperantly has as much as three times the harmful toxins as cigrettes.

1) The average "heavy" marijuana user (at least over the age of 20) smokes around 1 joint per week.

2) How many cigarattes does the average "heavy" cigarette smoker have in a week?

3) Marijuana is not addictive.

Anyway, I don't consider pot to be "cool" at all, but I do use it on occasion. My brother and I grew 9 plants last summer, but we would never sell it. That's just stupid. Also, I would never use it if something important was coming up soon after.

As is the problem with basically every social issue in the world, the stupid, irresponsible people are the ones causing all the problems, and everyone else gets the reputation for it.

DiabloGTR
01-30-2004, 08:44 PM
1) The average "heavy" marijuana user (at least over the age of 20) smokes around 1 joint per week.

2) How many cigarattes does the average "heavy" cigarette smoker have in a week?

3) Marijuana is not addictive.

Anyway, I don't consider pot to be "cool" at all, but I do use it on occasion. My brother and I grew 9 plants last summer, but we would never sell it. That's just stupid. Also, I would never use it if something important was coming up soon after.

As is the problem with basically every social issue in the world, the stupid, irresponsible people are the ones causing all the problems, and everyone else gets the reputation for it.

Yes, but the majority of people who use it are irresponsible idiots, but some people do use it responsibly. You could make the same arguement about guns, alcohol and a bunch of other shit. Like I said, most people can't use the stuff in a responsible fashion so it should remain banned.
My brother and I grew 9 plants last summer, but we would never sell it.
What? Why not? I know it would be a risk to sell the stff but you could get quite a pay-day. You could be ****ing hustler. Many have made millions selling drugs.

I'm from Jamaica, Queens in New York City. I've seen people selling drugs like Marijuana, Cocaine, and once I saw some guy selling a "smoke Crack starter kit", complete with a very small bag of crack and a crack pipe. But not once did I even contemplate the idea of trying them out, not for social status or personal pleasure.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Anyway, I don't consider pot to be "cool" at all, but I do use it on occasion. My brother and I grew 9 plants last summer.
why? it's bad and illegal. I don't consider it Socially acceptable.

Egg Nog
01-31-2004, 12:16 AM
why? it's bad and illegal. I don't consider it Socially acceptable.

The legality of pot has little to do with any arguments I might have against it. Gay Marriage is still illegal in the USA; does that make the entire idea of it unacceptable?

And what do you mean "it's bad"?

Falcon500
01-31-2004, 05:36 AM
I have tryed weed on a number of occasions...i personally dont like it i cant help butlaugh and feel hungery half an hour later...hows that fun?
I personally smoke tobacco (rolled filterless smokes to be more precise) and i enjoy that on occasion i only smoke about 5 a day and compared to some pack a day smokers that is not bad at all. Here in australia your aloud to grow 2 plants under 2 metres and your only alloud to carry so many joints on you and your not aloud to sell...likewise if you are caught with it the cops will discard it off you...strange rule...
I personally dont find it socially acceptable of course normal cigarette smokers nowdays are considerd satin nowdays we are slowly being forced to stand outside of almost every building like strays.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-31-2004, 12:18 PM
The legality of pot has little to do with any arguments I might have against it. Gay Marriage is still illegal in the USA; does that make the entire idea of it unacceptable?

And what do you mean "it's bad"?
because it's synonomus with slobs and lowlifes. what's the big deal with it anyway? you smoke it and laugh a bunch? it's a waste of time.

also it is still bad for you even if you don't do it all the time, it changes your brain chemistry, and it causes phsycological problems. it's caused car accidents, and it has ruined peoples lives.

if you could sit in a crowded polace with a bunch of people around and smoke a joint without someone staring at you, or calling the cops that would make it socially acceptable.

Egg Nog
01-31-2004, 03:44 PM
because it's synonomus with slobs and lowlifes. what's the big deal with it anyway? you smoke it and laugh a bunch? it's a waste of time.

Well, it all depends on the person, but you can hardly just insult peoples tastes like that. Do you see anything wrong with laughing a bunch? Because that kicks ass. To rephrase something you said: what's the big deal with it anyway? you just log on and talk about cars? it's a waste of time.

also it is still bad for you even if you don't do it all the time, it changes your brain chemistry, and it causes phsycological problems. it's caused car accidents, and it has ruined peoples lives.

Winning the lottery has ruined peoples' lives, as have medical drugs. As for your comments on it being bad even if you don't do it all the time, I'm sorry, but that's not true at all. People who infrequesntly use it don't suffer from "psychological problems", at least not any that are caused my marijuana.

As for the car accidents: If you ask me, driking while stoned should be treated exactly like driving drunk. I could expand on why it's actually not as bad as drinking and driving, but regardless, driving on any mind-altering substances should always be illegal.

if you could sit in a crowded polace with a bunch of people around and smoke a joint without someone staring at you, or calling the cops that would make it socially acceptable.

At this point, I realise the difference between you and myself, as far as location goes. It all depends on where you are. In Vancouver, people don't stare or call the police over someone smoking a joint. Perhaps they do in Edmonton. In Vancouver, there's a line of stores called "Blunt Brothers", "Cabbages 'n Kinx", "BCMP (Marijuana Party) Headquarters", and the "New Amsterdam Cafe". Most of the time, cops will turn a blind eye.

Batmobile_Turbo
01-31-2004, 06:00 PM
Well, it all depends on the person, but you can hardly just insult peoples tastes like that. Do you see anything wrong with laughing a bunch? Because that kicks ass. To rephrase something you said: what's the big deal with it anyway? you just log on and talk about cars? it's a waste of time.

Winning the lottery has ruined peoples' lives, as have medical drugs. As for your comments on it being bad even if you don't do it all the time, I'm sorry, but that's not true at all. People who infrequesntly use it don't suffer from "psychological problems", at least not any that are caused my marijuana.

As for the car accidents: If you ask me, driking while stoned should be treated exactly like driving drunk. I could expand on why it's actually not as bad as drinking and driving, but regardless, driving on any mind-altering substances should always be illegal.

At this point, I realise the difference between you and myself, as far as location goes. It all depends on where you are. In Vancouver, people don't stare or call the police over someone smoking a joint. Perhaps they do in Edmonton. In Vancouver, there's a line of stores called "Blunt Brothers", "Cabbages 'n Kinx", "BCMP (Marijuana Party) Headquarters", and the "New Amsterdam Cafe". Most of the time, cops will turn a blind eye.
whatever, at least you don't drive while stoned. I wont change your veiw on the matter and i'm not changing mine, nothing much else to say...last post in this thread.

Egg Nog
01-31-2004, 06:20 PM
whatever, at least you don't drive while stoned. I wont change your veiw on the matter and i'm not changing mine, nothing much else to say...last post in this thread.

That's fair, to its fullest extent :)

Thanks for the conversation. Really, that was a good talk. +1 :)

Falcon500
01-31-2004, 06:34 PM
Well i gave into peer pressure and had weed and then had a bit ofa jaunt on it and ended up the worse for it. I am constanly forgetting things...anmd this is even while doing somthing the other day ipicked up a glass to have some water and i blinked and then looked at the glass and was trying to rember why i had it! I am now less balanced and slightly less coherant i constanly get caught on words and need to reconsider what im trying to say or find a new word i can actually use....while it never did ruin my life i still wish i never started before you blindly argue that its not hurting please consider what i just wrote it hurts you more then you realise and while i came of better then most i only wish i had of stopped long before i did.

Dragon.Knight
02-01-2004, 01:35 AM
I think that anything that your body isn't used to...anything forign that you place into your body is doing it harm. How much it harms you really depends on the person and their resilliance (sorry about my spelling). You can really never be too carefull and avoid any chance of harming yourself by just avoiding those kind of forign substances that your body wasn't ment to take in

Batmobile_Turbo
02-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Well i gave into peer pressure and had weed and then had a bit ofa jaunt on it and ended up the worse for it. I am constanly forgetting things...anmd this is even while doing somthing the other day ipicked up a glass to have some water and i blinked and then looked at the glass and was trying to rember why i had it! I am now less balanced and slightly less coherant i constanly get caught on words and need to reconsider what im trying to say or find a new word i can actually use....while it never did ruin my life i still wish i never started before you blindly argue that its not hurting please consider what i just wrote it hurts you more then you realise and while i came of better then most i only wish i had of stopped long before i did.
i know i said that I wsn't going to post on this thread again, but your story is saddening, i feel bad for you. however, i've noticed that you smoke, anyway I know that smoking will screw your life a whole lot more than marijuana will.

I think that anything that your body isn't used to...anything forign that you place into your body is doing it harm. How much it harms you really depends on the person and their resilliance (sorry about my spelling). You can really never be too carefull and avoid any chance of harming yourself by just avoiding those kind of forign substances that your body wasn't ment to take in
yes this is a good point, we were not meant to take in these substances, tobaco smoke, caffeine, other drugs, i don't know why didn't think of this point earlier. I would not take this chance.

Falcon500
02-01-2004, 02:46 AM
i know i said that I wsn't going to post on this thread again, but your story is saddening, i feel bad for you. however, i've noticed that you smoke, anyway I know that smoking will screw your life a whole lot more than marijuana will.

yes this is a good point, we were not meant to take in these substances, tobaco smoke, caffeine, other drugs, i don't know why didn't think of this point earlier. I would not take this chance.
Well dont be too sad even with peer pressure i still made my own choices and that was 2 years ago i gave up ive read up that unless you were a hard on stoner most of the time you will improve some what My balance is much better then when i stopped and my speech is only really addled in stressful situations. As for cigarete smokeing i do not indorese the habit one bit! and would not suggest it to anyone.... that said I enjoy my 3 or more smokes a day its a few mins of me time...i never smoke while driving i view that distracting (and hard to do in a manual car also) i also make an effort to move away from someone who doesnt wish to be near me while smoking.
As for the harm it causes tobacco is worse for cancer then weed (about 2 times the risk rember there still is a risk with weed) and the rolled cigarettes i smoke also smell more then anything else. While smoking is just as bad a weed it still doesnt kill off brain cells and doesnt turn you into a jibbering mess (although thats debateable with some cases ive seen i can go days without a smoke and some people start threatening to kill people for smokes if they cant have one every hour!) and last but not least tobacco is legal while not socially acceptable (not as much nowdays) it still is legal.
And cafine in moderation can be quite benaficial it contains quite a lotofgood stuff in it and reduces your likelyhood of getting diabetes while i personally dont like the stuff (tea drinker myself) its just when people drink too much its a problem....and even light drinkers have stained teeth.

NoOne
02-01-2004, 08:10 AM
I used to smoke weed in high school, quite a bit but not as much as some of my friends. I can't say that it affected me adversely, though some of my friends used it as a starter drug before getting into more "hardcore" drugs.

I haven't touched pot very much since shortly after high school, and I haven't touched it all since I've been married. I don't associate with my old high school friends anymore, because they are not the same people I once knew ... or maybe I'm not the same person they knew.

There isn't anyone in my close-knit group of friends that smoke now, I'm not sure if that was coincidental or if I've just removed myself far enough away from that scene.

Live and let live I guess, it might have been a case of social acceptance back then, now there are more important things to worry about. I do enjoy (errr ... overenjoy :p ) a few drinks often, but if I'm out, I either have the wife driving or cab fare.

bballmikey105
02-01-2004, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=

QUOTE]
How could winning the lottery ruin peoples lives? Marijuana causes memory loss, isnt that a phsycological problem?

I think that marijuana is a bad drug and i will never do it. I am undecided if it should be legal or not but as for other drugs i heard someone say on the first page that no drug should be illegal because he should be the judge if its bad or not. Either you are a scientist or an idiot. Some crazy teenagers will just swallow any drug at a party and kill themselves. at least making it illegal will make it a lot harder to get.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-01-2004, 03:25 PM
And cafine in moderation can be quite benaficial it contains quite a lotofgood stuff in it and reduces your likelyhood of getting diabetes while i personally dont like the stuff (tea drinker myself) its just when people drink too much its a problem....and even light drinkers have stained teeth.
i'm a tea drinker too, but i'm a bit hyopglosemic(very light diabetis) so caffeine makes me jittery.

Falcon500
02-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Well NoOne your right about when you stop you stop association with the people you used to use the stuff with at the time (13) i was social climbing a bit i was going with a groupthat people liked more and yeah i acted as they did done as they did and wrost of all done drugs as they did (though weed was the only stuff i touched other stuff was on offer) and after istopped (15/16) i sort of stood back and though "whats wrong with these people" most of them were abusing the stuff that hard that they were acting stoned 24/7 and i distanced myself and trod my own path from there on.
As for alcahol When i was working i spent every friday night at the pub met up with some friend played some pool (i play better after 2 drinks but then it falls sharplyany subsiquent drinks :D ) and had a good time i usually go out once a week....at the moment being unemplyed a fortnight and go iout and get drunk with my mates but unlike mostother substances alchahol is great while im drinking it and i dont crave it unless A Had a poop day at work and think a beer or a scotch would do me some good just the one or B partys not only do i enjoy drinking with my friends but they like me to drink because apprently im bloody funny when drunk.

crisis
02-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Yes.......

Falcon500
02-02-2004, 03:59 AM
Well on that note about gay marrage i view it unacceptable because of many reasons but all my personal feelings aside on the subject they are still chalk and cheese they all have very little to do with each other weed is contraban it gets discarded and burned and is a mind altering substance, where gay marrage is essentially 2 people of the same sex who wish to tie the knot what does that have to do with contraban? and whatdoes that have to do with the legalitly of it?

crisis
02-02-2004, 04:41 PM
where gay marrage is essentially 2 people of the same sex who wish to tie the knot what does that have to do with contraban? and whatdoes that have to do with the legalitly of it?
My how threads can loose direction. Still its worth a go. I personally dont care what anyone does as long as it does not negatively affect anyone else. I do find it a little hipocritical for people of this persuasion to ebrace what is originally a religious custom for the sanctioning of the joining of people as one in "holy matrimony" for the intention of procreating. Gay people break the rules in the Bible ( not an issue for me) yet still want to pick out a religious custom for purely sybolic reasons. Its more of a philosophical issue for me.

mechanixfetch
02-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Well, I've kinda missed the nice heated parts of this discussion beacuse I've been unable to visit the fourms recently due to Curling playoffs but here's my two penneth. I find that especially here in B.C. where our bud is legendary to the international community Weed is becoming more and more socially acceptable. It is hard to find someone in my group of friends who hasn't done it. I've tried it once and nothing happened and I've not really had the oppurtunity to do it again not to mention up until recently I'd been deathly afraid that my parents would findout. Egg Nog and I have had this discussion several times and he is right to an extent in saying that I can't criticize something I've never tried, BUT I haven't gotten drunk and then driven but I think I can safely condemn Drunk driving. I think that weed should be subjected to the same medical tests that all other medical drugs are subjected to and then if it passes it should be made legal. I have no real issue with it being around other than I think that is Daft and can be a touch dangerous. I think that is one of the biggest gray areas around sort of like alcohol (sp?) in prohibition USA. I say Test it, Try it, Choose.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-03-2004, 07:50 PM
it's probably ok for medicinal use, in certain doses. you can also get high on robatussin cough syrup but that is also for medicinal use. so should cogh syrup be illegal? the point i'm trying to make is that mj should be a perscribtion drug because it has medicinal proporties, and not used just for 'fun'.

Falcon500
02-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Well thats a diffrent bag in my opion i remember hearing about a frail old man on a current affairs program who had a sever case of caner and was constanly in pain and even after his doctor barracked for it the goverment would not bend to give him weed for medicinal use so him and his wife illigealy aquired some and made a large batch of has cookies giving the man day to day relief and he lived out the final 3 months of his life with out pain and still being able to tend to his garden (his hobby and somthing hes pured30 odd years into)
And on that note in NSW australia (technicly where i live but i say ACT its easier tolook on a map and say thats where he is) areconsidering trying marijunana spray for medicinal reasons because its is a proven pain killer and if used responabledoesnt really hobble your life style. And while im agreeing with that to a point if its availbe that way even with a hard to get perscripton it puts it out there and there WILL be people who will abuse it. So i guess were better off not letting it get to that point.

mr bill
02-03-2004, 10:32 PM
I've never toked up- but in my opinion: legalise it. The basis for this opinion? The provincial government of BC (not that I'm any fan of the, so called, 'liberals') could definately use the revenue generated by controlling the weed supply, rather then allowing the cash flow through an outside 3rd party system. And, anything that benifits the state, benifits the individual; therefor: go for it.

crisis
02-03-2004, 10:59 PM
the point i'm trying to make is that mj should be a perscribtion drug because it has medicinal proporties, and not used just for 'fun'.
The idea of inhaling any type of smoke into your lungs for its medicinal benefit seems a little radical. Particularly when there are less potentially damaging ways to control pain.

crisis
02-03-2004, 11:01 PM
I've never toked up- but in my opinion: legalise it. The basis for this opinion? The provincial government of BC (not that I'm any fan of the, so called, 'liberals') could definately use the revenue generated by controlling the weed supply, rather then allowing the cash flow through an outside 3rd party system. And, anything that benifits the state, benifits the individual; therefor: go for it.
Shit yeah, great idea. Why not legalise cocaine and heroin too. They could make a fortune from that shit. Plenty of other people do.

mr bill
02-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Well, with cigerettes legalised, I hardly see the differnce with legalising Coke and Heorin. At least then the supply is controlled by the state, rather then unstable 3rd party elements.

crisis
02-04-2004, 04:23 PM
At least then the supply is controlled by the state, rather then unstable 3rd party elements.
You have a lot of faith in the state.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-04-2004, 04:44 PM
The idea of inhaling any type of smoke into your lungs for its medicinal benefit seems a little radical. Particularly when there are less potentially damaging ways to control pain.
if for medicinal use, it shouldn't be smoked, eaten or something instead.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Well, with cigerettes legalised, I hardly see the differnce with legalising Coke and Heorin. At least then the supply is controlled by the state, rather then unstable 3rd party elements.
yes, canadien government brand cigarettes are everyones favorite :rolleyes: the tobacco industry isn't controlled by the government so how is it the same as legalising fatal substances?

mr bill
02-04-2004, 06:33 PM
The supply is controled by the state- a cigarete company cannot produce the cigarete without the approval of the state.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-04-2004, 10:58 PM
The supply is controled by the state- a cigarete company cannot produce the cigarete without the approval of the state.
that is worlds different than being controlled by the state. it is not condoned it is merely permitted.

Falcon500
02-05-2004, 02:53 AM
If they legalise it that means that companys would crop and be producing the stuff and all providing the meet the same limits the goverments own supply does there is very little they can do to stop it. I personally view that is a stupid idea its makes the stuff readily available and allows to many peopleto get their grubby mitts on it.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-05-2004, 08:44 AM
If they legalise it that means that companys would crop and be producing the stuff and all providing the meet the same limits the goverments own supply does there is very little they can do to stop it. I personally view that is a stupid idea its makes the stuff readily available and allows to many peopleto get their grubby mitts on it.
like someone said before, they should do tests on it and see the harmful and helpful proporties to it. I think it should only be used for medicinal purposes and not smoked either, i say don't legalise it.

ZerK
02-05-2004, 11:06 AM
http://www.freevibe.com/drug_facts/mj.asp

Falcon500
02-05-2004, 04:56 PM
like someone said before, they should do tests on it and see the harmful and helpful proporties to it. I think it should only be used for medicinal purposes and not smoked either, i say don't legalise it.
Yeah but like other drugs that can only be gotten through perscription or mail order it puts it out there making it all the easier to get hold of. It is a very effective pain killer but the side effects can be fairly major and there are less evasive drugs around...the only time weeds great as a pain killer is fataly ill people who in general are incapacitaded by pain and want some edge of movement and little to no pain...like the storie i posted a few postsback.