PDA

View Full Version : mid engine tranny

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-12-2004, 09:06 PM
are all rear mid engine car's transmissions cable shifted? since the gearbox is all the way back in the rear and driver is in front i dont see how a direct shift is possible

Matra et Alpine
06-13-2004, 04:33 AM
are all rear mid engine car's transmissions cable shifted? since the gearbox is all the way back in the rear and driver is in front i dont see how a direct shift is possible
Lots of mid-engine cars used gearboxes from FWD configurations.
Many of these were originally rod shift and retained this - even though the 'box shift comes out the rear of the bex.
That makes for a convoluted set of rods, rose-joints and pivots.
All which wear - trust me, I know :(
Where it is a custom designed transaxle for the rear, they can often still be rod as they are then directly connected. Connection being at the correct end of the configuration this time :)
Cable shift is common in modern cars so can be carried over into models using it in mid config.
Personally no competition car should use cables as they are less 'direct' and lack the feel a rod change has. ( Except when it goes through 3 pivots, 7 rose-joints and only works for about the first 20 changes :( )

Falcon500
06-13-2004, 05:19 AM
Isnt it true that the toyta MR2 shares the same engine and gearbox (or very similar) to the carolla only mounted in the rear as opposedto been mounted in the front?

fpv_gtho
06-13-2004, 05:34 AM
i know the Corrola Sportivo has the MR-2's 140kw engine, but it gains 1kw in the Corolla. I'm pretty sure the standard 100kw engine is a detuned version or variant

Egg Nog
06-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Isnt it true that the toyta MR2 shares the same engine and gearbox (or very similar) to the carolla only mounted in the rear as opposedto been mounted in the front?

The AW11 (Mk1) MR2 and the Corolla GT-S both used 4A-GE engines, but it was definately not the same tranny. Both were RWD, and thus, one engine was mounted longitudinally, and the other was transverse.

Anyway, I think my favorite mid-engine setup has got to be the McLaren F1's... the engine is longitudinal, and the tranny is transverse, with an input shaft that has its energy immediately transfered 90 degrees into the greabox. :) Basically, it allowed for everything to fit properly :)

Falcon500
06-13-2004, 06:54 PM
The AW11 (Mk1) MR2 and the Corolla GT-S both used 4A-GE engines, but it was definately not the same tranny. Both were RWD, and thus, one engine was mounted longitudinally, and the other was transverse.
Well thats what the guy at evo motorsport (grey importers) said too me...if you need engine parts and cant find any for a decent price go to the wreckers and take them off a wrecked carolla...i actually quite like the MR2 their on my rather longlist of possibiltys for my next car ;)

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-13-2004, 08:30 PM
hmm formula 1 is semiauto gearbox ...

Falcon500
06-13-2004, 09:02 PM
hmm formula 1 is semiauto gearbox ...
Are you talking about the McLarens gearbox there? or f1s? i was under the impression that it was full manaul but i must admit my knowlage on the car is severly limited.....

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Are you talking about the McLarens gearbox there? or f1s? i was under the impression that it was full manaul but i must admit my knowlage on the car is severly limited.....

i think the 2004 rules dictates the driver must manually control the gearbox now but im almost 100% sure that in the few years b4 this one it was paddle shifted