PDA

View Full Version : TH-425 transmission

V8turbo4me
06-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Hello everyone,

So I've decided that I am going to use a manta montage as my base car to build a fun and fairly cheap sports car. I am thinking I am going to use a TH-425 automatic transmission from an oldsmobile toranado because I have heard that it is nearly bulletproof. If anyone can tell me any specs about actual capabilities please let me know. Also if anyone knows and other transaxle that is a stronger set up that is readily available please let me know.

sandwich
06-24-2004, 08:49 PM
extremely heavy (take your approximate target weight and add 400lbs), big in size, power capacity is about 400 I think, and It's automatic.

My father (and I before him) is facing the same question on his Valkyrie. I encourage you to look to the Audi 5000s or cs (Fwd). These are fairly readily available, and power is up to 400 hp. I do believe you'll see more upgrade and strengthening kits in the future.

Also, I saw at the Carlisle show a company that was making a kit to strengthen the 914 transaxle. If you could find this, and buy it (the kit was less than 1000), you could get a cheap setup.

A montage is a decent base. Tube Frame or VW? Keeping the body or trying to style your own?