PDA

View Full Version : Mustang ecu errors

TheOne
06-14-2004, 07:43 PM
what i wanna know is if a service engine light can erase by itself if stuff has been fixed or otherwise corrected. the car am talking about is a 2000 mustang GT that just got a saleen M91 supercharger installed, saleen ecu and bbk fuel pump. we found a vacuum leak but it was fixed, the car was running fine after that but the service engine light was still on, but yesterday somehow the light just turned off so am wondering if it can turn off by itself.(the car is making 350rwhp & 377rwtq with the supercharger, off-road x-pipes and flowmasters and a 75mm throttle body:) i might have to change the tranny sometime soon ).

Niko_Fx
06-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Crap I have the "Check Engine" light on since I put the new headers and removed the catalyc converter on my civic... The Oxygen sensors are placed almost where they should be but still I get "check engine" thingy. I guess engines are very sensible to new/aftermarket stuff.

Sorry I don't anything about your prob, in the Ford dealership they will be able to shut that light off for you.

Post some pics of that beast :)

TheOne
06-19-2004, 03:19 AM
the mustang made 8.3 secs on 1/8 strip around town with slicks, 8.7 with street tires, and the service engine light didn't turn on.

RX7 FC3S
06-22-2004, 09:27 AM
I doubt the dealer would try do anything as this happens after you install the aftermarket parts. I think certain warranty would be voided if you install stuff from unauthorized places.

The light can turn off by itself not only when the problem is fixed, but also when the problem is not fixed. My Forrester used to have a spark plug problem that caused the light goes on. It turns off by itself after I drove it for a while. However, it went on again later. The problem was still there, just the light is off. So, I suggest you check it again even though the light is off now.

Could it be due to some loose connections of some electronic wires?

RX7 FC3S
06-22-2004, 09:33 AM
On second thought... I am wondering what actually happens when you get the check light on and you take it to dealer/auto bodyshop to fix it. After they fixed the problem, would they reset the light right away, instead of waiting for the computer to find it out?

'cause it might just be there is a delay for the computer to recognize the problem is fixed, thus the light is off a while after the problem is fixed.

I am not sure about this though, 'cause I thought it is supposed to check for problems constantly not periodically.

DodgeNitroBIRM
07-01-2004, 03:29 PM
You have to clear the CEL (Check Engine Light). The technician will do it after making the repairs.

[QUOTE\Niko_Fx]Crap I have the "Check Engine" light on since I put the new headers and removed the catalyc converter on my civic... The Oxygen sensors are placed almost where they should be but still I get "check engine" thingy. I guess engines are very sensible to new/aftermarket stuff.[QUOTE]

You're problem is the fact you don't have the cat.s back on. It will always cut the CEL on without them because those O2 Sensors are not only monitoring the O2 levels, but the NOx levels as well. The cat.s get rid of or lower the NOx.

TheOne
07-01-2004, 04:04 PM
nowdays the engine light turns on and off, not every time of the day but every other day....