PDA

View Full Version : The worst car you've ever driven...

VtecMini
06-15-2004, 02:07 PM
I thought I'd bring this up, cos I felt it's more likely to get entertaining and truthful responses than "What's the fastest/best/biggest car you've ever driven", or at least so I'd imagine. :)

The main reason I thought I'd post this is actually cos I had the misfortune of having to drop a colleagues company car off at the local Ford dealership. (I live local, he doesn't, so I foolishly volunteered to run the errand).

It was a W reg (early 2001?) Ford Mondeo 2.0 Petrol.

The seat was uncomfortable, the driving position was... well... wrong. The steering felt as though it was being assisted back to it's central position by a spring the size of a shock absorber, which meant that every time I loosened my grip on the wheel at any point, the damn thing tried to go straight forwards. For a 2 Litre 16 valve it felt lethargic and uninterested in going anywhere soon. The brakes were wooden, the clutch was creaky and the gearbox felt like stirring a bag of bolts with a spanner. The gear knob itself was a slightly rounded off cube. The fascinating bit is that some guy out there actually got paid to design that.

The only real redeeming feature was the stereo. It was nothing special, but it worked. Which was nice.

To be fair, It's a company car. It's probably been mistreated and abused all it's life. But it was still horrible.

I know that there's people out there that have driven hundreds of cars, all the way down to Austin Allegros, Tata pickups and god knows what else, but the point I'm kinda getting at is that this is a modern car. I've driven cars fifteen years older than that thing that were more comfortable and satisfying!

.:DB9:.
06-15-2004, 02:14 PM
lol - I dont care what I drive .. at my age your just grateful that you've got behind the wheel of a car :D

Mustang
06-15-2004, 02:46 PM
lol - I dont care what I drive .. at my age your just grateful that you've got behind the wheel of a car :D

i agree we young uns need all the practice we can get for the srtict british laws :mad:

bk4uyeah
06-15-2004, 03:54 PM
1991 rusted out, powder blue, Ford Taurus Wagon

byronleehk
06-15-2004, 04:17 PM
1980 Mazda 323 1.5 with nothing. Had a boombox as the car radio/stereo. 80% of the time you have to double / triple clutch to get 2nd gear in (still grinded). One of the rear taillights had red masking tape over because the original plastic one was broken. Wipers didn't work. You could 'peddle to the metal' and still won't get a speeding ticket in a 40mph zone.

That was my ex-girlfriend's car :D

SlickHolden
06-15-2004, 07:25 PM
81 ford falcon
60% was rusted out, Engine coverd in oil couldnt find the leak there was that many, No back seat, 3speed auto with only 2 gears that worked would jump from first to second and back anytime it felt like it, No handbrake 4 doors only 2 open, suspension was shot the front was 100mm hire then rear, The speedo wouldnt work so it had markings on the rpm for speeds only one light on higbeams, Power steering worked fine. Lucky this wasnt my car, The man that owned it was a family friend he used this car on the farm and only drove it to his work as a logger

bent
06-15-2004, 08:55 PM
The Best and Worst I've ever driven was my 70 something dodge custom sport van. I owned it around 8 or 9 years ago and I know we mustve almost died in that thing several times.

I remember my friend turning to a passenger in the van claiming "Looks like a van, drives like a ferrari!"

About that time I pass a cop going about 20 miles over the the speedlimit.

It was also a piece of crap in many ways, like the steering was loose as hell and it had A-Team spoilers on it. Man, what a ride.

henk4
06-15-2004, 10:35 PM
If I can change it to the passive form, the cars that have been described so far compare very well to the taxi's we have to use overhere. These are either old Lada's or even worse Moskvitches, or ragged down second hand european imports from the eigthies. The roads are pothole galore and this is reflected in bended suspensions and unround wheels which makes a very interesting drive. Nevertheless they move but the drivers appear to take the old adagium: "if it aint'broke don't fix it" a little bit too literally.

Falcon500
06-16-2004, 06:45 AM
My sunny...looks as good as it goes SHIT....capets fallign apart...vauge stearing...consumes more oil then petrol....and the fact i never wanted it (long story) also the clutch is going...and it needs more work then im willing to put into that car and thats just to keep it going...worst ive driven probly not...worst ive owned hell yes.....Hate it WITH AS MUCH ENTHUSIAUM AS I PUT INTO MY MOTORSPORT AND MY FOOTY!

So it might not be the worst but i hate that car more then anyother on the planet! sunnys are good cas but i took that car under pressure if i chose to buy it off my own back i wouldent complain...i want it gone i cant wait to get a car i like....

Mustang
06-16-2004, 11:22 AM
erm think mine has to be a 1.0 metro from about 15 years ago, was rusted and rotten and basically fell apart was we were driving round fie;ds in it :p

my mate ended up burning the clutch out, and without that we couldnt get it in gear so ground all the gears up eventually then, pusing the gear stick so hard to try and get it in gear, we managed to snap the gear stick off rite at the bottom so that was the end of that car :p

SPHFerrari
06-16-2004, 03:21 PM
well, mine is pretty nice for the worst car ive driven: 2001 green toyota camry

sandwich
06-16-2004, 06:23 PM
The worst car? Hmm...i test drove a 1976 Mercury Cougar...the steering was so loose that you could turn left and the car would drift right. I was doing 40 and it was THE most frightened i had ever been in an automobile.

we also had an mg b in the family that apparently would just quit braking whenever it wanted to....then come back to life when my dad was driving it. Thankfully, I didn't want it and we sold it.

Egg Nog
06-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Earlier on today today, I was behind the wheel of the worst car I've ever had the unfortunate experience of driving... Early 80s Civic. Carbed. Beige.

I'm toodling along at around 80 (km/h), when traffic speeds up ahead. Flooring it in fifth makes absolutely no difference from putting the clutch in and coasting, so I downshift to fourth. Strangely, same thing... not accelerating at all. I didn't want to try going as far as third, because I knew it couldn't even do 80 in third :)

By the way, Nigel (he's on UCP lately) is renting this car from someone for $100 a month. I had to drive because everyone I was "babysitting" the night before was too hungover ;)

Falcon500
06-17-2004, 06:24 AM
I'm toodling along at around 80 (km/h), when traffic speeds up ahead. Flooring it in fifth makes absolutely no difference from putting the clutch in and coasting, so I downshift to fourth. Strangely, same thing... not accelerating at all. I didn't want to try going as far as third, because I knew it couldn't even do 80 in third :)

By the way, Nigel (he's on UCP lately) is renting this car from someone for $100 a month. I had to drive because everyone I was "babysitting" the night before was too hungover ;)Welcome to my world...the sunny does that too :(
Im lucky enough to of never been the designated driver :) Why doesnt he save up the $100 a month for about 5 months...thatll get him something drivable....

cls12vg30
06-17-2004, 07:02 AM
Without question the worst vehicle I ever drove was a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport that I rented on a business trip to Dallas in 2000. Even though it was brand new it was horrible, it was like driving a boat. It was so top-heavy it turned like a ship, and listed so much in the turns that it was more like a sinking ship. The 3.0 V6 was totally underpowered, and the transmission sucked. While merging onto a freeway I punched the gas and it took a full second to downshift and actually start moving, I thought I was going to get rear-ended. You do a lot of U-turns on the surface streets in Dallas because many of them are divided, and it was impossible in this thing unless you had at least 3 lanes in the other direction to work with.

Doctor_Gonzo
06-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Ford Taurus, Ford Falcon, Mazda 323... Hm. Guys, you have never driven russian cars.If All that you named compare with russian VAZ,GAZ,UAZ... it sound like you're comparing Mercedes S600 with Opel Kadett. Russian VAZ 2106 (this number mean nothing) is the copy of Fiat 124 Which was produced in 70s with negligible differences. It doesn't have ABS, any airbags, power steering, air conditioning... It has nothing. And this is the 21st century. Another models more modern, but they still havent ABS, air conditioning... No one russian car has automatic transmission. The most powerfull VAZ cars have Opel 150 hp engine (only for order) or russian 98 hp engine. GAZ Volga has almost 5 metres of lenght and has 2.4 l, 4 cylinder 130 hp engine. Only this year it 's produced with independent front suspension. The crash testes showed that only one russian car will keep the life of driver and passenger. (EURONCAP method) That's fun, isn't it?

Egg Nog
06-18-2004, 01:11 AM
Welcome to my world...the sunny does that too :(
Im lucky enough to of never been the designated driver :) Why doesnt he save up the $100 a month for about 5 months...thatll get him something drivable....

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4229

He's renting the civic as somewhat of a commuter vehicle... see the link above for his "drivable" car :) ;)

SL500
06-18-2004, 01:48 AM
hilman hunter -paykan highline

Spastik_Roach
06-18-2004, 01:52 AM
Hey my mum used to have A Hillman Hunter! They're grooovy little cars!

SL500
06-18-2004, 01:54 AM
Hey my mum used to have A Hillman Hunter! They're grooovy little cars!
they suck,all i can say

Matra et Alpine
06-18-2004, 02:55 AM
hilman hunter -paykan highline
well the Paykan was a bit of a disaster.
Take a car and engien designed in the 60s, components made in Britian in the WORST of it's union troubles and have them assembled in Iran, in a new factory with new recently trained locals.

That any of the crates arrived with all the parts in surprised most folks !!
( I spent a short spell working for Chrysler UK in the 70s :) )

SL500
06-18-2004, 03:54 AM
I spent a short spell working for Chrysler UK in the 70s
good for you
btw,im from iran

Matra et Alpine
06-18-2004, 04:15 AM
I guesed that with the reference to the Paykan :)

are there any still around ?
In India you STILL find the Morris Oxfords driving around.
That was a 60's version of the 'hunter' deal.

British companies would palm-off old production to countries looking to get an auto industry started. Was the hunter manufacturing ever moved to Iran ? I only remember the kits being shipped in crates.

Falcon500
06-18-2004, 04:17 AM
I found a hillman hunter in the paper the other day...it was a $100 special...i wanted to buy it to go bush in but was told not too :rolleyes:

Matra et Alpine
06-18-2004, 04:27 AM
I found a hillman hunter in the paper the other day...it was a $100 special...i wanted to buy it to go bush in but was told not too :rolleyes:
good advice, unlikely to get past the first pothole !!

NOT a great car :) Won endurance rally, but the only parts common were the wings !!!

henk4
06-18-2004, 04:28 AM

The Hindustan Ambassador is still the most used car for civil servants I think, I spent many unhappy hours in these things, and also in Indian traffic.

Falcon500
06-18-2004, 04:52 AM
good advice, unlikely to get past the first pothole !!

NOT a great car :) Won endurance rally, but the only parts common were the wings !!!
Oh and here i was thinking london to sydney winnin car....funny howe the XT falcon that came third was mostly stock....and it must be fairly ordinary if it made it past your scottish patrioisum :p

Niko_Fx
06-18-2004, 05:14 AM
My friend's Fiat (I believe it's a Fiat UNO). From the 80's and with 250,000Km on it. The engine is one of the smallest I've seen but makes more noise than a truck, slow as hell, bumpy ride and almost impossible to get it into reverse.
We call it "El Turbo" But that's just for fun. The other nick it has is "La Chatarra" which I believe its right translation would be "Driftwood"

But it used to take us from A to B in Vzla and at least it's a car that thiefs won't look at ;)

SL500
06-18-2004, 01:21 PM
I guesed that with the reference to the Paykan :)

are there any still around ?
That was a 60's version of the 'hunter' deal.

British companies would palm-off old production to countries looking to get an auto industry started. Was the hunter manufacturing ever moved to Iran ? I only remember the kits being shipped in crates.
yes,theyre alot of them here in iran-taxi,even police(LOL!)....
theyre cheap,and looks like crap,i hate them,theyre noisy,uncomfortable,weak(heavy and 1600i engine 4 inline-about 76 bhp @ 4500 rpm i dont know how much torque it produce)
most of them have a hard steering wheel-hard for spin-and many more problems,its actually 1 am and i cant think about them,sorry ill give you more infos of them
in my country,are peugeot 405 rear drive!with paykan highline engines,piece of crap indeed,they are aweful
bye for now

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Mercury Mystique (Ford Contour). To be specific my dad's mystique, I hate to be say this because it makes me seem like an import noob but american engineering sucks, this car doesnt have the ability to close the vents so ur constantly eating the exhaust from the car infront of you, no heated mirrors, the power steering broke 1 day after the warrentee expired which meant turning became a chore. I've had a bad history with american cars, of the 3 accidents i've been in throughout my life (none caused by me), all 3 involved an american car. Obviously this doesn't mean anything but its just bad karma. The 2 other cars our household owns is a Honda Accord 98 EX V6 which I addore and a 99 Corrolla LE which is my sister's. If I had to quantify my love/hate of these 3 cars I'd say the accord gets a full score of 10. corolla a 7 and the mystique a 1 just because it moves.

Niko_Fx
06-18-2004, 03:15 PM
By the way, Nigel (he's on UCP lately) is renting this car from someone for $100 a month. I had to drive because everyone I was "babysitting" the night before was too hungover ;)

Why is he doing this? Is the MR2 being repaired or something?

MkIISupraGirl
06-21-2004, 01:38 PM
worse car I ever drove was a 1986 Dodge Colt. It was given to me for free, but it wasn't even worth that much :D
1.5 liter 69hp and the slowest shifting automatic transmission EVER. 0-30mph in 10 seconds or more. Even after tranny flushes, filter changes etc. What a crapbox

mad_max
06-26-2004, 06:47 AM
the worst car to both drive and look at is a 1996 honda legend. it drives like its on glue and the acceleration pedal has a 3 secound delay before a stupid lump of v6 bgegins to push the car forward.i tried to overtake on the fast lane and the indicator comes on when u accelerate.the wood inside the car is more like sawdust and the seats feel like rocks

mad_max
06-26-2004, 06:49 AM
worse car I ever drove was a 1986 Dodge Colt. It was given to me for free, but it wasn't even worth that much :D
1.5 liter 69hp and the slowest shifting automatic transmission EVER. 0-30mph in 10 seconds or more. Even after tranny flushes, filter changes etc. What a crapbox there was one of those cars near an abondoned warehouse and within weeks it was set alight by a group of people

Karrmann
06-26-2004, 05:38 PM
A plymouth Voyager, ididn't drive it 3 blocks before going back to the dealorship and getting my money back. That car sucked.

CassioC
07-02-2004, 12:32 PM
The absolute worst car I have ever driven was a 1990 (or 1991?) Lamborghini Diablo. It was white with cream interior, and I couldn't believe it when I got to drive it. This was one of those dreams coming true moments, which I think is why I was so utterly devastated by the experience.

Firstly, the seating position was absolutely horrendous. Getting in and out of the car was impossible, and you couldn't see out of it. The interior materials were good, but had some cheap kitsch-y parts (not what you'd expect in a car costing a quarter million USD). But fine, this is an exotic, not a Civic. Onto the driving...

The gearbox, until it warms up, is incredibly hard, and that gated shifter makes things much harder (nothing like the Ferrari's, which is also gated). The steering felt like a truck--no power assist, which meant getting those huge front tires to turn at low speeds involved a real work out. The brakes were grabby at low speeds, and a little vague once you go faster (though they did a great job of hauling the car down). The worst part, however, was the pedal arrangements. They are so small and placed so close together (those massive front tires intruding into the footwell) that once I took my foot off the clutch I "lost" the pedal, and hit the brakes as well (I also have big-ish feet). The only solution was to keep my left foot hovering over the clutch pedal.

Noisy, brutal, excessively harsh ride, atrocious ergonomics, and (this is the kicker) an engine that began overheating after only 10 minutes of spirited driving. What a let down. I still can't believe that Lamborghini had the courage to charge people that much money for a car with that sort of build quality. Long live Porsche and the NSX!

I've driven cars with 1,000 cc engines with no a/c and plastic seats in the middle of summer in Rio, and nothing has come close to the utter crapiness of the Diablo...

...I heard that the Murcielago and Gallardo are light years ahead of it though.

Karrmann
07-02-2004, 04:21 PM
all those problems have been solved in the Murchileago

taz_rocks_miami
07-14-2004, 11:10 PM
The worst car I've ever driven was a VW Beatle while on a trip in Mexico last year. Remember that Mexico was still building them new up until recently! This was a 2003 model. I've never seen a more spartan interior in my life!! The only guage was the speedometer ( with a little needle pointing the gasoline level ), the seat, yuck!! The clutch, let me put it this way, I've been driving manual cars for about 20 years and I've never stalled a car so many times!! Made me feel like a beginer!! The steering, very heavy and vague and god forbid you go too fast in a corner, it understeers like mad, right before the tail end swings out on you! Breaks? 4 wheel DRUMS!!!!!. The engine, very very noisy and with only 44 hp on tap, not much movement. I'm gonna stop now, feeling kinda sick...

Taz.

Matra et Alpine
07-15-2004, 02:34 AM
The worst car I've ever driven was a VW Beatle while on a trip in Mexico last year. Remember that Mexico was still building them new up until recently! This was a 2003 model. I've never seen a more spartan interior in my life!!
Have to defend them a little. They dont' care abotu their own car interior on the whole. So a rental isn't going to get much better. Also, you should have been warned NOT to hire a Beetle :)

The only guage was the speedometer ( with a little needle pointing the gasoline level ), the seat, yuck!!
Spartan is as spartan does :)

The steering, very heavy and vague and god forbid you go too fast in a corner, it understeers like mad, right before the tail end swings out on you! Breaks? 4 wheel DRUMS!!!!!.
That generation were used to that :)

The engine, very very noisy and with only 44 hp on tap, not much movement.
Well you were 1 1/2 miles up and the lowest octane pettrol going.

I'm gonna stop now, feeling kinda sick...

Taz.
They do that to you in Mexico so you are releived to get on a plane and dont' think about the state of IT :)

Falcon500
07-15-2004, 02:54 AM
Well my old man used to love driveing his fathers beetle and used to every chance he got untill he got his first datsun 1000.....

And you shouldent be so soft...ive drivan around in a ton and a half of american iron(well actually canadian by that time) with drums all round and unassisted stearing and loved it :)

SPN:DOC
07-15-2004, 04:54 AM
yes,theyre alot of them here in iran-taxi,even police(LOL!)....
theyre cheap,and looks like crap,i hate them,theyre noisy,uncomfortable,weak(heavy and 1600i engine 4 inline-about 76 bhp @ 4500 rpm i dont know how much torque it produce)
most of them have a hard steering wheel-hard for spin-and many more problems,its actually 1 am and i cant think about them,sorry ill give you more infos of them
in my country,are peugeot 405 rear drive!with paykan highline engines,piece of crap indeed,they are aweful
bye for now

I heard it the end of the Paykan, the cars manufacturer, Iran Khodro has signed a deal with Renault to jointly produce a budget model, currently known as the X90 for the local market in Iran.. :confused:

Rijoh
08-30-2004, 02:19 PM
The worst car I've ever driven is a Peugeot 206 HDI. Actually it's the only car I've ever driven :o I still have to drive it till I get my driving license, than I can drive my dad's Opel Omega, at last :D

UK CARS
08-30-2004, 02:43 PM
worst car ever drivin for me, probally the FisherPrice Corvette, though ive herd the real one is worse :D
http://www.kidswheels.com/images/products/264842_full.jpg

Mustang
08-30-2004, 03:01 PM
1L metro, the Mk1 :p

http://www.minipassionmini.50megs.com/imagenes/fotos/metro.jpg

crisis
08-31-2004, 12:40 AM
Have to defend them a little. They dont' care abotu their own car interior on the whole. So a rental isn't going to get much better. Also, you should have been warned NOT to hire a Beetle :)

Spartan is as spartan does :)

That generation were used to that :)

Well you were 1 1/2 miles up and the lowest octane pettrol going.

They do that to you in Mexico so you are releived to get on a plane and dont' think about the state of IT :)
Again with the defence of the VW. No matter, its also a starter in my worst ride stakes. Also count a Datsun 180B, 120Y, a 76 Escort that had a rooted steering rack that shuddered when you hit the brakes, my first car a 62 EK Holden (sorry grandpa (and thanks anyway)). I also remember nearly rolling a 80s vintage Mitsubishi courier van on a sweeping bend doing 50kmh.

Blue Supra
09-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Morris Austin 1800, i think its called that anyways it has hydro elastic suspension, dad used to sell them, my mate in college after having a drunk chick put him throught the windshield of his 180B (dont ask this guys an idiot) he got one of these things, he let me drive although i dont know why i bothered, i suppose because im young and havent driven many different cars. it had a steering wheel the size of a 44 gallon drum lid and about as thick too, completely gutless auto (colum shift from memory) bench seat, the "hydro-elastic suspension" was a bit lacking in the actual suspension department, there was something wrong with the fuel system or exhaust or something so it had a flaming exhaust! Also a 85 ford falcon, a couple of canadian mates were living in Aus for a few months, this thing was on LPG, had no power steering, bench seat coloum shift, only 2 outta 3 gears worked, the timing was out so it was completetly gutless and they took this thing from canberra right around victoria south australia up through the red centre around into queensland and there it stayed not because it died but becasue one of the crashed into some1 else and they just sold it to a wreckers and bussed it back to canberra,

those were the good old days. *sigh*

Lagonda
09-09-2004, 01:13 PM
The worst car I've ever driven is a Peugeot 206 HDI. Actually it's the only car I've ever driven :o I still have to drive it till I get my driving license, than I can drive my dad's Opel Omega, at last :D

The 206 HDi is a great car ! The HDi engines are great, I would certainly prefer the 206 over any Opel Omega (especially the 2.5 diesel with the crap 142bhp BMW engine). Drive a Ford Escort once, then you will say that the 206 is heaven :D

F1_Master
09-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Does a ripped driver's seat Pontiac Fiero count? I mean its ok...

jcp123
10-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Hard for me to think of...I haven;t driven that many cars, but I'll tell you the 2k4 Corolla S loaner car we had was a real piece. No balls. Hard suspension. Not very refined in the least; I'd rather have my old Focus than that thing, and it wasn't a terribly inspiring car. At least it rode a little short of harsh and was probably at the end of its shakedown so nothing else would have broken.

DEATH2000
10-15-2004, 02:21 PM
The sh*tiest car ive ever driven has to be my moms 95 Ford Windstar, the steering is to jerky, and the gas is waaaay to sensitive for me. my uncles 72 Lincoln Conntinental is better and its like 15ft long!!! The worst car in the world has to be a mazda 323, we had one as a rental and its the biggest P.O.S u will ever see, the seats sucked, the stering was almost nonexistent, and u had u had to have super human strentgh to shift the bloody thing. the second i saw it i said "oh shit, this is gonna be one crappy ride".

McReis
10-18-2004, 10:52 AM

I had never seen this post. I think I'll kill you Rijoh! I have a 206 2.0 HDI. I can only forgive you because you've never driven another car.

Anyway, tell me: It was your worst drive but it was still great, right? :D

henk4
10-18-2004, 11:04 AM
I had never seen this post. I think I'll kill you Rijoh! I have a 206 2.0 HDI. I can only forgive you because you've never driven another car.

Anyway, tell me: It was your worst drive but it was still great, right? :D

He has just turned 18 and the 206 is his lessons vehicle. I told him that it was going to be easy, because you don't need the throttle to get going, just gently release the cliutch. He agreed to that but still hated the car! :D

McReis
10-18-2004, 11:14 AM
He has just turned 18 and the 206 is his lessons vehicle. I told him that it was going to be easy, because you don't need the throttle to get going, just gently release the cliutch. He agreed to that but still hated the car! :D

Lucky boy!! My lessons vehicle was a MKI Opel Corsa, with a broken suspension and steering hard as hell! :D:D:D

henk4
10-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Lucky boy!! My lessons vehicle was a MKI Opel Corsa, with a broken suspension and steering hard as hell! :D:D:D

I had a Fiat 124, then the car of the year, now only known as the Lada.

McReis
10-18-2004, 11:20 AM
I had a Fiat 124, then the car of the year, now only known as the Lada.

:D:D:D:D:D

At least it was a RWD, wich meant you could park easily and make very fast u-turns. :)

I drove a few times (before i had license) a 128. It was 124's FWD decendent.

My father and mother had their lessons in an original VW beetle.

henk4
10-18-2004, 11:27 AM
:D:D:D:D:D

At least it was a RWD, wich meant you could park easily and make very fast u-turns. :)

I drove a few times (before i had license) a 128. It was 124's FWD decendent.

My father and mother had their lessons in an original VW beetle.

My father had a 128, then a 131, a 131 Supermirafiri (2000 TC) then a Tipo, a Punto a Brava and finally a Stilo (We inherited that car when he died last year). His first car was an 850 Coupe, that came just after I had got my license.

McReis
10-18-2004, 11:32 AM
My father had a 128, then a 131, a 131 Supermirafiri (2000 TC) then a Tipo, a Punto a Brava and finally a Stilo (We inherited that car when he died last year). His first car was an 850 Coupe, that came just after I had got my license.

Wow! Nice first car! ;) Just like mine. It had 2 or 4 backlights?
He was definitely a Fiat lover. It's shame Fiat has been a deception for Fiat lovers since 20 years ago or so.

The Supermirafiori was a very fast car very used by the undercover portuguese policeman in the 80's. Understated and ugly! :D I'd love to own a 131 Abarth. :cool:

henk4
10-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Wow! Nice first car! ;) Just like mine. It had 2 or 4 backlights?
He was definitely a Fiat lover. It's shame Fiat has been a deception for Fiat lovers since 20 years ago or so.

The Supermirafiori was a very fast car very used by the undercover portuguese policeman in the 80's. Understated and ugly! :D I'd love to own a 131 Abarth. :cool:

We had a first series 1967 coupe, extra was the big rev counter, it really was a hoot to drive.

McReis
10-18-2004, 11:39 AM
We had a first series 1967 coupe, extra was the big rev counter, it really was a hoot to drive.

Exactly like mine! Didn't knew the rev counter as an extra.

henk4
10-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Exactly like mine! Didn't knew the rev counter as an extra.

in 1967 cost about 60 euro additionally. The standard right hand dial was a bit barren.

McReis
10-18-2004, 11:43 AM
in 1967 cost about 60 euro additionally. The standard right hand dial was a bit barren.

I know! In fact i've seen a picture of it in an old brochure, but thought it was standard only in some country spec. Never thought the lady who was our friend and original and only former owner of the car, would order such a thing as a rev counter. :)

henk4
10-18-2004, 11:46 AM
I know! In fact i've seen a picture of it in an old brochure, but thought it was standard only in some country spec. Never thought the lady who was our friend and original and only former owner of the car, would order such a thing as a rev counter. :)

Actually I put some pressure to buy it, it looked soo much better, and the red line was so far way (was it 6500??)

McReis
10-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Actually I put some pressure to buy it, it looked soo much better, and the red line was so far way (was it 6500??)

It's 6000, but it goes easily into it. So we always have to be tender with the right foot. The last thing I want to do is to arm the little thing. :)

henk4
10-18-2004, 11:52 AM
It's 6000, but it goes easily into it. So we always have to be tender with the right foot. The last thing I want to do is to arm the little thing. :)

well the whole 47 BHP came at 6250, so you had to be a bit rude from time to time

McReis
10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
well the whole 47 BHP came at 6250, so you had to be a bit rude from time to time

Ok, so maybe I'm wrong. I've already posted a photo of me driving my car where you can actually see the rev counter, but I can't seem to find it. I guess it is maybe 6500. In a car like that, you never think of it very often do you? :D

stratos
10-18-2004, 12:01 PM
i'm only 14 so ... the worst car i ever drive was a toyota pod in gt-concept :D:D

henk4
10-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Ok, so maybe I'm wrong. I've already posted a photo of me driving my car where you can actually see the rev counter, but I can't seem to find it. I guess it is maybe 6500. In a car like that, you never think of it very often do you? :D

actually all the time, even on the motorway it ran dangerously close to the red area.

Matra et Alpine
10-18-2004, 01:27 PM
I'd love to own a 131 Abarth. :cool:
I remember them on the RAC ! I LOVE the Fiat TC. Great engine in full tune :)

Radoman
10-24-2004, 12:53 AM
I've driven some bad cars so far, and I'm still young (19). I work in the service dept. of a GM Dealership, and the worst cars I've driven are rotten old Pontiac Trans-sports (the older ones with the wind shield extending out over the engine, and beyond), a Pontiac Fiero that nearly put me off cheap mid-engine cars (until I got my MR2 :D), and a particularly NASTY Plymouth Reliant (the dreaded K-car).

I'l start with the trans-sport. also known as Chevy's Lumina van, these POS's don't age well. There's always something wrong with the engine, several switches and dials in the dash broken or missing, at least ONE door handle that doesn't work... one in particular had a copious amount of coffee and other liquids spilt inside, and the interior was simply rotten, making it almost undriveable. The Paint being in miserable condition, the driver's side door handle completely missing and an exhaust leak didn't help any, either.
needless to say, it wasn't any fun.

the fiero... well, it wasn't THAT bad, but the driving characteristics where so pathetic, I was beginning to have second thoughts on an 86' MR2 I had my eye on, at the time (this proved to be a rather silly fear, obviously. I quickly found that car to be MUCH nicer, and I quickly fell in love with it.).
a worthless engine, ridiculous suspension and handling, overly stiff steering, and a nasty odeur put me right off.

but those pale in comparison... to the K-car. Worthless pile that one is. For starters, the styling. how god damned hard is it to make something that ISN'T nauseating to look at? raise the back end a little, round out the edges... jeez, it looks like the designer was 8 years old and drew some geometric shapes with a ruler, and they left it at that.

now, this particular car I'm talking about, I first did it one year ago. As soon as I "opened" the door, It's little chiming dealie let loose. Either the wiring was torched, or it was possessed by satan, as it made various dings and dongs in random tones and scales. just getting in and hearing this thing was already sickening.

the carpet was almost completely worn through all throughout the cabin, and it's black plastic was greasy and filthy. I wished I had gloves, or a crucifix. After being assaulted by a surprisingly eerie and rather offensive door chime, I started this pile up, and was greeted with what sounded a sick chihuahua(Spelling?) crying in pain. when it finally let loose after three tries, the motor grumbled and turned into now what sounding like little elves shovelling coal into the steamer of a large, ancient ship. blah.

driving it wasn't any better, as the Automatic tranny was sloppy, and the shifter had trouble finding the gears. when it finally worked, it choppily ploughed away towards where I was going. Thankfully, the ride didn't last long. what a piece of...

As for biggest dissapointment, a 68' Camaro. ye gads, those things drive like absolute piles. it took a full 5 minutes of fiddling with the stick to get it into reverse. the clutch and steering was far too heavy, and the brakes didn't work worth a damn. It sounded nice, it looked nice, it was fairly comfortable, and it sure went pressing on the peddle, but forget enjoying any other aspects of driving the thing. It belonged to the Body Shop manager, who had knee trouble and could barely walk (he had to use a walker), so Imagine my surprise when he rolled up driving the thing almost every day during summer.

McReis
10-26-2004, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't like this thread to die right now, so here's my tale:

I drove more than one Morris Marina 1.5D. What about that?

Hardest steering, clutch and even acelerator in the world! :) The carter keeps banging the floor and it goes no further than 110 km/h.
It's so noisy inside and out that it's considered anti-social.

Best of all, at night, when your neighbourhood is quiet, you can ear it rusting away!

Turbonutter55
11-09-2004, 08:04 AM
The worst car anyone in my family has ever had was a Ford Galaxy 2.0 petrol. Drives like a boat, and crappy build quality both on the interior and with the electrics. The gutters would fill with leaves, so water would flood the cabin and short everything.

ashes2ashes
11-09-2004, 09:16 AM
the worst car I ever drove was a 1982 Metro GL or something. It sucked. It was slow and tin, the gears are so close together, that I kept slipping into 4th instead of 2nd and the stupid car would stall. It was damp in the winter and just a horrid car all around.. I also drove a 1986 Oldsmobile Delta, reminded me of a steam ship, large and just belching smoke! I hated both of them.

BMW325
11-09-2004, 02:24 PM
well im not gonna list any of the used cars that ive driven, since any car can be crappy if its been beat on enough...

some crappy new cars that ive driven: (i used to work at a GM dealership)
Buick Century (but the Regal GS isnt bad if you dont mind torque-steer)
Hummer H2 (bloated, ugly, cheap plastic interior bits)
Chevy Cavalier Coupe (ugly, weak, feels cheap, below-average handling)
Chevy Impala LS (ugly exterior, ugly interior, boring drive)
Chevy Monte Carlo (ugly, boring, impractical)
Chevy Blazer 4x4...not Trailblazer (feels cheap, poor driver)
Chevy Camaro V6 (slow, feels cheap, bloated, huge heavy doors)

Radoman
11-13-2004, 12:13 AM
well im not gonna list any of the used cars that ive driven, since any car can be crappy if its been beat on enough...

some crappy new cars that ive driven: (i used to work at a GM dealership)
Buick Century (but the Regal GS isnt bad if you dont mind torque-steer)
Hummer H2 (bloated, ugly, cheap plastic interior bits)
Chevy Cavalier Coupe (ugly, weak, feels cheap, below-average handling)
Chevy Impala LS (ugly exterior, ugly interior, boring drive)
Chevy Monte Carlo (ugly, boring, impractical)
Chevy Blazer 4x4...not Trailblazer (feels cheap, poor driver)
Chevy Camaro V6 (slow, feels cheap, bloated, huge heavy doors)

amen there, buddy. I still work at a GM dealership, and get the slightly less revolting Pontiac versions of these cars.

jcp123
11-13-2004, 01:19 AM
As for biggest disappointment, a 68' Camaro. ye gads, those things drive like absolute piles. it took a full 5 minutes of fiddling with the stick to get it into reverse. the clutch and steering was far too heavy, and the brakes didn't work worth a damn. It sounded nice, it looked nice, it was fairly comfortable, and it sure went pressing on the peddle, but forget enjoying any other aspects of driving the thing. It belonged to the Body Shop manager, who had knee trouble and could barely walk (he had to use a walker), so Imagine my surprise when he rolled up driving the thing almost every day during summer.

*sigh* shakes head at the young folks indoctrinated with new cars.

Probably had manual steering and drum brakes. Get it with power discs and power steering, and it's a whole different ballgame. This was a fairly typical car for the 50's and 60's in that regard, in that it had none of the power stuff.

Strange you should put it that way, we briefly had a '66 Mustang 4-speed with manual steering and manual brakes, and I thought it was one of the most fun cars I'd ever driven. I found it to be just as maneuverable as ones with all the power stuff, but you just had to be hamhanded about it. It was a very "masculine" experience, you could say. And in fact, I like my current Mustang's brakes (front disc, rear drum) far better when I run them without the power boost than with. Maybe I'm just weird.

The clutches were so heavy back then because they didn't have the hydraulic boosters on them, and though I could live with it, it got to be a pain in the ass, too. Chevy Muncie transmissions were not ever known for their smooth shifting though...

crisis
11-14-2004, 05:43 PM
*sigh* shakes head at the young folks indoctrinated with new cars.

Probably had manual steering and drum brakes. Get it with power discs and power steering, and it's a whole different ballgame. This was a fairly typical car for the 50's and 60's in that regard, in that it had none of the power stuff.

Strange you should put it that way, we briefly had a '66 Mustang 4-speed with manual steering and manual brakes, and I thought it was one of the most fun cars I'd ever driven. I found it to be just as maneuverable as ones with all the power stuff, but you just had to be hamhanded about it. It was a very "masculine" experience, you could say. And in fact, I like my current Mustang's brakes (front disc, rear drum) far better when I run them without the power boost than with. Maybe I'm just weird.

The clutches were so heavy back then because they didn't have the hydraulic boosters on them, and though I could live with it, it got to be a pain in the ass, too. Chevy Muncie transmissions were not ever known for their smooth shifting though...

The only great thing about those old cars is the nostalgia they create. In absolute terms they are awful in all the areas you describe. Much like todays cars will be in comparison to what we will have in 20 years.

jcp123
11-14-2004, 05:46 PM
To each their own I suppose...I prefer the way they (the classics) drive, the character they each have. If you know how to actually drive them, they really aren't that much slower than today's cars; it just takes some extra skill and concentration.

Personally, I can't stand driving new cars, they put me to sleep in the way they seemingly all drive the same. I have yet to find one that evokes passion in me...but I suppose I can see why someone would enjoy the mechanical precision.

Spastik_Roach
11-14-2004, 08:27 PM
For a "courtesy" car once we got a Mitsubishi Mirage Station Wagon, and old 1986 one. Smelt Horrible and drove like a starved hippopotamus. Thats the best way to describe it.

RS6
11-21-2004, 09:22 AM
The Vauxhall Nova. What a rubbish car!

Matra et Alpine
11-21-2004, 10:14 AM
The Vauxhall Nova. What a rubbish car!

Well it depends the model perhaps.

Afer all Colin McRae won his first BRitish Championship driving a Nova.

There are Novas and there are Novas.

it's kinda like saying Focus is cr@p because of the CL and ignoring the ST170 :)

But to agree, on the whole the Nova was poo :)

jcp123
11-21-2004, 07:04 PM
I just remembered the ol BMW 2002 we had at school as the school racer. Ugly as sin to begin with and the "mods" didn't help it. The glass, carpet, chrome, etc. was all stripped, and the front suspension replaced with a Ground Control setup. It was painted red and rolled on yellow (yes, yellow) mini-lite wheels. Yuck. It was actually incredibly fun to drive, but couldn't clear even a normal speed bump in the parking lot. And then there was that awful mechanical fuel injection...we never could get that tuned, even after a solid month of tinkering with it. Drove me nuts, I wish we'd carb'd that thing instead. We were never able to get rid of the rough idle and super rich running, and it got all of about a mile to the gallon on a good day, usually a half mile per gallon. OH, and then there was that transmission! You couldn't shift into first unless you brought it to a complete halt. Ugh.

Turbonutter55
11-23-2004, 01:59 PM
The only great thing about those old cars is the nostalgia they create. In absolute terms they are awful in all the areas you describe. Much like todays cars will be in comparison to what we will have in 20 years.
Correction: to what we will BE ABLE to make in 20 years. By 2024, the average car will probably be ugly as sin (due to pedestrian safety regs), be limited to 50 mph by law, have a hideously underpowered electric motor, and you'll be exorbitantly overcharged for the dubious privilege of driving one of these as slowly and safely as possible, with the minimum of enjoyment, from A to B with no detours for interesting C. And if you attempt, despite its low top speed, anaesthetized steering, and 20-second 0-30 time, to wring an ounce of fun from one of these machines, you'll be caught by its inbuilt sensors, have all your worldly assets confiscated, and be thrown into jail for "dangerous driving". And while all you former car-nuts wail and moan behind the wheel of an ElectroMove 3000 (as these golf-carts may be called) me and jcp123 will drive past in our lovingly preserved muscle-cars (run on ethanol, of course, as the oil will have run out) and laugh at you.

crisis
11-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Correction: to what we will BE ABLE to make in 20 years. By 2024, the average car will probably be ugly as sin (due to pedestrian safety regs), be limited to 50 mph by law, have a hideously underpowered electric motor, and you'll be exorbitantly overcharged for the dubious privilege of driving one of these as slowly and safely as possible, with the minimum of enjoyment, from A to B with no detours for interesting C. And if you attempt, despite its low top speed, anaesthetized steering, and 20-second 0-30 time, to wring an ounce of fun from one of these machines, you'll be caught by its inbuilt sensors, have all your worldly assets confiscated, and be thrown into jail for "dangerous driving". And while all you former car-nuts wail and moan behind the wheel of an ElectroMove 3000 (as these golf-carts may be called) me and jcp123 will drive past in our lovingly preserved muscle-cars (run on ethanol, of course, as the oil will have run out) and laugh at you.
I'll hang on to my (by then) Classic 2002 Commodore SV8 and join you.

jcp123
11-23-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm actually not sure that any of today's cars will be classics? I mean, are the shadetree mechanics of tomorrow going to even bother with today's complicated cars? I'm inclined to say no.

henk4
11-23-2004, 08:59 PM
I'll hang on to my (by then) Classic 2002 Commodore SV8 and join you.

the part about the ethanol propelled muscle cars driving past is just wishful thinking. If conditions will develop as harshly as described, all other than electro cars will be banned from public roads in the interest of safety. Remaining muscle cars will be allowed to drive around designated 1 mile tracks belonging to a museum. If I will be still around I will come and watch you doing that :)

jcp123
11-23-2004, 10:15 PM
I should start making chemist friends so they can come up with some formulas as replacement fuel. The thought of that much technology in my "car" of the future makes me shudder.

crisis
11-23-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm actually not sure that any of today's cars will be classics? I mean, are the shadetree mechanics of tomorrow going to even bother with today's complicated cars? I'm inclined to say no.
Far easier to tune EFI computer base ignition than a complex 4 Barrel, lumpy cam and dodgy distributor. Plug me in.

crisis
11-23-2004, 10:32 PM
the part about the ethanol propelled muscle cars driving past is just wishful thinking. If conditions will develop as harshly as described, all other than electro cars will be banned from public roads in the interest of safety. Remaining muscle cars will be allowed to drive around designated 1 mile tracks belonging to a museum. If I will be still around I will come and watch you doing that :)
Doom and Gloom. 20 years ago we were going to run out any day. 30 years ago we were all supposed to be going around in flying cars. 10 years ago a 350 V8 wouldnt be getting 15 lt per 100k around the city.

Blue Supra
11-23-2004, 10:36 PM
good point, things are always better then the gloom artists paint them...

henk4
11-23-2004, 10:49 PM
D 10 years ago a 350 V8 wouldnt be getting 15 lt per 100k around the city.

You are getting that now? I do hope you live in a small city :)

crisis
11-23-2004, 11:00 PM
You are getting that now? I do hope you live in a small city :)
Very. I know I could double that with half the cylinders and half the car and probably half the octane and definately half the fun.

Blue Supra
11-23-2004, 11:39 PM
15 - 17 bucks for 100km travelling is cheaper then most bus and train services in Autralia:D

jcp123
11-24-2004, 01:08 AM
Far easier to tune EFI computer base ignition than a complex 4 Barrel, lumpy cam and dodgy distributor. Plug me in.

But when it goes awry? Then you're screwed. Not to mention these electronic systems are that much more to maintain in and of themselves, and today's cars have almost no room to even do basic maintenance. I really don't think shadetree mechanics are going to bother.

PS I don't like lumpy cams. Not enough low-end torque, and makes the engine rev too high for its power. I prefer realitively big heads paired with a mild, near-stock cam packed with as much lift as I can get out of it. For the 351W I wanna build, I'm thinking AFR165 heads (165cc intake ports, 1.94" intake valve/1.6" exhaust valve) and a cam that's only about 210*/210* @ .050 and ~.500/.500 lift. This makes for a mild mannered engine with an extremely broad powerband that pulls just about everywhere, plus it maintains a more agreeable idle and gets better mileage. Although the power will probably peak around 6k rpm (very very high for me), it will have nearly as much torque under 2k rpm as my 302 currently does, and more advantageous gearing will keep it a very strong motor around town. This is all according to Engine Analyzer 3.0 which has so far proven itself fairly accurate.

I haven't touched my carb in a long time, it still runs like a swiss watch. It doesn't take much to tune it, same for the dizzy. Try workin on one sometime, it's not bad at all.

crisis
11-24-2004, 04:11 PM
But when it goes awry? Then you're screwed. Not to mention these electronic systems are that much more to maintain in and of themselves, and today's cars have almost no room to even do basic maintenance.
You buy another ECU. By then I'll probably have the software on my ipod anyway. :)

Blue Supra
11-24-2004, 06:50 PM
apple does have AMAZING software ill give them that;)
it wouldnt suprise me if you could run your car from an iPOD in 2 years:p