PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 vs. Champcar

Meluion
04-25-2003, 05:48 AM
I think a Formula 1 car would be faster on a racetrack, because they are lighter and such.
On an oval a Champcar would win I think; Their engines last longer. :)

Ghost
04-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Formula Cars will always win hands down. The cars may be two different styles but you can't compare to the quality of the drivers. F1 will always win

Homem de Gelo
04-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Lasst year F1 and CART raced in Montreal, on the Gilles Villeneuve race track. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but F1 cars were many seconds faster than the CART cars. Even though Montreal is a track that does favour F1 cars, I expect them to be faster than CART cars on any other race track.

It's not possible to imagine a comparision at oval courses, simply because F1 cars are not built to be raced on ovals.

Kudosdude
05-01-2003, 03:40 AM
I'm afraid your comparing chalk and cheese. The rule books are VERY different; I'm afraid they may look outwardly similar; they aren't.

neerav.galathia
09-24-2007, 11:05 PM
ya its true that they are light but tha:confused: t also never proves they can get good speed
heavier cars having more displacement can definitely run faster.

henk4
09-24-2007, 11:13 PM
ya its true that they are light but tha:confused: t also never proves they can get good speed

just a little practice with the font size and you will find your way here..welcome..

jediali
09-24-2007, 11:58 PM

well what makes power? diplacement alone?..no. A powerful engine can be light and low in capacity. If the car is light then torque is of less significance, hence lower capacities (ignoring forced induction) can be used. I hope you fit in here but I say think (and learn to use font sizes properly) before maing odd claims..

monaroCountry
09-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Difference between faster and quicker, F1 might be quicker but champ might be faster. I dont really know because I find both boring to watch.

Kitdy
09-25-2007, 01:59 AM
Difference between faster and quicker, F1 might be quicker but champ might be faster. I dont really know because I find both boring to watch.

What's your poison?

torque55
09-25-2007, 03:47 AM
f1 is more about state of the art technology. Yes there are similarities in the their layout. But for sure around a track the f1 car ought to be quicker, and obviously on an oval the champcar would win.

also i beleive the driving style is quite different, in f1 its more about finnese, while in champcar its more like muscling around

fpv_gtho
09-25-2007, 06:56 AM
also i beleive the driving style is quite different, in f1 its more about finnese, while in champcar its more like muscling around

Champ Car has physically larger, heavier cars and engines with a narrower powerband. F1 in comparison the performance is very linear.

Ingolstadt
09-25-2007, 09:00 AM
concluded. Topic of thread is boring.

harryhowser
10-24-2007, 03:19 AM
Here's an article that may be of interest for comparison:-

F1 Technology : F1 - Champ - IRL - F1Technical.net (http://www.f1technical.net/topics/11)

Fiorano
10-24-2007, 01:03 PM
it isn't about power or dilevery of power..
currently F1 have tractional control and carbon brakes- definately makes a faster trip around a circuit..
Champcar has Steel brakes nad no traction control. lap times will be seconds off when you need more room to stop and more time feather throttle to apply power- the fundamentals of each formula are for different ends so comparison is moot. Champcars hav more room to show error and provide for error, where as in F1 the driver can show lesss error and have more technological aids to help out.
Mansell thought champcar (CART) was worth a title to have, Andretti the first did a well, Paul Stoddart... so many see the good of the racing.
And the champcar beat the toyota F1 around laguna seca- not the best comparo but it did (more power via push to pass i believe....)

Lord Lucan
10-24-2007, 02:37 PM
both are the most boring forms of m/sport now, if they want to liven them up then they should make the F1 cars have a proper clutch and stick shift, proper slick tyres, at least then it would be more about the driver driving the car.

Champ car they need real circuits to race on instead of going round in circles and get rid of the turbo's

kingofthering
10-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Champ car they need real circuits to race on instead of going round in circles and get rid of the turbo's

Wha? Please enlighten.

Coventrysucks
10-24-2007, 06:42 PM
they should make the F1 cars have a proper clutch and stick shift, proper slick tyres, at least then it would be more about the driver driving the car.

F1, Formula BMW, Formula Renault, GP2, F3, LMP1, LMP2, GT1, GT2, WTCC, WRC, DTM...

Who would have thought none of them were about drivers driving the car. Shocked, I am.

I doubt that those changes would alter the fact that it is the aerodynamics effectively prevent any overtaking.