PDA

View Full Version : Brock set to tackle Paris-Dakar in Holden Adventra

fpv_gtho
06-15-2004, 10:00 PM
BROCK TO RUN HOLDEN ADVENTRA IN 2006 PARIS DAKAR?

Australian racing legend Peter Brock and former Formula One glamour boy Eddie Irvine could be racing Holden Adventra-bodied prototypes in the 2006 Paris Dakar Rally if an Australian team's ambitious plan comes to fruition.

Led by chief engineer Rob D'Ercole and designer Tony Cavallaro, the Gold Coast team wants to field two cars in class T2 -- the category for prototype vehicles -- making outright victory a distinct possibility.
"We are a long way down the track with the cars," said D'Ercole, a former Ralliart engineer. "The car is a work of art. Peter Brock has seen the car and he's very keen on driving it in the event. We are doing the deal now to get Brock into the car. I have also spoken to (ex-F1 driver) Alex Yoong and Eddie Irvine. They are interested in the second car."
Corporate support will play a significant role in determining what road car-based body and engine the team will employ. Though the possible Brock connection, the team's desire to run a big V8 and the all-Australian nature of the outfit suggests Adventra would be a good fit, Holden interest is at best luke-warm.
Brock confirmed his interest in the project but was cautious about any involvement, saying a huge amount of money still needed to be raised to fund the massive undertaking.
"I think they could build a hell of a car and from what I've seen thus far; it is what you would need to win the Paris Dakar. (But) between the idea and it happening are fairly large challenges," Brock told CarPoint.
"I have helped him with presentations and opened a few doors for him here and there but the sort of money he is talking about is fairly substantial. He has had a talk with Holden but they are not particularly interested. It would be fabulous given the degree of difficulty and magnitude of the event (but) as weeks go by you say there must be a cut off point where you can't fit it in.
"Whether I'm the man he finishes up with at this time I don't know. I would like to be involved and help him achieve his aims but all I can say is let's get stuck into it and see what happens."
D'Ercole plans to run the car in next year's Australian Safari, an event he is confident of winning.
"All things being equal, if we have a good run with the car and it's reliable, we'll walk away with that one. There's no car in Australia that's going to get anywhere near it."
The team may also test the car in the Finke Desert Rally prior to the Australian Safari.