PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 Gears

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-17-2004, 04:06 PM
anyone know the gear ratios of the williams formula 1 car? i know they dont publish the current ones but what about last season's or the year before that?

i want to try and find the max speed on these cars but since none of the tracks currently in F1 allow them to reach that speed ill have to do some theory work.

if anyone knows the final gear and 7th gear ratio please post

Ferrari Tifosi
06-17-2004, 04:20 PM
The gear ratios change from track to track, so there isn't any absolute gear ratios. Also, you can't find that information since it is very precious to the teams. If I would guess though, I'd say their top speeds are somewhere between 225-230 mph.

Matra et Alpine
06-17-2004, 05:41 PM
the other huge variable is the aero package.

As F1s always have to handle high speed variabel corners, they tend to have a restrictive aero package with Cd's that would shock you :)

With the right physics package, you could calculate it for 'perfect' aero of .25, interesting but meaningless.

cp01ae
06-17-2004, 05:44 PM
You have to figure that with different ratios at each track, they don't let the car get much faster than its going to go on the fastest part of the track, its a waste of energy. plus what Matra said about the Cd, the amount of down-force on those cars limits their top end.