PDA

View Full Version : Highest F1 speed ever

Meluion
04-25-2003, 05:54 AM
In 1999 Eddie Irvine in his Ferrari on the old (long) Hockenheim track, came out of the slipstream of the car in front of him and the Tag Heuer timer on television read 366 km/u.

Does anyone know of an higher speed in F1 on television?

Homem de Gelo
04-25-2003, 02:45 PM
I thought the record belonged to Jena Alesi at Monza in 2001, with the help of some slip stream, he reached 362.5 km/h.

piledriver
04-29-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Arcanjo
I thought the record belonged to Jena Alesi at Monza in 2001, with the help of some slip stream, he reached 362.5 km/h.

You´re right, this is the official record for F1 highest speed.

Scientist
04-29-2003, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I heard about those records.

I saw a video once about Formula 1 cars. They wanted to reach the highest possible top speed with the 2000 BAR F1 car.

They drove it on a test track in normal race setup (for Monza) and reached 368 km/h.
When they made a different setup, they reached 392 km/h, and said that was the absolute top speed for this car.

Meluion
05-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Is that the fastest RACE-car at the moment?
Or would a LM-prototype or a IRL-car be faster with a (very) high topspeed setting? Or maybe even a NASCAR... (which can go very fast when they are not racing with restrictor plates).

Hakk
05-07-2003, 11:54 PM
I believe that the F1 cars were, are and will be the faster ever (We are not talking about drags of course)...

I have heard a lot of people (including me!!! in 1999) to say that the CART is faster. But I realised that the F1 car is not made for ovals...If the car had wings only for a oval race it would have been a lot more quick than the today CARTs

Homem de Gelo
05-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Meluion
Is that the fastest RACE-car at the moment?
Or would a LM-prototype or a IRL-car be faster with a (very) high topspeed setting? Or maybe even a NASCAR... (which can go very fast when they are not racing with restrictor plates).

If we are only talking about top speeds, I think CART is the winner. It has around 800 hp and a very small frontal area. That combined with the lowest dornforce setting possible and the proper gear ratio should make it comfortably beat the 400 km/h mark.

Maurício Gulhemin already touched 400 km/h once when he was testing at Inidianapolis, but I can't remember in which year it was.

DasModell
05-14-2003, 10:25 AM
F1 cars are build to go fast on the type of circuits the F1 calendar is made of .. if they would race superspeedways .. it is rumoured that the cars could go to 420 kph ... ... but now . only Monza is a trac with a very high speed straight ... so only aprox.360 .. is more than enough .. don't think CART or IRL can go faster than that on the Monza circuit

guyt_x
06-05-2003, 03:03 PM
I might be wrong about the figures
but i recall an instance where montoya lost his rear wing and down some strait he reached just over 400kph but Im not sure

he later said to comentators he was just having some fun because his race was over.... hmmm it have been during qualifying

american cars suck ass and they should try race F1 and not that pussy indy car

motorhead
06-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by DasModell
F1 cars are build to go fast on the type of circuits the F1 calendar is made of .. if they would race superspeedways .. it is rumoured that the cars could go to 420 kph ... ... but now . only Monza is a trac with a very high speed straight ... so only aprox.360 .. is more than enough .. don't think CART or IRL can go faster than that on the Monza circuit montreal has absolutely long straights also

guyt_x
06-24-2003, 10:44 PM
F1 is the pinicle of motorsport and sooner the americans realise that the sooner they might actually enter with all there money and maybe show the world they arent red necks how can only drive round in circles.

Homem de Gelo
06-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by guyt_x
I might be wrong about the figures
but i recall an instance where montoya lost his rear wing and down some strait he reached just over 400kph but Im not sure

he later said to comentators he was just having some fun because his race was over.... hmmm it have been during qualifying

american cars suck ass and they should try race F1 and not that pussy indy car

I think you're talking about this year's race at Sepang. Montoya lost his rear wing on the first lap and reached 317 km/h down the back straight.

Regarding your comment about the american cars, shut the **** up.

guyt_x
06-25-2003, 10:42 PM
this was last year or the year before.

and 317 is not a very high speed in F1 terms.

and american motor sports do suck and the filter down into there production cars.

sleep

MoMurda
06-26-2003, 02:23 PM
F1 is the pinicle of motorsport and sooner the americans realise that the sooner they might actually enter with all there money and maybe show the world they arent red necks how can only drive round in circles.

LMAO, Your so right, I shouldn't be laughing. the sonner the better, one race in sept in indinapolis doesn't cut it.

guyt_x
06-27-2003, 12:40 AM
so we can see where every one comes from.

Nash
06-29-2003, 11:54 PM

Each user is supposed to update it himself.

henk4
06-30-2003, 02:46 AM

we should be judged by our opinions and not by where we come from. We are all inhabitants of a planet called earth. (at least in English).

guyt_x
06-30-2003, 02:55 AM
it is just interesting to see which countries people have what views

henk4
06-30-2003, 03:05 AM
it is just interesting to see which countries people have what views

When I express views they are mine and not necessarily those of my country. Besides of this I have addressed this issue right here because of your own prejudiced views about one country, (not mine), and although I share some of these views I feel the way you are expressing them is rather counterproductive.

guyt_x
06-30-2003, 03:28 AM
if people are embarressed by there country or its actions then I suppose it is better that people dont say what country they are from.

henk4
06-30-2003, 03:47 AM
if people are embarressed by there country or its actions then I suppose it is better that people dont say what country they are from.

I think it is irrelevant when discussing cars whether you are proud of your country or not.

Homem de Gelo
06-30-2003, 07:33 AM

This has absolutely nothing to do with embarassment, it's a simple matter of people minding their own business and not telling others more than they want to.

Supra-Devil
07-08-2003, 06:47 AM
its 365.3/kmp.h

guyt_x
07-08-2003, 11:47 PM
what track?
what year?
what driver?
what car?

Quiggs
08-05-2003, 11:26 AM
A few years ago (2-3 if I remember correctly), Winston Cup driver Kenny Schrader did a test session at Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama. For fun, they took one of their normal motors, and not one using a restrictor plate, and ran a few test laps around the 2.66 mile oval. His best lap averaged 233.something mph, or 382kph. Not bad for a 3500lb car with only a 4 speed gearbox. :D

piledriver
08-09-2003, 11:01 PM
If I´m not wrong, Gil de Ferran´s speed world record is 389 km/h average speed at fontana in 2000 when he was CART Series champion...
the top speed in that lap should be more than 410 km/h... I think...

12-16-2005, 07:29 PM
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/speed

the real deal
12-17-2005, 01:10 PM
F1 cars are build to go fast on the type of circuits the F1 calendar is made of .. if they would race superspeedways .. it is rumoured that the cars could go to 420 kph ... ... but now . only Monza is a trac with a very high speed straight ... so only aprox.360 .. is more than enough .. don't think CART or IRL can go faster than that on the Monza circuit

The fastest recorded formula 1 car was the BAR Honda 007 which was specially set up to race at Boneville salt flats but before they went there they reached 400km/h at Mojave air base in Nevada. That is the highest speed reorded by any F1 car. I think the highest speed on any race track was at Lemans and the Jaguar XJR9 at the hands of either Andy Wallace or Martin Brundell at 400km/h.

Jack_Bauer
12-17-2005, 01:15 PM
I think the fastest speed recorded at an actual F1 race weekend (discarding the BAR effort where the car was clearly specifically designed for the job) was at Monza this year where Juan Pablo Montoya hit something like 367km/h on the way down to the Parabolica in Saturday practice, IIRC. :)

Doubt it'll get beaten for a good long while now though with the switch to v8 engines, unless they just take off the wings altogether. :p

dydzi
12-17-2005, 02:43 PM
I think the fastest speed recorded at an actual F1 race weekend (discarding the BAR effort where the car was clearly specifically designed for the job) was at Monza this year where Juan Pablo Montoya hit something like 367km/h on the way down to the Parabolica in Saturday practice, IIRC. :)

Doubt it'll get beaten for a good long while now though with the switch to v8 engines, unless they just take off the wings altogether. :p

it was 372 :)

Jack_Bauer
12-17-2005, 02:59 PM
it was 372 :)

I stand corrected, in my orthopaedic shoes. :p

RacingManiac
12-17-2005, 05:40 PM
BAR 007 hit 416kph.....

The fastest Le Mans car was a WMP 88, powered by a turbocharged Peugeot engine and it hit 406kph down mulsanne....and that's the official record. In 89 the Sauber C9 hit 400 in practice....

Matra et Alpine
12-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Official speed trap figures in race trim is the WMP88 at 405 km/h (251.1 mph)
as said, BUT, the "project 400" car was a recognised "special" built to get the 400km record it's trim was unsuitable for a 24h race and the engine blew up shortly after going over 400km/h :D

Zytek_Fan
12-17-2005, 07:06 PM
What about the Sauber C9's Mercedes V8? Did any problems occur during practise?

Matra et Alpine
12-17-2005, 07:43 PM
What about the Sauber C9's Mercedes V8? Did any problems occur during practise?
Not sure.
All I have at the moment is that the #62 car has the record BUT that they raced the 62T which came in 5th.
http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1989/Le_Mans-1989-06-11-062.jpg
That year the C9s came 1st, 2nd and 5th. So the cars had the legs :D

Unlike the "project 400" which ended up with only the 19th fastest lap time with it's much publicised top speed !!!

RacingManiac
12-20-2005, 09:37 AM
That was what their goal was though....to hit 400kph in race trim and enter the history book, or else they would have nothing....:D

Matra et Alpine
12-20-2005, 09:43 AM
That was what their goal was though....to hit 400kph in race trim and enter the history book, or else they would have nothing....:D
no debate, but for THAT reason most Le Mans devotees dont' consider it should have the record as it was NOT a true "le mans race car" instead ONLY built to get the record. It was NOT in "le mans race trim" as it was VERY SLOW lap time and it stressed the engine so much it could NEVER have lasted 24h.

It would be like allowing an athletics/sport record to stand after the athlete was tested and failed a drugs test !!

RacingManiac
12-20-2005, 11:28 AM
well trap speed never really meant anything though....other than bragging right of sort. They only had trap speed at Le Mans because it had a 3 miles straight. Besides as long as the car passes scruitineering it is qualified as a competitor. I mean there have been other desperate attempt at Le Mans for glory end up being nothing, look at Mercedes' bid for pole in 1998 with the CLK-LM, disc wheel and everything, taped up lights and bodywork gap and small rad duct for beating Toyota for pole, only to have all 3 LM retired in the race in the first 90min with an altenator belt failure...:D
They still got the pole...

jeremysmith
12-26-2005, 04:41 PM
There is a lot of bad language on this web site I have noticed?

QuattroMan
12-27-2005, 09:35 AM
I tried that countless times,sh@t don't work!:mad:

Coventrysucks
12-27-2005, 10:05 AM
There is a lot of bad language on this web site I have noticed?

Have you noticed it or not?

I can't tell you if you've noticed it, and I doubt anyone else can either, so it isn't any good posing the comment as a question.

Secondly, if you have noticed it, why are you bringing this up here?

It is not really relevant to this thread, and as such, if you do have an issue, it will go completely ignored.

If you have a problem with bad language, which I presume you do, otherwise you wouldn't go to all the trouble of signing up so that you could post that, you'd be much better making a thread in the "Website Discussion" section of the forums.

Similarly "Quattroman" I don't think whatever issue you have now will be resolved in this thread; address it in "Website Discussion" please if you feel you must.