PDA

View Full Version : Mawi's Drawing Competition

mawi427
06-19-2004, 01:14 PM
lets see if this can catch on as well as the chopping comp's did. if it works i will choose a new car catagory to draw every week or so (drawing takes a while ;) ) for this first one the catagory will be lightweight sports cars. i am drawing a 2004 lotus elise. all materials acceptable. if u like to draw please enter this comp!! post your entries and there will be a poll to determine the winner. please respond to this thread to say if you will participate. the deadline for this comp will be June 26. good luck!!!

Cotterik
06-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Well i suppose its pretty much default that id have to enter, Im currently drawin a Carrera GT. Lets hope I have enough time to get it finished by then..BUSY LIFE!!! You mightve guessed ive not been on UCP for a week, ive been on a school trip for the 'Gifted and Talented' after being nominated for Graphics and Art. Anyway, having girlfriend troubles at the mo so this comp isnt my first priority. It should get done though :)

mawi427
06-19-2004, 05:00 PM
dydzi, sl500, sphferrari????...ne of u guys up for it????

painterr
06-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Hmmm when is it going to be due? I might give it a try. I havent picked up a shetch pad in years!!

Man i need to read the whole thing I see it is June 26!! If I get a chance I will draw one!

foto_choppa
06-19-2004, 07:08 PM
err......sorry for wasting space it took me a 10 seconds :D i wish i cud draw but i only have filters :(

johnnynumfiv
06-19-2004, 08:48 PM
i drew this a while back, i'm working on a 3/4 view of one with some sketch markers :D

SPHFerrari
06-19-2004, 09:12 PM
dydzi, sl500, sphferrari????...ne of u guys up for it????
im in if i can find time. im out for summer break but ive only been home for 1 night in the last week :D i been out partyin it up with friends :D

EDIT: can i post more than one drawing to show it off at various stages of completion?

mawi427
06-19-2004, 09:32 PM
im in if i can find time. im out for summer break but ive only been home for 1 night in the last week :D i been out partyin it up with friends :D

EDIT: can i post more than one drawing to show it off at various stages of completion?
that's fine with me but make sure to specify which drawing is ur final (i.e. which drawing u want people to vote on in the comp) :)

SPHFerrari
06-19-2004, 09:49 PM
well here is my 10 minute start. i wanna keep goin but im very sleepy :) im doin a z4. unfortunately the scanner didnt pick up some of the light lines and i dont wanna make them any darker just yet. youll have to wait for the finished product. btw, are you using color and if some do and some dont will this be a factor in the voting?

mawi427
06-19-2004, 09:56 PM
well here is my 10 minute start. i wanna keep goin but im very sleepy :) im doin a z4. unfortunately the scanner didnt pick up some of the light lines and i dont wanna make them any darker just yet. youll have to wait for the finished product. btw, are you using color and if some do and some dont will this be a factor in the voting?
nice start :)

well no i dont use color, im so lazy taht i havent even gotten around to buying decent hard fine point pencils...i drew mine with a #2 pencil :D, oh well just have to rely on ma skillz heh... :p

will color have a factor in voting?? idk it will be up to the members of UCP to decide taht.

dydzi
06-20-2004, 01:38 AM
im starting right now, but the problem is i havent got scanner (i think thats the right word, remember that im still learning english ;) ) now so i can ony make a photo of my drawing

SL500
06-20-2004, 02:40 AM
hmmm,good idea mawi427,nice thread
ok,im a little busy now
but i think you know,i have 4 drawings right now for post,
here they are:chevrolet corvette c6 modified,dodge viper gts,tvr tuscan speed 6 and shelby cobra 427 s/c,i can post them if you want

dydzi
06-20-2004, 03:53 AM
can i post more than just one car?
ive nearly finished elise but i wanna post some other as well :p

SL500
06-20-2004, 04:58 AM
can i post more than just one car?
ive nearly finished elise but i wanna post some other as well :p
hell yes,post them

Matra et Alpine
06-20-2004, 05:03 AM
hell yes,post them
if they're lightweight sports cars, it seems that's what Mawi's looking for this week.

He's made it clear he'd like to make it a weekly event, with a different challenge each week.
So posting art NOT to the spec he wants this week is kinda a waste of time.

Mawi's thread, so wait and see what he wants. Might be you only get one chance - like the chops comps !!

SL500
06-20-2004, 05:14 AM
well,im interested in drawing
and just wanted to see his works

Matra et Alpine
06-20-2004, 05:45 AM
well,im interested in drawing
and just wanted to see his works
understandable, SL, I was just speaking on behalf of mawi who created this thread as a comp.

dydzi
06-20-2004, 07:31 AM
these are the photos of my elise, i'll try to scan them somewhere
i would like to draw mercedes sl - it is a lightweigth car, isnt it? ;)

SL500
06-20-2004, 08:21 AM
these are the photos of my elise, i'll try to scan them somewhere
i would like to draw mercedes sl - it is a lightweigth car, isnt it? ;)
they were light cars,
such as '56 300SL Gullwing
but new ones suck(at weight)they weights are almost near to 2000 kgs :-S
like SL55 AMG

SPHFerrari
06-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Might be you only get one chance - like the chops comps !!
well, i asked him if i could post several scans as i progress and he said yes as long as i alert people as to which is my final to be voted on. after thinking a little bit about this, even if you say one thing is your final, you should be able to make changes, because since we are drawing real cars, unlike in the chops comp, you cannot realy copy someone else's ideas after seeing their art. this is basically artistic talent not creativity, because of the real cars thing, so making revisions after seeing others drawings will only be as good as you could before. but, it is mawis comp so ill leave it up to him. mawi?

dydzi
06-20-2004, 09:36 AM
i just want to know if sl (new - i forgot to add) is counted as a lightweigth car. i dont think its a bad car - there was a guy who was driving sl to my mum to have private lessons so i even had a chance to sit in it :) and i say it was superb
i know that quality of my drawing isnt best, but what do you think about it? what should i change to win? :p

Matra et Alpine
06-20-2004, 09:37 AM
...since we are drawing real cars, unlike in the chops comp, you cannot realy copy someone else's ideas after seeing their art. this is basically artistic talent not creativity, because of the real cars thing, so making revisions after seeing others drawings will only be as good as you could before. but, it is mawis comp so ill leave it up to him. mawi?

good point, SPH, I wasn't thinking of the difference.
Yeah, in chops too easy to see a nice set of wheels and go add them.
Not as easy to 'undraw' and make new, expecially if he's only giving a week to do some good stuff :)

Matra et Alpine
06-20-2004, 09:38 AM
i just want to know if sl (new - i forgot to add) is counted as a lightweigth car. i dont think its a bad car - there was a guy who was driving sl to my mum to have private lessons so i even had a chance to sit in it :) and i say it was superb
i know that quality of my drawing isnt best, but what do you think about it? what should i change to win? :p
best to wait for mawi to come back on-line and advise.
He's going to jusdge after all - and then set the next challenge :)
Not evyoen comes onto UCP every hour or day, so be patient grasshopper....

mawi427
06-20-2004, 11:19 AM
please do NOT post all of your artwork. i too have lots of drawings that i could post but as matra said i am trying to make this a weekly type of competition. post only one car, and have it be a lightweight sports car. u can post pics of your progress as SPHFerrari earlier said but please do not post all of your artwork, you can show it all in time.

mawi427
06-20-2004, 11:22 AM
dydzi, would it even matter if the SL is a lightweight car since u already subimitted photos of an elise?

mawi427
06-20-2004, 12:20 PM
btw i also do not have a scanner (my parents have almost no tech...no cell phones even in my house) ill post my finished drawing in a few days at my friends house :)

dydzi
06-20-2004, 01:12 PM
dydzi, would it even matter if the SL is a lightweight car since u already subimitted photos of an elise?

yes, because i havent said thats my final ver and i can submit sl apart from that elise cant i?

sorry i have already posted elise, i just want to know your opinion

mawi427
06-20-2004, 01:49 PM
yes, because i havent said thats my final ver and i can submit sl apart from that elise cant i?

sorry i have already posted elise, i just want to know your opinion

ok well the 300SL imo is a lightweight sports car...however an SL55 AMG imo is not. if you want to draw taht as your car (300SL) thats ok... but please from now on only post the car u will be drawing for the compitition.

if u want to show off all of your artwork just make a new thread :)

mawi427
06-20-2004, 01:50 PM

when i said specify ur final version i meant when showing multiple drawings of the same car

mawi427
06-20-2004, 02:35 PM

hm its a very good drawing already...things that could improve: smoothness - the wheels are a little lumpy, and some of it is a little smudgy(not too bad tho) always try to make ur drawing as crisp as possible, the smoother the lines are and the better the color contrast is, the more realistic the drawing will look.

for gloss paint on cars, a sharp white to black (if ur using pencil) contrast helps make it look more believeable

for metallic paint i shade lightly using my pencil and lightly brush over (with my finger) the shading to blend it, being careful not to smudge

hope i could help :)

SPHFerrari
06-20-2004, 03:22 PM
more progress. obviously not done yet.

Coventrysucks
06-20-2004, 03:38 PM
I'll get some pics up later... if I don't forget.

thanos
06-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Let us see who is the best designer in this site. I am starting now to draw.... let's see.......Ferarri Enzo. :)

Matra et Alpine
06-21-2004, 06:17 AM
Let us see who is the best designer in this site. I am starting now to draw.... let's see.......Ferarri Enzo. :)
If you want some inspiration and targets, check out Angus' site - http://mycaterham.com/69232/index.html :)

A trackday fan he also has a great description of Nordschleiffe on the site :)

I had beem tempted to "play with your minds" and submit some of Angus' developmetn skethes as my own, but I didn't, won't and so will only 'teach' - as in those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Coventrysucks
06-21-2004, 08:18 AM
If you want some inspiration and targets, check out Angus' site - http://mycaterham.com/69232/index.html :)

He's quite good. His style is a bit too cartoony for my liking, but saying that, mine tend to end up looking quite cartoony, so - Pots, kettles etc.

Some of the stuff that I have seen round Uni are astonishingly good.
It is amazing to think that I will be able to produce work of that caliber in a few years (hopefully)

It really is amazing to see the transformation, and evolution of their skills as they progress. The major step up seems to be the third year placement, some people came back with some really stunning work.

I'm still thinking about doing some sketches, I might do some later this evening... maybe
I already have some of an evolution of the Elise, which I will rework.

mawi427
06-21-2004, 08:46 PM
aright heres my drawing...deadline is june26 so get ur pics in by then!!!! :)

mawi427
06-21-2004, 10:11 PM
could someone please resize my elise drawing so i can set it as my avatar???

many thanks to whoever does

Niko_Fx
06-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Here you go :) I'm not good at this so maybe another member can do it better.

Awesome drawing.

thanos
06-22-2004, 05:26 AM
I understood what you wanted to say with ''lightweight'' so I designed the Lotus Exige. :) Your Elise is very good. :eek:

SL500
06-22-2004, 11:13 AM
:eek: @ mawi427's drawing
im speechless,holy crap,thats so awesome man,what pencils did you use for that work?and how old are you?

@thanos,thats a neat one dude,very good

mawi427
06-22-2004, 12:02 PM
:eek: @ mawi427's drawing
im speechless,holy crap,thats so awesome man,what pencils did you use for that work?and how old are you?

@thanos,thats a neat one dude,very good

i used a standard #2 pencil (nothing fancy i found it layin around). i really need to go buy nice ones. it would make some of my lines smoother and decrease the fading in some areas. and im 15 years old...a sophomore in high school next year

mawi427
06-22-2004, 01:24 PM
erm, yea no big changes here but i noticed the pic was out of proportion...(could tell from the badge) so yeah i resized it...i tend to be a bit of a perfectionist eh :)

Coventrysucks
06-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Lotus Elise Mk3?
:)

dydzi
06-23-2004, 03:47 AM
unfortunately i have very big problems with my computer, even now im writing from internet cafe, so there are very poor chances that i would send my mercedes because i havent finished it yet, so im sending my lotus scan:
by pencil and final version in colour

thanos
06-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Lotus Elise Mk3?
Very good idea.What kind of pen or photoshop do you use to color it; :)

thanos
06-23-2004, 05:23 AM
unfortunately i have very big problems with my computer, even now im writing from internet cafe, so there are very poor chances that i would send my mercedes because i havent finished it yet, so im sending my lotus scan:
by pencil and final version in colour
I'm sorry for your pc.Good work to Lotus Elise. ;)

thanos
06-23-2004, 05:26 AM

A trackday fan he also has a great description of Nordschleiffe on the site :)

I had beem tempted to "play with your minds" and submit some of Angus' developmetn skethes as my own, but I didn't, won't and so will only 'teach' - as in those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
Thank god because we would all lose from you.

Coventrysucks
06-23-2004, 06:30 AM
Very good idea.What kind of pen or photoshop do you use to color it; :)

Blue bic biro
Cheap and cheerful

Matra et Alpine
06-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Thank god because we would all lose from you.
no, I am too much engineer and not enough artist to make good drawings :(

Critiqueing, I'm experienced at tho' :)

SL500
06-23-2004, 07:01 AM
erm, yea no big changes here but i noticed the pic was out of proportion...(could tell from the badge) so yeah i resized it...i tend to be a bit of a perfectionist eh :)
you drew it from a pic,right?
can you post that picture?
*~-plz-~*

SL500
06-23-2004, 08:39 AM
i was busy,so i couldnt drew another cars-sorry,
anyway i finished this in 6 june,i think some of you guyz saw it already,but noway :-S,i want to be in the comptetion

TVR Tuscan Speed 6
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/677/TuscanSpeed6.jpg

mawi427
06-23-2004, 11:37 AM
you drew it from a pic,right?
can you post that picture?
*~-plz-~*

here is the pic that i drew my elise from

mawi427
06-24-2004, 08:56 AM
SPHFerrari and CoTTerik u guys still gonna get entries in?

Matra et Alpine
06-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Can I still enter .....

Matra et Alpine
06-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Can I still enter .....
no, sorry, Ican't - too damn HONEST :(

Unbelievably found it for sale on eBay just today !!!!

Makes me think we could have a "UCP fund-raising sale" by putting all the good stuff up on eBay :) Get a decent car for henk4 :)

mawi427
06-24-2004, 09:28 AM
haha how much were they selling it for???

Matra et Alpine
06-24-2004, 09:31 AM
haha how much were they selling it for???
Well he's started the bids on all his prints at 9.99.

Nobody bidding yet :)

He does say they come framed, so he can't be making a lot - unbless ( as I suspect ) they're printed on a home printer - ink or copy - and not litho'd

SL500
06-24-2004, 09:45 AM
wow,i thought you drew that yourself

Matra et Alpine
06-24-2004, 02:50 PM
wow,i thought you drew that yourself
I WISH :)

I was sooooooo tempted to try to con everyone, but I couldn't.

I'm just too nice sometimes :)

SPHFerrari
06-24-2004, 07:55 PM
sorry guys i dont have the time anymore. all of my time has been taken up partying and chillin with friends. ive been home for like a few hours in the last like 3 or 4 days. summer rules. haha. so, beleive it or not, going out is more important to me than drawing. im not here all day 2moro and then im going away til the 1st then im gone on the 3rd till the 11th or 12th so ill see what kinda time i get to post. but dont expect any drawings. im pissed ill miss the next chop comp. haha o well

Cotterik
07-24-2004, 07:21 PM
i cud spend alot of time explained why i havent had a seconds worth of spare time lately to finish my entry, but SPHFerrari puts it near enough :p maybe another time eh...