PDA

View Full Version : Should the UK get the Monaro's Pontiac cant sell as GTO's?

fpv_gtho
06-20-2004, 03:40 AM
This is just something that ive been wondering about lately. Despite GM's claims about the GTO selling like hotcakes, i think Pontiac are selling about half as many as they initially expected and the official tuning arm of HOlden, HSV, are set to export one of their versions of the Monaro, the HSV GTO, to Vauxhall to have it badged as the Vauxhall Monaro VXR. Obviously UK demand is going to be higher than US with the UK initially only getting 300 a year compard to 18000, but with the cars struggling to find buyers in the US, shoudl the UK get a higher export volume?

whiteballz
06-20-2004, 03:48 AM
i think they should get equal amounts, in europe i guess it may be easyer to sell them in other countries as well ( into france etc (BOLD move though))

i guess americans have enough hi-po (as much as i dislike holden and basicaly the whole V8 scene, they are hi-po), cars on the market. so demand is lower...

im not sure...

note: what i DO like about the V8 scene, or a V8, is the ability to smoke the tyres. and well the sound can be nice, but will never match the subaru STI's burble. (specialy not in race kit)

UK CARS
06-20-2004, 03:53 AM
i think the uk would never sell 18,000 monaro's (i dont have a clue why i voted that :confused: -idiot) dealerships in the uk would sell around 1000 if there was ever an increase in demand.

Coventrysucks
06-20-2004, 07:07 AM
i think the uk would never sell 18,000 monaro's (i dont have a clue why i voted that :confused: -idiot) dealerships in the uk would sell around 1000 if there was ever an increase in demand.

£30K V8 coupe
1,000?
more like 10,000 I reckon.

UK CARS
06-20-2004, 07:24 AM
£30K V8 coupe
1,000?
more like 10,000 I reckon.

yeah but think about this way theres stiff comp with the likes of rx8's, impreza's, evo's, elise's, vx220's.... plus more

Coventrysucks
06-20-2004, 03:13 PM
yeah but think about this way theres stiff comp with the likes of rx8's, impreza's, evo's, elise's, vx220's.... plus more

There is no competition.

The RX8 is a step down in performance, along with the 350Z etc.
The Impreza and Evo are failling as popular cars because too many people with Burberry caps buy them and fit neons and dump valves.
They are becoming the Nova of the 21st century.
The Elise and VX220 are different types of car, that is why Vauxhall is selling the VX220 and Monaro - if they were direct competitors it wouldn't happen.

The Monaro offers cheap practical performance
V8, 4 seater coupe - the only cars similar are things like the Merc CLK, which for a V8 will cost you £10 - 20k more
:)

fpv_gtho
06-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Wheels Magazine not that long ago actually done a comparison between the old 235kw series 2 Monaro and a CLK500, as well as comparing the BA Fairmont Ghia to i think it was an E320 and 530i. The BMW won in the sedans and the Merc beat the Monaro of course, but when value for money was included, the journo's took the Fairmont and Monaro no question.

Something the Monaro doesnt really have to worry about in the UK if it stays at 300 a year is its below standards build quality. If the UK recieved 18000 like the US, then the quality of the cars would be a bigger issue, but right now since the cars exclusive, i dont think anyones really worried about it.

Coventrysucks
06-21-2004, 05:06 AM
The VXR (= HSV version) is still only £35k, with 0-60 in 5.4s, and 170 mph.
Absolute bargain

Going by performance
Monaro
0-60 6.something seconds
160mph
£28,650

Mercedes Benz CLK500
0-60 6 seconds
155mph
£43,040

UK CARS
06-22-2004, 09:26 AM
There is no competition.

The RX8 is a step down in performance, along with the 350Z etc.
The Impreza and Evo are failling as popular cars because too many people with Burberry caps buy them and fit neons and dump valves.
They are becoming the Nova of the 21st century.
The Elise and VX220 are different types of car, that is why Vauxhall is selling the VX220 and Monaro - if they were direct competitors it wouldn't happen.

The Monaro offers cheap practical performance
V8, 4 seater coupe - the only cars similar are things like the Merc CLK, which for a V8 will cost you £10 - 20k more
:)

yeah, your right the vx220 and elise are completely different cars...and the rx8, imprezas and evos are different aswell...yeah your completely right you carnt do better for what your getting. I sat in it in the nec last month, you could fit a whole family in there..though they'd have to be all mad. :)

Matra et Alpine
06-22-2004, 09:39 AM
yeah, your right the vx220 and elise are completely different cars...and the rx8, imprezas and evos are different aswell...yeah your completely right you carnt do better for what your getting. I sat in it in the nec last month, you could fit a whole family in there..though they'd have to be all mad. :)
Well having been in one on track, then it can frighten a few people OUTSIDE the car too. Upset some who'd spent lots of money on "sports" cars too !!!

Reid had the MG V8 way out of shape trying to keep up :)

fpv_gtho
06-23-2004, 04:43 AM
well Matra, us Aussies take large RWD V8's VERY seriously :p

Matra et Alpine
06-23-2004, 06:36 AM
well Matra, us Aussies take large RWD V8's VERY seriously :p
only coz they can carry more tinnies :)

fpv_gtho
06-24-2004, 03:14 AM
thats one way to look at it i suppose :p

another reason could be the vast majority of us that can afford a $40K+ car also have a family, and a 5 seater V8 makes more sence than a 2 seat, 4 cylinder sports car.

Matra et Alpine
06-24-2004, 03:22 AM
thats one way to look at it i suppose :p

another reason could be the vast majority of us that can afford a $40K+ car also have a family, and a 5 seater V8 makes more sence than a 2 seat, 4 cylinder sports car.
Mate ( kit car fan ) has Picasso people carrier, Ford Focus for the wife, Quantuum for the son, GTM for the daughter an MGB GT rally car, a Sylva Strker road/track car and in process of building an all out track LoCost.

Cost hiim about AUS$ 50K :)

The galling thing in the UK is the amount of road tax he has to shell otu each year !!!

fpv_gtho
06-24-2004, 03:30 AM
and thats with UK fuel prices :rolleyes: