Supra Skyline

HP 320 <---WIN!!! 276
Weight 1565 kg <---WIN!!! 1666kg
Displacement 2997cc <---WIN!!! 2568cc
0 - ¼ mile 13.5sec <---WIN!!! 13.7sec
0 - 60 mph 5sec <---WIN!!! 5.2sec
0 - 100 mph 11.8sec <---WIN!!! 13.0sec
Powertrain RWD WIN!!!---> 4Wd

Well Motly Supra Wins I Dont Know Why People Like Sky`s U Know.....!!!!! (n supra is 1993 whereas sky is 1999 +1 )

Supra-Devil
06-30-2003, 01:47 AM
people its a poll so take a choice ok.....!!

Prowl
07-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Wrong forum dude.American cars.

Supra-Devil
07-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Prowl

man i know but i already posted it goto asain post thts a wrong one too check it out it`s kool

Nildo
07-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Supra dude, I like your outlook, and believe me, there is no bigger supra fan, from 2000 GT to JZ80 1997 model than me, but I'm not too sure about your figures.
The r34 gtr actually produces about 320 bhp compared to the supras 326. Since the GTR was only officially sold in Japan they must claim max power at 280 powerstroke or 276 bhp.
The skylines weight you claim is also not for the standard model. Actual (dry) standard weight is about 1540 kg.
1/4 mile times vary depending on who runs them, but in a straight shoot out I have seen the skyline (when launched VERY aggressively...serious clutch abuse) run a 13.02, to a supras 13.45.
Don't really know why you think a RWD is better than 4wd, that is why the GTR is actually faster than the supra (massive grip means high RPM clutch dumps).

Having said all that, I vote the Supra! It is more comfortable, just as modifyable and more drivable in city areas, as it has almost no turbo lag. But really you should have said the 1997 model. It featured a VVT inlet system, making it marginally faster than the earlier model.

MKielbasa
07-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Personally I think they are both equally over-rated.
If I was forced to drive either I would take the skyline since it tends to snow in Canada.

Nildo
07-02-2003, 04:21 PM
you are free to believe they are over rated, but they both perform very well for reasonable money, providing much better value than most aussie performance vehicles that we are stuck with.

MKielbasa
07-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Nildo
you are free to believe they are over rated, but they both perform very well for reasonable money, providing much better value than most aussie performance vehicles that we are stuck with.

I don't doubt or deni that. They are both capable machines. They are not the be all and end all of automotive performance as many people make them seem like.

I would take a 280 or 300Z, or corvette over either of those vehicles.
Skyline and Supra are just the playstation generations wet dream.

Nildo
07-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Yeah, maybe that is true in the states. It certainly isn't where I am. I can tell you though that a 300 zx is definitely not as good as either for speed or comfort. It is very heavy and claustraphobic inside too.

motorhead
07-04-2003, 02:01 AM
the r34 looks much better than the supra but the supra is lovely as well but the skyline is japanese QUEEN - the NSX is the KING

Nildo
07-04-2003, 04:15 PM
yeah, nsx-r is a wet dream machine alright. but trust me, drive through a city with lots of traffic lights and you will appreciate the sequential turbo system on the supra.

Supra-Devil
07-05-2003, 10:03 PM
man u guys r goin out of the point the polls not for the nsx ok n listen thnx for the opinions.....!!!

motorhead
07-06-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Supra-Devil
man u guys r goin out of the point the polls not for the nsx ok n listen thnx for the opinions.....!!! but its still a RIVAL!!!!!!

Nildo
07-06-2003, 05:21 PM
and a good one too, 'Head! I love the nsx! any jap car that scares ferrari sounds good to me.

LowRider
07-20-2003, 01:35 AM
I know this poll is about Supras and Skylines (in which the Skyline would be better) but youse are talking about NSX's how bout a WRX?

jadotch
07-20-2003, 11:42 AM
In the states I would choose the Skyline, Supras are fairly common. Plus I think the Skylines look better (I really don't like the "sports/ exotic car look). But everything I am saying is hearsay since I have driven neither.

Can I pick a 1989 Turbo Trans Am? (The American in me)

badboybarge
07-21-2003, 12:47 AM
neither!!!

Falcon500
08-10-2003, 05:56 AM
uhhhhh rwd is actualy more practical in general as it doent have the dead weight the awd system has requiring what is it like 3 diffs and 2 gear boxes around town its just a waste and even on the 1/4 mile it might take off faster but it levels out with the extra weight it has
supras are nice cars i know a bloke who has one its a nice car it handels great and he had a great dual down they clyde mountain with a pretty serous HR holden with a healthy 350 under the bonnet
and sylines here are soiled by the boy racer image here all of them you see are coverd in crappy stickers like they are going to forget the mods they done to it like the maditory K&N airfilter and sparco seats that dont match the interior and they usualy have shitty graphics along the side
and im glad this isnt like school where theres usualy a wog who will argue black and blue that an rx-7 is better

bonzaisushi
08-24-2003, 08:16 PM
the skyline may win in the quarter do to its attessa awd system and incredibelness... but, if we were to compare the engines the supra engien would win hands down... the supra engine is sooo incredible words cant describe it, although the skyline engine is close behind... supra WOOT!!!!!

more-boost1555
08-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Of course, the Supra is a very nice car. I think of it as sort of a japanese muscle car you know? Front engine rear drive, latest generation actually has more torque than horse due to restricted horse in Japan (at least the listed specs anyway).

But the Skyline! The sheer technology of it all....it's amazing. The four wheel drive with electronic torque split, super hicas four wheel steering, electronic limited slip too. It's awesome, and the engine of course has the potential to produce around 500hp comfortably with stock internals.

But the thing I would love most about it is that not many people in america would know what it is. If I had one I wouldn't touch the body at all. I would want it in black, with dark rims, either gunmetal or black. No body kit or any bs like that, just big turbos, and all the plumbing reaquired for them, bigger intercooler, sport exhaust, stiffer suspension with maybe a slight drop in ride height, big brakes, some nice rubber, oh and drive train mods too. Then I could sneak up on anyone!

Can you imagine rolling up next to somebody in a vette, or stang, or even a porsche or a Lancer. Just about anything! Then asking if they want to race, lol! They'd be like "What's that? Some kind of suped up maxima or something?". Then just crank it up to 6800rpm and watch the fireworks.

MP4/4Fan
08-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Supra is better. Someone mentioned that they like any car that can scare a Ferrari, and they were referring to an NSX. Sorry dude, no NSX scares any Ferrari in production today!

monstaman101
09-04-2003, 04:59 AM
I think they both have good points like the skyline has power to burn but isnt the most agaile car around. whereas the supra may not have as much power but is more agile.
But besides that they are both great cars and if i had to choose i would say skyline cos of its looks.

bonzaisushi
09-04-2003, 05:44 AM
very true monstaman, it seems as if th esupra was made to chase the skyline around the track, but the skyline was made to chase the supra at the strip...either way there both incredible cars... but if were talkn engines 2jz has to be one of the most bulletproof engines ever made

r34_296kw
09-05-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Supra-Devil
Which Is Better In Stock?

1. 1993 Supra Turbo
2. 1999 R34 Skyline GT-R

Supra Skyline

HP 800MAX <---WIN!!! 1900MAX
Weight 1565 kg <---WIN!!! 1666kg
Displacement 2997cc <---WIN!!! 2568cc
0 - ¼ mile 13sec <---WIN!!! 13.7sec
0 - 60 mph 5.9sec <---WIN!!! 5.2sec
0 - 100 mph 11.8sec <---WIN!!! 11sec
Powertrain RWD WIN!!!---> 4Wd

Well Motly Supra Wins I Dont Know Why People Like Sky`s U Know.....!!!!! (n supra is 1993 whereas sky is 1999 +1 )

ur so DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST 276HP for a R34? wat da hell r u goin on about u FREAKIN LAIR. supras can b bout 800HP MAX...SKYLINE 1405HP MAX........u sound another one of those pathetic losers..........n if u install a good turbo in a skyline it'll go up to 1900HP......N I AINT KIDDIN OR LYING LIKE U DO!!!

the above i have changed are actually true facts!!!!!!!! a mate of mine who runs over 50 boyracing garages over nz has told me thats the best time done 4 supras in the ocenia...he used 2 have a supra dunno which year but was 612HP...at first he thought sky's were slow but once i convinced him 2 race n dat was it...the next day his supras were all sold and he started selling sky's n got his own 1...he tuned it up to 389kw on all 4 wheels and 1200HP......u shud try a skyline sum day

fpv_gtho
09-05-2003, 03:23 AM
how can you say that the cars can "only" make a certain amount of power. they both come stock with twin turbo engine which should be able to boost power tremedously or you could fit bigger turbos aftermarket. the whole idea about turbochargin is "the sky's the limit"

r34_296kw
09-05-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by fpv_gtho
how can you say that the cars can "only" make a certain amount of power. they both come stock with twin turbo engine which should be able to boost power tremedously or you could fit bigger turbos aftermarket. the whole idea about turbochargin is "the sky's the limit"

hey lil baby...go home 2 mummy, ur just 14........n think u no heaps of stuffs bout cars......U PROBABLY DUNNO JACK SHIT!!! so wait till u grow older, have ur own car, be able to race it and then come and talk, dunno y they let lil kids like u in here

fpv_gtho
09-05-2003, 03:43 AM
im 15 u ****wit and i know more shit about cars than my dad and my 19 year old friend

bonzaisushi
09-05-2003, 06:03 AM
ok mr r34_296kw if u no so much about cars, the supra can only be tuned to 800hp... BULLSHIT....... HKS GT3037 x2 and Custom ground 272/292 degree camshafts on top of some other work would get a supra in to 1200hp easey, supras engines are way more capable than the rbd.... here in kansas we have 2 skyline owners both who have there cars in the shop ive talked to both of them they way more knowledgable than ur ass, they both admit that the supra engine is capable of way more power than the skyline engine, and it can hold the power..... yes the skyline engine is great... so is the car... but u my friend come in here talkn like u no shit puttin people down when u are probably just a 10 year old kid who has played to much gt3.....

Falcon500
09-05-2003, 06:22 AM
look you skyline toting **** wit i dont care what you think fpv does or doesnt know hes quite knowlagble id say he knows more about new cars then i do (the only thing i wont give him is racing and older cars) and he also is very open minded (somthing you arnt) and hes also more articulate with a keybord then you when you type it ****ing looks like a text message "n u think u no heaps about cars". And how do you rate your own standards? picking on someone becuse of their age? or resorting to very desperate offences to try and get some feeling of victory from someone who has proven you wrong at every turn?

fpv_gtho
09-06-2003, 12:23 AM
thanks for that one

Nildo
09-06-2003, 04:36 PM
This is the first time I have to abuse anyone on this page, but r34, you are a straight-up dick head.

When it comes to modifying cars, there is, as fpv mentions, virtually no limit in terms of turbo size/potential power. In standard form, with no mods to the bottom end, the supra can take WAY more than the skyline GTR. All of toyotas best engines (also like the 1UZ-FE found in the 4 litre Soarer) have cross-webbed bottom ends, multi-bolt main caps and so on. In one clip I downloaded I saw a supra-totally stock except for intercooler, chip, exhaust and boost bleed valve on standard turbos. This car had around 650 bhp. Show me a standard skyline that can do that. I guarantee you can't.

Before you go around insulting people just because they are 'only' a certain age, or because they disagree with your opinions, check your facts, then think about how you can convince others you are right without being rude. Don't pick on FPV.....after all, 'he's only 15'.

r34_296kw
09-06-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by bonzaisushi
ok mr r34_296kw if u no so much about cars, the supra can only be tuned to 800hp... BULLSHIT....... HKS GT3037 x2 and Custom ground 272/292 degree camshafts on top of some other work would get a supra in to 1200hp easey, supras engines are way more capable than the rbd.... here in kansas we have 2 skyline owners both who have there cars in the shop ive talked to both of them they way more knowledgable than ur ass, they both admit that the supra engine is capable of way more power than the skyline engine, and it can hold the power..... yes the skyline engine is great... so is the car... but u my friend come in here talkn like u no shit puttin people down when u are probably just a 10 year old kid who has played to much gt3..... heth sala makachod...sala bhosri...eko cheej bhi nai janta aur baat karta hai...jao gaand marwao gaichod aur sara andachod

bonzaisushi
09-06-2003, 04:49 PM
couldnt have said it better my self nildo. R34 u need to be removed from the gene pool.... come back when u know ur stuff and u pull ur head outa ur ass

r34_296kw
09-06-2003, 05:21 PM
This is the first time I have to abuse anyone on this page, but r34, you are a straight-up dick head.

When it comes to modifying cars, there is, as fpv mentions, virtually no limit in terms of turbo size/potential power. In standard form, with no mods to the bottom end, the supra can take WAY more than the skyline GTR. All of toyotas best engines (also like the 1UZ-FE found in the 4 litre Soarer) have cross-webbed bottom ends, multi-bolt main caps and so on. In one clip I downloaded I saw a supra-totally stock except for intercooler, chip, exhaust and boost bleed valve on standard turbos. This car had around 650 bhp. Show me a standard skyline that can do that. I guarantee you can't.

Before you go around insulting people just because they are 'only' a certain age, or because they disagree with your opinions, check your facts, then think about how you can convince others you are right without being rude. Don't pick on FPV.....after all, 'he's only 15'.

well i do have 2 agree with u about toyota. it is a very good car. well the fact is that a supra is a good n fast car. the supra tt vs a r34 will be a good race. but supras just can do what a skyline can do... im pretty sure that just a plain old skyline is faster dan a plain old supra but...but can a supra beat a XR8??? can it beat a freakin mitsi gto????????????????? HELL NO!!! but the XR8 or a mitsi gto (not a pontiac gto) dont stand a chance against a r34... oh yeah sorry 4 being a bully 'dildo'

bonzaisushi
09-06-2003, 05:48 PM
lol it can walk all over mitsu gtos.... gtos weigh in just over 3000lbs supras weight in at around 2400, 600lb difference, supra has more TQ, so what if the GTO has awd awd is only good for a launch and in the turns, mitsu added awd just to get that beast of a car movin cuz it weighs so dang much.... in the 1/4 mile the skyline and the supra would be a close race, i think it would be all on the driver... but a GTO doesnt stand a chance with either

r34_296kw
09-06-2003, 06:05 PM
lol it can walk all over mitsu gtos.... gtos weigh in just over 3000lbs supras weight in at around 2400, 600lb difference, supra has more TQ, so what if the GTO has awd awd is only good for a launch and in the turns, mitsu added awd just to get that beast of a car movin cuz it weighs so dang much.... in the 1/4 mile the skyline and the supra would be a close race, i think it would be all on the driver... but a GTO doesnt stand a chance with either YES!!!!!!!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!! i just wish someone like u could explain to my dumb n arrogant m8 dat GTO's are slow shit....he insists that a mitsi GTO is one of the fastest cars eva made by Japan...he says Skyline has only good brakes n dat Supras have only good looks...he says that GTO has excellent brakes, excellent looks and extremely fast speed...even if the smartest person on earth told him...he would just not believe it....I NEW A GTO IS LOW SHIT!!! compared to a skyline or supra...

bonzaisushi
09-06-2003, 06:10 PM
it is, there a comfort vehicle that has enough power to pass on the highway... my older brother had the US verson the 3000gt vr-4 and that thing was comfortable but no where near as fast as a supra or a skyline shoot even a evo, and there awd system is crap.. nissans awd system is a work of art.. attessa kicks ass

r34_296kw
09-06-2003, 06:46 PM
it is, there a comfort vehicle that has enough power to pass on the highway... my older brother had the US verson the 3000gt vr-4 and that thing was comfortable but no where near as fast as a supra or a skyline shoot even a evo, and there awd system is crap.. nissans awd system is a work of art.. attessa kicks ass hmmmmmm u r totally right.......my dad likes nice big and comfy cars......dats y i bought him a toyota windom....but if u let him loose behind the wheel of a ford V8...even supras have been beaten by him whenever hes in a V8...no wonder my mum get pissed at him when he tried to buy a ford falcon XR6

fpv_gtho
09-06-2003, 08:50 PM
why do u expect a $50,000 family sedan to compete with a sports coupe that could pissibly twice its price?

Nildo
09-06-2003, 09:26 PM
I don't know how anybody driving a supra twin turbo would lose a drag to an XR8. The XR8 is a decent set of wheels, true, but it weighs in at well over 1700 kg, with only 260 kw. The toyota weighs about 1500 kg and boasts 240 kw, plus a more advanced driveline meaning less power loss to the wheels.

The corevitt timesheets I have read for the XR8 make it as a 14.4 second car with a terminal speed about 162 kph. I have seen official tests on a (1997) JZ80 supra running a 13.45@171. As far as the GTO is concerned, it is a very good launcher, but can't match the supra's in gear acceleration, nor it's top speed. In fact, neither can the XR8...or skyline GTR.

The supra and GTR are just made for different drivers, plain and simple.

fpv_gtho
09-06-2003, 09:31 PM
the xr8 unfortunately is closer to 1800kg at 1795kg, which ford said they wont be doin much about for BA2. i reckon if the xr8 could rev about 500rpm harder and keep the power and torque as well, it would be as fast as the gt

r34_296kw
09-06-2003, 10:11 PM
I don't know how anybody driving a supra twin turbo would lose a drag to an XR8. The XR8 is a decent set of wheels, true, but it weighs in at well over 1700 kg, with only 260 kw. The toyota weighs about 1500 kg and boasts 240 kw, plus a more advanced driveline meaning less power loss to the wheels.

The corevitt timesheets I have read for the XR8 make it as a 14.4 second car with a terminal speed about 162 kph. I have seen official tests on a (1997) JZ80 supra running a 13.45@171. As far as the GTO is concerned, it is a very good launcher, but can't match the supra's in gear acceleration, nor it's top speed. In fact, neither can the XR8...or skyline GTR.

The supra and GTR are just made for different drivers, plain and simple.

the XR8 has 280kw not 260kw:p

r34_296kw
09-06-2003, 10:14 PM

The supra and GTR are just made for different drivers, plain and simple. well u c my dads m8 hu owns a V8 XR8 has tuned up his XR8 to a total of 374kw...its some fast shit now and guarantees a adrenaline rush

fpv_gtho
09-06-2003, 10:14 PM
what makes u think the xr8 has that much, the au3 only had 220kw. even a holden fan will tell u that the xr8 has 260kw

fpv_gtho
09-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by r34_296kw
well u c my dads m8 hu owns a V8 XR8 has tuned up his XR8 to a total of 374kw...its some fast shit now and guarantees a adrenaline rush

all xr8's are v8's. for under $aud10000 i could get a BAXR8 up to an estimated 400kw, just from an 8psi supercharger and cat-back exhaust

Falcon500
09-07-2003, 03:30 AM
And to think i swapped to Message boards from chat rooms to avoid arguments :rolleyes: no worries FPV

crisis
09-07-2003, 05:09 PM
R34's parent would be mortified to read the crap he writes. Particulalry how he incriminates them by including them in his threads. They need to put the child lock on their computer me thinks. He's being a very naughty boy.

Falcon500
09-08-2003, 02:38 AM
The sheer single mindness way he gos on about skyline he makes me positivly look articulate in my taste in cars! And his lac of brain activity is astoundint name one ****ing XR8 that came with a 280 kw motor. And also did you take into account that AWD is heavy thats why the GTO weighs a god auful ammount? Gawd this guys a ****ing twat!

fpv_gtho
09-08-2003, 02:42 AM
awd is heavier, but in a car like a skyline, which i think only weights a touch over 1500kg, u wouldnt worry about it, especially since evo7's weight about 1400kg

Falcon500
09-08-2003, 03:45 AM
Nah im still going to bitch about it thats immensly heavy for such a little car.

fpv_gtho
09-08-2003, 10:20 PM
well apparently the evo8 is considerable lighter than the evo7

r34_296kw
09-08-2003, 11:42 PM
well apparently the evo8 is considerable lighter than the evo7 dis dude i no got a evo 8 from the US and i once got to ride in it with him...its a good piece...but i havent riden in a evo 7 so i wouldnt know:confused:

fpv_gtho
09-08-2003, 11:46 PM
apparently not many people liked the evo7 when they came out. with its extra weight it would have stood no chance against a wrx sti

r34_296kw
09-08-2003, 11:49 PM
apparently not many people liked the evo7 when they came out. with its extra weight it would have stood no chance against a wrx sti but couldn't they reduce the weight? like go to sum garage and do it?

fpv_gtho
09-08-2003, 11:51 PM
probably, but people with evo6 and evo8's would be able to take out more

Motorer1
09-15-2003, 05:17 PM
SKYLINE, as an owner, i know

Falcon500
09-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Motorer1
SKYLINE, as an owner, i know well if thats the case why do you want to go to europe to get a GT-R?

r34_296kw
09-15-2003, 10:04 PM
which GT-R are u talkin bout? the skyline or the celica cos nowdays toyota celica GT-R has cum out 2...

megotmea7
09-16-2003, 12:16 AM
its a celica GT-Four dumb ass...

r34_296kw
09-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by megotmea7
its a celica GT-Four dumb ass... i saw 1 this after noon jackass...a celica GT-R...dumbass

Motorer1
09-16-2003, 11:53 AM
great, now Toyota is ripping off the Skyline's badge.:o

Nildo
09-19-2003, 05:03 PM
The letters 'GT-R' don't belong to Nissan. All it means is Gran Tourismo-Racing. Many other manufacturers have used these letters too, and long before Nissan. How many GTOs have you heard of? Mitsubishi, Noble M12, Pontiac, Ferrari....are they all ripping off one another?

16-4Veyron
10-04-2003, 08:34 PM
lol - THE SUPRA!!!!
have u seen the specs?!?!?

and why did you post this in the american fourm again?

pato
10-08-2003, 04:06 AM

hey give aussie cars a break, big v8 rwd eg HSV Clubsport with 285kw for $60,000 (aussie dollars) is really good value

put in an agressive cam and some flowed heads and it will easy put out 370-380kw with the right tune

fpv_gtho
10-08-2003, 04:21 AM
ha that much power from that little list of parts? i dont think so. u dont find 100kw from flowed heads, a better cam and the "right tune" unless your prepared to pay the price. for the performance and power $60K for a clubsport sounds alright, but australian cars are burdened by crap build quality on a global scale. our engines are pretty course as well so theres a reason for them being that cheap

pato
10-08-2003, 04:32 AM
street machine magazine are aiming for 500hp on a VX LS1 with just exhaust systen (including headers) a cam, head and remap

the hsv already has the exhaust system plus a better intake system it would make 380kw at the engine no worries

pato
10-08-2003, 04:34 AM
plus we get the LS1/gen3 whatever u wanna call it from the states so its their engine anyway

fpv_gtho
10-08-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by pato
street machine magazine are aiming for 500hp on a VX LS1 with just exhaust systen (including headers) a cam, head and remap

the hsv already has the exhaust system plus a better intake system it would make 380kw at the engine no worries

if thats their target, the parts they would be using would be pretty race spec which would cost alot. for example, you can get SVO heads for a 302 that they use on the ford v8 supercars and they cost about $18000 each. the engine wouldnt reach that target "no worries" trust me. it would be under alot of stress to produce those figures

pato
10-10-2003, 01:56 AM
no not really, how about u go buy the magazine which this month featured headers, and see what they aim for, then buy the next few issues as they build the car up

Nildo
10-10-2003, 01:51 PM
good on you fpv, for not being a one eyed Aussie car lover. I love our country, but our cars are no doubt behind the 8-ball. This has been improving of late though, so I look forward to seeing what Ford can do in the future.

As far as mods go Pato, if you spend a little cash on either the GTR or the supra you will be able to get serious results. 285 kw sounds nice, especially compared to the claimed 206 kw the japs quote for their cars, until you read the fine print and see that both jap cars are faster in a straight line anyway.

Falcon500
10-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Well i went to evo motor sports the other day and they quoted 20k for a r34 skyline not a bad price but as fast as they are (and i must admit i like the rx-7s and supras) id still rather an aussie car.

fpv_gtho
10-11-2003, 07:14 AM
well australian cars are easier to tune and fix in the way of finding repairers and parts suppliers, but ive heard that the governments about to impose a ban on importing cars from japan that arent 15 years or older so the grey import skylines and such foating around will probably increase in value slightly soon

Falcon500
10-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Well in a way thats goo less wog boxes for young bloke in debt to soil! And as they would call them v8s that are ancient and shit usally in stock form easily stay with their riced up shit.

fpv_gtho
10-11-2003, 07:35 AM
that statement makes me think of this story one of my friends told me where he say this AUXR8 coppa chasin after this WRX and caught him

Falcon500
10-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Sube are quick but they arnt fast and the cops are also trained to drive quite well thay are taken through the advanced driver causes untill their quilifed to test people and stuff. Most young blokes who think their king shit drive about their ablility somthing that usually ends in tears.

fpv_gtho
10-11-2003, 08:04 AM
well the xr8 was an auto and with all the extra weight from the police equipment, it wouldve been more than a second slower than a stock manual which makes it even funnier in my mind

Nildo
10-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Actually in 1995 the police revealed statistics that out of 1800 (give or take) car chases that year involving a WRX, the police lost 80% on the road, and over 10% crashed. The cops caught less than 10% by themselves.

fpv_gtho
10-12-2003, 12:40 AM
well things have progressed pretty good since 1995. back then an australian car wouldnt have stood a chance against a wrx and the police's tacktics wouldve changed since them to deal with speeders

Falcon500
10-12-2003, 03:59 AM
Well some of our local coppas use wrxes and the ba falcon and VY commdore ones fair move there were some out at woden that were doing near 180km/h sirens flashing and shit.

fpv_gtho
10-12-2003, 04:16 AM
well i wouldnt be surprised to see a BA XR8 without the speed and rev limiter get up to about 100km/h more on a nice flat straight, but their ethics would probably forbid them from going that fast in the safety of others

Falcon500
10-12-2003, 04:25 AM
280 clicks well anything is possible i guess but also the cops wouldent do thast unless they had to but i think youd have to set a date on the calender for it to happen.

fpv_gtho
10-12-2003, 05:36 AM
well GT's are geared to do 300km/h and the xr8 has a taller diff ratio so theyd need a fairly long, downhill section of road to achieve that, but if theyre chasin after someone at those speeds, theyd wipe themselves out at the first corner they came across

Falcon500
10-12-2003, 05:41 AM
Well if the cops havent caught them going that fast theyd get wiped out too.

pato
10-16-2003, 04:32 AM
yeh they have some rules that means once they get to a certain speed the have to back off the chase, i think its somthing like 120km/h thats why they just have a lot of V6's in their range cause they arent allowed to use anywhere near the full capacity of the V8's

fpv_gtho
10-16-2003, 05:25 AM
well theyd only get a v8 pver a v6 or straight 6 for better acceleration, not top speed

Falcon500
10-16-2003, 05:28 AM
I see where patos comming from 120 km/h is nothing even my sunny tops out at 140.

pato
10-17-2003, 05:37 AM
well theyd only get a v8 pver a v6 or straight 6 for better acceleration, not top speed

yeh but it is a bit of a questionable spending, how many cars do u reackon are in their fleet australia wide? i got no idea but probably in the thousands, and if the save about 4-5 thousand off the purchase price of a v8 and then more from fuel economy, insurance servicing etc etc it could be a few million dollars better spent on more police to bust up drug dealers etc not have dangerous chases on public roads that end in deaths of innocents

r34_296kw
10-20-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Falcon500
Well if the cops havent caught them going that fast theyd get wiped out too. LOL

Ham 'N' Eggs
11-02-2003, 05:58 PM
they both suck but if i had to choose SKYLINE ALL THE WAY
!!!!!!!!!!!

r34_296kw
11-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Ham 'N' Eggs
they both suck but if i had to choose SKYLINE ALL THE WAY
!!!!!!!!!!! :D IM TOTALLY WITH U M8 :D

Batmobile_Turbo
11-03-2003, 06:13 PM
i'm with the skyline

r34_296kw
11-03-2003, 08:36 PM
supra-devil,
for ur question about supra vs skyline which 1 is better...i think the poll answears your question...hehe :D

Falcon500
11-04-2003, 09:04 PM
No it answerd which was more popular look at the first page and youll find there is very little between these 2 vehicals in 1/4 mile time and a few other things. I recently had a closer look at a 93 SUPRA i really liked it nice looking car turbo engine it would of been a screamer if i had $14,000 lieing around i would of considerd buying it (make a great day to day runabout)
I didnt cheak this on thourgoly enough it was a 93 SUPRA and it was nice car.

Nildo
11-07-2003, 03:02 PM
I still don't think that these two cars are even a good direct comparison, as they are built for, and bought by, different people. The Skyline GTR is meant to be a production racer, the Supra merely a very fast GT. This is also reflected in their prices, an R32 GTR costs very similar money when well kept than a near new supra in decent condition.

The Supra is also far better for driving comfortably over large distances, and is far less exhausting driving in stop-start or city traffic.

Even the people who modify them often have different goals in mind. GTR's rule the street drags, and the Supra is more popular and successful at the Wangan 300 km/ph route.

We aren't comparing cars that were meant to compete directly, so why make them compete now? They are both excellent for their intended purpose.

r34_296kw
11-07-2003, 04:31 PM
I still don't think that these two cars are even a good direct comparison, as they are built for, and bought by, different people. The Skyline GTR is meant to be a production racer, the Supra merely a very fast GT. This is also reflected in their prices, an R32 GTR costs very similar money when well kept than a near new supra in decent condition.

The Supra is also far better for driving comfortably over large distances, and is far less exhausting driving in stop-start or city traffic.

Even the people who modify them often have different goals in mind. GTR's rule the street drags, and the Supra is more popular and successful at the Wangan 300 km/ph route.

We aren't comparing cars that were meant to compete directly, so why make them compete now? They are both excellent for their intended purpose. oh yeah lemme get 1 fing straight...weneva i talk about how gud cars r n their driving etc etc i mean 2 compare them by street drag racing not the racing park racing...

Falcon500
11-09-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by r34_296kw
oh yeah lemme get 1 fing straight...weneva i talk about how gud cars r n their driving etc etc i mean 2 compare them by street drag racing not the racing park racing...
Umm why compare the 2 cars in only those limited fields? the cars have so many other pros and cons to them you spend a lot of time in your car and i dont think youd be racing them everytime you go out in them.

fpv_gtho
11-09-2003, 03:13 AM
well if hes only gunna use a car like that to race someone then i guess he shouldnt give a shit how it performs elsewhere

Falcon500
11-09-2003, 05:03 AM
Yeah well at his age he cant afford to be only focused on speed practicality and a few other things are important and if im looking at a car speed is important but is nice to have at least some of the whole 9 yards in it not just speed in a straight line.

fpv_gtho
11-09-2003, 05:32 AM
well theres bound to be heaps of people that think one way or the either

Falcon500
11-09-2003, 05:50 AM
Well this is comparing the 2 vehicals and the only real way is to look at them both as a package rather then just "AWWWW the skylines faster" and just bikckering as children the supra is a fast agile rwd car which makes a fantastic cross country car it also has a motor thats famus for being just as good (and in some cases i hear better) then the Skylines RB engine.
The skyline is the current fad for young people over most parts of the world it has AWD,All wheel Steer and all the other little flash technilogical mods. It also has a very fine and tunable engine which is proven to be very fast.

fpv_gtho
11-09-2003, 06:06 AM
its getting to sound like the arguments me and my brother have over which is better: a 351 or the new 330. ive been showing him the supercharger kits capa offer and hes dead set on putting a 302 in a datto 1200 coupe

Falcon500
11-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Well dont forget the quad cam motor is a new object and very expensive also on that note a 302 in a 1200 ute is not a good idea either. If your gonna do that use a torana or a cortina their small enough and actually react well to engines that side rather then becomming puigs to drive. In the long run it will cost him a huge amount no matter which way he chosses.

crisis
11-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Whats da best out of a Skyline and a Supra. An idiotic question. If you are looking to buy either, drive both. Other than that they are both clearly great sports cars. The debate can go on but will only amuse those who have a particular devotion to one or the other.

Falcon500
11-09-2003, 05:46 PM
ture enough too My point was there is not direct winner here both car are good and both suit diffrent people (much like the ongoing argument Between holdens and fords they both suit diffrent people)

fpv_gtho
11-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Well dont forget the quad cam motor is a new object and very expensive also on that note a 302 in a 1200 ute is not a good idea either. If your gonna do that use a torana or a cortina their small enough and actually react well to engines that side rather then becomming puigs to drive. In the long run it will cost him a huge amount no matter which way he chosses.

well the cortinas at one stage came with the falcons 4.1 six so thats enough proof for me that a 302 will fit, but my brothers only my age so hes heaps far off getting any sort of project off the ground

Falcon500
11-13-2003, 05:58 AM
Cortinas did for a very long time it seemed like a good idea but ford just lengthend the bonnet and shoe horned the 6 in not accounting for the extra weight they are still good cars jsut in stock form far from great handelers. And tell him if he wants to put any engine in a 1200 ute other then the 1200 (or similar pushrod datsun A engine) go datsun B SOHC engines (2 liter from a 200b and with a turbo will go great) or a fj20 turbo or a sr20det engine wich both will be plenty powerful enough in stock form let alone if you do some simple mods to them.

r34_296kw
11-14-2003, 03:16 AM
Well this is comparing the 2 vehicals and the only real way is to look at them both as a package rather then just "AWWWW the skylines faster" and just bikckering as children the supra is a fast agile rwd car which makes a fantastic cross country car it also has a motor thats famus for being just as good (and in some cases i hear better) then the Skylines RB engine.
The skyline is the current fad for young people over most parts of the world it has AWD,All wheel Steer and all the other little flash technilogical mods. It also has a very fine and tunable engine which is proven to be very fast. well over here 99% of the times i see skyline gt-s been driven around by kids hu think they r so flash n fast n their crappy lil gt-s thinkin its fast n shit whereas stock v-tecs and even evo 1, 2 and so on keep on ****en em up everyday...many ppl here do agree that they wont stand a chance against a skyline gt-r but i think ppl just want a cheap 2 door car wheter its fast or not, their main priority is that it goes faster than those plain old mitsu galant, toyota corolla and those other plain old family cars ppl drive

Motorer1
11-14-2003, 11:32 AM
I thought this was the american car thread. Take you rice rockets outta here

Falcon500
12-25-2003, 06:45 AM
Yeah you see that a littlebit here and mostofthe time they have giant rev tachos on them gay ttransfers and neons which are illigal and notto forget they turn them into mobileboom boxes.
Well motorer1 this car is in the asian car forums and its entiteld Supra vs skyline so i think you should find your long cane and dark glasses and make your way back to the american car forums unless your actually going to add to this thread.

Nildo
12-26-2003, 03:46 PM
There's nothing wrong with the skyline GTS. I agree that with the non turbo it is a joke to try and make some sort of drag car hero out of it, but there are some very nice-and very fast-ones doing the rounds near where I live. Standard I don't think any V-TEC this side of an NSX is as fast as a GTS-t. Also some poeple are doing some clever mods, like adding twin turbos and doing head swaps. Some street ones run 10.5 secs on the 1/4, which is pretty quick.

C12_Vette
01-02-2004, 03:51 AM
i voted for the supra....and i wouldn't change my mind.....coz as i see the r34 powers in about 10 feet from a drag start line(appearently coz its a 4wd car) but the engine it has wouldn't allow it to go over the supra in a quarter mile race... simply

Note: its not necessary that the body wieght makes difference.

Nildo
01-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Actually the GTR is quicker than the Supra over the quarter. A big chunk of it's time is made up by 4wd, but also its turbos are bigger than the Supras, giving it enough mid and upper range to keep it in front. Unfortunately big turbos also make it harder to drive when not racing. The supra is very good to drive, even in slow traffic as it's sequential turbos spool up quickly. Also the supra absolutely murders the GTR in rolling acceleration tests.

nismo
01-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Supra had been made for sports car market, and GTR had been made for JGTC (Japanese Grand Touring Championship), even its background of manufacturing is totally different, and for this reason, GTR has no limit in tuning. I know Supra is such a beast, but on the race track, GTR is called a legendary of racing. I don't know why, but it had won so many times, one after another.... was it because of the car itself or driver...??

laggencam
01-08-2004, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=Nildo]Actually the GTR is quicker than the Supra over the quarter. QUOTE]

whats the fastest 1/4 mile time of a skyline you guys have seen... Fastest 1/4 for a supra would be 6.81 @ 194 mph sometimes it would be over 200 but its a drag set up... then theres this guy http://store5.yimg.com/I/supra_1772_48278541 who did it at 8.10 @ 165 mph. IS there a skyline which does the 1/4 mile in less then 8 seconds and above 169 mph?

Nildo
01-09-2004, 02:28 AM
Well as far as I am concerned this comparison is between a stock supra and GTR, hence the figures quoted at the opening of the thread. If you have read the whole thread you would also know I voted for the Supra, not the GTR. This is not because the Supra is faster, because it isn't. It is because of the Supras flexibility and style.

I know a good deal about the HKS drag Supra which ran the time you quoted, including it's power, weight and displacement figures. Just so you know, the car has a twin turbo V8, not the 2JZ-GTE turbo six from the street version. It is an impressive car, but calling it a Supra is a bit of a stretch.

As far as street cars go, the fastest GTR I have heard of was tuned by Zenitani ('The King Of The Speed') and it ran about 8.4@165. On street tyres.

JJ72
01-09-2004, 09:36 AM
In terms of racing speed the skyline R34 is faster (as in Bestmotoring).
and can't deny there's some difference in manufacturing quality and engineering standard between these two. (as the production date is quite far apart)
and there're minor differences in drivablity when driven on the limit, something about the refineness.

But i will still choose the Supra, as it's more rare nowadays. and it's very hardcore sports coupe stuff, it's low tight driver seat and the whole styling. added that it's a true Rear wheel drive car,i like it better.

JJ72
01-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Supra had been made for sports car market, and GTR had been made for JGTC (Japanese Grand Touring Championship), even its background of manufacturing is totally different, and for this reason, GTR has no limit in tuning. I know Supra is such a beast, but on the race track, GTR is called a legendary of racing. I don't know why, but it had won so many times, one after another.... was it because of the car itself or driver...??

Because of factory backing maybe.

Supra still do very very good in JGTC, just recently lost out to the Skyline.

and if you look at the history of both cars. Nissan pushes the development of skyline a lot harder.

you are comparing a 1993 car to a 1999 car. that's already a few big steps in automotive development.

laggencam
01-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Well if the next generation supra comes out and the next generation skyline, both V8 larger displacements, which one do you guys think would win the skyline? or the supra? what if toyota decided to bring its v12 engine from japan... to the states... i dont have a great idea about this engine but it is the only v12 production engine sold in japan by toyota...

uk83
01-17-2004, 04:39 AM
Well if the next generation supra comes out and the next generation skyline, both V8 larger displacements, which one do you guys think would win the skyline? or the supra? what if toyota decided to bring its v12 engine from japan... to the states... i dont have a great idea about this engine but it is the only v12 production engine sold in japan by toyota...

yeah yeah, what if.... what if me ante had a dick

Nildo
01-18-2004, 04:29 PM
What if...what if...well anyway the next GTR will again be faster than the supra, but also, as with this GTR, will be much more expensive. Performance comes at a price, and Nissan is aiming at Porshe as it's performance rival, so the r35 will not be cheap. Toyota certainly won't be putting a v12 in the Supra. A small V8 is likely though.

fpv_gtho
01-18-2004, 10:56 PM
has anybody heard anything about a so called 5000GT? i saw something in motor awhile ago about it and it kinda looked like it could be a next gen supra but toyota want something like a 5.0L F1 derived V10 in there

Turbo'd
01-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure what your talking about. American Muscle Cars generally work on big V8's am I correct?
So that isn't twice the cylinders to a Supra Or Skyline.
Also, don't you agree that american cars pump loads of horse power. But wait, lets look at the hp/litre. American Cars are failing to get 70 bhp/litre.
In other simpler american words

" American Cars Suck, Dude " :D

Falcon500
01-22-2004, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure what your talking about. American Muscle Cars generally work on big V8's am I correct?
So that isn't twice the cylinders to a Supra Or Skyline.
Also, don't you agree that american cars pump loads of horse power. But wait, lets look at the hp/litre. American Cars are failing to get 70 bhp/litre.
In other simpler american words

" American Cars Suck, Dude " :D
Hp per liter is not a basis for good peformance if anything all it really means an engine is more stressed in my own words your a fool for beliving cars suck because of a system that was created to make small ci capcity engines sound more impressive.

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 07:40 AM
the whole HP/L thing against american cars is more to show the difference in effort put in between american manufacturers and others. although i see where people come from when they present it, i feel that in most cases its useless to argue it anyway. for example, some people are bound to think its stupid ford want to challenge ferrari's 360 with a supercharged 5.4L. although there seems to be a clear advantage to ford there, theres nothing wrong with the supercharged engine. thats my argument

CaT
01-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Yeah, maybe that is true in the states. It certainly isn't where I am. I can tell you though that a 300 zx is definitely not as good as either for speed or comfort. It is very heavy and claustraphobic inside too.

Plus...the 300ZX is no where near as purdy as the 240ZX...which i would definately rather have over the Supra or Skyline!

Nildo
01-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Wow, I missed all sort of stuff here....

Yeah Fpv I heard of the 5000 GT. I was reading somewhere that the V10 was actually based on the v8 for the upcoming supra, but the developers wanted to go further in their spare time and it got a bit out of hand, so they showed the results to their managers and the rest is history. I heard that the 5000 GT was designed to compete with aston martin.

As far as the new Ford GT is concerned I have also seen about half a dozen comparos with the 360 Modena. Guess what? The Ford won all of them. Road and Track (or was it Car and Driver?) was the only one to print performance times. How does 3.8 0-100 and 12.2 0-400 metres sound? Not much compares for the cash, unless you build it yourself.

I do think hp/l is important, but only in the right place. In the Honda s2000 it is a useless statistic. But the Ferrari Enzo is a different story. Or a more real-world example, the Supra. If high hp/l is supported by large capacity or a good turbo system then it is a useful statistic. Basically, American muscle cars are good for their torque, jap cars are good for their revving power, but a happy medium is by far the best. Should a 5.7 litre engine be making 'only' 330 hp? No! It should make more. But only because it has a solid base of meaty torque that should form the platform for good airflow, higher revving power!

Lastly, the 240 z is gorgeous! I love it! I was actually going to have that as my favourite, but it is a bit too obtainable. Even today with a good engine transplant they make a fantastic performance platform. And back in the day, 0-100 in 8 secs was pretty good too.

Falcon500
01-24-2004, 06:24 AM
Nothing wrong with atainable just today i saw a 240Zin the paper the onlyproblems were it had a battery explode and has rust there,no rego,paint needs a good cut and polish and its black a problem fora deailer (wellex detailer anyway i lost the job on friday after a month!)

Nildo
01-24-2004, 03:33 PM
:( SIGH :( Half the fun of owning such a car is fixing it up. There really is nothing as satifying or frustrating as a good project car. I don't have money for my old prject anymore, and sadly had to sell it half done, which is a sad topic for me. Still, I have a bouncing baby girl to show for it, and there's always a chance for something new in a few years.

Bummer about the job. If you lived near me I would hire you.

icezdragonz
02-17-2004, 06:36 AM
hi^^"i love supras myself they look realy nice witht he right body kit and everything and the *2jz* engine is a lovely peice of machinery. but although i hate to beleive it skylines are the faster cars, some of your stats are false such as the skyline only being 276 hp or somin, thats wrong, its because the japs have some restriction with their government so their stock cars can only be around 280 hp or under *as i do recall* so the skyline gtr 34's real *stock-ish* hp is like 320+? pretty close to a supra to say the least. anyway the skyline gtr 34 is also an all wheel drive car compared to the supra which is like rear wheel drive. which gives it a faster acceleration time or something, dose it not? o yer and supras got like 1 small turbo and one big one to help stop turbo lag or somin and u c da skylines r just 2 big ones so that would prolly make a difference too. i realy dont know why a skyline would be the more better car other than that, maybe weight or tyres or the fuel system or somin like that or maybe its the skylines rb26 buh yer i'm onli 15, prolly younger den most o u peeps in dis forum so u cant expect me 2 know everything^^" lol. if i did say somin wrong correct me someone without being mean~!

Matra et Alpine
02-17-2004, 07:14 AM
buh yer i'm onli 15, prolly younger den most o u peeps in dis forum so u cant expect me 2 know everything^^" lol. if i did say somin wrong correct me someone without being mean~!
No meanies, but stop posting like some wannabe street gangsta with a Nokia phone !!
English will get a better response.

TJRGTR
02-17-2004, 09:46 AM
I would have to say that the Skyline is the top car in the poll. Compared to the Supra, it is a better overall car.

mooseTSi
02-17-2004, 12:14 PM
I think it has to do with where u live. I think the supra is an awesome car, but then again we dont have the skyline here in the states. So i would have to choose the skyline. i can just dream of driving one down the road, right hand drive and all, and people asking "what the hell is that?" They are both beautiful cars and very powerful. but i would have to choose what i cant have. thats the way it is

Doza
02-17-2004, 04:02 PM
I would have to say that the Skyline is the top car in the poll. Compared to the Supra, it is a better overall car.
Hush all of you! The BMW Isetta is the best.

crisis
02-17-2004, 04:43 PM
i'm onli 15, prolly younger den most o u peeps in dis forum so u cant expect me 2 know everything^^" lol. if i did say somin wrong correct me someone without being mean~!
Sorry buddy. Being 15 gives you an excuse , for a while, for being obnoxious but there are 15 year olds on this site that make you look like you belong in child care. Im not sure if its cause there Aussies or not. Type like a 15 year old for a start, loose the psuedo smart arse text jive. A lot of grumpy old farts like me cant be bothered learning a new langauge. If I could Id choose Latin anyway. Nothing wrong with making technical errors or spurious statements as long as you dont mind being corrected.

fpv_gtho
02-17-2004, 11:07 PM
lol your a funny guy crisis thats for sure,

but icezdragonz, where you say the supra is RWD and the skyline is AWD, theres benefits for both. AWD gives you more grip off the line as its sharing the torque to all 4 corners, but it has worse drivetrain losses and some people complain that they cant do a burnout as easily in them when pre staging for a drag. RWD is alot of peoples favourite for its relatively balanced setup of let the rear end push the car and let the front end steer the car, and for its less underbonnet clutter compared to AWD (im talking about the engine sitting on the diff etc).

crisis
02-17-2004, 11:16 PM
lol your a funny guy crisis thats for sure,

but icezdragonz, where you say the supra is RWD and the skyline is AWD, theres benefits for both. AWD gives you more grip off the line as its sharing the torque to all 4 corners, but it has worse drivetrain losses and some people complain that they cant do a burnout as easily in them when pre staging for a drag. RWD is alot of peoples favourite for its relatively balanced setup of let the rear end push the car and let the front end steer the car, and for its less underbonnet clutter compared to AWD (im talking about the engine sitting on the diff etc).
Thankyou for your kind words. You obviously know who I was reffereing to and you backed it up perfectly. Unlike many younger enthusiasts you see through the cynical marketing fashion of all wheel drive. It is not the perfect answer in all cases. This relates to another thread where I gave another contributor a spray. +1 (and thats not for saying I'm funny)

fpv_gtho
02-17-2004, 11:28 PM
i just personally believe the drive of a car, AWD or RWD cant hide a drivers inability to control a car. if i was to choose a car that i wasnt going to mechanically alter myself, i probably would take AWD so that i'd have better off the line traction, but if i was to take a car i wanted to fiddle around with myself and put aftermarket modifications on, i'd probably take RWD as transmissions are cheaper, theres probably less tyre wear meaning lower tyre bills, more room under the bonnet and i wouldnt have to worry about the driveline mucking around deciding when to send power to the front wheels. i havent yet heard of any instances where an AWD car has had trouble determining when to send power away from where its slipping, in the same sense where people complain about automatic transmissions hunting for gears when you stamp on the accelerator, but im sure something could happen if you try put enough power through the driveline

godzilla
02-24-2004, 03:31 AM
[SIZE=7][FONT=Trebuchet MS]THE SKYLINE WILL RIP THE SUPRA UP WITH THE DRIVERS EYES CLOSED.

Blue Supra
02-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Well i just joined this site because i read this board and wanted to have a say in it. Supras own it in my opinion and iv wanted one since iv loved cars. RWD is better than AWD, more sideways, more fun ;) iv seen a mpeg of a supra race a mclaren down the 1/4 and the supra only pulled up less than 2 secs behind it. damn good for the price difference i thought. Skylines are over rated anyway, everyone wants one and the people eho want them dont even know why. they'r just another car theyre so common in the ACT anyway. i want something different and flashy and there is no disputing that the supra looks waaaaaay better then the skyline. im always open to criticism if someone wants to take a shot but im rock steady in my faith in the supra. i wont be swayed.

Nildo
02-24-2004, 03:18 PM
You don't need to be swayed, the Supra is a great car. Not too sure about the Skyline criticisms, though. It is a little faster in most places, and not every model is common. If you ever have the money to be able to choose between these cars, and I hope you do, drive them both before choosing. Maybe like me you will still pick the Supra, or maybe you will understad why the Skyline is so popular.

crisis
02-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Well i just joined this site because i read this board and wanted to have a say in it. Supras own it in my opinion and iv wanted one since iv loved cars. RWD is better than AWD, more sideways, more fun ;) iv seen a mpeg of a supra race a mclaren down the 1/4 and the supra only pulled up less than 2 secs behind it. damn good for the price difference i thought. Skylines are over rated anyway, everyone wants one and the people eho want them dont even know why. they'r just another car theyre so common in the ACT anyway. i want something different and flashy and there is no disputing that the supra looks waaaaaay better then the skyline. im always open to criticism if someone wants to take a shot but im rock steady in my faith in the supra. i wont be swayed.
There is a term of derision for people like you and you probably know it. Some of your observations are fair. Your personal preference is fine. But whatever it was that raced whatever McLaren proves nothing. An Mpeg does not tell you if the Supra was stock or not. Skylines attract a large following of fan boys who like youreself have a rock steady faith in them . This is largely becasue they have probably never driven one , or much else for that matter, or they dont know what they are talking about. In my opinion , both cars are excellent Japanese sports cars and I would have either. None "rule" or "suck" as such or even "own it" whatever that means.

Egg Nog
02-24-2004, 09:33 PM
[SIZE=7][FONT=Trebuchet MS]THE SKYLINE WILL RIP THE SUPRA UP WITH THE DRIVERS EYES CLOSED.

I hate to be so rude, however sometimes I feel it's necessary:

You fail. You are not welcome here.

Blue Supra
02-26-2004, 04:43 AM
oh well, i guess i could be called a "fan boy." fair nuff. also true an mpeg proves nothing, still i though it was worth a mention. but yeah. im looking at the option of importing a supra from japan. :D does anyone know of the best way to go about that ie. thru an agency or sumthing? id appreciate your input. cheers.

crisis
02-26-2004, 04:22 PM
oh well, i guess i could be called a "fan boy." fair nuff. also true an mpeg proves nothing, still i though it was worth a mention. but yeah. im looking at the option of importing a supra from japan. :D does anyone know of the best way to go about that ie. thru an agency or sumthing? id appreciate your input. cheers.
I would imagine it would be best to deal with someone in one of the auto trader mags. At least they are willing to advertise and thus expose themselves to some scrutiny. The problem with buying this way is that you expose yourself to rebirthing, cut and shuts and who know what else. Talk to people at shows maybe and gather as much info as you can as to who is "reputable". Get a professional mechanical check. It may be better to buy one from someone here who has already owned it for a while. Check the insurance premiums too while your at it.

Blue Supra
02-26-2004, 05:51 PM
insurance??? :D for an under 25 male its probably uninsurable. or at least like 8000 a year or sum ridiculous amount like that. NRMA and AAMIs online quotes say i should ring them. i dont take that as a positive sign. :p iv seen a few web sites based in AUS that act on ur behalf doin the import thing. worth a go?

crisis
02-26-2004, 11:04 PM
insurance??? :D for an under 25 male its probably uninsurable. or at least like 8000 a year or sum ridiculous amount like that. NRMA and AAMIs online quotes say i should ring them. i dont take that as a positive sign. :p iv seen a few web sites based in AUS that act on ur behalf doin the import thing. worth a go?
Caveat Emptor!

Falcon500
02-27-2004, 03:21 AM
Insureance for a turbo 4 or 6 is enough to make people who arnt rich italians reconsider getting such cars....if you want un common in canberra get a mitsubishi GTO there rare as all hell! supras are quite nice though i wouldent go out of my way to get one...i came damn near getting in hock getting a 93 turbo though it was a damn good car...drove nicetoo :D

Pliz
02-28-2004, 12:29 AM
[SIZE=7][FONT=Trebuchet MS]THE SKYLINE WILL RIP THE SUPRA UP WITH THE DRIVERS EYES CLOSED. hell yeah! by the way where in nz are you? im in auckland

Nildo
02-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Jeez Crisis, how many people do you think know latin phrases around here!? A fair thing to say though: buyers beware! It may be better to buy a car already here which you can test out for youself and get checked by an Auto club, or yourself if you are knowledgable and confident.

NoOne
02-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Jeez Crisis, how many people do you think know latin phrases around here!?

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

Die dulci fruere. :)

NoOne
02-29-2004, 11:47 AM
In an attempt to be a smartass, I broke my own golden rule of English being the forums only language, anyways here's the translations.

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced,high-paying world of Latin!

Die dulci fruere. :)
Have a nice day.

crisis
02-29-2004, 03:52 PM
In an attempt to be a smartass, I broke my own golden rule of English being the forums only language, anyways here's the translations.

If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced,high-paying world of Latin!

Have a nice day.
You win. I only know swear words in other languages.

Blue Supra
02-29-2004, 04:26 PM
latin? isnt that what the romans apoke way back when? the most modern language i can speak besides english is deutsch (german) only coz it was forced upon me from year 1 to year 8. buyer beware. i think you're right there. as for the mitsubishi GTO they look ok i spose but iv never been for a ride in one or driven one so maybe thats something i could investigate.
Cheers

ace
02-29-2004, 10:12 PM
i have seen some fullon supra's but the skyline has the good's in the tuff look's side of things :cool:

fpv_gtho
03-01-2004, 02:05 AM
latin? isnt that what the romans apoke way back when? the most modern language i can speak besides english is deutsch (german) only coz it was forced upon me from year 1 to year 8. buyer beware. i think you're right there. as for the mitsubishi GTO they look ok i spose but iv never been for a ride in one or driven one so maybe thats something i could investigate.
Cheers

selamat malam, guten tag........thats about all i know of other languages........half a year doing german and 2 and a half years indonesian and thats all i really got to show

HBloverb18
03-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Persoanally I would go with the Supra because in america its unpractical to have a right hand drive car. Both cars are awesome and both with the money can be pushed over 1000hp but then its also unpractical to drive around, so for me i would go with a Supra with around 500 to 600hp for practical everyday driving.

Matra et Alpine
03-03-2004, 05:33 AM
Persoanally I would go with the Supra because in america its unpractical to have a right hand drive car.
Have you driven RHD before ?
I drive an LHD Bagheera in UK regularly and did so for 2 years when I was 19.
It's not difficult.
In some cases it's actually safer.
With the wider roads in the US ( I've driven there a lot ) it would actually be easier than trying LHD over here.
You just learn a different style of driving.

Are there legal reasons which preclude RHD ?

PS: It's impractical, not un :) [ hmmm, just checked on-line and un is in Websters ! Another word created by you 'mericuns :) :) :) ]

Falcon500
03-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Mara kiti belja bhasa indoneasea (we are all enjoying learning the indoneasian laguage i remberd that because i think it might come in handy one day :D ) I can speak a mild amount of german i can order a beer and a glass fo milk and a few other things but the rest of what i know are quite useful but not very appropriate for these forums.
I also know capre deim which means cease the moment in latin and is also a song by metallica.
Why would it be impractical you can drive left hook here in australia the only catch being you mjust have a large sticker on the back of your car saying CAUTION LEFT HAND DRIVE and the only other downfall i can think off (other then rego being a slight pain) is you would have to be careful overtakeing a truck on the highway and itll be hard to make an order in a drive through without a passenger...other then that it wouldent hurt in the slightest not need to open your door near traffic and stuff sounds good.

fpv_gtho
03-04-2004, 03:28 AM
lol well if u ever go to germany, you'll probably make good use of being able to order a beer in the native tongue....

well all the garbage trucks are fitted with 2 steering wheels and properly signified so on the back, but i heard that they passed some law saying you can only register a LHD car thats over 30 years. i think anything newer you have to put it under club rego

Matra et Alpine
03-04-2004, 04:13 AM
mjust have a large sticker on the back of your car saying CAUTION LEFT HAND DRIVE
That'
s going to ruin the look of any decent car :(

and the only other downfall i can think off (other then rego being a slight pain) is you would have to be careful overtakeing a truck
It's not as bad as you imagine.
Yes, there are times you can't overtake when you may have been able to squeeze out and in with RHD.
BUT, you learn to read more of the road.
Look up the inside of the car/truck in front - which is a LOT easier to do.
I learned to read more about the road ahead at a very young age as LHD was one of tmy first cars. When I came to do my bike test, the instructor and examiner both commented about my 'vision' and I put it down to that experience.

The best thing about a passenger is when you've checked up the inside and know the road ahead is clear and just whip out to overtake.
They think you're doing it blind - the look of panic is a joy to behold :)
With brother, whoever was passenger would ride shotgun and call an overtake maneouvre from their seat. The confidence to act only comes from rallying as drive/navigator :)

Falcon500
03-04-2004, 04:35 AM
That'
s going to ruin the look of any decent car :(
Its not as bad as you might think we have a 50s studebaker bullet nose in the Studebaker club me and my father are mebers too and it didnt really take anything away from the car (the sign is basicly a yellow sticker thats about a foot long and about an inch thick and goes along the bumper or rear windshield)

[/QUOTE]
It's not as bad as you imagine.
Yes, there are times you can't overtake when you may have been able to squeeze out and in with RHD.
BUT, you learn to read more of the road.
Look up the inside of the car/truck in front - which is a LOT easier to do.
I learned to read more about the road ahead at a very young age as LHD was one of tmy first cars. When I came to do my bike test, the instructor and examiner both commented about my 'vision' and I put it down to that experience.

The best thing about a passenger is when you've checked up the inside and know the road ahead is clear and just whip out to overtake.
They think you're doing it blind - the look of panic is a joy to behold :)
With brother, whoever was passenger would ride shotgun and call an overtake maneouvre from their seat. The confidence to act only comes from rallying as drive/navigator :)[/QUOTE]
As i said i was pointing out the only downfalls wwhich thanks to you dont even seems as bad as they were before (i can only imagine LHD being a bad thing here for an inexperianced or bad driver) that said i know this from my own reasherch as i have said in numerous threads i wouldent mind getting my mitts on a yank car ofsome varity (either a muscle car or a latemodel pony car...i havea real weakness forthe foxbody muzzos)

HBloverb18
03-04-2004, 08:39 PM
No i was saying its impractical for everyday driving because as far as drive thru and toll booths go and things of that matter its jsut on the wrong side

Matra et Alpine
03-05-2004, 06:07 AM
No i was saying its impractical for everyday driving because as far as drive thru and toll booths go and things of that matter its jsut on the wrong side
Nah, it's just practice for those overhead basketball shots.
Dime over the roof rim-shot :) :)
But, yep that is a problem - furtunately in the UK we don't have many of those yet :)
By the time it encroaches on the free roads of Scotland hopefully it will be all electronic :(

StarQuester
03-09-2004, 02:05 AM
It seems to me that there's some mis-information in this thread...Mainly the weight of both vehicles...Someone said the Skyline is 600lbs heavier than the Supra...All I can do is laugh, seriously though..indeed the skyline is heavier due to the AWD, but the Supra is by far not a lightweight...Not to mention there's different weights for the R32/33/34, with the R32 being the lightest GT-R. I'm not sure about in different places, but here in the U.S. Supras are a dime a dozen.
I've driven both Supra's(89,91,94,97) and Skyline's(R32,R34)...A close friend of mine imports half cuts, so I get to have lots of fun.. Anyways, the 94 and 97 Supra's have a nasty feel when pushed hard, there's very little warning when the rear starts to slide, it's plainly just...Heavy, and it feels like it.. The older 89 and 91 I drove wasn't as bad, the 89 was down on power due to the 7MGTE it has but overall driving feel was actually quite respectable..The 91 is a different story, the owner swapped in the 2JZ and lots of work..So this car isn't a good comparison, very fast though...

The Skylines felt nearly identical, but the R32 was my personal favorite... They were both similarly modded, both had T04R's with fuel upgrades(injectors,pump)... These things are a absolute blast to drive, dump the clutch at 7000rpm's and the rear tires would do about 2-2.5 rotations before the fronts would grip.. Repeatedly abused, the clutch felt as it always does, no fading/slipping etc...

Now about longevity, some may dispute this because this is the first time i've been here but... A totally stock bottom end 2JZGTE will hold 1200-1300HP before failure...Where the RB26DETT will hold nearly 2200HP, no joke... The supra's tranny is also weaker, stock...

I imagine someone will come in here and say the whole 2.6 vs 3.0 liter argument... But as some here already know, the 3.0 liter can be bored/stroked to 3.3-3.4L's...Where as the RB series of engines can be swapped within each other to achieve the same result...A RB26's head can be fitted to the RB30E block, and then stroking can also bump that higher....

About the 1/4 mile thing...Someone posted a picture of a Supra running high 6's...Now, how many people do you know that will drive a 6 second car on the street? Hell, even a 8 second car? Do you know how incredibly fast that is on the street? Plus that particular car is a full tube frame, fiberglass bodied monster... You can't possibly throw that car into the comparison, it's just too different.

There's two thing's that I think are better with the Supra over the GT-R.
1. Replacement parts availability
2. Aerodynamics

Everybody remember, these are street cars...How much power do you need for the street? Let me rephrase that, how much power can you PUT DOWN on the street? Whatever number you have in your head, it's still not exceeding the limits of either motors. It comes down to your personaly choice, with styling and comfort...And I could care less about comfort, you want comfort get a BMW 760il or any highway cruiser...

Don't forget the Skyline also comes in RWD...The RWD R32 weighs about 250-300lbs less than a 96 Supra...Both being RWD, however the RWD R32 comes with the RB25DET, single turbo 2.5...But why wouldn't you want the RB26 for that RWD?

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to share my experiences with these two automobiles... I gain nothing either way, I own a 89 Starion ESi-R..several actually.. Thanks for listening ;)

crisis
03-09-2004, 04:41 PM
I've driven both Supra's(89,91,94,97) and Skyline's(R32,R34)...A close friend of mine imports half cuts, so I get to have lots of fun.. Anyways, the 94 and 97 Supra's have a nasty feel when pushed hard, there's very little warning when the rear starts to slide, it's plainly just...Heavy, and it feels like it.. The older 89 and 91 I drove wasn't as bad, the 89 was down on power due to the 7MGTE it has but overall driving feel was actually quite respectable..The 91 is a different story, the owner swapped in the 2JZ and lots of work..So this car isn't a good comparison, very fast though...

Everybody remember, these are street cars...How much power do you need for the street? Let me rephrase that, how much power can you PUT DOWN on the street? Whatever number you have in your head, it's still not exceeding the limits of either motors. It comes down to your personaly choice, with styling and comfort...And I could care less about comfort, you want comfort get a BMW 760il or any highway cruiser...

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to share my experiences with these two automobiles... I gain nothing either way, I own a 89 Starion ESi-R..several actually.. Thanks for listening ;)
I dont know how your post is going to be recieved. It is at least an order of magnitude greater in anything approaching experience, objectivity and rationale than most previous posts on this subject that I can recall.

megotmea7
03-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Now about longevity, some may dispute this because this is the first time i've been here but... A totally stock bottom end 2JZGTE will hold 1200-1300HP before failure...Where the RB26DETT will hold nearly 2200HP, no joke... The supra's tranny is also weaker, stock...

I imagine someone will come in here and say the whole 2.6 vs 3.0 liter argument... But as some here already know, the 3.0 liter can be bored/stroked to 3.3-3.4L's...Where as the RB series of engines can be swapped within each other to achieve the same result...A RB26's head can be fitted to the RB30E block, and then stroking can also bump that higher....

now i have to step in and question these numbers... as far as i know the most powerful stock block 2jz is 980whp by mike carlin using a sp77, and they top it off at around 1200-1300hp fully built and ported on petrol based fuels and alot of fine tuning. they have the brace the block of fully built bottom end and ported head RB's at around 1300hp also, dont give me 2200hp... yea mabe on a turbo, built 500ci pro stock motor but no RB. i wouldnt expect much more than 900hp out of one of those either stock short block and all... your numbers are way too out there to be taken as credible, which then leads me the question the credibility of the rest of your post, whether or not you drove these cars or your just posting from here say. also you speak of puting a RB26 head on a RB30 block, that too is rediculous, the RB30 bottom end couldnt handle half as much power as the RB26 the head swapping it would be as pointless as boosting the 2jz's displacment up to 3.4, besides the fact that the largest 2jz im aware of is 3.2 liters the power/torque/responsiveness that would be added from the whoppin 200cc's would be little to none and do nothing for its power holding ability. most if not all built 1000hp+ supras use the stock 3 liter displacment. a popular mod however on RB26's is adding a 200cc stroker kit, but it is funny however that on most high power drag skylines they retain the stock 2.6 liter displacment and you see most (when you come across them) 2.8 liter strokers on road race cars.if you've driven these cars thats great, but you really need to do your homework on your numbers or at least post some sort of proof...

anyway im out :cool:

crisis
03-10-2004, 11:00 PM
now i have to step in and question these numbers...
Well he sure as hell had me going.

Keith
03-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Hey guys...
Im from uk. So i work in BHP and MPH so bare with me..
I would personaly pick the Skyline GTR V-spec II Nur...
lighter and a little faster.
fpv_gtho..... You know your stuff m8. At 15... Keep up the good work..
As for the racing back ground.. Didnt the Skyline get banned from some aussie championship? Becasue it won 4 yrs in a row..
Seen alot of supra's Id say my second fav car. look so good.
But as my e-mail address suggests... I love my Skylines.
You guys not seen any Skyline Vs Supra races... I can tell you they are about even. ive seen Skylines win and ive seen Supras win. Until ppl start messing with the motors.. then it goes silly. I mean Who really wants more than say 600 BHP unless there car is for track use.. Your gonna have to use a compition cluch.. Not nice for every day driving.
Thanks for your time lads.

StarQuester
03-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Every statement I've said thus far, has been true....I'm vigorously looking for a particular website on this 2200hp claim...I know i've seen it. Call me what you wish, it matters not. Credibility has no face on the net, mine comes from hands-on experience... Not a post count. You can also laugh all you want about the rb30e block and rb26de head...I've seen it first hand, from torn apart pieces, to a fully functioning engine...
Ooops, I messed up on the rb30e block part...I've "heard" that it'll work..However the VQ34DETT has been made by TOP SECRET, a company in Japan... I won't just disappear, I WILL find this info....Still looking actually.

fpv_gtho
03-12-2004, 01:58 AM
fpv_gtho..... You know your stuff m8. At 15... Keep up the good work..
As for the racing back ground.. Didnt the Skyline get banned from some aussie championship? Becasue it won 4 yrs in a row..

well thanks for that

It was a key part in the Australian Touring Car Championship (ATCC) dropping International Group A rules that had allowed Turbo AWD cars (Skyline GTR and Ford Sierra RS500) to completely decimate the local competition.

You might be thinking of the RX-7 though with the 4 years in a row bit. It won the Bathurst 12-hour production event 3 years consecutively

Falcon500
03-12-2004, 03:55 AM
As for the racing back ground.. Didnt the Skyline get banned from some aussie championship? Becasue it won 4 yrs in a row... Not at all they wernt banned they changed the rules because the catigory wasnt popular...and the fact that people threw stuff at the skyline drivers in a red flagged race. But of course group A was never as popular as Group C (higher rateings group A had but compativly Group C was viewing better. And group A was the first autralian race id ever seen whjere a grouBvolvo beat the group A top class cars....very sad affair.

fpv_gtho
03-12-2004, 04:00 AM
either way im sure it was a highly controversial issue overseas that we couldnt stand international cars beating out local heroes. although true, its not the stuff TV ratings are made of as you said and unfortunately its the ratings the category aims to please first

Falcon500
03-12-2004, 04:15 AM
either way im sure it was a highly controversial issue overseas that we couldnt stand international cars beating out local heroes. although true, its not the stuff TV ratings are made of as you said and unfortunately its the ratings the category aims to please first What local cars? with the rules the way they were all our cars at that time were renderd uncompetative!Holden took advantage of the rules andamde a smaller engine but that didnt last long untill they were simply oput classed by anything else...They tryed to cater for far too much which ruined it...it was based off the english touring cars which are not what australians like...thats why it was a flop!

fpv_gtho
03-12-2004, 05:28 AM
im sure there wouldve been at least a couple of VN's towards the back of the field, what was Dick Johnson driving, did he still have the RS500?

Keith
03-12-2004, 05:31 AM
Cheers for the info lads. Im not to good on racing backgrounds :(. seen a few aussie races on tv. i just heard something about it a while back. As im the Playstation generation 19ys old Skyline is my dream. Thats not saying i wouldnt have a supra. They do rule big time.Dont think ill ever own one though :(. Seen the top secret one. but ive never see one pushing over 1200bhp. seen two Skylines with said figures of about 1500bhp. But never seen the dyno read outs. Never seen the 2000+ bhp figure before. Not saying its not true just that i aint seen it.. If you can find a page with dyno read out... or vids with dyno read outs on.. that would be cool. As they can post any power they want but i want proof. What you guys think of the new concept R35?

Keith
03-12-2004, 11:07 AM
http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/data/data_view.php?code=mov&No=14788&page=2&select=&content=

Have your self a little look at this video..
Skyline is quick off the mark...........
End result dont matter tho.. as you will see...

Niko_Fx
03-12-2004, 11:41 AM
http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/data/data_view.php?code=mov&No=14788&page=2&select=&content=

Have your self a little look at this video..
Skyline is quick off the mark...........
End result dont matter tho.. as you will see...

Hey Keith that is an awesome video. Do you have more links of videos like this one?

UK CARS
03-12-2004, 12:13 PM
nice vid.

Keith
03-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Aint got no more vids like that..........
well that is a small lie..
http://www.exvitermini.com/
get dling the movies off of that... Check out the skyline dyno tests ;)
you guys are gonna love it..
Also a very imfomative site if i do say so my self.
Guy is cool as hell also... talked to him a couple of times.

Keith
03-12-2004, 03:18 PM
check these out
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVV

Blue Supra
03-12-2004, 07:26 PM
What you guys think of the new concept R35?

The new r35 concept scares me a bit to be honest. looking at some of the output and top end speeds its predicted to produce stock is a little disconcerting (isnt it supposed to be the first 300kph car out of japan?). as a young driver i often see young blokes who have been saving n working hard for like 4 years jump from a stock VN commodore into a r33 skyline or something along those lines and mess themselves (and the car) up totally. all i can see is in in 8 or so years wen they become afforadable to younger drivers is a higher road toll. but it does look pretty sweet, even i have to admit that.

Nildo
03-14-2004, 10:15 AM
It is a fair point, but consider these two things. Firstly, there are far more powerful cars available on the road. Also for less money you could buy many other performance cars and make them powerful enough to be faster than the R35.

Secondly how the car is driven is the responsibility of the driver, and a person in a 1600 cc Corolla is just as capable of killing themselves and others in a crash caused by their own stupidity as a person driving a twin-turbo 3.5 V6 skyline.

I think that enhanced performance is fine, provided safety technology improves and is implemented at a similar rate.

panthrax
03-16-2004, 06:23 AM
I'd definitely support the Supra (post 97-98 without the VVTi shit).. however i've seen stock GTR-R33 kick sup-ass.. still, no harm liking wat u have! :p

Blue Supra
03-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Secondly how the car is driven is the responsibility of the driver, and a person in a 1600 cc Corolla is just as capable of killing themselves and others in a crash caused by their own stupidity as a person driving a twin-turbo 3.5 V6 skyline.

I think that enhanced performance is fine, provided safety technology improves and is implemented at a similar rate.

Sadly its true. fortunately in my area of Oz theres a course which Provisional driver 6months+ can do to get an extra 4 demerit points. the course oinvolves studying crashes and their causes. this had an impact on me and i drive more carefully now because of it. At least the governments realised sumthing needs to be done about the youth road toll.

Nildo
03-22-2004, 06:59 AM
I think that sounds like a good initiative. Really though, much of the problem stems from 2 areas. One is young experimentation. Youth and young adults don't often consider their own mortality and the cessation of their life as the result of automotive irresponsibility. This was certainly true for myself, and many of my friends. The second big problem is pride and the need to be accepted, which often is gained through performing acts like driving stupidly, too fast, drunk, stunt driving etc etc. ad nauseum. Really unless we can deter people from being naturally stupid and self destructive due to inexperience we wont reduce the road toll for young drivers. And how succsessful has the anti-smoking campaign been?

PS what was wrong with the Supra gaining VVTi on the inlet cam? Or were you referring to something else?

Karrmann
03-27-2004, 05:41 AM
Is this A Joke!!!!!!!!!!?? The skyline crushes the supra anyday of the week!

megotmea7
03-28-2004, 04:08 AM
by crush what do you mean? these cars performance are very similar

SkyLineRz[GanG]
12-06-2004, 04:11 PM
there is no way a supra twin turbo can beat an r34 GTR.. a skyline runs with an rb26 a supra.. i have no idea.. i dont waste my time lookin' at supra's engines n shit..

crisis
12-06-2004, 04:15 PM
']there is no way a supra twin turbo can beat an r34 GTR.. a skyline runs with an rb26 a supra.. i have no idea.. i dont waste my time lookin' at supra's engines n shit..
Sounds like fanboy talk. You would need a lot more technical information before you can make that judgement. Are we talking stock cars?

jcp123
12-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Hard to say. Supra has plain ol RWD :D and a nasty TT engine that's a full 400cc's bigger :D than the Skyline's, but the Skyline isn't sold here so that makes it more exotic to me. And to my eyes, the Skyline looks better to me. But what really bothers me about the Skyline is the stuff that comes after Skyline, like R34 V-spec-whatever-it-is. Whose bright idea was all that?

Blue Supra
12-06-2004, 04:57 PM
']there is no way a supra twin turbo can beat an r34 GTR.. a skyline runs with an rb26 a supra.. i have no idea.. i dont waste my time lookin' at supra's engines n shit..

i have one word for people like you... tools

Grow up and actual learn what youre babbling about, its known that the 2JZE engine in the Supra is capable of holding more HP then the RB26DET. maybe you should research the subject before you blast your mouth off about stuff you dont even know about.

fibbsjc
12-09-2004, 07:52 AM
I have been to many HKS sponsored Drag shows and I can tell you that the skyline always wins. Always. Now I am well aware that these vehicles have been heavily modified, but that goes for both cars. The key thing to remember is that the weight to power ratio is MUCH better for the Skyline that it is for the Supra. Plus the GTR is AWD and if my memory serves me, the Supra isnt.

megotmea7
12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
a skyline runs with an rb26 a supra.. i have no idea.. i dont waste my time lookin' at supra's engines n shit..
yes the skyline has the RB26. it is a good motor in its own right, but the supra has the 2JZ. en even better, stouter, and more reliable motor plus it is a more torquey motor than the RB. mabe you sould actually take the time to do the reasearch, then you'll make more educated statments than this jibberish

I have been to many HKS sponsored Drag shows and I can tell you that the skyline always wins.
that would be because of fanboys like our pal skylinerz

The key thing to remember is that the weight to power ratio is MUCH better for the Skyline that it is for the Supra.
how do you figure this? the skyline and supra weigh aprox. the same. and if you were to lighten both cars to the same extent you'd actually be able to get the supra chassis lighter.

Plus the GTR is AWD and if my memory serves me, the Supra isnt.
this isnt much of an advantage outside of bragging rights, in a drag race a nice set of rubber will make up for any traction differences, same with around a road coarse. plus. RWD is more fun :)
come on people this has been gone over a bazillion times, just get over it they are great cars alone, it is pointless to argue ver "which one is better" without even saying what its better at even then the question is pointless who cares their performance is so close its just down to a matter of preference and personal bias. ok now childeren off to math class ;)

crisis
12-09-2004, 04:17 PM
yes the skyline has the RB26. it is a good motor in its own right, but the supra has the 2JZ. en even better, stouter, and more reliable motor plus it is a more torquey motor than the RB. mabe you sould actually take the time to do the reasearch, then you'll make more educated statments than this jibberish

that would be because of fanboys like our pal skylinerz

how do you figure this? the skyline and supra weigh aprox. the same. and if you were to lighten both cars to the same extent you'd actually be able to get the supra chassis lighter.

this isnt much of an advantage outside of bragging rights, in a drag race a nice set of rubber will make up for any traction differences, same with around a road coarse. plus. RWD is more fun :)
come on people this has been gone over a bazillion times, just get over it they are great cars alone, it is pointless to argue ver "which one is better" without even saying what its better at even then the question is pointless who cares their performance is so close its just down to a matter of preference and personal bias. ok now childeren off to math class ;)
Done. ;)

KnifeEdge_2K1
12-09-2004, 04:24 PM
well the thing is no matter how reliable or capable the stock motor is, when you push an engine to it's limit wtih these types of modifications which are inevitible when ur talking about skylines and supras, nothing will stop it from malfunctioning

when you squeeze 500 ftlbs of torque off a 2. something litre engine ... its under ALOT of stress

so yeah you can go and show off ur 1000 hp skyline or 1200 hp supra or wutever, but ill still have the satisfaction of knowing that ONE DAY maybe not today, maybe not tommorow, when you're doing a high speed burnout or donut or drag launch, you're going to bend a con rod, kill the clutch, blow a head gasket or piston right, put a hole in ur piston, knock the engine, ect and be humiliated in front of ur peers

Blue Supra
12-09-2004, 04:32 PM
LMAO, good call:)

megotmea7
12-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Done. ;)
to quote my mother from years ago. "dont make me take off my seat belt!" :rolleyes:

RIDECatalyst152
12-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Having said all that, I vote the Supra! It is more comfortable, just as modifyable and more drivable in city areas, as it has almost no turbo lag. But really you should have said the 1997 model. It featured a VVT inlet system, making it marginally faster than the earlier model...... thats what Nildo said. He is Wrong, ONLY the n/a supras came with the VVT-i which is Variable Valve Timing - inteigence...

Blue Supra
12-12-2004, 09:50 PM
thanks for that little tidbit of info;)

jcp123
12-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Actually, I'd want a Skyline with a Supra engine. I like the looks of the Skyline but prefer the engine of the Supra.

Blue Supra
12-13-2004, 01:06 AM
Skyline with a Supra engine.

BLASPHEMY ANTICHRIST ANARCHIST!!!

jcp123
12-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Hahahahahhahaah

Be happy. Left up to me, I'd stick a Chevy 502 in there and be done with it. Then I'd take the spring rates and soften them up, and cruise.

Or left up to me, I'd just start with the Cadillac to begin with :rolleyes:

Falcon500
12-13-2004, 02:29 AM
Nothing wrong with caddys unless you want more then 15 mpg ;)

megotmea7
12-13-2004, 02:49 AM
damn strait, but hey i get more than 15mpg :rolleyes: well not for long...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jcp123
12-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Nothing wrong with caddys unless you want more then 15 mpg ;)

I like the last 3 you posted. The first one's a Lincoln with hydros. I actually like Lincolns a lot. Lincoln was even started by the same man as Cadillac. But hydros...hydros are ghetto.

Anyway, I'm lookin into strappin a 700-R4 AOD onto it, and a couple of very basic modifications to the engine. I'll wager I can get about 12/20 driving sedately with that setup (as opposed to the original 10/14)

Blue Supra
12-13-2004, 07:14 PM
but how frequently will you drive sedately??? ;)

thats the key:)

jcp123
12-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Actually, I almost always drive sedately. I haven't gone more than 70mph in months, and in fact even without cruise control I am very conscious of keeping a constant speed of about 55-60mph.

Although, in town it's a little harder. I do enjoy jockeying for position, though maybe part of that is the machoness from driving a Mustang. No telling how I'll be in a Cad.

88 10 AE rx7
12-13-2004, 09:26 PM
see its tough personally fx rx7 why because its a balance.
the skyline is to big and heavy, looks amazing tho.
the supra is well a supra. again looks great, but you see supras making like 1000hp all the time and there 1/4 mile times suck. to me a perfect car is all about balance. and that would be a rx7, and for you american guys (I used to be) a corvette.

but if i really really had to choose i would choose a skyline because they are more rare, and look way way cooler.

88 10 AE rx7
12-13-2004, 09:28 PM
ur so DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST 276HP for a R34? wat da hell r u goin on about u FREAKIN LAIR. supras can b bout 800HP MAX...SKYLINE 1405HP MAX........u sound another one of those pathetic losers..........n if u install a good turbo in a skyline it'll go up to 1900HP......N I AINT KIDDIN OR LYING LIKE U DO!!!

the above i have changed are actually true facts!!!!!!!! a mate of mine who runs over 50 boyracing garages over nz has told me thats the best time done 4 supras in the ocenia...he used 2 have a supra dunno which year but was 612HP...at first he thought sky's were slow but once i convinced him 2 race n dat was it...the next day his supras were all sold and he started selling sky's n got his own 1...he tuned it up to 389kw on all 4 wheels and 1200HP......u shud try a skyline sum day

You my friend are a complete idiot
"my daddy is bigger than your daddy"
god this forum is full of whiney kids

crisis
12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
You my friend are a complete idiot
"my daddy is bigger than your daddy"
god this forum is full of whiney kids
He was banned a year ago.

crisis
12-13-2004, 09:57 PM
see its tough personally fx rx7 why because its a balance.
the skyline is to big and heavy, looks amazing tho.
the supra is well a supra. again looks great, but you see supras making like 1000hp all the time and there 1/4 mile times suck. to me a perfect car is all about balance. and that would be a rx7, and for you american guys (I used to be) a corvette.

but if i really really had to choose i would choose a skyline because they are more rare, and look way way cooler.
Do we have a possible fanboy sighting?
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195723&postcount=81

Falcon500
12-16-2004, 03:42 AM
I like the last 3 you posted. The first one's a Lincoln with hydros. I actually like Lincolns a lot. Lincoln was even started by the same man as Cadillac. But hydros...hydros are ghetto.

Anyway, I'm lookin into strappin a 700-R4 AOD onto it, and a couple of very basic modifications to the engine. I'll wager I can get about 12/20 driving sedately with that setup (as opposed to the original 10/14)
U just aint down wid DA hood...get some hydros and youll be fly :rolleyes:

Ok enough crap :)

Look in a few magazines some smart carbie choices, more efficent Dual plane manifolds (caddy didnt really put a great deal of thought into their intake manifolds) and also fuel saver cams and prehaps even a propane (i think you americans call it) conversion (cheap and enviromentally friendly) and a few of them mods you mentioned should make it more liveable...

jcp123
12-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Oh trust me, I know. I've been around a lot of engine builds and have seen what works and what doesn't. On a 390 Cad, an Edelbrock Performer (or the Weiand equivalent), along with an Edelbrock 600 or 670 4bbl carb, along with some conservatively sized headers will work it out quite economically. Don't want a Holley carb cuz they don't get the mileage and I don't wanna be out there every other day tuning it because it lost its tune again. The extra 3hp I'd get out of it isn't worth it.

Falcon500
12-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Oh trust me, I know. I've been around a lot of engine builds and have seen what works and what doesn't. On a 390 Cad, an Edelbrock Performer (or the Weiand equivalent), along with an Edelbrock 600 or 670 4bbl carb, along with some conservatively sized headers will work it out quite economically. Don't want a Holley carb cuz they don't get the mileage and I don't wanna be out there every other day tuning it because it lost its tune again. The extra 3hp I'd get out of it isn't worth it.
Well very well put i have a close family friend who would trust a rochester carbie over nearly any holley because he trusts then.....not saying you do....but stick with your guns you know them so keep with it....sorry if im not makleing sense it is saturday night :D

supradreams
01-02-2005, 12:47 AM
hi i have a 1992 supra under my nose.
jut wanted to know what kinda buy is it.
is it a good buy.
i really like that model.
is it worth 3500usd
thanks

Mr Phil
01-02-2005, 01:44 PM
The supra is best, unfortunatly neither look very good though

Mdbgtft
01-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Voting 4 the Skyline :)

01-08-2005, 06:52 PM
supras are faster but skylines are better looking(not so chunky)

SERB-streetracr
01-09-2005, 02:14 PM
ok first of all...nissan skyline has TWIN ball baring turbos...which r top of the line turbos n are longer lasting. second of all....supra and skyline are basicly the same car but different bodys...in the street racing world theyr considered like gods cuz of the power n the nice looks they have...and third of all...i live in canada and i have never seen a nissan skyline gtr-34...ivseen plenty of r-33's ...but they rnt as great...even in carshows...i went to import fest like a few months ago...n there wus no r-34 there....only r 33's...n u know y this is...cuz r-34 skylines r a pain in the ass to get imported...n 95% of the time u wont ...so the reason skyline r-34 is better than supra ...is bcuz of the rarety of it...i mean i see supras all the time...theres one in my neighbour hood... i mean its nice n all but i wana c a skyline...well yah thats all i wanted to say peayce

Rockefella
01-09-2005, 02:21 PM
ok first of all...nissan skyline has TWIN ball baring turbos...which r top of the line turbos n are longer lasting. second of all....supra and skyline are basicly the same car but different bodys...in the street racing world theyr considered like gods cuz of the power n the nice looks they have...and third of all...i live in canada and i have never seen a nissan skyline gtr-34...ivseen plenty of r-33's ...but they rnt as great...even in carshows...i went to import fest like a few months ago...n there wus no r-34 there....only r 33's...n u know y this is...cuz r-34 skylines r a pain in the ass to get imported...n 95% of the time u wont ...so the reason skyline r-34 is better than supra ...is bcuz of the rarety of it...i mean i see supras all the time...theres one in my neighbour hood... i mean its nice n all but i wana c a skyline...well yah thats all i wanted to say peayce
Lol, you are such a flaming tool.
:rolleyes:

Coventrysucks
01-09-2005, 04:47 PM
incomprehensible gibberish and fevered rantings

I like the way that you leave most of the letters out.

Try leaving all the letters out next time.

funkmastaT
01-09-2005, 08:02 PM

You remind me of ricer wannabes in my class that i hear talking and arguing over uselss crap all day. :mad:

CdocZ
01-09-2005, 08:33 PM
You remind me of ricer wannabes in my class that i hear talking and arguing over uselss crap all day. :mad:
you know what funk? i think your right!

crisis
01-12-2005, 06:10 PM
I like the way that you leave most of the letters out.

Try leaving all the letters out next time.
zing!

ericskyline
02-18-2005, 05:35 PM
i perfer skyline but i rather have an Evo 5. it looks better and is cheaper. :D

Porsche ´77
02-19-2005, 01:03 PM
the supra. it´s almost a classic

Manik
02-19-2005, 08:34 PM
I like the supra. Haven't these 2 cars been compared numerous times?

isn't this like the 4th post or somethin........

MGfabinho
03-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Mad people say that skylines r better than supras, these ppeople r kids that don't know anything bout supras and skylines, the only thing the skyline has better than the supra is the lunch cuz its all wheel drive, but its worse for topend and corner. any rearwheel cars handle better than all wheels
so supra is better than the skyline u just gotta know how to drive it

6'bore
03-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Mad people say that skylines r better than supras, these ppeople r kids that don't know anything bout supras and skylines, the only thing the skyline has better than the supra is the lunch cuz its all wheel drive, but its worse for topend and corner. any rearwheel cars handle better than all wheels
so supra is better than the skyline u just gotta know how to drive it

I think your a kid that doesn't know how to type. Its launch not 'lunch'. Its top-end is the same as the supra's and it is faster in the corners because it is all wheel drive and the supra is heavier. IT seems to me like your a kid who knows nothing about cars.period.

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-13-2005, 03:53 PM
they're both way old and have way too many 12 year old fanboys way heavy, discussion over

i cant understand why they're still using supras in jgtc, except for the fact toyota has nothing better in production or on the drawing board and as a platform it is pretty good

the skyline has been phased out and replaced by the 350s which are doing REALLY well but its mostly cuz of funding, some of the teams have budgets that compare with what wrc teams use, and the nsx isnt doing that well in gt500 last time i checked and some teams are deciding to move to the lower gt300 class to remain competitive

Koenigsegg_CC
03-18-2005, 05:50 PM
definatly the supra, it's just so much better :)

CdocZ
03-18-2005, 05:51 PM
I think your a kid that doesn't know how to type. Its launch not 'lunch'. Its top-end is the same as the supra's and it is faster in the corners because it is all wheel drive and the supra is heavier. IT seems to me like your a kid who knows nothing about cars.period.

Nice one 6 :p

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-18-2005, 07:10 PM
definatly the supra, it's just so much better :)

because its ... dude back up ur claims

Bob
03-18-2005, 08:16 PM
I always liked the Supra... but all Japanese car are capped at 276 horses so its more a matter of preference for awd or rwd But both cars are legends in japanese sportscars, who cares which is better. (I'd take either btw)

whiteballz
03-18-2005, 09:17 PM
back then they were limited, that gentalmans agreement is over now, so that point is valid for the reason that it WAS active when these cars were made.

but i think i prefer the supra, just because i love the shape.

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-18-2005, 10:12 PM
back then they were limited, that gentalmans agreement is over now, so that point is valid for the reason that it WAS active when these cars were made.

but i think i prefer the supra, just because i love the shape.

actually it was the law, 280 was the legal limit for production cars, that didnt stop tuners from upping private cars to 600+ in many cases so i guess the government thought hey what the heck

plus they were really constricting themselves since they do have to compete with cars from and in other markets and 280 seems pretty low to cap urself at, 3 or 4 hundred make much more sense for safety and economy (both the fuel kind and the money kind)

whiteballz
03-18-2005, 10:19 PM
i thought it was just a gentalmans agreement?

crisis
03-20-2005, 04:22 AM
i thought it was just a gentalmans agreement?
I think the gentelmens agreement was that they all "claimed" 280. ;)

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-20-2005, 07:13 PM
the "gentleman's agreement" ur talkin about may be the european one about how none of their cars will top 155mph (which was routinely broken by almost all of the parties involved)

the 280 limit in japan was the law and for the most part all of the manufacturers complied with it, they didnt go and design a 500hp powerplant and put 280 on the pages

clutch-monkey
03-20-2005, 08:18 PM
i read somewhere that the r33 gtr had a 'claimed' 280hp, and yet was half a second faster to 60, despite weighing an extra 80kg

mjcole12
03-21-2005, 12:07 AM
the "gentleman's agreement" ur talkin about may be the european one about how none of their cars will top 155mph (which was routinely broken by almost all of the parties involved)

thats not a european thing thats a german thing

bmw merc vw and audi limit ther cars to 155 with 1 or 2 exceptions SLR
its to keep the german green party happy

porkers do not follow this trend

Lagonda
03-21-2005, 01:09 AM
actually it was the law, 280 was the legal limit for production cars, that didnt stop tuners from upping private cars to 600+ in many cases so i guess the government thought hey what the heck

plus they were really constricting themselves since they do have to compete with cars from and in other markets and 280 seems pretty low to cap urself at, 3 or 4 hundred make much more sense for safety and economy (both the fuel kind and the money kind)

It was NOT the law, it was indeed an agreement between the manufacturers.

reeper
03-24-2005, 12:04 AM
hey man
I think the R-34 rocks the house

Godlaus
03-24-2005, 12:59 PM
And that's your opinion, and yu're entitled to it.

Let's see......Practically? I'd have to go with the Supra, seeing as how I'm in the US, and parts/repair/insurance would be cheaper, but the R34 would turn a lot more heads. The ATTESSA is hard to give up also, but RWD and a rock hard 2JZ block is amazing to tune with. If I had all the money in the world, it would be the GTR, but it looks like the supra for now.

ay yup, to prevent horsepower wars, but it seems like Honda broke that law, and what's happening here in the US is going to happen in Japan.

6'bore
03-24-2005, 02:27 PM

god stop bitching dude.

skyline d best
09-26-2005, 05:43 AM
supras are good cars but im with the skyline cause of it's looks and the way it handles.Anyways everybody has his own opinions...

Rockefella
09-26-2005, 05:52 AM
supras are good cars but im with the skyline cause of it's looks and the way it handles.Anyways everybody has his own opinions...
Let me guess what you've done...

- Went to google and punched in Nissan Skyline GTR-34 V-Spec II. Found UltimateCarPage.com/forum/....

- Registered, and put skyline d best as your name, figures.

- Went to search, and put in named skyline from above.

- Found this 6 month old thread.

- Posted your opinion, and will never come back. Thank you.

The_Canuck
09-27-2005, 02:27 PM
man i could find like 40 examples of this lol

6'bore
09-27-2005, 02:35 PM

Eeeeeeaaaaaat sh*t Sh*t brick.

Pando
09-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Why do I have the feeling this thread will never die.