PDA

View Full Version : A "Comedy of Errors" NOT!

pcgms
06-20-2004, 04:46 PM
After watching the dismal way the F1 handled the series of crashes leads me to believe that Bernie and Company stand by the statement "The show must go on". Thats all well and good, but why wasn't the track cleaned after each accident and shunt with the walls. IMS has a vast array of equiptment to do just that. I am sure Alonzo will second this thought!
And the second and more serious oversight is why did it take so long for medical help to arrive at Ralf's damaged car? When seconds count, there is no excuse for the rescue teams to take over 4 minutes to reach a striken driver.
Living in the States, I have seen Indy's rescue crews in action. Many times they are already nearing the damaged car before it stops sliding. Why can't F1, which boasts about it's commitment to safety follow suit.
Thankfully, it looks as though Ralf is not badly injured. But what of next time Bernie?
Otis52
" I chase the dream today, as tomorrow may never come."

Matra et Alpine
06-20-2004, 04:51 PM
It's the responsibility of the race organiser to arrange marshals, safety and primary medical services.

Why Indy failed to provide for an F1 race what is present every weekend, I don't understand. Not wanting to make too much fun of a bad situation, but do you think they were confused with it running the wrong way round ??

Not down to Bernie this one.

Coventrysucks
06-20-2004, 05:21 PM
I believe that they are renegotiating the Indy/F1 contract, maybe today's events may have some bearing on that.

In an ITV interview Bernie did say that he might have an event on the West coast, and wanted a race in Manhattan, so I don't think Indiannapolis can afford to become complacent.
:)

NAZCA C2
06-20-2004, 07:01 PM
F1's safety people must be getting too confident. Since there have'nt been many serious crashes in recent years they must figure that they don't need to bring the safety cars out for every wreck. If there is a wreck with debris all over the place F1 needs to bring out a full course caution, get the safety car out, and even stop the cars if need be.

Matra et Alpine
06-21-2004, 12:13 AM
F1's safety people must be getting too confident. Since there have'nt been many serious crashes in recent years they must figure that they don't need to bring the safety cars out for every wreck. If there is a wreck with debris all over the place F1 needs to bring out a full course caution, get the safety car out, and even stop the cars if need be.
Again, it is local track officials who make those calls.

I think what THEY may not have taken into account is the lighter construction of F1 cars. So an Indy car hitting the wall like that would not be as serious. Perhaps they had looked at the accident and applying their experience of Indy accidents had not expected serious injury OR significant damage to the car.

Suka
06-21-2004, 12:18 AM
In my humble opinion the race should either have been stopped to clear debris or take the drivers down the pit lane to avoid getting punctures.

drakkie
06-21-2004, 01:41 AM
The race official :Charlie Whiting decides whether the race is stopped or not.

About the crash of ralf, i feel that the race had to be stopped and restarted.The marshalls came onto the track far too late, but they might have been scared about te consquences of what may happen when they come into action too early.

Matra et Alpine
06-21-2004, 01:49 AM
The race official :Charlie Whiting decides whether the race is stopped or not.
It's a moot point, but the Race Director has authority and the Clerk of the Course must seek Race Directors approval for major actions - like stopping a race. BUT it's to the Clerk of the Course to take leadership in ANY event.
It would be extraordinary circumstances where a Race Director would over-ride or act without CoC request.
See FIA articles 36-38.