PDA

View Full Version : i think im a genius

GTR Dreamer
06-25-2004, 01:22 AM
well i think ive just invented a new way of shiftn gears.
but the problem is what now?
like, should i get something done to make sure that no one else steals my idea.
itll probly need some brainy engineer 2 fine tune it .ie, angles ect.
but other than that i think its a pretty sweet idea.

Matra et Alpine
06-25-2004, 02:33 AM
well i think ive just invented a new way of shiftn gears.
but the problem is what now?
like, should i get something done to make sure that no one else steals my idea.
itll probly need some brainy engineer 2 fine tune it .ie, angles ect.
but other than that i think its a pretty sweet idea.
Before wasting your time and the costs of an expensive engineer, you maybe want to do a patent search. There are a few patent search engines available free on-line - but it takes patience :(

You may find it's been done already and if not you'll see the type of thing you'll have to do if you want to protect it. Patent's are expensive tho' :(

GTR Dreamer
06-25-2004, 02:57 AM
what about if i take it to a company? i.e Nissan, Mitsubishi ect.
do you think they would be interested :confused:

Egg Nog
06-25-2004, 03:01 AM
Any hints? ;) I promise I won't steal your patent :)

GTR Dreamer
06-25-2004, 03:09 AM
push shifter foward, changes gear up,returns back 2 origional position for next shift.push back, changes down.
:D :D :D :eek:
p.s u heard of this before?

Matra et Alpine
06-25-2004, 04:31 AM
push shifter foward, changes gear up,returns back 2 origional position for next shift.push down, changes down.
:D :D :D :eek:
p.s u heard of this before?

It's called sequentiual gear change.

Been used in bikes for about 80 years.
Been used in top televised competition cars ( race and rally ) for 10 years.
Sorry to burst a bubble, but don't stop trying to innovate !!!

Coventrysucks
06-25-2004, 04:31 AM
That'd be a sequential shifter then...

GTR Dreamer
06-25-2004, 01:51 PM
yea but does the shifter come back 2 origional position?

Matra et Alpine
06-25-2004, 01:57 PM
yea but does the shifter come back 2 origional position?
yes.

It's NOT ( and never has been ) like an auto stick - which has different positions.

As bike gear change is with your foot, it would kinda make it a bit difficult if it didn't work on central position with up or down to change gears.

Try and watch WRC - there are PLENTY of in car videos on-line - there you will see the stick change and it operates ( and always has ) the way you describe.

GTR Dreamer
06-25-2004, 02:29 PM
oh bugger. i thought i was brainy for a while then.

but wait.............................................. ...........i still might have a different way of doing it to them. i.e design :rolleyes:

Matra et Alpine
06-25-2004, 03:19 PM
oh bugger. i thought i was brainy for a while then.

but wait.............................................. ...........i still might have a different way of doing it to them. i.e design :rolleyes:
Perhaps.

Some advice, the first thing a GREAT designer does is to find out what has been done before - in detail.

That gives you the opportunity to stand on the shoulders of the great men and women who preceded you.

So studying and researching engineering periodicals and patents will give you insights and perhaps open opportuinities for you.

In terms of gearbox IMPLEMENTATION, there are pretty much only 2 types for discrete gears - pre-engaged ( as used in bikes and now in F1/WRC ) and not ( as used everywhere else ). They work differently and you'd do well to understand them. Then you have epicyclic gearboxes which have been used in the past and in autos and of course CVT.

megotmea7
06-25-2004, 11:47 PM
if you'd like to learn more about sequential transmissions check out www.howstuffworks.com they have a pretty good article on them ;)

Egg Nog
06-26-2004, 01:54 AM
Some advice, the first thing a GREAT designer does is to find out what has been done before - in detail.

Agreed, this is very true :)

Even Gordon Murray went to Japan and bought a Toyota, just so that they could essentially map out and engineer the McLaren F1's door system properly. Same system, and it worked out very well for them.

foto_choppa
06-26-2004, 05:34 AM
yea, how stuff works is a graet site for tecnicalia