PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Quiggs
06-27-2004, 04:06 PM
I had my stereo installed in the Golf today. Picked it up at Best Buy, paid them, went out and started it. Fired right up. Turned it off for maybe 3 minutes, went to start it, and the starter just clicked a few times; then the alarm went off. Finally got it compression started with help from the Best Buy installer guy. My dad said it'd recharge on the way home to a good enough level. Well, it's still not working, and we've hooked it up to a stand-alone charger. Batter is full. Starter's still clicking and alarm still goes off.

Any ideas before I tow it back to the Best Buy tomorrow? After that it's off to my VW guy (who I'd rather not have to send it to; he's kinda expensive...)... Any help appreciated.

I miss my baby... :(

Matra et Alpine
06-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Any ideas before I tow it back to the Best Buy tomorrow? After that it's off to my VW guy (who I'd rather not have to send it to; he's kinda expensive...)... Any help appreciated.

I miss my baby... :(
If he dosconnected the battery - he should have - then one possibility is it's not connected properly. So connection is OK for low current but breaking down for starter motor.
Possibility they've mixed up the power feeds ?
BestBuy installer has obviously knackered something.
Don't know about US spec electrics, but check if there are in-line fuses on the curcuit diagram. it could be something simple.

werty
06-27-2004, 05:25 PM
if it was best buy's fault, then they should fix it for free, i woudn't worry about it to much,

.....maybe its a freak electrical accident, then you get free whatever you want from best buy and then they will have to buy you a new even better VW!! One can only hope.....

Quiggs
06-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Well, it turns out it was just the battery. Apparently my sub amp (200watt RMS Alpine) steals quite a bit of juice, and the 5 minutes I had the car off with the stereo on was enough to cook it. So I picked up an Optima red-top. 720 cold crank amps. The battery came highly recommended from other VW enthusiasts with huge stereos. So I'm happy. ;)

johnnynumfiv
06-29-2004, 06:42 AM
Those red tops are supposed to be the best battery you can buy.

Matra et Alpine
06-29-2004, 06:43 AM
Those red tops are supposed to be the best battery you can buy.
If you contact local airfield services, you can get aircraft batteries
SOOO much more deeper discharge than normal and small :)

Quiggs
06-29-2004, 07:33 AM
Heh, the one manager at my Best Buy is afraid of my mom. A while back, our older computer broke. Three times, in exactly one year (warranty card was expiring that day) and our video card crapped out. So we took it back, and she went off on the guy who said it'd be gone for another 3 weeks after we'd just gotten it back the previous day. So he got his manager, and she went off again (it's really fun to watch when you aren't the one getting screamed at).

I still see that guy there. And when he sees my mom, he conveniently disappears...

werty
06-29-2004, 03:00 PM
i just installed an amp in my truck from best buy and it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm going to return it right now, my sub worked louder and better without the amp,....what a waste :rolleyes: