PDA

View Full Version : Just a suggestion

r1ckst4
06-28-2004, 02:46 AM
UCP is a great site but i think that UCP can be a REALLY great site if it has chat rooms for the members! :D do u guys agree wit me? :D

whiteballz
06-28-2004, 03:25 AM
the reason UCP is a forum is because people of all time zones can read what has been posted earlyer, and not just when they are on.

this subject has come up about 5 times since i started viewing UCP, and thats basicaly the right asnwer

360_challenge
06-28-2004, 07:08 AM
there is some sort of chat room isnt there? i think DP put it on a post a while back

Egg Nog
06-28-2004, 10:01 PM
There definately needs to be a real UCP-based chat system. It's been suggested a few times over the past year, and i'm still a big supporter of the idea. It would be ideal.

Wouter? TrueChaosZ? Maybe look into some javascript-based chat applets?

fpv_gtho
06-29-2004, 05:37 AM
i know theres some people that have simply made a seperate group for people from UCP on their MSN lists, so from that they just go around collecting everyones address

Wouter Melissen
06-29-2004, 06:24 AM
Whiteballz is correct. A chat applet would undermine the purpose of the forums. Despite the different timezones, a forum system offers users to enter all conversations. In a chat, all conversations are lost immediatly.

Fowler
06-29-2004, 09:05 AM
I dont think it would undermine the forums at all.

Unless of course, we get some major arseholes causing trouble in the chat room, then it may become a prob.

Matra et Alpine
06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
I dont think it would undermine the forums at all.
Where we'd lose seomthign in the forums is where it gets technical and answers are shared. Then that knowledge is lost to the rest of UCP - bad :(
Pictures have been shared on messenger too - and I've been as guilty - and then everyone else doens't get to see them and they are ONLY there for the furation of the chat.
No chance to look back and see it again or check a comment or piece of advice.
Chat has it's place but it then falls on users to remember to cross-post useful stuff. In reality that won't happen so UCP loses out :(

Falcon500
07-02-2004, 06:45 AM
Im still all for it despite the possible lostcontent...the discussions that can be had in real time can hardly be replicated in posts...and momentery things arer hard to get in this form too...im mainly all for it so i have an outlet to prattle on rather then in the actual forums....i like to talk :) and nothing is really lost this way....

Also i dont have MSNand it didnt work when i tryed to use it...i use yahoo messenger....

stratos
07-02-2004, 09:14 AM
i don't agree if there's chats people won't come anymore to the forum .... and if you want to speak with menbers just ask if they messenger

Ferrari Tifosi
07-02-2004, 10:06 AM
I think a chat room would be a great idea. Like Falcon500 said, I also like to talk. I don't think it would effect the forums, I know I would still post on it.

Egg Nog
07-04-2004, 05:06 AM
I've seen a few chat systems which go on for around four hours at a time on a weekly basis. Something like this could totally complement the forums, without detracting from the content at all.

It seems like that would be a great compromise for both sides of this debate.

Falcon500
07-04-2004, 06:14 AM
I've seen a few chat systems which go on for around four hours at a time on a weekly basis. Something like this could totally complement the forums, without detracting from the content at all.

It seems like that would be a great compromise for both sides of this debate.
Umm can we make it twice dayly? rember there are some large time diffrences while this may be still a few people who are left out it increses the oppurtunity to go on this system :)
Also prehaps a quote thread in the forums could be used allowing people to save memroable,worthwhile or funny things that are said?

Egg Nog
07-04-2004, 07:11 PM
I was kinda thinking about something like...well... maybe a six-hour weekly friday chat, which would be designed to include most of our member base. I'm often up pretty late when a there are still a lot of Europeans and Aussies online. If it was six hours, I'm sure there would be ample time to talk with members from all over the place.