PDA

View Full Version : Weather Condition / Turbo Engines

Niko_Fx
06-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Probably a dumb question:

Does a cooler climate affect the performance on a turbocharged engine?

cls12vg30
06-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Well it won't really affect the performance of the turbocharger, but cooler air generally results in slightly better performance for both turbo and N/A engines.

Niko_Fx
06-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Well it won't really affect the performance of the turbocharger, but cooler air generally results in slightly better performance for both turbo and N/A engines.

I kindda knew about N/A engines since that's the idea of cold air intakes. But was wondering if a cold weather would have sort of the same effect as an intercooler on a turbo engine.

Thanks for the input.

johnnynumfiv
06-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Rain hitting the intercooler makes more power. Cold weather also makes the car get some more boost. My friends wrx gets noticable added boost from rain or coldweather.

Sweeney921
06-30-2004, 07:03 PM
yes, colder air makes a better boost. that's because when air is colder, it's obviously more compact, so even more air can be forced into the engine if the air is cold.

Ferrari Tifosi
06-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Like everyone else has said, colder air = more oxygen, which in turn creates more power, no matter if the engine is turbocharged or not. Weather in the racing world has a huge effect on setups. For example, Colder air makes the engine make more power, but it also makes it harder for the car to cut through the air. Everythings a trade off, it sucks.

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-30-2004, 10:02 PM
does colder air prevent or induce knocking, since knocking happens when the air fuel mixture is too compressed/"hot" i'm confused as to whether the denser air would be a hinderance or beneficial to performance

TheOne
06-30-2004, 10:57 PM
colder air does give some performance, since theere's more particles compared to hot air, denser meanin more compression and more power, i did notice that when goin to the race track(1/8 mile), my brother was makin less times at night than at day(air was cooler at night), also noticed when we did the dyno to that car(mustang GT), there was a 2-3hp loss after each run cause the engine comparment was hot after the first and 2nd run.

Ferrari Tifosi
06-30-2004, 11:13 PM
does colder air prevent or induce knocking, since knocking happens when the air fuel mixture is too compressed/"hot" i'm confused as to whether the denser air would be a hinderance or beneficial to performance

Knocking is the same as Detonation (If I rememeber correctly) and detonation is defined as a hasty burning or explosion of the mixture in the engine's cylinders. So, since colder air makes the mixture combust better (because there's more oxygen) knocking is eliminated or reduced.