PDA

View Full Version : FIA proposal in F1

Ferrari Tifosi
06-30-2004, 08:17 PM
"FIA ask teams to slow cars down
Speeds to be cut - by agreement or force

Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has asked for proposals to reduce the performance levels of the cars in light of recent accidents, which they say have “tested the absolute limits” of current safety regulations.

At Wednesday’s meeting of the World Motor Sport Council it was unanimously decided that the Formula One Technical Working Group must come up with ways to slow the cars. The move follows high-speed crashes such as Felipe Massa’s in Canada, and Ralf Schumacher’s at Indianapolis in which he suffered two spinal fractures.

If proposals cannot be agreed, the FIA say they will enforce their right to impose changes on safety grounds. Any such changes would be announced in October and come into force three months later, in time for the 2005 Formula One season.

In stating the case for the need to cut performance, the FIA pointed out the huge decrease in lap times witnessed over the last six years. At Imola for example, this year’s fastest lap was almost nine seconds faster than in 1998, while Melbourne and Monaco have seen 7.5 and 8.5 second reductions respectively.

On a separate matter, the FIA announced that 19 potential dates have been blocked for the 2005 FIA Formula One Championship. The dates are as follows:

March 6, March 20, April 3, April 17, April 24, May 8, May 22, June 5, June 12, June 26, July 3, July 17, July 31, August 21, September 4, September 11, September 25, October 9 and October 23."

This article is from F1.com.

I don't know if I like this proposal, safety changes can be made by other means in my opinion. What's y'alls opinion on the matter?

Matra et Alpine
07-01-2004, 01:45 AM
I don't know if I like this proposal, safety changes can be made by other means in my opinion. What's y'alls opinion on the matter?
They do need to slow the cars down as it'a contributory to the lack of overtaking.

But it galls me to see the debalce at Indy as justification for F1 to change .
Racing in lightweight performance cars should NOT be undertaken on ovals with concrete walls. WTF ? Why not just let lions loose in the pit lane !!!!
Road circuits with high speeds and CONCRETE walls should also get taken out of the calendar or the tracks brought up to 'racing' standard. They may be great for 'show' but it isn't real racing :(