PDA

View Full Version : Boost Controller

GTR Dreamer
07-02-2004, 02:15 PM
okay, so how does a boost controller work, what does it do to flick through boost levels. :confused:

TheOne
07-02-2004, 02:20 PM
what i know is that boost controllers use a blow-off valve, its like manually doin it but with the controller its automatic:), you up the levels and the blow-off valve will not open as much, allowin more exhaust gases to go to the turbo and making more boost, lower the level and the blow-off valve will open more allowin less gases and less boost.
correct me if am wrong though, thats as far as i know.

GTR Dreamer
07-02-2004, 02:23 PM
o, i had a feelin it used the BOV, :rolleyes:

Matra et Alpine
07-02-2004, 03:04 PM
okay, so how does a boost controller work, what does it do to flick through boost levels. :confused:
There are 2 ways.

One varies the BOV setting and allows the excess pressure to bleed off at programmed points.

The second varies the wastegate to adjust the amount of gas bypassing the turbine.

The latter is better in a designed system, the former is easier ( cheaper ) and makes the noise all 'ricers' like :)

Some boost controllers are in reality full ECUs and map a number of variables, cheap ones use engine revs and not much else :(

http://www.rtec.ch/prinzipt.gif

Ferrari Tifosi
07-02-2004, 03:31 PM
I've never heard of Boost Controller that works with the BOV to regulate boost, and frankly I don't see how a BOV has anything to do with regulating boost. Boost Controllers work with the wastegate, as Matra said, and the wastegate is what regulates the boost by bypassing exhaust gases. What the BOV does is regulates the pressure in the plumbing. Whenever you let off the gas, the throttle plate closes. Well, with a turbocharged engine without a BOV the boost would collect in the plumbing, when the plate is closed, and causes a surge of air to return to the turbo. This surge can destroy the turbocharger. The BOV job is to sense an increase of pressure in the plumbing and "Blow off" excess compressed air.

fpv_gtho
07-03-2004, 12:37 AM
i would have though they'd only work by regulating the wastegate, apparently theres more to it than that

TheOne
07-03-2004, 01:31 AM
nice pic matra, i think i shoulda said the the wastegate, not the bov,tho i was almost correct there:), the boost cotroller had to open or close something in order for exhaust gases to go up/down meanin lower/higher boost levels