PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi's ACD and AYC

KnifeEdge_2K1
07-03-2004, 01:33 PM
how do "Active" center differentials and "Active Yaw Control" System's work?
are they just electronic differentials with a computer constantly adjusting torque split

I know Viscous Difs use plates and a viscous fluid and mechanical type difs use a clutch and spring pack to regulate torque split but I cant begin to think of how the "Active" differentials work

Matra et Alpine
07-03-2004, 04:46 PM
how do "Active" center differentials and "Active Yaw Control" System's work?
are they just electronic differentials with a computer constantly adjusting torque split

I know Viscous Difs use plates and a viscous fluid and mechanical type difs use a clutch and spring pack to regulate torque split but I cant begin to think of how the "Active" differentials work
As introduced in the Evo 7 ( IIRC ) the ACD used the same technique employed in the AYC of the earlier EVOs.
AYC operated as a controlled LSD on the rear diff.
ACD added similar control capability to a centre diff.
Mitsu use an external pump to pressurise the internals of the plates to control the amount of slip between the input and outputs.
The control system takes a number of inputs and from that and programs the optimum slip and torque transfer. It increase the pressure to 'lock' the drive at various slips. Alternatively it may 'lock'different numebr of clutch plates as in the 959.
Other options used in the past in the early AYC was to have magnetic plates and external current to pull clutches in the diffs to increase grip and drive between input and output.
I believe that all now use a variation of the pumped pressure as a more reliable and controllable method.