PDA

View Full Version : the future freedom tower

kitkat
07-05-2004, 04:42 AM
a few drawing pictures of the future freedom tower. it will have 72 floors and stand 1776 feet tall.

Matra et Alpine
07-05-2004, 04:53 AM
a few drawing pictures of the future freedom tower. it will have 72 floors and stand 1776 feet tall.
Nice, I'm glad the willingness to build 'big' is still present.
NY has never been the same since :(

My only concern is the title.
It was in the name of 'freedom' that the terrorists justified there actions.
To name it that seems a little odd.
I'd have liked it to have reflected more "NEW York"ness about it's name.
Especially the courage shown by the FDNY guys.
Perhaps courage or bravery or spirit ( my preference as it could mean many things )

Is it definately going ahead ?
Any links to read more ??

cheers

henk4
07-05-2004, 05:04 AM
it looks like it will make an easy target

stratos
07-05-2004, 05:22 AM
terrorist have a new target even bigger than the last one ... hope dosen't hapen anything :o

Coventrysucks
07-05-2004, 05:29 AM
Freedom tower?
Is it made with freedom fries?

I was really shocked by the attacks that day, and I do feel bad for all of the people who lost loved ones.

However I despise the way that it has been portrayed as a vicious attack on "freedom", and the only people ever affected by terrorists are 11/9 victims.

There have been a great many number of attacks all over the world, all throughout the 20th century, but you don't see everyone else building mile high towers.

I guess it is just part of the "we are Americans, therefore we are better than you" attitude I see all the time.

Would the money not be better spent helping poor, starving people in third world countries?

Would the money not be better spent trying to help reduce terrorism?

Rijoh
07-05-2004, 05:50 AM
it looks like it will make an easy target
Exactly what I thought

Ferrari Tifosi
07-05-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm glad they're building this, like Matra said New York hasn't been the same since 9/11, and this building will hopefully restore the way New Yorkers were before the attacks.

werty
07-05-2004, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=
Is it definately going ahead ?
Any links to read more ??

cheers[/QUOTE]

heard on the news yesterday, they just started! should have a awesome presence in New York. :cool:

VtecMini
07-05-2004, 03:21 PM
I totally agree with coventrysucks. The money could be spent so much better elsewhere. If they were to have the strength of character to go and put that money into rebuilding and rehabilitating Iraq, then I think that would deserve far more respect.

Just replacing the damn things with something bigger and uglier proves nothing at all.

For what it's worth I also reckon it's a really bad piece of architecture from those images.

Fowler
07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Bush seems way too fixated on the word "Freedom". Matter of fact, I've found that he stresses that word in every damn speech of his. Lemme tell ya I'm getting sick of that word.

As for the tower, its too futuristic to grace the new york skyline. Stands out in the bad way. The bad, tacky way. They could've just made a nice little memorial, but oh hell no. :(

Its funny, we tend to think al queda made a mistake. Yet 9/11 did more for them then they could ever dream of. Sorry bastards.....

IBrake4Rainbows
07-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Freedom is an overused word at the moment. What it represents has been muddled up in the Political feeling the word has meant to be invoking..

To be honest, i don't like tall buildings,(strange, one of the tallest in my class and i suffer vertigo.....) but hey, it's their skyline, let them build the worlds most commercial memorial. and constantly remind workers in the building that they may be next........

anyway, i heard that at 8:46 on Sept 11 Each year a shaft of light will pass throught the top of the building onto the ground below, should be fascinating.

Homem de Gelo
07-05-2004, 06:33 PM
The name sucks.

Niko_Fx
07-05-2004, 06:46 PM
I would be too scared to work there. If they'd assigned me on the top floor I would bring a parachute everyday to work.

Seriously I wouldn't like to work there.

Coventrysucks
07-05-2004, 07:25 PM
I would be too scared to work there. If they'd assigned me on the top floor I would bring a parachute everyday to work.

Seriously I wouldn't like to work there.

The answer to your needs:
www.brian-milton.com/lastresort/

baddabang
07-05-2004, 07:43 PM
really why freedom? Why not call it the world trade center? thats what its replacing. by the way the 1776 feet of it is suppost to represent the year we won independence so I guess thats were the freedom part comes in. :)

megotmea7
07-06-2004, 02:09 AM
terrorist have a new target even bigger than the last one
word on the streets is it'll have 4 SAM batteries and a AA gun :cool:.

However I despise the way that it has been portrayed as a vicious attack on "freedom", and the only people ever affected by terrorists are 11/9 victims. no ones saying "the only ones affected by terrorism were 9/11 victems" we're just mourning our own is that wrong? we just happen to have the resources to burn on a bigger tower that tells the world "you knock us down, we'll get back up bigger than ever"

I guess it is just part of the "we are Americans, therefore we are better than you" attitude I see all the time. i fail to see how this building implys this...

Would the money not be better spent helping poor, starving people in third world countries?
Would the money not be better spent trying to help reduce terrorism?
are we not spending enough on these causes already? is is selfish of a nation to mourn those lost by terrorism by building a memorial and not spending every last cent on everyone else?

hundreds of millions of dollars to build, one 100,000$ scud missile to un-build it
i guess you've never heard of the us missle defense system? and a country with access to a scud would not be stupid enough to expose themselves to the wrath of bush by doing something as stupid as launching a missle at americas new pride and joy...

If they were to have the strength of character to go and put that money into rebuilding and rehabilitating Iraq, then I think that would deserve far more respect.
again were not dumping billions into the reconstruction of iraq?

Coventrysucks
07-06-2004, 04:48 AM
no ones saying "the only ones affected by terrorism were 9/11 victems" we're just mourning our own is that wrong? we just happen to have the resources to burn on a bigger tower that tells the world "you knock us down, we'll get back up bigger than ever"

I don't expect you to understand, but the world has a very different view to America.

cls12vg30
07-06-2004, 07:53 AM
Scud missile? C'mon guys, do your homework, a Scud only has a range of a couple hundred miles, so either they'd have to smuggle an entire scud into the USA or perhaps fire it from southern Quebec. Even so, scuds aren't accurate enough to aim at a specific building, best you can do is aim them at a city.

I'm all for the SAMS on the roof, if that's true. Just make sure their beefy enough and manned by competent people so as to take out an approaching attacker while it's still out over the harbor or one of the rivers.

As for the money to build it, I am quite sure that a large percentage of the money has come from corporate and private contributions, NOT the government, and certainly not the federal government, it's not part of their jurisdiction at all. So don't worry, the money's not being diverted from the billions upon billions the US Government GIVES to third world nations every year.

Fowler
07-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Defense systems on privately owned property? :eek:

I'm telling you now theres no way in hell I'd stand for ****ing SAM systems being allowed on private property. I don't care how many dollar bills you can wipe your ass with on a daily basis, You just don't get away with that crap!

whiteballz
07-06-2004, 11:13 PM
if not a scud, why not an ICBM? :p

if you dont know north korea has four different types of missiles that can hit all of america. two of them a nuclear. i dont see the point in building another bigger target. im sure no one will attack like that again soon, america has blamed the entire arab world for al quaieda's attack.

and america has an entirely different view to everyone else. i feel sorry for canada being next to you guys... not to mention they were colonised by the french...

(no offence to our canadian members, but being so close to america would give me the shits, not to mention all the flak they give you about it.)