0-60 mph: 3.9 seconds
Top Speed: 340 kms

Sweeney921
07-06-2004, 10:45 AM
its aint rice if it's got those kinda performance figures

Coventrysucks
07-06-2004, 10:55 AM
its aint rice if it's got those kinda performance figures

Being fast is no excuse for looking shttp://www.fancysplace.com/smileys/censored.gift

Its bloody awful.

Why do these tuning companies think that because they can tune engines, they have a good eye for designing body kits?

Sweeney921
07-06-2004, 11:48 AM
what's wrong with this one?

Wolf03
07-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Man, if you think that's bad, you haven't seen anything. Anyway, I have been looking for pictures of this car and thank you. It doesn't looks bad at all. I really like the doors. :D

Coventrysucks
07-06-2004, 05:21 PM
what's wrong with this one?

I don't see the point of trying to make the SL look like an SLR.
It isn't an SLR, even Stevie Wonder wouldn't be fooled by that pathetic attempt.

It doesn't work, it looks like a cheap bit of plastic stuck in the middle of the grille.

The gullwing doors are also pointless, they add unneccesary complexity and weight to the car. Also from those angles it appears they would seriously impinge on the ability to enter/exit the vehicle, which is the primary function of a door, so if they can't even get that right...

Have they tested that aero kit in a wind tunnel? Does it improve downforce in low speed corners? Does it reduce lift and increase stability at high speed?
Or did they just sit about and say:
"Race cars have wings, lets get some of them on there!"

I suppose this is only for big pimping rappers with a lot of money* and no taste, so for that purpose it is fine.

*Although not quite enough to afford a proper SLR.

All IMHO of course. ;)
:)

Sweeney921
07-06-2004, 05:41 PM
who said it's supposed to be like a SLR? i'de really wanna know, since no one said it.

what piece of cheap plastic are you talking about in the center of the SL grill? the mercedes logo?

didn't you notice that the first SLR is legendary for its gullwings? the fact that it has gullwings doesn't mean that it's trying to be a SLR; i think it's just continuing the legend. or they put them on there for originality.

how do we know the aero kit works.......look at the top speed. it's faster than the stock SL, by 90 km/h. as for low speed corners, what's the need for downforce if you're going slow ?

Auf wiedersehen, Madchens und Jungen

EDIT: i just noticed that one of the SL's has a removed center logo, so my b, but the black one has the logo

Coventrysucks
07-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Didn't you notice that the first SLR is legendary for its gullwings? the fact that it has gullwings doesn't mean that it's trying to be a SLR; i think it's just continuing the legend. or they put them on there for originality.

how do we know the aero kit works.......look at the top speed. it's faster than the stock SL, by 90 km/h. as for low speed corners, what's the need for downforce if you're going slow ?

Auf wiedersehen, Madchens und Jungen

EDIT: i just noticed that one of the SL's has a removed center logo, so my b, but the black one has the logo

I'll address the SLR similarities later, I need some sleep now.

The gullwing doors are part of the 300SL/ 300SLR gullwing heratige thing -
But
1) They (probably) add weight = bad
2) They add complexity = bad
3) They look as though there isn't enough space to be able to get in/out = bad

So whilst they may look great, they aren't really neccessary.
(The SLR has gullwing doors to keep the hinge mechanism as far away from the hot side-exit exhausts as possible)

The aero kit.

You say it adds 90km/h to the stock SL

1) Removing the limiter from the "stock" SL will add about 70km/h alone
2) The engine has 225 bhp more than the SL600, and 106bhp more than the SL65. That accounts for the "missing" 20km/h.

Why do you need downforce when going slow?
Look at F1 cars.
The cars weigh about half a ton, and have 900bhp engines and can do just above 200mph on the fastest straights.
The wings actually slow the car down, due to drag, so why do they bother with the wings?
For the corners, the slowest part of the circuit.

The wings generate downforce through slow corners giveing you more grip, so you can go faster through the corner than you would be able to without the wings.

That is why short, twisty circuits like Monaco are high downforce, whilst circuits like the old Hockenhiem ring (before they fkd it up)- very long straights, few slow corners, had the cars running the lowest downforce possible.

foto_choppa
07-07-2004, 05:53 AM
i think its fuggly :p

Rijoh
07-07-2004, 06:42 AM
The red one looks pretty good, but the silver one is ugly. I prefer the Kleemann

Coventrysucks
07-07-2004, 07:34 AM
Im not the only one who thinks it is trying to rip off the SLR:

"From the front the fully tarted up SL is remarkably similar to the SLR that is currently the toast of motoring tinseltown. It has the same twin-wing configuration swooping dangerously close to the ground.

This not only sharpens the appearance of the front end, it helps keep this 1600kg beast planted at speed, which is no bad thing, but this is clearly more about the look and the optional bonnet spoiler – left off our test car - may be just a step too far.

Outrageous side skirts with integrated aluminium fins add to the road-hugging look and Hamann can even replace the hard-top with a weight saving carbon skin. A rear wing and integrated rear diffuser have also been developed as part of a new rear end panel.

And then there’s the crowning glory, as with the SLR the Opera Design machine has gullwing doors. After reinforcing the basic shell at the front end, especially around the front pillars, Opera fitted its trademark doors that are supported by gas-powered shock absorbers.

It’s not quite a mirror image of McLaren’s superstar, but it is close."

Wolf03
07-07-2004, 09:23 AM
So what? It looks good, it's powerful, I don't care if it's an SL with a body of an SLR. But I have to agree, the Kleemann SL looks much better. It looks like a supercar and ready to beat any car. :D
Also, for some reason, the doors on the Kleemann look lighter. :confused:

Sweeney921
07-07-2004, 10:53 AM
the doors on the Kleemann look lighter. :confused:
so how can something look lighter? that's like seeing sounds or hearing colors.