PDA

View Full Version : drift or drag?

foto_choppa
07-06-2004, 09:23 PM
drift or drag?

AKlingel
07-06-2004, 09:42 PM
For me it has got to be Drag, simply because I belive that is more focused on pure performance. Drift seems more.... almost... artistic? Drifting is not the fastest way around a track, therefore a different focus. I like pure performance myself.

digitalcraft
07-06-2004, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't say artistic, I'd say showing off. It is in the realm of ricemobiles.

TheOne
07-06-2004, 11:06 PM
i like drifting, doin it in a nissan 240sx is just kool, but i seem to like the speed, and beatin other ppl at the drag races, and i like puttin performance on the engine......so i go with drag.

P.S. drifting ain't always or most of the time for ricers as you may say digitalcraft , i've seen a lot of videos with mustangs and some other V8's doin drifting. it is kind of in their dreams though:).

Ferrari Tifosi
07-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Drag racing, why? Because as said before its a type of racing and not some sort of whatever the hell drifting is supposed to be. I don't see the appeal of drifting, it seems like its just a bunch of sliding around. Now I know its more complicated than that, but I just can't get into it.

eyebrows
07-07-2004, 02:34 AM
i'll go wiht drifting because everyone knows what a car can go like in the strieght but in the corners its the cars ability along with the drivers as well. not saying that dragging isn't skill full, it is to a point but drifting as it was called earlier is an artform.

Coventrysucks
07-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Drag does take a fair bit of skill, especially at top levels.
Drivers have to:
Have lightning fast reactions
Get 5000+ bhp off the line without lighting up the rears
Keep the rear tyres from lighting up at any other point down the track
Keep the car pointed in a straight line
Keep the car on its wheels, not the roof.
Change gear with split second timing
All in less than 5 seconds, being subjected to G forces far in excess of what an F1 driver goes through.

I have seen several people fail to do all of the above, sometimes with spectacular consequenses.

I think they aren't really comparable in terms of skill, as they require different skills to perform.

foto_choppa
07-07-2004, 05:34 AM
both take certain amounts of skill, holding a long drift is quite hard apparently. but dragging as coventry said- the skills that you use you are doing under extreme g-force.

both take skill.

Matra et Alpine
07-07-2004, 07:07 AM
I'd go drift.

Only because my perception of drag is the top guys use semi-auto drivetrains with mechanical changes. So NOT the difficulties of 20 years ago.
That might just be top-fuel tho, dont' know about the other stuff.

Drift has all the grip issues of drag PLUS steering and getting it deliberately sideways.

UK CARS
07-07-2004, 08:13 AM
I prefer a drag, but drifting takes an incredible amount of skill.
Keeping the car sideways , whilst keeping the revs to the point where your head lost its point of perspective ( if you loose control ) is something for the experienced.