PDA

View Full Version : london F1?

foto_choppa
07-07-2004, 05:38 AM
hey, on the news today i saw a segment of something about F1 cars in the middle of london, does anyone know anything more about this?

is there going to be a street track there?

-foto

fpv_gtho
07-07-2004, 05:41 AM
i know there was a parade there, a couple of the british drivers were going to drive their cars through the streets or something. thats all i know though

foto_choppa
07-07-2004, 06:06 AM
i know there was a parade there, a couple of the british drivers were going to drive their cars through the streets or something. thats all i know though

yea, i saw a few F1 cars doing donuts and it looked like a mini race track

Matra et Alpine
07-07-2004, 07:24 AM
The Mayor of London has an odd hate of vechilces - it costs you $8 EACH DAY to take a car into the city and yet he then hosts an F1 'show' and HAS been talking about the idea of an F1 circuit in London.

Personally if British Motorsport lets that happen they should ALL be hung.
Street circuits are NO place for F1 cars.
The UK has some of the best motor circtuits in the world and we should be spending any money to improve the hosting od major events at those.

Frankly they would have been better ( and cheaper ) arranging transport to BH for everyone who watned to see an F1 car than spending it on closing streets in London !!!

The only advantage London has are posh hotels for all the hangers-on !!!

fpv_gtho
07-07-2004, 07:28 AM
I take it Albert Park's far from your favourite track on the current calender then?

UK CARS
07-07-2004, 08:08 AM
info and pics here (http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/formula1londonjuly2004/)

Coventrysucks
07-07-2004, 08:12 AM
They had a few cars tooling round, but most people who were there seemed to think it was a crock.

They would not be able to host a race in London without great difficulty.

1) The closing of several major thoroughfairs in central London, combined with the large numbers of spectators, TV, and everything else that accompanies an F1 race, would reduce most of London to a complete standstill - its bad enough when there isn't an F1 race going on.

2) There aren't a great deal of places for spectators

3) There are many perfectly decent race tracks available, with the proper facilities, why not use them.

4) Ken Livingstone is an arse

Jordan and Williams would be hacked off as their factories are pretty much at Silverstone anyway.

:rolleyes:

UK CARS
07-07-2004, 11:13 AM
http://speed.supercars.net/Board?viewThread=y&fID=8&tID=123459

Found some pics, on Ucp's rival site!

cuntukimushroom
07-07-2004, 12:00 PM
is there going to be a street track there?
Man thats gonna be sweet :eek:

Matra et Alpine
07-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Man thats gonna be sweet :eek:
No it won't.

Not racing surface.
Not racing tarmac.
Not decent run-offs.
Not decent high-speed corners.
Not decent viewing.
Not decent safety.
NOT DECENT RACING.

:(

All it has is decent ( and VERY expensive ) hotels.
The idea portrayed that London could handle the crowd is sheer stupidity.

DavidC
07-08-2004, 09:18 AM
http://ukf1lad.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=videos&action=display&num=1089218359

Looks like it was quite an event.

DC

Matra et Alpine
07-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Posted Ecclestone's latest muscle-flexing over on the Silverstone thread.

Sounds like he's playing his usual political shenanigans.

The sooner F1 is shot of the little **** the better.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92101&postcount=8

Ciscoheat
07-15-2004, 06:13 PM
I just found this thread, and apologies for posting on it so late, but though I would give my opinion too.
I was unfortunate enough to have gone to this so called event around the streets of london. Oxford street on a normal saturday afternoon is preety unberable, so you can imagine what it was like with 1/4 of a million people there for the free show. People were clambering onto trucks and vans just to see the crappy video screens. It was a rediculous parade of sponsors cars and some "VIP's" being taken around the track. They interlaced this with constant ads for Vodafone. Add to this the amount of corpotrate stall set up and you get the picture. Neadless to say, I left after 45min before the F1 cars even came out. The experience opened my eyes to how prostituted F1 really is.

What I did see on tv later that day showed that F1 cars cannot cope with the rough London roads, the traffic islands, paited white lines etc.

Thats my impression, and again apologies for resurecting an old thread.