PDA

View Full Version : Who else loves the Lancia Flaminia Zagato SI ?

SCWP1
07-07-2004, 11:00 AM
The Zagato Sport, which became famous as the “the beautiful girl” and that was presented in 1958 at the Turin motor show, was the third of 6 variants of the Lancia Flaminia. Prior to this, Pininfarina had contributed to the Flaminia models with a 4-door saloon and Messrs. Touring from Milan, first with a coupe, followed by a roadster with a ‘supperleggera’ Touring body.

Perhaps the most striking feature of the Zagato Flaminia Sport is the “double bubble” - the double-arched roof and hallmark of Zagato. The extremely aerodynamic appearance is created by its rounded aluminium body, the front headlights sunken into the wings, the rear end that slopes away and the round rear lights.

The first 99 units of the successor to the Lancia Aurelia left the Zagato factory near Milan with glass-covered front headlights. From 1960 onwards, the coupe was fitted with the vertical style headlights of the normal Flaminia models.

The Flaminia received one last and final modification from Zagato in 1964 in the form of the Lancia Flaminia 2800 Super Sport.

Ian Baedeker

IMHO this Series I variant has one of the greatest closed sports car designs EVER, along with its superb build quality- although it is somewhat underpowered in comparison with some other Italian sports cars of the era.

I once spoke at length with a major Italian car collector, whose collection includes a Ferrari 275 GTB4, a Maserati 300, and a Lancia B24 Spyder. He contends that the Lancias were the best built Italian cars of the era, as they were overconstructed and made fewer concessions for weight saving than the firms who had more serious racing asperations did.

I'd take one in a heartbeat.

Any other Lancia fans here ?

stratos
07-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Any other Lancia fans here ?

i'm a lancia lover ... probably you have noticed that already :)

cuntukimushroom
07-07-2004, 11:48 AM
thats a beast of a machine :eek:

SCWP1
07-07-2004, 02:11 PM
A few more pics and a link.

Like many other sports cars, I think the deletion of the bumpers make this model look even better.

http://www.classicdriver.de/uk/magazine/3400.asp?id=10712 (http://)

Best regards,

Steven

Bravawatch
07-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Thimply to die for, thir.

Regards,

Brapha

henk4
07-07-2004, 05:28 PM
not high res, but from the pre-digital area, a Flaminia Sport and a 2C Cabrio

SCWP1
07-07-2004, 09:52 PM
The headlight covers cost a small fortune, so you often see 'covered headlight' Series I cars without their distinctive plexi covers.

A damn shame - although this particular car is amazing, with or without covers.

Best regards,

Steven

DasModell
07-08-2004, 03:32 AM
he he . i love most Lancia's . and this is one of the best ones :)

DarkPhenix
07-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Lancia Flaminia Zagato

DarkPhenix
07-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Lancia Flaminia Zagato #2

DarkPhenix
07-08-2004, 04:01 AM
Lancia Flaminia Zagato #3

whiteballz
07-08-2004, 04:13 AM
beautiful car.

DarkPhenix
07-08-2004, 04:16 AM
Lancia Flaminia Zagato #4

Ferrari Tifosi
07-08-2004, 09:02 PM
An absolutely beautiful car. Were there any models that hade Zagato's famous double bubble design?

henk4
07-09-2004, 04:50 AM
An absolutely beautiful car. Were there any models that hade Zagato's famous double bubble design?

This one had, contrary to the later and horrible Flavia Zagato Coupe

SCWP1
07-09-2004, 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the great pics, everyone !

The Flamina Zagatos did have the Double Bubble, but it is somewhat flat on top, and not nearly as pronounced as on the Abarth Zagato pictured here.

Best regards,

Steven

rynoshark
10-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Anyone know of any early Series I Flaminia Zagato's for sale? I've recently become very interested in tracking one down.

LotusLocost
10-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Anyone know of any early Series I Flaminia Zagato's for sale? I've recently become very interested in tracking one down.

1965 Lancia Flaminia Zagato Sport for sale: Anamera (http://www.anamera.com/en/detail/car/14335/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_aname)rashowroom_pi1%5Bpointer%5D=-2&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BFILTER%5D%5Bmake%5D=22&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BMODE%5D=make&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BRET%5D=63 (http://www.anamera.com/en/detail/car/14335/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5Bpointer%5D=-2&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BFILTER%5D%5Bmake%5D=22&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BMODE%5D=make&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BRET%5D=63)

Don't know if that is the right car (series 1) you are looking for but..

elentinos
10-20-2007, 02:53 AM
That's a Supersport (series 3). The least desirable Flaminia Zagato (if there is such a thing :) )

fff register, Flaminia, Lancia Club Nederland (http://www.lancia-club.nl/fffreg/flam/index.htm)

The last three pictures on this page show the three versions.

henk4
10-20-2007, 03:30 AM
That's a Supersport (series 3). The least desirable Flaminia Zagato (if there is such a thing :) )

fff register, Flaminia, Lancia Club Nederland (http://www.lancia-club.nl/fffreg/flam/index.htm)

The last three pictures on this page show the three versions.

haven't been here for a while, in the meantime checked my pics, many S2 and S3 cars, but only one S1. Anybody interested in more S2 and S3 pictures?

I think it was at Interclassics in Maastricht in 2005.

henk4
10-20-2007, 03:36 AM
and then there is of course this one....

elentinos
10-20-2007, 05:30 AM
The Loraymo is very nice, but based on the Aurelia, not the Flaminia. Btw, do you have any pictures of the Aurelia Zagato? I found some old ones, but recent pics are hard to find. Aren't there any survivors left?

henk4
10-20-2007, 05:43 AM
The Loraymo is very nice, but based on the Aurelia, not the Flaminia. Btw, do you have any pictures of the Aurelia Zagato? I found some old ones, but recent pics are hard to find. Aren't there any survivors left?

are you sure about the Loraymo, It dates from 1960...
anyway, I have all sorts of Aurelia special body pics, but not a Zagato. How many were made?

elentinos
10-20-2007, 06:00 AM
Here's a model impression of the Aurelia Zagato. I don't know how many were made.

ModelCar Lancia Aurelia B20 Zagato von Tecnomodel bei ModelCar.de (http://www.modelcar.de/news/20021030021948.shtml)

Below is the only picture i have of it... In this pic it looks very similar to the Fiat 8V and Alfa 1900 Zagato models of the same period.

henk4
10-20-2007, 06:16 AM
Well, I really don't know whether any has survived...never seen one, and the absence of any pics on the web makes me fear the worst.

elentinos
10-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I did some research on the net about the Loraymo. It is a Flaminia-based car. I always thougt it was Aurelia-based... You were right Henk.

henk4
10-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I did some research on the net about the Loraymo. It is a Flaminia-based car. I always thougt it was Aurelia-based... You were right Henk.

OK, I saw the car earlier this year at Retromobile, and I think the plate said Flaminia, but I did not take a shot of it, so you got me doubting...

go.pawel
10-24-2007, 06:01 AM

Quite the opposite. :) Actually, the Supersport is the most desirable Flaminia Zagato.It's the "normal" Sport series 3 that is less desired than the first two series. When it comes to prices, the 1st and 2nd generation Flaminias Sport Zagato sell at 100-120,000 EUR, the 3rd gen. is some 15,000 cheaper and the Supersport easily gets 130-150,000.

Of course I love Lancias. It's easily ne of my most favourite marques. Aurelia B24 Spider, Fulvia Zagato, Fulvia Rallye, Stratos, Beta Montecarlo, Delta S4, Delta HF Integrale, 037, Beta Spider/Coupe/HPE, LC1/LC2, Flaminia Pininfarina Coupe/Touring GT/Touring Cabrio, D24 - all those wonderful cars make me wish Lancia produced something like this today. Unfortunately, it seems that Fiat doesn't have a concept for Lancia's future :( It's like with Saab in GM - they're just running circles.

elentinos
10-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Interesting, i didn't know there was a 3 series Sport. Can you tell me the difference between a 3 series Sport and a Supersport? I thought that all 3 series cars (with the kammtail) weren named Supersport...

go.pawel
10-25-2007, 12:22 AM
I guess we're just using different taxonomy. This is the way I see it:

Flaminia Sport Zagato (1959-1961) - Mk1
Flaminia Sport Zagato 3C 2,5 (1961-1963) - Mk2
Flaminia Sport Zagato 3C 2,8 (1963-1967) - Mk3
Flaminia Supersport Zagato (1964-1967)

You're probably considering both the 2,5 and 2,8 as Mk2 and the Supersport as Mk3.

Anyway, the Supersport is the most sought after and the most expensive Flaminia Zagato. Only 150 were built.

Flaminiasport
09-04-2008, 03:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

Interesting topic! I LOVE all the Flaminia's! If I had to choose one I'd go for the very very very first series Flaminia Sport, which ressembles a lot to the Appia Sport.

If you study the several Zagato fronts, you'll see they have a few flaws... like those way too big foglights!!! Zagato squeezed them between the headlight and front bumper, but there's just not enough space! This was corrected on the SS, the latest version.

My ideal Sport would be a S1 with a Kamm tail design. I'm sure there must be some around as in the event of an accident, it was often "modernised" or upgraded with the lastest body design.

Another "flaw" (it's a big word) is the poverty that oozes from the Zagato's interior and dashboard... which are all a bit dull compared to the one in the sedan (see below) and more generally the "horrible" build quality... which lasted 2 or 3 years max before it fell apart. Did you know the sills were lowered with a sledge hammer? And that corrosion preventors were unexistant? And that steel tubing was corroding nicely next to the alloy panels? etc etc....

If I had the chance of owning one, I'd do the following:

- mount lightweight leather Zagato seats which look much better than the original seats which offer no lateral support
- replace those silly foglights with smaller items (those from the Touring Flaminia)
- mount a nice double tip Ansa exhaust for a sporty touch and sound
- and enjoying it every minute!!!

Here's the pre-series Sport... before it had those horrible foglights and wider headlights that ruined it all! This design might not be very efficient maybe, but hey, what do we care! If I'd need an "efficient" car I wouldn't look at these ones!

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll364/Flaminiasupersport/ALanciaFlaminiaZagatoS102.jpg

And here where they missed the plot completely and ruined the front with foglights and redesigned "flatter" headlights...

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll364/Flaminiasupersport/661px-Lancia_flaminia_sport.jpg

Of course the main interst of the Flaminia (and the Aurelia), is the fact that these were the first cars that combined fast travelling with an unequalled ease of use. Maserati's and Ferrari's were more race cars and couldn't cope with as many travel conditions as the Lancia. The handling of these "race cars" was harsh and felt more like a truck than an automobile. That's why the "non-initiated" say Lancia's are feminine cars... It's completely wrong of course, but let them think that way... we know it's because they're so well made! In the 60's... the Flaminia was THE car to have!

Lancia has always been a marque for the "connaisseur" who was attracted by the technical superiority combined to a discreet image. That's why bright colours are a misfit and many are grey, silver, blue or white. Even the owners, as discreet as their cars, were seldom seen in bright red trousers under a yellow coat looking at the world through silly green glasses! It was just "not done".

But all this Lancia dream (or nightmare for the company's CEO) ended when Fiat bought Lancia in 1969... since that date, the Lancia star died and the Upmarket Fiat took its place... That's why, IMHO, every "Lancia" produced after that date is a Fiat and should be considered as one!

Flaminiasport
09-04-2008, 03:36 AM
And this is the most beautiful and classy dashboard.. seen in a Flaminia Sedan.

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll364/Flaminiasupersport/aAnvers-Zolder200314.jpg

And the lesser Zagato version...

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll364/Flaminiasupersport/ALanciaFlaminiaZagatoS204.jpg

Ferrer
09-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Answering the original question, I do.

It's sad to see this magnificent automobiles and then look at current Lancias...

Flaminiasport
09-04-2008, 05:07 AM
Answering the original question, I do.

It's sad to see this magnificent automobiles and then look at current Lancias...

I couldn't agree more!

Flaminiasport
09-08-2008, 06:45 AM
I've just found the ULTIMATE Flaminia Zagato :rolleyes:! It has been restored in America and it's 100%! This is how a Zagato should look, needless to say this standard doesn't come cheap!

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll364/Flaminiasupersport/BARRINGTON1.jpg

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll364/Flaminiasupersport/BARRINGTON.jpg

And here's one with a modified nose... It looks very clean but I'm missing something. Maybe the absence of the front bumper... In general I hate the "racing look" which is mostly motivated by the price.... of original parts!

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll364/Flaminiasupersport/FlaminiaSportSpeciale.jpg

And here's another one where the foglight's chrome rings (it's inox in fact... a small detail but a world of difference...) upside down. I've seen this many times... it looks soooooo silly! :mad: The tires are not of the correct type as are the rims. The main advantage of these alloy rims is the possibility to mount modern size tires, but it lacks the clean look of the original "cream coloured" rims and probably the owner doesn't know that the whole front suspension arrangement was made especially, as on the Flavia, for the Michelin "X" tire. The "nose" of the S2 is very classy!

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll364/Flaminiasupersport/Lancia_Flaminia_Sport_Zagato_1.jpg

Flaminiasport
09-08-2008, 06:55 AM
In conclusion one might say that each Sport should be considered. They're all handmade and different.... but they're all MAGNIFICENT!

Motorace
09-29-2008, 08:34 PM
There once was a dark-silver Lancia Flaminia Sport Coupe (w/ the double bubble roof & a V-6) parked (abandoned) outdoors on a concrete slab under a Mango tree in the backyard of a house in Miami, Fla back in early 1973. The house was just east of the newly built Florida International University. I drove by it every day and dreamed of acquiring/restoring it; but as a student, I had no money at the time. One day I stopped to inquire about it and a Cuban lady said it was her son's who wasn't home. She let me look under the hood and inside it. It was still restorable but neither the sun, rain, nor the tree were doing it much good outdoors as it had accumulated a heavy case of black mango leaf-scale.

About five years later, after I was employed as an engineer, I returned to Miami and found the house with the slab, but no car. The house had changed owners and no one knew anything about the unusual car.

I'm writing this in the hopes that someone might know who has the car now - (if it survived). If memory serves correctly, it was one of the earlier versions with glass over the headlights.

Kitdy
09-29-2008, 10:26 PM
The third pic in post #35 looks very similar to a 250 GT.