PDA

View Full Version : Completely new to this...help?

Distress
07-08-2004, 01:46 PM
I've been looking around in this board, and these "kits", what exactly are they. I mean I know what they are, but are these the same kits you can get at lets say ToysRus?

I want to start collecting models, either building them or buying detailed scalled models. This isn't "to" expensive is it; how diffucult, and what not. One thing I'm worried about is painting them, just affraid it won't "look right", is it hard at first to start painting?

Sorry, complete new to this... :confused:

byronleehk
07-08-2004, 02:00 PM
I won't want to go to Toys'R'us because their selection is somewhat limited.

Do a online search for 'diecast' or 'plastic model' kit and you'll get thousands of returns.

Price, skill levels all depends on different manufacturers, scales etc. Usually the bigger the scale, the more details (thus more parts) and more expensive.

Do a search on this web site (UCP) and you'll get more answers. :)

Niko_Fx
07-08-2004, 02:00 PM
I don't know much about it either.

I belive the price of a kit is around US $20 + all the materials such as glue, paint, etc.

Matra et Alpine gave me a site where I could buy a good one.. But I cannot seem to find it. I'll keep trying though :)

EDIT: Look up for "Tamiya Kits" I belive those are very good.

byronleehk
07-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Most of the Japanese manufacturers have decent kits (Tamiya, Hasegawa, Gunze Sangyo, Fujimi, Aoshima etc) but prices usually are higher (imports) :(

Revell of Germany has some decent ones but then again prices are high.

Airfix, Heller offers kits too but usually needs a lot of work to make it look good.

As for diecast models, I don't know much about them. :p

Matra et Alpine
07-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Matra et Alpine gave me a site where I could buy a good one.. But I cannot seem to find it. I'll keep trying though :)

EDIT: Look up for "Tamiya Kits" I belive those are very good.
There are lots of local hobby shops, look in your yellow-pages ( or equivalent ). There a good place to start.
For on-line stores for wider choice usually, I've had good dealings with www.hlj.com - hobbylink Japan.
There are others equally as good. The search niko suggested will give you lots of options. It's not only Tamiya who make good kits :)
Local modellers clbs exist as well, tell us where you are and we can maybe guide you to onw.
It helps to meet with experienced modellors when starting out.
They're also good incentive to learn how to do REALLY good jobs !!

Esperante
08-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Here's my advice-don't buy the American models, such as Revell. They don't usually fit together as well as Japanese. Best first model to do would be a Tamiya kit with no engine and simple chassis, that way your wheels have less of a chance of tilting, which always looks horrible. Buy Tamiya paints, too. They come out glossy and are the easiest to use. After a while you'll want to upgrade to an airbrush, but that's only if you get serious with it. Go to a hobby specialty store, they always have best selections (bsides online). They should have everything you need to get started. Getting started is the most expensive thing to do, buying paints, parts, cars, brushes, but after that you can reuse them, so it gets cheaper. For the most part, avoid older model kits, the decals usually have grime on them. that's all the advice I can give you now.