PDA

View Full Version : F1 Round 11 : Silverstone - UK

Matra et Alpine
07-09-2004, 04:33 AM
First practise underway, live timing at http://www.formula1.com/race/livetiming/popup/724.html

DC putting it round 1/2 second faster than Raikonnen, but this is the day of whacky fuel loads :)

BTW, DC has seemingly been offered the test drive at McLaren.
Personally I think he'd be a fool to do that.
Ron has taken advantage of DC's development skills to produce a car for the #1 driver needs. Seldom has a car been setup the way HE wanted it. Hopefully another team needing a good #1 driver who can develop car AND a young #2 driver will buy his services :)

Weather in the UK looks like it could be a big factor - we're going through a VERY wet summer :(

whiteballz
07-09-2004, 04:35 AM
we could use some more water over here thanks, and since when isnt the UK wet or miserable? ive never seen a pic thats light skied or bright from the UK...

Matra et Alpine
07-09-2004, 04:41 AM
we could use some more water over here thanks, and since when isnt the UK wet or miserable? ive never seen a pic thats light skied or bright from the UK...
especially the one's I've been posting ( and the upcoming Carrera Caledonia rally pics will be the same :( )
The big problem with the F1 is that if the parking becomes a swamp again and lots of cars bogged down and stuck then Bernie will throw his dummy and try to take the GP away from the UK.

henk4
07-09-2004, 05:40 AM
first blood, two red cars in front.

fpv_gtho
07-09-2004, 05:52 AM
this would really be a bugger of a round for Webber to get caught up in the utrition. he was onto a good thing with the R5 at Mangy Cours but the low utrition stopped him getting any points

Ferrari Tifosi
07-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Raikkonen fastest today, with Fisichella second and M. Schumacher third. DC was forth fastest. Hopefully McLaren can keep this pace and maybe challenge Ferrari for a win, or challenge Renault or BAR for a podium sport.

DarkPhenix
07-09-2004, 08:39 AM
"My British Grand Prix weekend kicked off a bit earlier with the Regent Street parade on Tuesday evening. I was stunned by the huge numbers of people who turned up. This level of enthusiasm really made the occasion special and this type of event is ideal to bring the fans closer to the action. We now head to Silverstone for the British Grand Prix, which holds special memories for me, after I led last year's race in rather bizarre circumstances. I do not expect a repeat this year, but Silverstone is my absolute favourite circuit and I always enjoy racing there. We had a productive test there in June, but I am reluctant to make predictions, so I prefer to wait and see what happens this weekend."

Race starting
13:00 (local time)

Official Website
www.silverstone-circuit.co.uk

Circuit length
5.141 km

No. of laps

Race length
308.355 km

Lap record
1:22.236 (R.Barrichello)

Team Talk

Cristiano da Matta (Race Driver, Car 16) on Regent Street and Silverstone

"My British Grand Prix weekend kicked off a bit earlier with the Regent Street parade on Tuesday evening. I was stunned by the huge numbers of people who turned up. This level of enthusiasm really made the occasion special and this type of event is ideal to bring the fans closer to the action. We now head to Silverstone for the British Grand Prix, which holds special memories for me, after I led last year's race in rather bizarre circumstances. I do not expect a repeat this year, but Silverstone is my absolute favourite circuit and I always enjoy racing there. We had a productive test there in June, but I am reluctant to make predictions, so I prefer to wait and see what happens this weekend."

Olivier Panis (Race Driver, Car 17) on Silverstone

"Silverstone is near the top of my list of favourite circuits and I always enjoy racing there. Unfortunately, the weather is rarely in our favour normally with some rain over the weekend. Nevertheless, we put in our full efforts whether wet or dry. After the huge disappointment of Magny-Cours, we will be looking to get back in the midfield fight, but we have to make sure that our performance is consistent throughout the whole weekend right to the chequered flag."

Around Silverstone with Ricardo Zonta (Third Driver, Car 38)

"Silverstone is very enjoyable to drive and quite technical from both a driving and engineering perspective. It is a very fast circuit, starting immediately with the seventh gear start-finish straight and sixth-gear Copse corner. Then we have a series of downshifting through Becketts down to fourth gear before making our way back up to seventh for the ultra quick Hangar Straight. Through Stowe, it is important to keep up momentum because it is back up to sixth at Club followed by a relatively hard braking down to second. Back up to seventh yet again, then through Abbey and on the Bridge, which we take more or less flat. As the lap comes to an end, we have Brooklands, which is comparatively slow compared to the rest of the track, but coming to Luffield, where we need a smooth exit to make our way back up to seventh for the next lap."

Tsutomu Tomita (Team Principal) on Silverstone

"Last year, we had a very unusual situation which resulted in Toyota leading the British Grand Prix for one-third of the race, and whilst it was unrepresentative of our performance level, we showed that when we are in the lead, we are quite capable of defending it. At the French Grand Prix last week, we were unable to show our true competitiveness and the end results were very disappointing. We will again put in our full efforts to getting the most out of our TF104 in Silverstone before we start the development programme with our updated car, which is still scheduled for Hockenheim."

Mike Gascoyne (Technical Director Chassis) on Silverstone

"Silverstone is an exciting race track for F1 cars with several high speed corners. The set-up we will adopt will be similar to that of Barcelona. It is another maximum downforce track, which we know is not a positive trait of our TF104. In qualifying, I think we have demonstrated a reasonably strong performance, but at this type of circuits we generally struggle with race pace. We are working flat out to produce new parts for the updated car which will debut in Hockenheim, so we are not bringing any major new parts to Silverstone. The British Grand Prix will be the last race we run this specification of TF104, but we must remember that the car which will run in Hockenheim is merely the start of a process, rather than an end of the 2004 development process. But first we have to turn our complete attention to Silverstone, where we have to ensure our excellent reliability rate is maintained and to see if we can pick up any points on Sunday afternoon."

Stats Appeal

- Cristiano da Matta completed 274 laps of Silverstone at a three-day test in June
- Panasonic Toyota Racing led the British Grand Prix for 17 laps in 2003
- Cristiano da Matta achieved his first ever P1 in F1 at last weekend's French Grand Prix
- Toyota is currently 7th in the Constructors' Championship with 8 points
- Panis and Da Matta are 13th and 14th in the Drivers' Championship with 5 and 3 points respectively
- The three TF104s have completed 14,147km in race weekends so far this season
- The three drivers have totalled 2894 laps in the ten races of the year so far (Panis 1258, Da Matta 1119, Zonta 517)

Race Schedule

09 July , 2004
11:00 - 12:00 Practice Session 1
14:00 - 15:00 Practice Session 2

10 July , 2004
09:00 - 09:45 Practice Session 3
10:15 - 11:00 Practice Session 4
13:00 - Qualifying 1
14:00 - Qualifying 2

11 July , 2004
13:00 - Race

Matra et Alpine
07-09-2004, 09:04 AM
After the comments at the London F1 event about London maybe hosting a race, a number of comments were raised by the British racing fraternity regarding the way he "negotiaites" ( ie do it Bernie-way or NO way :) )

Bernie's respose to this was ....

"I feel I must reply to Sir Jackie Stewart’s latest statement concerning what he has decided to call my latest threats.

"First of all, I have never threatened either Sir Jackie or the BRDC – I have merely stated facts.

"On this occasion he would seem to be referring to the deadline by which we require a promoter to make a commitment for a Formula One event at Silverstone in 2005. Ordinarily, FOA as the commercial rightsholder would have proposed to the FIA a calendar of races for the 2005 FIA Formula One World Championship season by June of this year, which means that binding contracts with all promoters should be in place by now.

"This year, as we do not yet have an agreement with anybody to stage a British Grand Prix, in order to help the BRDC, I have asked the FIA to wait until its World Motor Sport Council meets in October 2004 when I will make our calendar proposal. If the BRDC and / or Sir Jackie carry out what they have said they can do, a Formula One event will take place at Silverstone in 2005.

"As for Sir Jackie's remarks about the financial viability of staging a Formula One event in London, I am quite sure if this were to happen, the promoter would not need any advice from Sir Jackie. He should look carefully into the cost of staging an event at Silverstone and not worry about how other events are financed. I am quite sure that if the British Government cannot put any finance into Silverstone, they would adopt the same policy for other events."

Personally I hope JYS stands up to Bernie the way he led the drivers in the 70s and finally get rid of the little wisted dwarf !!! Otherwise this could be the last UK F1 on a real race circuit :(

henk4
07-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Personally I hope JYS stands up to Bernie the way he led the drivers in the 70s and finally get rid of the little wisted dwarf !!! Otherwise this could be the last UK F1 on a real race circuit :(

Three cheers to that!, but what about the full BH circuit? (Closer to London anyway)

Matra et Alpine
07-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Three cheers to that!, but what about the full BH circuit? (Closer to London anyway)
Poor spectator parking and only one grandstand.
Silverstone taking the GP for so many years prevented BH upgrading due to lack of funds.
I liked the days when the British GP switched each year between the 2 tracks.
The big problem Bernie has is that the motor bike races attract more spectators than the F1 circus achieves. He just hasn't relaised the reason is motorbikes is still about the rides, the bikes, the spectators and the RACE. Sponsors aren't #1. And long may it stay like that !!!!!

henk4
07-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Poor spectator parking and only one grandstand.
Silverstone taking the GP for so many years prevented BH upgrading due to lack of funds.
I liked the days when the British GP switched each year between the 2 tracks.
The big problem Bernie has is that the motor bike races attract more spectators than the F1 circus achieves. He just hasn't relaised the reason is motorbikes is still about the rides, the bikes, the spectators and the RACE. Sponsors aren't #1. And long may it stay like that !!!!!

I know SS, but never been to BH, so you might be right. Moto GP in Holland is the biggest annual single day sport event, may BE stay away from that.

Matra et Alpine
07-09-2004, 02:44 PM
I know SS, but never been to BH, so you might be right. Moto GP in Holland is the biggest annual single day sport event, may BE stay away from that.
It was either MotoGP or WSB he tried to muscle his way in on and the door was soundly slammed in his face. Was a few years back :)

henk4
07-09-2004, 02:50 PM
what's his grip on WRC?

Ferrari Tifosi
07-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Weather Report says it might rain for qualifying, but Sunday will be cloudy and shouldn't rain, with a chance of a random idiot in a kilt running around on the track.

henk4
07-10-2004, 04:27 AM
with a chance of a random idiot in a kilt running around on the track.

Could be Bernie, trying to impersonate Sir Jackie S. :)

Homem de Gelo
07-10-2004, 11:58 AM
What an amazing lap by Raikkonen, and it's so good to see McLaren running strong again.

Now if only somehow things could happen so Schumacher doesn't win tomorrow... Who knows? He's starting from the dirty side with Trulli behind him. Hopefully Trulli will jump to 3rd at the start, behind Raikkonen and Button and then he'll hold the Ferraris while Raikkonen and Button run away opening an imense gap after 10 laps..

Ferrari Tifosi
07-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Yes, it is good to see Raikkonen and McLaren on pole, it seems that the testing in Silverstone about a month ago paid off. However, I think Raikkonen is probably carrying less fuel than the others, he drove through his cooling lap very slowly to conserve fuel. But, hey, I could be wrong and that could have a just been a very good lap. After all Raikkonen did set fast lap in 3 out of the 4 practice sessions.

fpv_gtho
07-10-2004, 08:17 PM
yeah i think Raikkonens pace is genuine and its great to see McLaren back at the front with the new car, but i still think Schumacher should be closely watched. After Magny Cours the teams will probably be trying to come up with a bullet proof strategy

stratos
07-11-2004, 06:44 AM
1. shumi
2. kimi raikonen
3. rubens barrichello

DarkPhenix
07-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Panasonic Toyota Racing drivers Cristiano da Matta and Olivier Panis will start the British Grand Prix, round 11 of this year's Formula 1 World Championship, from 12th and 19th positions on the Silverstone grid respectively. Panis actually qualified 12th fastest overall but was adjudged to have impeded Sauber driver Felipe Massa's qualifying lap. The outcome is that the FIA stewards decided to delete the Frenchman's qualifying lap. He will still start ahead of the Sauber of Giancarlo Fisichella after the Italian failed to set a lap time in the second qualifying session.

Panis was adjudged to have breached article 120 of the FIA F1 sporting regulations as he came slowly back to the pits after setting his time.

"I am obviously very disappointed and upset that my time in qualifying was cancelled. I pushed very hard and did the best that I could with the car. With the strategy we have in place for tomorrow, I think we performed well. A mistake in communication from the team meant that I only saw Massa late, but I immediately moved over and offline. I am sorry for the Sauber team because it was not intentional and I did all I could not to impede his lap. I am very annoyed at the decision from the stewards. Tomorrow's race will now be very hard, but I will push all the way as I always do."

Entirely separately and unrelated, Silverstone's pre-qualifying session, which determines the order that the cars run for the all-important qualifying lap, saw a bizarre situation, with a number of drivers purposely going slowly in order to be among the first to run in the qualifying period, when rain was widely expected. Some even ran wide and spun deliberately, in case they were adjudged to have infringed article 151c of the international sporting code, which outlaws "any act prejudicial to the interests of motor sport generally."

At the end of one of the season's most confusing qualifying periods, Da Matta said: "In the final analysis everyone got their qualifying laps in without interruption from any rain and we were able to make the best of a lot of hard work we did analysing the data after the first day's free practice. The car felt a lot better but the competition is stiff and I think we are in for another tough race tomorrow. On the plus side, we can look forward to the debut of our revised car at Hockenheim."

As Da Matta pointed out, the anticipated rain held off and it was Kimi Raikkonen (1m18.233s) who claimed pole position for West McLaren Mercedes, his and the team's first since the US Grand Prix last year. Rubens Barrichello (1m18.305s) was second quickest for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, ahead of home hero Jenson Button (1m18.580s), who was last out and had a nail-biting time waiting to see if he was going to get a lap on a dry track. Nine-time 2004 winner Michael Schumacher (1m18.710s) was fourth quickest in the second Ferrari, ahead of Jarno Trulli (1m18.715s) and Mild Seven Renault team mate Fernando Alonso (1m18.811s), who will start 10 places further back on the grid after needing an engine change following Saturday morning free practice.

Mike Gascoyne summed up a bizarre qualifying day: "The team has to apologise to Olivier for not ensuring that he was fully informed of Massa's position on the track, however he immediately moved offline and having reviewed the evidence in the stewards meeting we were sure that Massa could take the racing line and not be held up in any way. We are therefore very disappointed in the stewards' decision to disallow Olivier's time and we feel that the penalty is both too harsh and undeserved. I personally think this is true given what happened in the first qualifying session where teams clearly deceived the public by not ensuring their drivers pushed to the limit. I hope the crowd was entertained by the second qualifying session because the first one was a disgrace in front the huge numbers of people who have turned up at Silverstone today. It is unbelievable that the fans are let down in such a way and then such a penalty was given to one of the few drivers who pushed hard and entertained the crowds in both qualifying sessions. I only hope Olivier can have a good race and score points tomorrow to make up for what was an extremely disappointing decision."

Cristiano da Matta (Car 16, Chassis TF104/04)

Pre-Qualifying: 8th
Lap Time: 1m22.507s (+3.635s)
Qualifying: 14th
Lap Time: 1m20.545s (+2.312s)
Grid Position: 12th

"I think we should be quite content with the results of my qualifying today. The pace we had this afternoon is more or less what we have had all weekend. I had a bit more understeer and struggled more on the slower speed parts of the track, but on the other hand, the car handled better on the high speed compared to this morning's practice. The weather in Britain is very changeable and unpredictable, but I hope it stays dry for the race. If we have some luck, I think we could pick up a couple of points."

Olivier Panis (Car 17, Chassis TF104/03)

Pre-Qualifying: 3rd
Lap Time: 1m19.697s (+0.825s)
Qualifying: 12th
Lap Time: 1m20.335s (+2.102s)
Grid Position: 19th

"I am obviously very disappointed and upset that my time in qualifying was cancelled. I pushed very hard and did the best that I could with the car. With the strategy we have in place for tomorrow, I think we performed well. A mistake in communication from the team meant that I only saw Massa late, but I immediately moved over and offline. I am sorry for the Sauber team because it was not intentional and I did all I could not to impede his lap. I am very annoyed at the decision from the stewards. Tomorrow's race will now be very hard, but I will push all the way as I always do."

Mike Gascoyne - Technical Director Chassis

"The team has to apologise to Olivier for not ensuring that he was fully informed of Massa's position on the track, however he immediately moved offline and having reviewed the evidence in the stewards meeting we were sure that Massa could take the racing line and not be held up in any way. We are therefore very disappointed in the stewards' decision to disallow Olivier's time and we feel that the penalty is both too harsh and undeserved. I personally think this is true given what happened in the first qualifying session where teams clearly deceived the public by not ensuring their drivers pushed to the limit. I hope the crowd was entertained by the second qualifying session because the first one was a disgrace in front the huge numbers of people who have turned up at Silverstone today. It is unbelievable that the fans are let down in such a way and then such a penalty was given to one of the few drivers who pushed hard and entertained the crowds in both qualifying sessions. I only hope Olivier can have a good race and score points tomorrow to make up for what was an extremely disappointing decision."

Tsutomu Tomita - Team Principal

"On behalf of all the Panasonic Toyota Racing team, I would like to express our sorrow to learn of the recent and unexpected death of John Walton. We offer our condolences and sincere sympathy to the entire Minardi team and John's family at this traumatic time."

Grand Prix of Great Britain - Qualifying 1

Pos. Driver Team Time Gap Laps Speed
1 J. Button Lucky Strike BAR Honda 1:18.872 3 234.653
2 F. Massa Sauber Petronas 1:19.317 0.445 3 233.337
3 O. Panis Panasonic Toyota Racing 1:19.697 0.825 3 232.224
4 G. Pantano Jordan Ford 1:21.350 2.478 3 227.505
5 J. Trulli Mild Seven Renault F1 Team 1:21.496 2.624 3 227.098
6 K. Raikkonen West McLaren Mercedes 1:21.639 2.767 3 226.700
7 F. Alonso Mild Seven Renault F1 Team 1:21.923 3.051 3 225.914
8 C. da Matta Panasonic Toyota Racing 1:22.507 3.635 3 224.315
9 G. Bruni Wilux Minardi Cosworth 1:22.529 3.657 3 224.255
10 Z. Baumgartner Wilux Minardi Cosworth 1:23.116 4.244 3 222.671
11 D. Coulthard West McLaren Mercedes 1:23.521 4.649 3 221.592
12 R. Barrichello Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro 1:24.817 5.945 3 218.206
13 T. Sato Lucky Strike BAR Honda 1:28.910 10.038 3 208.161
14 M. Schumacher Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro 1:30.293 11.421 3 204.972
15 J. Montoya BMW WilliamsF1 Team 1:34.386 15.514 3 196.084
16 M. Gene BMW WilliamsF1 Team 1:34.981 16.109 3 194.855
17 M. Webber Jaguar Racing 1:35.853 16.981 3 193.083
18 C. Klien Jaguar Racing 1:38.648 19.776 3 187.612
19 G. Fisichella Sauber Petronas 2
20 N. Heidfeld Jordan Ford 2

Grand Prix of Great Britain - Qualifying 2

Pos. Driver Team Time Gap Laps kph
1 K. Raikkonen West McLaren Mercedes 1:18.233 3 236.570
2 R. Barrichello Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro 1:18.305 0.072 3 236.352
3 J. Button Lucky Strike BAR Honda 1:13.995 0.347 3 250.119
4 M. Schumacher Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro 1:18.710 0.477 3 235.136
5 J. Trulli Mild Seven Renault F1 Team 1:18.715 0.482 3 235.121
6 F. Alonso Mild Seven Renault F1 Team 1:18.811 0.578 3 234.835
7 D. Coulthard West McLaren Mercedes 1:19.148 0.915 3 233.835
8 J. Montoya BMW WilliamsF1 Team 1:19.378 1.145 3 233.157
9 T. Sato Lucky Strike BAR Honda 1:19.688 1.455 3 232.250
10 M. Webber Jaguar Racing 1:20.004 1.771 3 231.333
11 F. Massa Sauber Petronas 1:20.202 1.969 3 230.762
12 O. Panis Panasonic Toyota Racing 1:20.335 2.102 3 230.380
13 M. Gene BMW WilliamsF1 Team 1:20.335 2.102 3 230.380
14 C. da Matta Panasonic Toyota Racing 1:20.545 2.312 3 229.779
15 C. Klien Jaguar Racing 1:21.559 3.326 3 226.922
16 G. Pantano Jordan Ford 1:22.458 4.225 3 224.448
17 N. Heidfeld Jordan Ford 1:22.677 4.444 3 223.854
18 G. Bruni Wilux Minardi Cosworth 1:23.437 5.204 3 221.815
19 Z. Baumgartner Wilux Minardi Cosworth 1:24.117 5.884 3 220.022
20 G. Fisichella Sauber Petronas no time

DarkPhenix
07-11-2004, 06:51 AM
For me the result will be:

1 K. Raikkonen
2 R. Barrichello
3 J. Button

Coventrysucks
07-11-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm just watching the highlights now.

Very impressive performance from McLaren, faster than Williams and BAR.
They are staying on at Silverstone to test some more new parts, so they might be even faster at Hockenheim.

I think that McLaren were slightly surprised by their performance this weekend.
From what a few team bods were saying Saturday, they were seeming to think that if they were lucky they might have grabbed a podium position, I really don't think they expected to be challenging for the lead.

David Coulthard threatening to let down the tyres on Ruben's motorhome
Kimi being "enthusiastic" about getting his first pole of the season
Ron, it didn't dare rain whilst he was there, being quietly confident about the GP

:)

Homem de Gelo
07-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Like I said in the Magny-Cours thread. No matter what happens, Ferrari and Schumacher just can't lose. They are just too good.

At least Raikkonen drove a great race and now it seems McLaren is back on track.

fpv_gtho
07-11-2004, 08:44 PM
It was a great battle between Alonso and Webber in the middle bit there, but i dunno if you'd outwrightly say Webber was holding Alonso up. Down the straights, Alonso obviously had more speed, but through the more twistier bits, Webber seemed to always be able to pull a slight gap on him, just for it to be lost on the straights again.

Ferrari Tifosi
07-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Good race, it was great to see Raikkonen challenging for the lead. This shows that the McLaren is geniunely fast. Good race also for Button, although I think he was dissapointed with his finish, being his home race. Very dissapointing race for Sato as he was very much off pace. Word is that Honda decreased the revs/hp to increase reliability after his engine blew up 6 of the first 10 races. Other good news for BAR is that neither Renault finished in the points, so they have closed down the lead to 2nd place in the manufacturing title.

All in all, at least Schumacher had to work for his win this weekend, and its very good to see McLaren challenging for race wins and podiums again.

r1ckst4
07-12-2004, 03:51 AM
yeah... gud on Kimi for doing a gud fight.
to be honest.. i'm just tired of seeing Michael Schumacher wining the race all the time. The guy is a great racer no doubt, he's prob the best fomula 1 racer in history... but he's just too gud and other drivers are just no competition for him and the ferrari team...
i find dat formula 1 is becoming a bit boring actually coz michael has won every single race this year accept in Monaco. The guy shouldnt race anymore... he's alredy good and filthy rich...no need to comtinue racing and let the younger drivers hav a go.

Matra et Alpine
07-12-2004, 03:54 AM
Good race, it was great to see Raikkonen challenging for the lead. This shows that the McLaren is geniunely fast.
Schumi on 2 stop strategy so all stints on heavier fuel load.
Kimi on 3 stop and even on the 'bad' out laps for Schumi wasn't able to put the hammer down.
McLaren have still got a bit to go.
Unfortunately they can't 'engineer' a Ross Brawn, the man is superb on tactics !!!

fpv_gtho
07-12-2004, 03:57 AM
whats the actual advantage in going for a 2 stop strategy? the only thing i can come up with is if the pit lane is very long and takes a while to do a pitstop

Matra et Alpine
07-12-2004, 04:32 AM
whats the actual advantage in going for a 2 stop strategy? the only thing i can come up with is if the pit lane is very long and takes a while to do a pitstop
First, as you say , timing. If a lighter car can go faster than oppoenets by the time it takes to pit then you shoudl go for the more stops option. In theory with very short pit in-out times you could see 5 or 6 stops !!
second, where you come BACK on track. If after a stop you come out in slow traffic then that's bad. You WANT to come out into clear track. Ross Brawn has shown Ferrari ability to CHANGE strategy to take advantage of this !!
Coming out into mid-pack means having to race slower cars and in todays hard-to-overtake tracks that is bad.
Kimi lost 4 seconds on one of his stints.

fpv_gtho
07-12-2004, 04:38 AM
i suppose they also take into account if the time penalty per lap from having a heavier car outweighs the advantage of 1 less pitstop.

was it at the nurburgring the pitstops were only taking about 15-20 seconds all up from entry to exit?

Matra et Alpine
07-12-2004, 04:57 AM
i suppose they also take into account if the time penalty per lap from having a heavier car outweighs the advantage of 1 less pitstop.

The same thing from the heavier car perspective, yes :)

was it at the nurburgring the pitstops were only taking about 15-20 seconds all up from entry to exit?
Don't know. Does anyone have pit lane entry/exit times for all the F1 tracks ??

Ferrari Tifosi
07-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Schumi on 2 stop strategy so all stints on heavier fuel load.
Kimi on 3 stop and even on the 'bad' out laps for Schumi wasn't able to put the hammer down.
McLaren have still got a bit to go.
Unfortunately they can't 'engineer' a Ross Brawn, the man is superb on tactics !!!

Yes, McLaren does still have a bit to go, but we must remember that the MP4/19B only has two races under its belt and only a little over a month of total development done. If the is this good now, then by the end of the year it should be an incredible car.

r1ckst4
07-13-2004, 02:34 AM
yeah... gud on Kimi for doing a gud fight.
to be honest.. i'm just tired of seeing Michael Schumacher wining the race all the time. The guy is a great racer no doubt, he's prob the best fomula 1 racer in history... but he's just too gud and other drivers are just no competition for him and the ferrari team...
i find dat formula 1 is becoming a bit boring actually coz michael has won every single race this year accept in Monaco. The guy shouldnt race anymore... he's alredy good and filthy rich...no need to comtinue racing and let the younger drivers hav a go.

:confused: :mad: OK! sum1 took away a rep point from me just becoz i had a say... wot the hell is wrong wit dat comment? :mad:

OK! to the person hu took away my rep point... hav ur say and tell me wot u dnt like bout my comment...

Homem de Gelo
07-13-2004, 12:27 PM
:confused: :mad: OK! sum1 took away a rep point from me just becoz i had a say... wot the hell is wrong wit dat comment? :mad:

OK! to the person hu took away my rep point... hav ur say and tell me wot u dnt like bout my comment...

Wot I dun't like iz dat you' spellin' and typin' iz b@d enuf ta' make it a pain ta' read you' postz. It ain't nofin personal dawg.

Don't worry.
I won't engage in any crusade taking reputation away from all your posts because of spelling, typing and grammar. I just thought you should know.

r1ckst4
07-13-2004, 08:24 PM
well i'm sorry... neva thought bad grammar and spelling can cost me a rep point...

i'm pretty sure dat this site was made so dat everybody from around the world can join in and share their thoughts and opinions on cars... just for ur information... i can speak 5 other languages okay? English is not my first language and sorry for not speaking a PERFECT english!

N soz if u dnt like th way i type... eva herd of chatting? dis kinda typing actly saves time k? so y shud i spend so much time to spell rite n type rite? as long as ppl can understand wot i'm saying... so if u dnt like it... 2 bad!

:( Sorry if i get all upset... dont mean to create a big argument here... i just thought i shud make my point.