PDA

View Full Version : FIA to revive World Touring Car Championship in 2005.

motorsportnerd
07-10-2004, 07:32 PM
In 2005, the European Touring Car Championship will become the World Touring Car Championship, featuring a total of 10 rounds. This will be the first FIA World Touring Car Championship since 1987. There were three World Touring Car Cups in 1993, 94 & 95, but these were one off races.

See the following links for the announcement : http://www.eurostc.com/2k4/default.asp?callPage=contentreadnews.asp&id=793
and
http://www.eurostc.com/2k4/default.asp?callPage=contentreadnews.asp&id=794.

According to the latest edition of Australia's fortnightly Motorsport News magazine, the manufacturers which have committed to the series are Alfa Romeo, BMW, Ford and SEAT. It is thought that Peugeot and one other (Honda?) will also compete.

Sounds good. Just one problem for me - no Australian race. Also, making the WTCC for DTM or V8 Supercars would've been more exciting (though it would've limited the number of manufacturers able to compete).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Will it be successful?

fpv_gtho
07-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Which countries are they actually planning on going to? If they're still only going to Europe, its still in essence the ETCC

fpv_gtho
07-10-2004, 08:41 PM
6 March - Buenos Aires (ARG)
3 April – Monza (ITA)
24 April – Magny-Cours (FRA)
8 May – Donington (GBR)
22 May – Brno (CZE)
26 June – TBA
30 July – Spa (BEL)
4 September – Oschersleben (GER)
25 September – Istanbul (TUR)
20 November – Macau (CHN)

I checked the link, and thats the provisional calender so far. If i had to make any changes, i'd wanna include Laguna Seca and Bathurst in there somewhere, and theres only 1 spot so maybe drop the German round

motorsportnerd
07-11-2004, 01:17 AM
At the moment, the WTCC will effectively be the ETCC plus two overseas rounds (Buenos Aires and Macau). Maybe in future years, other tracks and rounds will be included.

fpv_gtho
07-11-2004, 01:49 AM
well i suppose its safer and easier to start the WTCC off the ETCC, rather than pull international tracks out of a hat, so to speak. somehow i doubt an Australian round will ever be put on there as most people here i'd say would only pay attention to it if there were Australian cars competing, and i dont see the likely hood of that with the current format. 2L racing just isnt something alot of people are interested in here, as you said, something more like DTM/V8 Supercars wouldve been better