PDA

View Full Version : Black SLR

Coventrysucks
07-11-2004, 09:38 AM
So I have managed to up the "most expensive car I have been in" by £67,000

This example of the £317,000 SLR was freash from the Factory, barely 140 miles on the clock,

The sills are easy to get in over, getting out was a bit trickier though, would require an afternoon of practice so that you don't fall flat on your face.

Those leather covered carbon fibre seats are the most comfortable seats I have sat in, very supportive in all the right places.

In front of you the steering wheel, the two big dials, one goes up to 80, the other 360, beyond that the long black bonnet enclosing the heart of the car.

Despite what Richard Hammond may tell you, that isn't cheap plastic on the centre console, it is aluminium.

The boot is quite spacious, and luckily its design prevents rain water from pouring off the rear screen and bootlid when opened.

The doors managed to keep the worst of the rain out whilst open, which is good.

Ron proudly announced that they have taken their 100th order, whist the McLaren spokesman reminded us that it isn't a McLaren as such, it is just built by them.

He also confirmed that the "P8" will be built, at between £100-110,000.

Kimi was his usual enthusiastic self when describing the car "It's good, very fast" was about as much as he seemed prepared to divulge.

Amazingly the engine produces well over 700bhp, before the supercharger takes its toll, bonkers.
:)

Coventrysucks
07-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Some more

Coventrysucks
07-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Various gubbins

Coventrysucks
07-11-2004, 10:02 AM
The rest.

Coventrysucks
07-11-2004, 10:04 AM
P.S.
It sounds phuq-ing fantastic

Sweeney921
07-11-2004, 11:27 AM
why would they make the speedo go to 360 mph?!?!?! if you look closely, it clearly says "mph" on the left of the speedo.

Matra et Alpine
07-11-2004, 11:35 AM
why would they make the speedo go to 360 mph?!?!?! if you look closely, it clearly says "mph" on the left of the speedo.
I'm guessing you can configure the eletronics to Km or miles.
Easy for simple annunciators and displays, hard to do for dials.
So the numbers are the max Km it can do, but the needle will go to where the electronics decide based on km or miles dividers :)

cuntukimushroom
07-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Those pics are georgous :eek:

Coventrysucks
07-11-2004, 03:54 PM

Its a German car, hence km/h rather than mph.
I don't know why it has mph on the display though.

360km/h = ~ 220mph

We did all decide that you'd keep thinking:
"I'd better get some milk from the supermarket... in Scotland"
"I need to stock up on champagne, I'd better just nip down to Riems"
:D

It was so tempting to press the "start" button and do a few donuts on the wet grass.
;)

Matra et Alpine
07-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Its a German car, hence km/h rather than mph.
It's an international car with a computer dash.

So, like ALL of the current cars, youi can switch the display between km and niles.

Try it in any Renault or Citroen - 2 I've done it in :)

I still reckon that's the reason.

I don't know why it has mph on the display though.
Because it's been set to miles :)

Go back and ask them .....

Sweeney921
07-11-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm guessing you can configure the eletronics to Km or miles.
i bet that's right. funny how i never ever would have thought of that idea, cuz it prolly saves mercedes/mclaren some $$$$$ by only having to design one dash.

Coventrysucks
07-11-2004, 05:42 PM
It's an international car with a computer dash.

I meant that that particular car was German, and hence had the analogue dials in km/h

Matra et Alpine
07-12-2004, 02:44 AM
I meant that that particular car was German, and hence had the analogue dials in km/h

ah, OK, you confused me with the prices in pounds and the implication that it was your photos.
Being UK-based, I assumed ( wrongly clearly ) that we were looking at a car in the UK.

Where DID the photos come from ?
Possibly for a UK launch ??

Besides the fact that the display DOES show mph I still stand by the only logical solution :)

Coventrysucks
07-12-2004, 05:11 AM
ah, OK, you confused me with the prices in pounds and the implication that it was your photos.
Being UK-based, I assumed ( wrongly clearly ) that we were looking at a car in the UK.

Where DID the photos come from ?
Possibly for a UK launch ??

Besides the fact that the display DOES show mph I still stand by the only logical solution :)

They are my photos...
It was at a pre GP do hosted by Mobil 1 on Saturday evening, with a few people from DaimlerChrysler as well. Sited at a nice mansion nestled in the countryside near Daventry.
My Dad works for Mobil, and knows a few of the people who deal with the motorsports side of things, inc. the head Mobil man at McLaren, a chap called Tony, a very nice man.

They had food, free drinks, 'coptered in Kimi, David and Ron for a few interviews, and there were some people from the Mobil/ McLaren team.
See the "A few nice cars" thread for more of the cars they had on display round the front.

They had that SLR on display, fresh from the factory I think, but the car was a lhd example, with German registration.
They had some people with quite a bit of money there, and so obviously they were letting people have a good look round, and if you were there at the right time, you could get in. No cordons or ropes here.

As far as I can remember, the silver SLR they had at Canary Wharf was rhd and had the analogue dials in mph, being a UK car.

I don't know why they had that one there, unless their other demo cars were unavailable.

It was a German registered car in the UK, not really that odd or confusing.

I think that there is a digital display of speed next to the "MPH" on the dial, and as you say, that can be switched between mph and km/h, but as it is headed for Germany, the analogue dials are km/h.

Coventrysucks
07-12-2004, 10:16 AM
I have a couple of other photos which didn't come out so well.

SL500
07-13-2004, 04:28 AM
where is that place?

Coventrysucks
07-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Fawsley Hall (http://www.fawsleyhall.com/)
Pretty much in the middle of England

Nice place