PDA

View Full Version : Mclaren MP4-19B nose revised

Cotterik
07-14-2004, 11:36 AM
McLaren tested a new, wider nose on the MP4-19B at Silverstone on Wednesday.

The car's existing low, swooping nose has been replaced by a more conventional arrangement that bears a passing resemblance to front of the Ferrari.

Kimi Raikkonen took to the track in damp conditions to try out the new nose.

Team boss Ron Dennis said after Sunday's British Grand Prix that the team would be introducing another performance step at Hockenheim - but it is not yet clear whether the revised nose will be part of it.

The only photo is small, but larger ones should follow. The first is the revised MP4-19b, the second is the old one.

More news and testing times will follow as they are released.

Sweeney921
07-14-2004, 12:23 PM
it looks like they just widened the nose

kko
07-14-2004, 12:45 PM
im not big on f1

is that to get more air to the under body aerodynamic thingamajiggers?

Sweeney921
07-14-2004, 02:16 PM
im not big on f1

what thingamajiggers are u talking about?

Coventrysucks
07-14-2004, 02:48 PM
im not big on f1

Underbody thingamajiggers are banned. There has to be a flat bottom, with a wooden "plank".

There is a small diffuser at the back.

The aim of the aerodynamics around the nose are to channel air over the wing, through the cooling ducts, and then push it around the cockpit into the side pods.

Personally I think it looks slightly ugly now, but if it wins them races it'll have to do.

The days of good looking race cars are long gone.
:(

VtecMini
07-14-2004, 03:08 PM
I nearly always watch the GP, but to be honest, without the side by side comparison I'd probably not have noticed if they raced with it.

The only one that looks interesting to me is the Williams. At least it's different.

I think they stopped looking interested after the cigar on wheels era, when downforce started changing the way the cars looked.

(Give or take the odd Tyrell P34 six wheeler)

kko
07-19-2004, 07:36 PM
that makes since
ty

Ferrari Tifosi
07-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Hope this change advances the McLaren's performance farther, it should. Also, there is also an undertray underneath the car that works in conjunction with the rear diffuser to create the most substantial amount of downforce of any aerodynamic piece on the car.