PDA

View Full Version : Earnhardt, JR. and Said to race Chevrolet Corvette C5-R

SIMPLETON
07-15-2004, 10:48 AM
For those of you dont wnt to read the whole article it basicly says that Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Boris Said are going to driving a third C5-R

fromcorvetteracing.com (http://corvetteracing.com)

Infineon Grand Prix of Sonoma

Earnhardt, Jr. and Said to Race Chevrolet Corvette C5-R

NASCAR star and veteran sports car racer to drive third
Corvette at Infineon Raceway

DETROIT - The General Motors Chevrolet Corvette Racing team will field a third C5-R for drivers Dale Earnhardt, Jr., and Boris Said for Round Four of the American Le Mans Series at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California this weekend. The race marks the factory Corvette C5-R's 50th race since its inception in 1999; to date the successful GT sports racing car has compiled 29 victories in 49 races.

"It will be great to have Dale Jr. back into the Chevrolet Corvette C5-R and Boris will be an excellent partner for him," said Doug Duchardt, director of GM Racing. "This is a great way for us to celebrate the Corvette C5-R's 50th race. This commitment to compete across the entire spectrum of major league motorsports is why Chevy is the most successful manufacturer in racing."

The three-car team for the race in Sonoma will reunite Dale Earnhardt, Jr. with the Corvette Racing team, a bond that began at the 2001 running of the 24 Hours of Daytona, where Earnhardt, Jr. and his father, the late Dale Earnhardt, finished fourth overall in their first ever sports car race. Boris Said is a renowned sports car racer and has found considerable success as an expert on NASCAR's road circuits; Said won the pole position for GM at the NASCAR Winston Cup event at Sonoma in 2003.

Earnhardt, Jr. spent the late part of January preparing for his eventual Daytona 500 victory by way of racing for Chevrolet in the 24 Hours of Daytona along with fellow NASCAR star Tony Stewart and road racing veteran Andy Wallace. The trio led the majority of the rain-soaked event before encountering a suspension failure in the closing minutes of the race. Earnhardt, Jr. is fast becoming a successful multi-dimensional racing driver. He has won two NASCAR Nextel Cup races in 2004, including the Daytona 500, and currently sits second in the drivers' championship.

"I am really looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of the Corvette C5-R because it is such a great race car," said Earnhardt, Jr. "I'm happy that Chevy has given me the chance to crossover and take part in its sports car program, which has been a huge success. Boris Said has a lot of experience at Infineon Raceway, and I'm getting better there, so it should be a fun weekend."

Earnhardt's teammate, Boris Said, remarked that he is looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the Corvette at Sonoma.

"The Corvette is an unbelievable car to drive-it is probably one of the best cars I have ever driven," commented Said. "I'm also excited to drive with my good buddy Dale Jr. It's fun to drive with one of your best friends."

About General Motors

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest vehicle manufacturer, employs 342,000 people globally in its core automotive business and subsidiaries. Founded in 1908, GM has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. GM today has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in more than 190 countries. In 2002, GM sold more than 8.6 million cars and trucks, nearly 15 percent of the global vehicle market. GM’s global headquarters is at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM and its products can be found on the company’s consumer website at http://www.gm.com.

cuntukimushroom
07-15-2004, 11:04 AM
cool i look forward to seeing it :rolleyes:

NAZCA C2
07-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Dale Jr. was injured this morning when he crashed his C5-R in a morning practice session at Sonoma Raceway. He suffered minor burns and a knee injury. I saw the crash on TV earlier. The car burst into flames after he came in contact with a barrier.

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?NewsID=252

SIMPLETON
07-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Dale Jr. was injured this morning when he crashed his C5-R in a morning practice session at Sonoma Raceway. He suffered minor burns and a knee injury. I saw the crash on TV earlier. The car burst into flames after he came in contact with a barrier.

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?NewsID=252

I was just about to post the ame thing but my cp is so slow you got here before me. That crash was terrible. Let's just hope little E is ok and that they can fix the car. Do you know if their goinn to call of the race or if their going to try and fix the car and find replaceement driver