PDA

View Full Version : more proposed changes for F1

Homem de Gelo
07-16-2004, 07:45 AM
From 2006, there will be a choice of engines...
The FIA has today provided the Formula One teams with details of a package of measures to reduce the performance of Formula One cars. These measures are likely to be imposed if satisfactory proposals have not been agreed by at least eight teams and presented to the FIA before 6 September 2004.

1. Aerodynamics (2005)
Diffuser height limited, front wing raised, rear wing element moved forward and changes to the bodywork immediately in front of the rear wheels. Together, these changes are estimated to reduce downforce on a current car by at least 25%, but reduce drag by less than 4%.

Explanation: lower downforce will reduce speeds, particularly in fast corners, and slightly increase braking distances, while the small reduction in drag will have a minimal effect on straight-line speeds.

2. Tyres (2005)
A driver may choose from two types of tyre, as in 2004. He will then have two sets of his chosen tyre, one for Friday and Saturday practice, the other for qualifying and the race. A damaged tyre can be replaced during the race (taken from the first set), but the car cannot be refuelled at the same time as the damaged tyre is changed.

Explanation: a tyre which must last 350 km rather than 80 km will have less grip, reducing cornering speeds, increasing braking distances and possibly producing less tyre debris or “marbles”.

3. Engine (2005)
One engine to last for two race weekends.

Explanation: both peak and average power will be less than for an engine with a shorter life.

4. Engine (2006)
2.4 litre V8 (90º) with maximum bore diameter, fixed cylinder spacing, minimum crankshaft centre line height, minimum weight and minimum height of centre of gravity. Direct fuel injection, variable geometry inlet systems, variable geometry exhaust systems, variable valve timing and variable valve lift systems all prohibited. Only one spark plug, one coil and one injector per cylinder. Exotic materials banned.

Explanation: a 20% reduction in capacity will produce a corresponding drop in power. Constraints on design and the use of materials will significantly slow the rate of power increase and reduce the scope for using engine design to improve chassis characteristics. Keeping existing cylinder sizes retains many current engine components while keeping engine revs close to current levels.

5. Other engines
During 2006 and 2007, teams which cannot obtain a 2.4 litre engine will be able to use a 3 litre V10 with power restricted by means of a rev limit fixed by the FIA.

Explanation: this will ensure that all teams (including new entrants) have access to a competitive engine, even if supplies of the new 2.4 are initially restricted.

newmy
07-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Thats all well and good to reduce the performance of the cars, but in my opinion the changes they need to make to F1 are more in the competition side and money factors. For the teams to comply with these new rules they need to develop better, more relaible packages which means spending more money. Lowering the amount of speding money allowed by the teams should be made mandatory. Doing this would limit testing time and the development phase of every car component. People are sick of seeing the same person win over and over again, but that cant be helped because of the driver, hes just that good. Cut the costing to make it an even playing field and we would see the likes of Trulli, Alonzo, Webber, and co for the real drivers they are. Not that F1 needs any bigger audience!

Nick
07-16-2004, 09:02 AM
i think that most of the changes that are shown here r absurd. they will loose alot of the exitement of the pitstops .. i dont think that any of the tires will last the qualifiying and the race. also the engines that have to last for 2 race weekends. the engines are going to be so worn out after the first race that not as much power can be delivered anymore in the second race and will have a bigger chance of engine failure. also i dont think many of the teams can comply to these new changes so there might be some teams that have to totally drop out of F1 for this

this is my view on these changes.

Coventrysucks
07-16-2004, 09:37 AM
i think that most of the changes that are shown here r absurd. they will loose alot of the exitement of the pitstops .. i dont think that any of the tires will last the qualifiying and the race. also the engines that have to last for 2 race weekends. the engines are going to be so worn out after the first race that not as much power can be delivered anymore in the second race and will have a bigger chance of engine failure. also i dont think many of the teams can comply to these new changes so there might be some teams that have to totally drop out of F1 for this

this is my view on these changes.

"the excitement of pitstops"

The only reason that the pitstops are exciting is because there is so little chance of ovrtaking on track.

I don't think your points about the engines loosing power so easily are true - they will have to be engineered to last and perform longer.

I think that these changes are cost cutting measures so more teams are likely to join and be competative.

At the moment there are only 50 companies in the world with enough money to become a title partner with an F1 team, so if F1 continues as is, it is almost certain that most of the teams will drop out anyway.

Minardi, Jordan and Jaguar will probably go if these new rules don't come through, cutting the field by 30% and the standard of racing will drop even further.
:)

Homem de Gelo
07-16-2004, 07:51 PM
What I hate are the engine changes.
Why in hell's name should someone be penalized in one race if his engine blew the race before? As far as I'm concerned, all races should be completely independent events and the events of one shouldn't influence the other, the exception being if someone really f-cked up and caused a perfectly avoiable crash or was caught cheating.

Homem de Gelo
07-16-2004, 07:52 PM
And bringing these changes won't cut costs, as much money will be invested exactly to adapt to such changes.

Ferrari Tifosi
07-18-2004, 03:48 PM
I think these changes are going a little too far. I mean prohibiting Variable Valve timing systems? WTF, a Civic has variable valve timing!!!! They're taking this way to far and are going to kill the sport in my opinion. Banning simple systems that appear on a $15,000 car isn't going to cut cost by any noticible amount.