PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with cultural ignorance?

Egg Nog
07-21-2004, 05:57 PM
I've seen a lot of debate on these forums recently about people being ignorant of other people's cultures and ways of life. Almost all of the time, everyone is at fault for being ignorant.

What people do is:

1) State their culture.
2) Say why it is great.
3) Say other people are ignorant because they do not think it is great.
4) EDIT: Ignore other people's culture.
5) Rinse, reapeat.

There's definately a lot to be said for a much more fundamental understanding of both sides of the story.

Matra et Alpine
07-21-2004, 06:07 PM
That's step 4 isn't it :)

baddabang
07-21-2004, 06:13 PM
ummm I havent noticed this. I certianly hope im not ignorant. Maby one needs to pay more attention :o

Egg Nog
07-21-2004, 06:21 PM
That's step 4 isn't it :)

I don't follow what you mean...

It's mostly just the whole USA -vs- Europe debate... a few arguers on both sides of the debate seem to be more or less blindly fighting for their side, without actually putting much thought to others' points.

KnifeEdge_2K1
07-21-2004, 06:37 PM

It's mostly just the whole USA -vs- Europe debate... a few arguers on both sides of the debate seem to be more or less blindly fighting for their side, without actually putting much thought to others' points.

cant forget the whole rice crap, and the bling bling crap, oh the mischief ive gotten into with those 2 .... good times :D

crisis
07-21-2004, 06:43 PM

I think its called ignorance and intolerance. Its been going on since time began. Seems theres no need to stop it now.

werty
07-21-2004, 07:10 PM
I think its called ignorance and intolerance. Its been going on since time began. Seems theres no need to stop it now.
it wont ever stop, thats why "they" invented war as well, you know...to solve the problems between them :rolleyes:

byronleehk
07-21-2004, 07:45 PM
it wont ever stop, thats why "they" invented war as well, you know...to solve the problems between them :rolleyes:

Ture! But that doesn't mean we HAVE to do it here at UCP. :)

True! People will have opinions at times and WILL defend them (which is natural), but it will be nice to open up one's mind (before one's mouth) and try to see from the other's prespectives.

Just my 2 cents. :)

IBrake4Rainbows
07-22-2004, 12:07 AM
I guess all we can do is try to learn about other cultures.....

I myself have been guilty of Ignorance sometimes and the fact that I admit my failings is step 1 of my World Discovering plan.

Thats what i love about the forums, the foibles of people so unbelieveably shut in in their beliefs and values that you can try all you want to see where they come from, only to conclude them being the ignorant one......

I haven't lived in either Europe or America but i can say this: i've seen too much of America on my sanitised television, Europe seems much more interesting.....

Heres an example of the debate:

AMERICAN: I love my homeland because we're all free and don't give a F**k what anyone else thinks.
EUROPEAN: I love living in *Insert Country* because of all the opportunities. Plus, if i don't like the government, i can always move Countries easily.
AMERICAN: I told you we Don't Give a F**k about other countries opinions!
EUROPEAN: then why are you responding to mine, typical american thinks there better than the rest of us.....

Ad Nauseum, Ad Infinitum.

Ain't living in the 1st world a blast!

@wall
07-22-2004, 02:25 AM
I've seen a lot of debate on these forums recently about people being ignorant of other people's cultures and ways of life. Almost all of the time, everyone is at fault for being ignorant.

What people do is:

1) State their culture.
2) Say why it is great.
3) Say other people are ignorant because they do not think it is great.
4) EDIT: Ignore other people's culture.
5) Rinse, reapeat.

There's definately a lot to be said for a much more fundamental understanding of both sides of the story.

I feel to some degree it is the nature in which we debate. By this I mean a forum on the internet. This brings up a pro and con.

The pro is that we are all too some degree anonymous. By this I mean we don't make value judgements about each other based on say the colour of one's skin or the brand of cloths on their back. This is good. It forces us to actually read what another says before making a decision about a person and or their culture.

The con is that due to this anonymity all we really seem to do is stereotype each other. You see if you can't see the way someone is making a statement about one culture or another the interpretation is often a stereotype. By this I mean I could be having a dig at Australians for whatever reason, but because all you can do is read what I am saying and not see the manor or emphasis in how I argue, you may take offence or just laugh at it.

Basically what I am trying to say is that because we are forced only to read what someone argues we tend to stereotype in our response because we are often uneducated about another culture. Hence ignorance.

I was raised by the rule of think before you speak. Different circumstances here, but if people actually digest and deliberate on others opinions before shooting from the hip maybe we wouldn't be ignorant..?

well there's my 3 cents...
:D

Matt
07-22-2004, 04:43 AM
I guess all we can do is try to learn about other cultures.....

I myself have been guilty of Ignorance sometimes and the fact that I admit my failings is step 1 of my World Discovering plan.

Thats what i love about the forums, the foibles of people so unbelieveably shut in in their beliefs and values that you can try all you want to see where they come from, only to conclude them being the ignorant one......

I haven't lived in either Europe or America but i can say this: i've seen too much of America on my sanitised television, Europe seems much more interesting.....

Heres an example of the debate:

AMERICAN: I love my homeland because we're all free and don't give a F**k what anyone else thinks.
EUROPEAN: I love living in *Insert Country* because of all the opportunities. Plus, if i don't like the government, i can always move Countries easily.
AMERICAN: I told you we Don't Give a F**k about other countries opinions!
EUROPEAN: then why are you responding to mine, typical american thinks there better than the rest of us.....

Ad Nauseum, Ad Infinitum.

Ain't living in the 1st world a blast!

If you think that's the way Americans are, then you HAVEN'T seen enough of America on tv.

VtecMini
07-22-2004, 10:34 AM
I think perhaps part of the problem is down to an issue which is expressed accurately in the John Gabriel Greater Internet Theory...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-03-19

Or at least I reckon so.

SlickHolden
07-22-2004, 03:54 PM
With some people you can say nothing and be called a pig ignorant it doesnt matter with some.

Coventrysucks
07-22-2004, 04:21 PM
I think that in general Europeans are more open to other cultures because there is such variety in quite a small place.

A 2 hour flight from the UK and you can end up in any number of countries, each with their own different cultures, languages, etc.

A 2 hour flight from America and you'll probably get wet, or not get out of America, depending on where you start.

Just imagine how different the US would be if every state had its own language.

cls12vg30
07-22-2004, 05:37 PM
I have to agree with the benefits of having varied cultures to choose from. In my case, I am very strongly in favor with the ideals around which the United States was founded, however there are some states you could not pay me enough to live in. This is why I tend to favor more states' rights, if the individual states are freer to decide more issues for themselves, each individual citizen has more of a choice, can live in the state or region which best reflects their own beliefs and ideals, as opposed to a single, homogeneous nation with no state or regional differences. And moving from one of the fifty states to another is infinitely easier than moving from one country to another, even in Europe. Moving from New York to North Carolina, two very different states, was no more difficult than moving across the street. I prefer having that choice. Many people in this country are hostile to the concept of states' rights, they view it as divisive, or a relic from the days of the American Civil War. I belive in states' rights wholeheartedly, for the reasons I've stated, and also for the basic reason that, the smaller the number of people under a government entity, the more effective that entity can be in meeting the desires of the people. For this reason it makes sense for the powers to be delegated first to local, then to states, and last to the federal government.

SlickHolden
07-23-2004, 10:38 AM
In Australia where i live go to the shop there is asians selling rolls,
Go next door milkbar greek,
Fish and Chip shop Masadonion sorry bout spelling everyone no offence,
Its like the foreign legion. the only thing i hate is the asian people that have been here for years they wont speak english and there kids are taught in there tounge so when it is school time they need to be taught english it is just money wasted, A friend of mine is teaching english over seas and he said they all speak english before they go to other countrys, Its when they get there they drop it.

The Tuner
07-23-2004, 04:52 PM
the only thing i hate is the asian people that have been here for years they wont speak english and there kids are taught in there tounge so when it is school time they need to be taught english it is just money wasted

now thts wat u wud think. for an asian parent, having his child not kno his own tongue and roots very well is sumthin he wud never tolerate. i kno, i grew up with them. i am, in fact, originally indian. and once a kid starts goin to an australian (or american or english or anythng) school or instituion, he wud always find the local culture more appealing coz it wud help him fit it. once he starts going after it, there's no teachin him his roots n stuff...
u cant blame his parents for tryin to keep him wat he really is while bringing him up in a foreign land.

SlickHolden
07-24-2004, 07:41 AM
now thts wat u wud think. for an asian parent, having his child not kno his own tongue and roots very well is sumthin he wud never tolerate. i kno, i grew up with them. i am, in fact, originally indian. and once a kid starts goin to an australian (or american or english or anythng) school or instituion, he wud always find the local culture more appealing coz it wud help him fit it. once he starts going after it, there's no teachin him his roots n stuff...
u cant blame his parents for tryin to keep him wat he really is while bringing him up in a foreign land.
But if you are going to move over seas and have kids and live your life there, then you could at least try a little to fit in for the kids sake, After all they are born there some have been here for 20 years and scream there lingo out loud in shops its hard to hear yourslef think half the time. They refuse to teach them english when they speak it very well thats my biggest bone teach both its to there benifit in the end