PDA

View Full Version : GroupB Renault R5 Turbo vid

Matra et Alpine
07-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Alpine's groupB car, sticking with rear engine, rear wheel drive, they just put lots of power and revs in to match excellent handling to makw n early winner.

If you thought the crowds were scary, how about going through the villages at flat-out !!

VtecMini
07-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Dear lordy... Are you absolutely sure that isn't sped up like the RSX video from a few days ago?

That little thing is absolutely crazy, it's little wonder they weren't around long! I'd still love to see a comeback mind you, albeit a safer one.

Matra et Alpine
07-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Dear lordy... Are you absolutely sure that isn't sped up like the RSX video from a few days ago?

That little thing is absolutely crazy, it's little wonder they weren't around long! I'd still love to see a comeback mind you, albeit a safer one.
No it's real.
These cars were awesomely fast and you got REAL close, no barriers, no grandstand - they went right through the alpine roads and villages of France, Italy and Spain :)

I was lucky enough to see one of these running full chat at Mount Stuart last year. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3829&highlight=mount+stuart
Great sound too.

380bhp from 1571cc in 905 kg - the lightest of them all.300 KILOS lighter than the great Audi :) and nearly 10% lighter than the pinnacle of the Pug 205

VtecMini
07-22-2004, 02:36 PM
So around 420bhp/ton then. In a rally car. A tiny one at that. Awesome.

Sounds like a Noble M12 for the bumpys. :)

Ciscoheat
07-22-2004, 03:34 PM
One of my favourite cars, ludricous concept that unfortunaltey has no equivelant today.
Wish there was more videos.

biggysmalls
07-22-2004, 03:42 PM
only one thing to say : beautiful. That kinda car is becoming a bit rare in the rallies (but we still used to see a lot of Simca 1000 in it and also a bit of Berlinette). The next generation of R5 turbo (not maxi) is also amazing to see in a race.
My oncle had ones in the past, that was the first time i felt so much violence in a motor... (right the turbo pressure was a bit enhanced compared to the normal...)

Matra et Alpine
07-22-2004, 03:51 PM
One of my favourite cars, ludricous concept that unfortunaltey has no equivelant today.
Wish there was more videos.
Try a shot in a Clio V6.
Not quite as outrageous, but an equally scary handful :)

Get a shot in a track V6 Cup and it will scare you silly. Wheelbase is too short to be stable !!!!!!

SPN:DOC
07-23-2004, 10:09 PM
wow i love that clip, must of seen it 20 times... too bad the quality was not so good… does any one have some more… :D that Turbo looked very fast… :D