PDA

View Full Version : Williams-Briattore saga

fpv_gtho
07-26-2004, 04:50 AM
Williams have a few problems on their hands for next year.
1. They have 2 spots to fill with top level drivers. Whilst Webber is 99.99% confirmed to fill Montoya's shoes, Briattore won't let it happen unless he in return has a top level driver to fill Trulli's spot in the absence of Webber.

2. Their decision to use Ralf's empty car as a trial for a driver next year has dented their manufacturers championship position and harmed their reputation. They also wanted to test Nick Heidfeld at Jerez, but Eddie Jordan asked for too much to cover the costs.

Its a situation if someone gives a bit here, then someone else can give a bit there, and someone else can take a bit there. For Webber to go to Williams, Renault need a top level driver, which looks to be Fisichella. The #2 seat seems to be a fight between Heidfeld, Pizzonia, Gene and if you believe the media, Hakkinen and Villeneuve

Homem de Gelo
07-26-2004, 09:54 AM
It seems Williams have got Webber and given up Fisichella, who is possibly returning to Renault.

Trulli is possibly heading for Toyota, and, even though it might be good for him and Ralf, I'm not sure how good it is for Toyota. Both Ralf and Trulli are very inconsistent, alternating between horrible and great performances during the entire season. Trulli did well at Barcelona and Monaco, but where else was he in contention for a podium? Ralf had a great race at Montreal, but where else was he in contention for a podium or showed the same speed and determination?

Let's wait and see, some things are clear now, others remain very obscure.

Cotterik
07-26-2004, 02:20 PM
ok a few things seem rather, out of place to me. Firstly, what has Flavio Flavio Briatore got to do with the Webber - Williams situation? He is the Renault team boss, and they arent involved? Only Jaguar and Williams.
I understand that he needs someone to fill Trulli's place, are you suggesting that Renault as well as Williams want to sign Webber? Maybe you have mistaken Flavio Briatore as the Jaguar team boss?

Another thing, they wanted to have Nick Heidfeld in the williams for the german grand prix, as this would go well with BMW ( being a german manufacturer ) But Eddie Jordan felt that williams were treating him as a ' Mere stand-in ' and did not want to give away his driver for what couldve been a single race in another team. However, the money issue was also a factor.

Webber Is certain to be moving to BMW WIlliams next year, and a replacement for Ralf Schumacher could be:

Mika Hakkinen
Giancarlo Fischicella
David Coulthard
Heidfeld
Pizzonia
Gene

Williams admitted that they require at least one experienced driver, an obvious choice would be Mika Hakkinen or David Coulthard.
Villeneuve is not returning to f1 in 2005, his agent confirmed he has no current interest.

I predict that Fischicella will replace trulli at renault, and Webber and Hakkinen will drive for BMW Williams. Pizzonia and Gene have both shown that they are not capable of performing well enough for a top team.

Coulthard will probably join Ralf Schumacher at Toyota, who will no doubt be right up there with the top 5 teams in the next few years, they are the richest team afterall.

However, time will tell

Deckard
07-26-2004, 04:22 PM
ok a few things seem rather, out of place to me. Firstly, what has Flavio Flavio Briatore got to do with the Webber - Williams situation? He is the Renault team boss, and they arent involved? Only Jaguar and Williams.
I understand that he needs someone to fill Trulli's place, are you suggesting that Renault as well as Williams want to sign Webber? Maybe you have mistaken Flavio Briatore as the Jaguar team boss?

The reason is that Webber is under contract to Flavio, he is driving for Jag because they paid Flavio to have him, since he doesn't have a seat for him.

Cotterik
07-26-2004, 05:15 PM
The reason is that Webber is under contract to Flavio, he is driving for Jag because they paid Flavio to have him, since he doesn't have a seat for him.

Yes ofcourse, but so far there has been no sign of either Webber or Renault organising a seat for him next year, all the focus has been on Webber driving for williams. Fischicella is a much more suitable replacement as he used to drive for renault benetton.

Homem de Gelo
07-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Yah, Webber is Briattore's driver. It seems that he has only let Webber sign with Williams because he asked and Frank Williams agreed to not pursuit Fisichella anymore.

That's what I have read.

Now it seems as if there aren't that many good options for Williams' 2nd seat, except for retired champions Hakkinen and Villeneuve, everyone left is unproven material relagated to driving inferior cars. Coulthard would be an exception, but Patrick Head isn't fond of him and doesn't want him at Williams.

I woldn't bet a single cent on Hakkinen returning, and I have few hopes of Villeneuve returning too. Pizzonia could get the seat, but it depends on how he performs in the next race, and he must do much better than his 7th at Hockenheim. Maybe Heidfeld wil get a seat, but mercenary Eddie Jordan won't let it without asking for a healthy sum of cash.

All we can do is wait and collect the tids and bits released all around in the press...

fpv_gtho
07-27-2004, 05:42 AM
i wouldnt be surprised if Briattore became Webber's manager after Webber was Benneton's test driver in 2001 i think it was. for the most part, ive heard that coulthard will go to sauber, trulli may go to toyota, webber to williams and fisichella to renault.

Coventrysucks
07-27-2004, 01:32 PM
According to BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3928899.stm)

Toyota:
R. Schumacher
J. Trulli

Renault:
G. Fisichella
F. Alonso (?)

Williams:
M. Webber
M. Hakkinen, D. Coulthard, A. Davidson, N. Heidfield

McLaren:
K. Raikkonen
J. P. Montoya

Musical chairs anyone?

fpv_gtho
07-27-2004, 09:43 PM
i havent heard of any issues between Alonso and Briattore, so i dont doubt he'll still have a drive at renault next year. as far as i know, trulli still hasnt commented on going toyota. if he joins ralf next year, toyota could get into the points more often just on drivers alone

Mustang
07-28-2004, 01:16 AM
According to BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3928899.stm)

Toyota:
R. Schumacher
J. Trulli

Renault:
G. Fisichella
F. Alonso (?)

Williams:
M. Webber
M. Hakkinen, D. Coulthard, A. Davidson, N. Heidfield

McLaren:
K. Raikkonen
J. P. Montoya

Musical chairs anyone?

all that i can say is taht the mclaren team next year is going to be great fun to watch with those two drivers as long as they have a decently built car

fpv_gtho
07-28-2004, 02:43 AM
[28/07/04 - 10:56]

Mark Webber signs with BMW Williams
After months of speculation, it's official
Webber is now officially on his way to Williams

After months of speculation, BMW Williams confirmed this morning that Mark Webber has signed for the team for the 2005 season and beyond. The signing of the highly acclaimed 27 year-old Australian reflects a long-term mutual interest between team and driver.

“Mark is self-evidently a highly talented driver," said Frank Williams, “But his tenacity, determination and motivation are also qualities we prize at WilliamsF1. As a team, we have traditionally prospered with drivers who have a down-to-earth, ‘let’s get on with it’ attitude. Mark is certainly in that mould, and I am delighted he has agreed to join the team for 2005."

For his part, Webber said on the signing of the agreement, “The deal I have agreed with Williams today really is the most significant milestone in my career to date, and I have great expectations of what we can achieve together. Of course I am focused on my job with Jaguar Racing for the remainder of this season, but I cannot wait to take up my position with the BMW WilliamsF1 Team for next year. Besides having an amazing history of success, the team has a reputation for a no-nonsense and straightforward approach to racing, which suits me just fine."

Mark Webber has over a decade of motor racing experience, and has never failed to impress at every stage of his career. He rose to prominence in Formula One in his debut race in Melbourne in 2002, when he claimed a stunning fifth place for Minardi.

Sam Michael, WilliamsF1's Technical Director, sees the signing as more important than simply attracting a future World Champion to the team. "Mark is the kind of character who will give a whole new impetus to everyone employed at WilliamsF1 and at BMW. He is a driven person with one goal. Mark displays to me all of the characteristics on and off the track of a champion in the making, and I believe he will be a significant catalyst in improving our future results,” he said.

Mario Theissen, BMW’s Motorsport Director added, “BMW is delighted that Mark is joining the team. He is clearly a focused driver and wants to win like we all do. He shows a great attitude towards his work and we are convinced that he will be a real fortification to the team’s efforts. We have been fully involved and consulted in the process of recruiting Mark, and completely support his selection.”

Webber was a relatively late starter by motor racing standards, only taking up karting at the age 13 after a childhood spent playing and competing in a number of other sports in his native Australia. His swift progress claiming the Formula Ford Festival win in 1996 propelled the Australian into Formula 3, the FIA GT Championship with Mercedes and subsequently F3000, before Formula One beckoned.

Testing for Benetton led Webber to a full-time drive for Minardi for the 2002 season, and his prowess attracted the attentions of Jaguar Racing. In 2003, he finished the season 10th in the drivers’ championship, and scored 18 of the team’s tally of 19 points for the year.

E.A.
Source BMW Williams

SlickHolden
07-28-2004, 05:39 AM
Bout time to bring on 2005 :D

fpv_gtho
07-28-2004, 05:41 AM
should make the Australian Gran Prix next March pretty interesting

Homem de Gelo
07-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Fisichella has also been confirmed at Renault.