PDA

View Full Version : Why can nobody name cars anymore

SIMPLETON
07-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Why can Nobody name a car anymore? all it it now is letters and numbers. There still is a few companys that give them a real name. But mostly its just letters and numbers

Mustang
07-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Why can Nobody name a car anymore? all it it now is letters and numbers. There still is a few companys that give them a real name. But mostly its just letters and numbers

yeah like porsche all the 911's and ferrari, lambo on the other hand have the idea, so do TVR "sagaris" what a name for a car :) they should go back to the old naming ways :)

SIMPLETON
07-28-2004, 12:03 PM
And names are ALOT easier to remember than a huge string of numbers. With supercars the name makes the car. If its going to be a supercar it has to have a supername with an agressive sound

Niko_Fx
07-28-2004, 12:11 PM
I hate it when Mercedes and BMW do that... they have SO many models/numbers

325/328/330/M3/Z3/Z4/Z8/760/74something/645/540/X5/X3 etc etc

SL500/SL55/CLK320/CLK430/SLK230/CLK55/ML320 etc etc

Matra et Alpine
07-28-2004, 12:25 PM
The other problem with names is finding one not already registered as a trademark in all the countries they want to sell.

So Renault had to sell Alpine's under their own name in UK and USA because Sunbeam had Alpine as one of their registered marks - but watch this space coz Renualt have just bought the rights :)

Also some manufacturers hold on to their 'style' of numbering.
Soe Peugeot have all car numbers with a 0 in the middle.
Yep, it's true and the reason why Porsche had to use 911 !!

BMW and M-B are just demonstrating yupical teutonic efficiency.
From the number you can tell the size, style and engine size :)

eros
07-28-2004, 12:33 PM
yeah like ferrari, lambo :)
ferrari and lambo do stil name there cars but porch works mainluy stil whit numbers and so those koeningsegg but they have a fabric name that rings like a bel

cuntukimushroom
07-28-2004, 12:50 PM
yer that does get quite annoying when people give it wierd concept names

henk4
07-28-2004, 12:50 PM
A few examples from the recent past.

Fiat replaced the 132 limousine with a new model which they named Croma. In holland this was a brand name for cooking fat, but Fiat kept it. The car, like all larger Fiats, wasn't a success.

When Fiat launched the Ritmo, and wanted to sell it in the UK market, they found out that Ritmo was a brand of condoms, and here they wisely decided to change the name to Strada.

As was already mentioned, names can already be registered, and as Porsche found out with 901, digital combinations can also. Peugeot has registered the middle zero, so we got the 911. Some factory design artificial names (xantia, xsara) but given the car a number based name is much easier. Just wondering whether somebody from the Cunningham estate will protest against the new Citroen C4

SIMPLETON
07-28-2004, 12:57 PM
A few examples from the recent past.

Fiat replaced the 132 limousine with a new model which they named Croma. In holland this was a brand name for cooking fat, but Fiat kept it. The car, like all larger Fiats, wasn't a success.

When Fiat launched the Ritmo, and wanted to sell it in the UK market, they found out that Ritmo was a brand of condoms, and here they wisely decided to change the name to Strada.

As was already mentioned, names can already be registered, and as Porsche found out with 901, digital combinations can also. Peugeot has registered the middle zero, so we got the 911. Some factory design artificial names (xantia, xsara) but given the car a number based name is much easier. Just wondering whether somebody from the Cunningham estate will protest against the new Citroen C4

I think you and Matra may have just single-handedly put an end to this thread :(

henk4
07-28-2004, 01:01 PM
I think you and Matra may have just single-handedly put an end to this thread :(

isn't the purpose if a question to get an answer? ;)

Tuscan666
07-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Hmmm i cant remeber a name of a Scooby they have super long names all numbers or sum crap, same with evos...ahh!

Homem de Gelo
07-28-2004, 01:59 PM
I'd name my car:
RhodeKillur

Matra et Alpine
07-28-2004, 02:17 PM
I used to love the old Datsun names - very few of the odd ones were sold outisde Japan.

Nice to see they still uphold the "fairlady" tradidion with names like ....
( from the nissan.co.jp site )

PRESIDENT
CIMA
CEDRIC
GLORIA
TEANA
SKYLINE
PRIMERA
BLUEBIRD SYLPHY
SUNNY
MARCH
MOCO
FAIRLADY Z
SKYLINE
ELGRAND
PRESAGE
SERENA
LIBERTY
STAGEA
AVENIR
WINGROAD
SAFARI
X-TRAIL

See they've kept some of the classics and STILL have the courage to call a car "CEDRIC" :) But would ANYOEN outside of Japan want to admit to owning one ????

VtecMini
07-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Isn't the new Citreon naming style actually a homage to the Citreons of old? Like, waaaaay old? Or have I been fed false information again?

In all fairness I don't dislike the BMW style of naming. Although unimaginative, it provide all the information required rather neatly. What I dislike is the 'alphabet soup' style of naming, such as that on the new Subarus and Mitubishis. My favourite style of naming is probably that of TVR, using mythical beasts as inspiration, though I'm less keen on the more recent T350 and whatnot (from a naming point of view obviously, cos there's nothing wrong with the car). I think Top Gear were so right, it really should have been the Valhalla. :)

Lagonda
07-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Isn't the new Citreon naming style actually a homage to the Citreons of old? Like, waaaaay old? Or have I been fed false information again?

Correct

cls12vg30
07-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Or how about when a company that either uses all names or all alphanumerics suddenly veers off and goes the other way, like Porsche. 914, 911, 944, 928......Boxster?

One of the most ironic car names I can think of would have to be the Daihatsu Charade. It may have been marketed as a car, but we all now that's just a Charade. :D

I always thought Daihatsu should have come out with a car called the Gasundheit. Unless of course that name was already taken by Isuzu.

crisis
07-28-2004, 05:13 PM
I used to love the old Datsun names - very few of the odd ones were sold outisde Japan.

PRESIDENT
CIMA
CEDRIC
GLORIA
TEANA
SKYLINE
PRIMERA
BLUEBIRD SYLPHY
SUNNY
MARCH
MOCO
FAIRLADY Z
SKYLINE
ELGRAND
PRESAGE
SERENA
LIBERTY
STAGEA
AVENIR
WINGROAD
SAFARI
X-TRAIL

See they've kept some of the classics and STILL have the courage to call a car "CEDRIC" :) But would ANYOEN outside of Japan want to admit to owning one ????
The Japs often loose a bit in the translation. Its good to see theve not learnt and gone with Extrail (although my mates got one (girl!) and calls it an Entrail).

F1_Master
07-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Porsche and Ferrari sort of do the same thing. Porsche still calls it cars 911 Turbo, Targa, Turbo S, Carrera, so basically all Porsche coupes are 911s. Just different versions. Ferrari had the original names just with 360, 550, F355 models. But Enzo is basically an original name. BMW, you get used to. But M-B on the other hand. CLK, CL, SL , SLK, M Class. Just to many. :eek:

kko
07-28-2004, 07:46 PM
we americans had the right idear with the corvette and mustang, wich were classes of battelship (i think)

cls12vg30
07-28-2004, 10:28 PM
A corvette is a class of small warship, yes, though it's a fraction of the size of a battleship. A mustang is a wild horse. Also the name of a famous fighter plane from World War II, which may be what you're thinking of.

F1_Master
07-28-2004, 10:30 PM
A corvette is a class of small warship, yes, though it's a fraction of the size of a battleship. A mustang is a wild horse. Also the name of a famous fighter plane from World War II, which may be what you're thinking of.

WOW? The Corvette is a class of small warships? Well, you learn something new everyday.

henk4
07-28-2004, 10:44 PM

PRESIDENT
CIMA
CEDRIC
GLORIA
TEANA
SKYLINE
PRIMERA
BLUEBIRD SYLPHY
SUNNY
MARCH
MOCO
FAIRLADY Z
SKYLINE
ELGRAND
PRESAGE
SERENA
LIBERTY
STAGEA
AVENIR
WINGROAD
SAFARI
X-TRAIL

You forgot to include the Laurel, which actually came to Europe. I have been in a Cedric in Mongolia, imported from Japan, nice limo, heavily loaded.

hanz blix
07-29-2004, 01:04 AM
yeh i know no one can come up with any original names anymore. p.s ferrari is the best

Spastik_Roach
07-29-2004, 01:50 AM
I just love the sound of "Valiant. Charger." Sounds mean!! :D

drakkie
07-29-2004, 01:58 AM
de tomaso longchamps sounds so good

RaptoR
07-29-2004, 06:40 AM
To tell the truth the Ferraris in most of the cases has numbers names of models, only the special or concepts versions have names... Plus the names could be a problem in some cases... for example the Nissan Moco, or the Mitsubishi Pajero, in my country we speak spanish, and here Moco means Snot, yeah, that green stuff in your nose :p , and Pajero is the nickname that is given to those who are all the time masturbating... :rolleyes: So, as you could imagine, here Mitsubishi sells it with other name :D , Montero...

crisis
07-29-2004, 05:57 PM
OK. I was behind a Kia Preggio this morning. It actually quite fitting that this is a million person (kid) people mover.

SlickHolden
07-30-2004, 07:05 AM
HOLDEN is great
Commodore executive
Commodore acclaim
Commodore S
Commodore SV8
Commodore SS
Berlina
Calais
Adventra
Commodore lumina and equipe
Crewman
Cross 8

Holden specialized vehicles
Clubsport
Maloo
Maloo R8
Clubsport R8
Senator
GTO
Avalanche
Senator signature
Grange
GTS Sedan & Coupe

kko
07-30-2004, 10:44 AM
i new mustang was a horse but i thought it was also a ship :( guess not

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-10-2004, 06:03 AM
I think it's because we're all running out of names, we've used all the cool ones way back when the Charger, Mustang Mach 1, and Alfa Guilietta were on the streets. Nowadays, as 'SIMPLETON' said, is to add numbers to them, like the Mitsubishi Evo MR 340FQ... and the Subaru Impreza WRX STi WR1. Nothing passionate in those names, they just trumpet the engine size or power. At least Holden and Chevrolet are still on the right track, with the Monaro and Corvette. But even they use extras, like HSV and C5R, etc.