PDA

View Full Version : Webber confirms move to Williams for 2005

r1ckst4
07-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Australian ace Mark Webber has officially announced that he will be joining the Williams team next season, leaving Jaguar Racing after two years.

"The deal I have agreed with Williams today is really the most significant milestone in my career to date, and I have great expectations of what we can achieve together," Webber said in the announcement, "Of course I am focussed on my job with Jaguar racing for the remainder of this season, but I cannot wait to take up my position with the BMW WilliamsF1 Team for next year. Besides having an amazing history of success, the team has a reputation for a no-nonsense and straightforward approach to racing, which suits me just fine."

Both of Williams' current race drivers have already announced their plans to leave the team at the end of the season - Juan Pablo Montoya to McLaren and Ralf Schumacher to Toyota. This means that the second Williams seat for next year remains open and Webber's team-mate is yet to be confirmed.

Williams team principal Frank Williams said of his new signing:

"Mark is self-evidently a highly talented driver, but his tenacity, determination and motivation are also qualities we prize at Williams F1. As a team, we have traditionally prospered with drivers who have a down-to-earth, ‘let's get on with it’ attitude. Mark is certainly in that mould, and I am delighted he has agreed to join the team for 2005."

Webber's move will have come as a disappointment to Jaguar Racing, which had hoped to retain his services, but David Pitchforth, the team's managing director, was quick to pay tribute:

"We have all learned an incredible amount over these two seasons as Mark has grown as a driver while our racing package has developed to challenge for points. Mark has now reached a stage where he needs to continue this progress and pursue race wins. We understand his decision and respect it."

"During the past two years I have had the pleasure to work with some amazingly talented people from whom I have been inspired and motivated," added Webber, "Formula One is a very, very tough environment in which to work and to do well in. But the camaraderie amongst the team and the efforts that the boys - both at the Jaguar Racing factory and at the track - go to is very, very special and I'd like to thank them for all their hard work."

thanks to the official formula1 website www.formula1.com

Cotterik
07-28-2004, 06:25 PM
The move means that Webber links up with fellow Aussie, Sam Michael, who was promoted to technical director two months ago.

Michael said: "Mark is the kind of character who will give a whole new impetus to everyone employed at WilliamsF1 and at BMW. He is a driven person with one goal.

“Mark displays to me all of the characteristics on and off the track of a champion in the making, and I believe he will be a significant catalyst in improving our future results.”

Mario Theissen said the deal met with BMW’s approval.

He said: “We have been fully involved and consulted in the process of recruiting Mark, and completely support his selection."

motorsportnerd
07-28-2004, 08:40 PM
So it all starts falling into place. Webber was the "cork in the bottle" so to speak. I remember Martin Brundle saying that once his contract for next year was sorted than others would quickly follow.

I'd imagine it won't be long now before Nick Heidfield is confirmed as the second driver at Williams. Jarno Trulli at Toyota. And that leaves the Sauber, two Jaguar and two Jordon seats to guess at. Coulthard will have first pick, and I'd imagine Panis or De Matta will end up in one of the seats available. Alex Davison is also a possible candidate.

I'd guess that the remaining seats will be:
Sauber: Coulthard, Massa.
Jaguar: De Matta, either Klein, Panis or Davidson
Jordon: depends on money from the Dubai investor - they'll get who's left.

fpv_gtho
07-29-2004, 12:36 AM
im pretty sure Klien's seat isnt under pressure for next year, David Pitchford did express his concerns over giving Klien the seat this year, but by the end of the season, i think he wouldve well earned it.

well hope frank williams know what hes doing putting an aussie as his top driver, on top of having an aussie run the show from behind the scenes with sam michael :p. seriously though, the pair should definately be world championship winning material, and whilst williams arent displaying their best at the moment, IMO opinion thats because Montoya knows hes moving to what he considers a better team, and if he leaves williams on bad terms, its no weight on his shoulder.

Ferrari Tifosi
07-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Ahhh, the silly season, it's great. :D

Webber will be a definite threat at Williams, hopefully Williams will improve their car for next year.

lithuanianmafia
07-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Along with Heidfeld, I've heard that Jacques Villenuve, who as most of us know left BAR last season, is also in contention for that seat. He says he wants to go back to Formula 1, and has said he's talked Williams, as well as a couple other teams. It'll be an interesting off season :D