PDA

View Full Version : Renault Confirm Fisichella Deal

Cotterik
07-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Renault have confirmed that Giancarlo Fisichella will join the team in 2005.

The Sauber star will partner young Spaniard Fernando Alonso.

It is a homecoming of sorts for Fisichella, who drove for the team between 1998 and 2001 when they were known as Benetton.

Team boss Flavio Briatore said: “We are delighted to welcome Giancarlo to the Renault team.

“Since we last worked with him in 2001, every aspect of his approach to the sport has matured.

"I am confident that Fernando and Giancarlo are the drivers we need to achieve our goal of winning the world championship in the coming seasons.”

Fisichella had a get-out clause in his Sauber deal - but it was believed only to apply to approaches from Ferrari, McLaren and Williams.

However, Renault team president Patrick Faure confirmed the team had not bought out the Italian's contract.

He said: "Renault did not pay anything to Giancarlo’s current employers. They accepted the Renault option without any difficulties."

Faure said they had decided to replace Jarno Trulli with Giancarlo Fisichella to give the team fresh impetus.

He explained: "I would like to stress that this decision was not taken lightly. But Jarno has come to the end of his contract with the team, and we have already said that we want to be fighting for the championship in 2005 and 2006.

"Giancarlo has shown a very impressive attacking approach in recent seasons. We believe he will complement Fernando well in our challenge for the constructors’ championship."

The Fisichella deal paved the way for former Renault test driver Mark Webber to join Williams. That deal was confirmed just minutes later: Williams - Webber signing (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=100066#post100066)

Thanks to itv-f1.com

Ferrari Tifosi
07-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Interesting, but good for him. Hopefully he'll do good things at Renault, I believe he is a capable driver and with a solid team under him he should succeed.