PDA

View Full Version : Massive Engines - Racing cars

Matra et Alpine
07-30-2004, 09:21 AM
TV series part up on Discovery broadband distribution http://stream.servstream.com/ViewWeb/The_Discovery_Channel/File/804694_1f_w3.asx?Media=19731

Covering engines and (some) racing cars up till the 20s.
Napier Gordon Bennet running and the Fiata Itala engine - huge 14l - sadly NOT running :)

Interesting if for no other reason that I expect to see Lister come out and announce "you're a Smeg-head Rimmer!". Sorry but Chris Barrie doesn't look right without an H on his forehead.

Coventrysucks
07-31-2004, 05:16 AM
Feck arse!
I live in a sky/ digital blackspot, and hence can't get to view this impressive looking series.

One of the very few things that might be worth watching out of several hundered channels. :rolleyes:

I've seen a Napier Railton running at Goodwood, an absolute beast. :cool:

Matra et Alpine
07-31-2004, 08:34 AM
Feck arse!
I live in a sky/ digital blackspot, and hence can't get to view this impressive looking series.
It's not very good.
Chris Barrie cannot manage to come over serious and doens't sound as if he really knows much.

However, Robie Coltrane - Planes, Trains and Automobiles is being repeated so you can go back to feeling bad. 2 favourite clips from that series - the Mercededs-Benze racers and supercharger with the guy who has dozens of ME-109 engines in his garage AND the US air defense siren powered by a big V8. Sat for 30 years and started first go :)

Coventrysucks
07-31-2004, 09:53 AM
It's not very good.
Chris Barrie cannot manage to come over serious and doens't sound as if he really knows much.

However, Robie Coltrane - Planes, Trains and Automobiles is being repeated so you can go back to feeling bad. 2 favourite clips from that series - the Mercededs-Benze racers and supercharger with the guy who has dozens of ME-109 engines in his garage AND the US air defense siren powered by a big V8. Sat for 30 years and started first go :)

Saw Coltrane's Planes, trains and automobile first time round, V. good series.

I didn't expect Massive engines to be the definative series on engines, but as mildly educational, mildly entertaining television, it looked ok.

I'd rather watch that than Coronation street.
:)