PDA

View Full Version : Favourite racing series

piledriver
08-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Whatīs your favourite racing series and why???

DasModell
08-14-2003, 03:33 AM
Formula 1 - my first love ..
Moto GP - my second love
LeMans - my third love
FIA GT and so on
ETCC
WSBK
WRC

and many more :) :)
:) :)

Rob
08-16-2003, 09:23 AM
1. Long distance races like LeMans 24h and Sebring
2. NASCAR
3. Formula 1
4. The Isle of Man (motorracing)

I also like what is dutch is 'zijspan racen' but I don't know the english word for it,

MP4/4Fan
08-16-2003, 04:23 PM
1. Formula One
2. Moto GP
3. American LeMans Series
4. SCCA Trans Am series
5. F3000
6. WRC
7. Rolex Sports Car Series
8. Australian V8 series
9. Speed GT championship
10. FIA Sportscar & GT championship
Team McLaren is the Best! Long live Ayrton Senna!!!

Homem de Gelo
08-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Rob
I also like what is dutch is 'zijspan racen' but I don't know the english word for it,

Is it side car?:confused:

crisis
08-20-2003, 06:30 PM
This is what we have to put up with in Oz

crisis
08-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Adelaide street circuit. The old Australian GP track

piledriver
08-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Arcanjo
Is it side car?:confused:

Yes, I think itīs side car, but I thought this series wouldnīt exists anymore, īcos since the beginning of the 90īs, when there were many videos with incidents with side cars ( series of videos called HAVOC), I didnīt hear about side cars...

piledriver
08-22-2003, 09:06 AM
I have many preferences, but the order is not important, īcos I love all of them:
Rally (any kind of) like WRC
Formula 1
CART
Touring Cars like DTM
Stock Cars like brazilian stock car and Nascar

more-boost1555
08-27-2003, 01:51 PM
F1 has to be my fav even though I never get to see it cause I don't get speed channel.

Then I like CART, Nascar, and American Le Mans.

WRC, NHRA, and IRL are cool too.

I think I would like Moto GP, but I've never seen it because of a certain channel which has already been mentioned.

Craftsman Truck series is decent too if there is nothing else on.

Falcon500
08-28-2003, 07:04 AM
Put up with crisis? not a fan? though i fully agree it isnt as good as the first series of manufatuers cars making them makes better road going cars. And i still think there was no better catigory then Group C. Group A sucked but that was because it favord small turboed buzz boxes rather then v8s. I think that the nations cup is a good race,v8super cars,konica seris v8s,Historics,targa tasmania and New zeland, super sedan and those little aussie heros class and more:) .The new zeland and south african touring cars used to rock when we got them on tv but i havent seen them in years:(

crisis
08-28-2003, 07:15 PM
I wasnt serious. I love it. How could you not love watching rwd V8 sedans beat each other up. Sound great, competative. And they invoke a fierce brand loyalty. You can drive somthing that vaguely resembles it on the road, appearance wise at least. Not having as much fun this year of course.

defchef
08-29-2003, 09:46 AM
I think ALMS is best because there are three different car types and long distance races.
Also the FIA GT series.
I think touring cars and sport wagon races are better than formel races. you can see the (same) cars on street(like DTM), thats cool.
CART is also good.and the moto gp races are full of action.

I wonder that you canīt see any car races like in the moto gp any more. probably the cars are developt to much, and the are too near to the limit.

fpv_gtho
09-12-2003, 06:36 AM
out of all the race series in the world, nascar would have to be one of the most boring to compete in. just goin around and around in circles endlessly for more than half the weekends every year, surely people would get sick of that. at least competitions like F1 and most other stock car series actually race on tracks, not circuits

Falcon500
09-12-2003, 03:51 PM
I dont know about that i have to agree with you I dont excatly see why so many people view it so highly. But also on that note moswt of the drivers love it and a lot of our drivers (in australia) either want to race it or have at some stage in their life (bradly Jones raced there,Steven Jhonson wants to go,John Falk has raced there etc etc.) And also i think that the older nacar anything bofore the 80s were top races especially in the 60s :cool:

fpv_gtho
09-12-2003, 05:24 PM
ambrose was supposed to have gone over to america and trialled NASCAR after rnd 8 this year as well, but he was saying that he enjoyed the thrill of the V8's so it would have had to be alot to convince him to stay there

Falcon500
09-13-2003, 03:05 AM
Well NASCAR is actually bigger than f1 in america and it is an exctiting sport but as a mate of mine said once "nowdays whatching NASCAR is like rooting fat women both are fun but you dont tell your friends" He was american too but that really says alot on what "some" of the public think of it nowdays.

fpv_gtho
09-13-2003, 03:46 AM
F1's not really big at all in america, so its not really a comparison thats saying how big exactly NASCAR is in the states. F1's more of a european motorsport i think. i can see how people get bored with it though, with the sport occupying about 2/3 of the weekends every year. the teams in the V8's are pretty flat out at 13 rounds, imagine them pushing 30 or so

Falcon500
09-13-2003, 04:42 AM
And your forgetting that they have the busch series the equivilent to our konica v8s and i think they have a series under that also so youll be lucky to go a weekend without any NASCAR!

Prowl
09-18-2003, 05:35 AM
Ya see, in America, we watch NASCAR and NHRA because we find it entertaining. That's all really. From the way it looks F1 fans like to discuss everything about the sport. To tell ya the truth, I find F1 very boring to watch just because not as much action happens. there isn't much bumping and grinding like in NASCAR where the cars are very though and can take some good hits.
If F1 ever came to the US to try one of ovals, many would say Daytone, Talledaga, or Indy right? I say Bristol. Bristol would be so fun for those guys I think they would die. I mean at bristol it's like 800bhp bumper cars, seriously!

fpv_gtho
09-18-2003, 05:38 AM
playing bumber cars in open-wheel racers sounds more like murder than fun to me

Falcon500
09-18-2003, 05:47 AM
When open wheelers touch :eek: my gawd that would be scary and to think ur salesman doesnt think if its got doors it aint a true race car.

Prowl
09-18-2003, 07:41 PM
wait. re-phrase that. ok. We will put the drivers in a different car, make it an exibition race.

V8stangman
09-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm a big Nascar fan.

ReeK
09-29-2003, 05:30 PM
F1 : been obsessed for years, can't get over it.
V8 Supercars : See above but to a lesser degree
WRC : Just awesome being on the side of a hill, when McRae et al blast past at 150km/h...

fpv_gtho
09-29-2003, 07:57 PM
wrc and f1 i reckon would have to be the hardest forms of motorsport out there, you'd need total driver control. id like to see if skaife could handle either of them, ambrose would be up for it, he was pursuing an f1 career before coming to v8's, same with lowndes imbetween driving for holden and ford

Falcon500
09-30-2003, 12:24 AM
Ambrose and Lowndes now are a little to old now if they go back top europe to race (as both of them have) theyll have to re-establish them selves and assuming things go their way theyll have win a f3 race and sucsefully test before they even have a hope of getting a full time drive that would take all but 5 years nearly leving them in their 30s. And why do you think skaife is so sour he didnt get his dream to race f1 youd have to feel a little sorry for him but all three of them are over that now they are perfectly happy where they are (so i heard from several interviews with them) as for rally drivers the transition is hard but Colin Bond manged it i think he was the first one out their to win both a rally titel and a ATCC series champion and also the Bates brother were racing in the panasioncs Falcon (Mark Nokeys car) in the sand daown and theyll return for the mountain i havent seen them get great results on the mountain but i think they sure get a kick out of it.

fpv_gtho
09-30-2003, 07:18 AM
im not tryin to be sour to skaife, just seeing whether he can live up to his reputation of being a control freak

Falcon500
10-02-2003, 04:06 AM
I dont think youd be souring skaife at all the man is a perfectionest in himself and im dead certain itll spread to his team ownership im just wonderng how hell deal with the stresses of being an owner/driver though his record hasnt been to crash hot as compared to previous years he still is the only holden driver to win a round (and 2 at that) I think there will be an adjusting period itll take some getting used to and some people just arnt cut out for it.

fpv_gtho
10-02-2003, 07:06 AM
well if u take ambrose out of the picture theres only been 2 ford drivers to win, and one of those was his teammate with ambrose finishing second

Falcon500
10-02-2003, 07:30 AM
Well im not too sure ingalls performances haven been that stirling (not saying hes a bad driver just not lucky) you culd say lowndes could be a conteder but he ahsnt been performing solid. Giving credit where credits due holden haven been doing to bad if you look past their wins at most races they have dominated the rest of the podium and itll get tighter next year hopefully.

fpv_gtho
10-02-2003, 07:35 AM
yeah ford havent been too dominate with their top 10 placings etc, just ambrose has been picking up most of the wins and when he doesnt win, he still gets podium, except rnd 2

Falcon500
10-02-2003, 07:42 AM
Yeah when broght cleaned hm up and it was deemed a racing incident. Bloody big eared wanker he ddeserved to be grilled for that where do the officals get off booking greg murphy for thumping lownded when londe lost traction when jason britght was trying to overtake ambrose on the pitlane entry its jsut stupid.

fpv_gtho
10-02-2003, 07:48 AM
well the incident with murphy and lowndes is a classic case of how cheeky the drivers have to be to overtake people. murphy was pushing his car a little to much and didnt expect anything to happen, but he didnt deserve the punishment he recieved.

Falcon500
10-02-2003, 07:59 AM
And they were most unhappy with all the stuff Cromly said afterwards he got in a fair bit of trouble for that. I dont like murph much but he didnt deserve that not by a long shot same with the ingall murphy incident a few races before.

fpv_gtho
10-02-2003, 08:07 AM
was that with his little speech that went on "shame on you colin bond" and all the rest at the control board

Falcon500
10-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Yup all 10 minuites of it! He was less then impressed with mr bonds decision and he voiced it! And im pretty sure he was the one who orginazed the very unsecsessful meeting between murph and colin bond where they both got to add their bobs worth murph had good arguments saying that mr bond if think you could of avoided that why arnt you still racing and winning championships where bond reckoned there was a gap there he could of breaked it didnt look like he done all he could to of avoided it!

fpv_gtho
10-02-2003, 09:08 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if there was some glare on murphy's windscreen and he saw lowndes' brakelights when it was too late

Falcon500
10-03-2003, 03:10 AM
Well i saw the vidio over and over again and there was a split second he could of reacted quicker but even if he was that split second quicker he couldent of avoided it the outcome would of been the same.

fpv_gtho
10-05-2003, 01:30 AM
well theres nothing that can be done now so we may as well leave it be

Falcon500
10-05-2003, 04:50 AM
Well we can hope it doesnt happen again that was why cromly complained afterwards. also on the note of bathurst they will be finalising the linup at the 24 hour race real soon we are getting the presence of 2 moslers this time and a team of maseratis and the 2 monaros also with the usual euro trash that will be racing alongside them all.

fpv_gtho
10-05-2003, 05:02 AM
have they revealed yet what car Bowe will be driving in? his ferrari being bought i guess has spun his team around a fair bit

Falcon500
10-05-2003, 05:34 AM
Well he was driving Greg Cricks car the other day at winton (the silver viper) so i wonder if hell be teaming up with crick? Or maybey the cobr R team hich are supposed to be enteringg?

fpv_gtho
10-05-2003, 05:45 AM
who knows, all ive heard is theyre trying to set a car aside for him. they had to stop using the ferrari 360 gt cause it was worth $750,000 and the owner i guess wanted to keep it as an investment so pulled it out of the race before it got totalled, or scratched for that matter

Falcon500
10-05-2003, 05:59 AM
Yeah the owner of prancing horse racing had a bit of a winge when stokell tryed to put the squeaze on him saying my cars worth more then yours and stuff not that i blame him but thats racing (sh)it happens

fpv_gtho
10-05-2003, 06:03 AM
i wonder how long it wouldve take bowe to get used to the viper, although hes not unfamiliar with powerful, rear drive cars so he wouldve felt right at home id say. taking a cobra r would be a fairly big step backwards in performance, like when he was driving the 360gt, he was up there with the monaros, vipers and diablos and the cobra r would have things like wrx's and evo's to worry about

Falcon500
10-05-2003, 06:30 AM
Hell be used to the cobra R that was his car before he got the ferrari. And he won the first race at winton with the viper and edned up on the podium for the weekend so i wouldent give it long.

fpv_gtho
10-05-2003, 06:34 AM
he wouldve gone through hell to dry and get used to the 360GT. he must be a pretty good driver then if one weekend he can be accustomed to a front engined, heavy v8 supercar and then other weekends be accustomed to a lightweight, mid engined v8

Falcon500
10-05-2003, 06:52 AM
well he learnt inm formula Vees and drove skylines and later the very hard to handel sierras and has contiued to race 2 catigorys at once for a very long time as well as his testing/teaching jobs also. very talented man.

fpv_gtho
10-05-2003, 06:58 AM
its too bad hes not more succesful in the v8's. i think both him and russel ingall pretty much peaked a year or so ago

Falcon500
10-05-2003, 06:36 PM
I personally think that bowes peak was in 94 when he won the championship and also in the 80s with the sierras. Ingall peaked a fewyears ago but seems to be doing better then in the last 2 years and he seems like a happier person (somthing he also claims) paul radasich seems to be having his second comming and with more money comming in beacue briggs motorsport has been bought out by the english firm 888 it is looking bright for the 2 time world champion. Seton is on a small rise i think hell do better again next year and im thinking the same with lwndes. Besnard is doing worse this year! he came from beignt eh champion of the QLD 500 to doing fairly ordinary and most was just bad luck (fried clutch, tapped into spins etc)

fpv_gtho
10-05-2003, 06:59 PM
i think ingall, bowe, seton, lowndes and besnard are just on a bit of a rollercoaster, the 3 fpr guys mainly from the shift to a brand new team i guess. ingall's settling in pretty well at sbr and ford though, something i dont think lowndes achieved as easily, and yeah, radisich is doing better, but its mainly because he wanted to do things his way when he was with djr and thats why they replaced him with max wilson. dj i think has admitted that it was his teams decision, not his, to originally sign up radisich and he was happy that it was him that decided to get max wilson

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 02:38 AM
Well dick isnt running the team as much as he used to hes ste[ed back a bit in recent times hes still helping with sponsorship and drivers and stuff and motivating his son as well. There are teams that need results other wise they might dissapear which will be sad but you have to live with it i guess. Dick makes Radasich sound like a pain in the arse but usually when he wants somthing done his way its usually for a reason the only problem i have with the man is hes a bit of a snob and a little bit cold too. Tbhe worst part with the pairing of max wilson and steven johnson was the 1'4" height differnce max (5') and steven (6'4"odd his old man said it once) the height differnce is so much that even pauls special seat that folded out for steven wouldent work! that why they had the parings of wilson/brabbam and Johnson/Luff. And on the note not all ford teams are doing good 00 folded this year and was bought out by the K-mart racing team and thextan was doing very ordianry (he wasnt doing to bad this is his first year and hes getting better) that the gave him special aloownces by letting him drive in the konica series as well.

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 03:38 AM
well with that much height difference they would of had heaps of problems, like between ingall and ambrose ingall needed a bit of padding behind him, or vice versa

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Even the seating differnces between bradly jones and john bowe ios actually quite uncomfterble and they have some panadol duct taped to the dash for bowe to have during the enduros.

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 04:25 AM
that one's a laugh

SL500
10-06-2003, 04:27 AM
WiLL you two shut up!!!!!!!!!!!
in this thread in pages 2,3,4 just you two Falcon and fpv... is chatting!

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 04:30 AM
better not check out the australian cars foums then, and whats the problem, at least were keeping to the topic of racing.

SL500
10-06-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by fpv_gtho
better not check out the australian cars foums then, and whats the problem, at least were keeping to the topic of racing.
Okay.
Go on the chatting.

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 04:54 AM
well why dont you start up a conversation if you dont like the subject? we are actually talking about V8 supercars right now if you have any queastions why not ask? or if you have a racing catigory youd like to talk about or even prehaps introduce us to it why not go for it?

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 04:59 AM
maybe if we start talking about the dtc which his beloved mercedes are involved in he wont care

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 05:07 AM
I saw a bit on them on speed week (SBS) they seemed like a very close catigory but it didnt really do much for me of course the v8s dont have the same effect on me that bgroup C did but as long as the v8s are entertaining and fast paced and so on ill be a very happy camper.

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 05:11 AM
i was watching the btcc the other day and talk about boring. i think the biggest car they were racing was an mg zt which won the race i watched, but the race was dominated by civics. those poms definately rather the small cars to large cars though. if they consider a mondeo a large family sedan theyd probably think of a falcon as a limousine and a fairlane as a stretch limo

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Yeah thats because the smaller the car is the cheaper it is to run and thats not only in running costs the rego over there i based on dispalcement and pollution and other such stuff that and the fact fuel is much more expensive over there. I dont mind the focus and i really like their idea of the AWD cossie poerd one that would be mad little car that one!

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 05:27 AM
too bad we're not getting it, we're not even getting the rs. 220kw in a focus should be fun though

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 05:33 AM
We would at least get a few wouldent we its rare for us to not at least get a handfull?

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 05:36 AM
well i think they were only planning on making about 200 rs versions of the focus, so we'd be lucky to get a dozen. i think fpv's planning on making thir own versino of the car. they should try it with the st170 as well to try and get the price down a bit. the st170 looks the part but at $37K its somewhat overpriced

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 05:46 AM
Well that st170 is really a nice car its what you want when you want somthing that at least seems like its spoty they fair move and wont cost you a pretty penny in fuel though making them cheaper would be nice. And only 200 what a shame! their the kind of theings we need to take part in our local rallys!

NoOne
10-06-2003, 05:50 AM
I hate NASCAR ...... its like watching people practice left hand turns, might actually be better if they raced in the opposite direction after 5 or 10 laps .....that would sure as hell give the slower cars incentive to speed up...or get the hell off the track :D :D :D :D j/k ....I really do find it boring tho

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 05:51 AM
at first glance u might think that, but theyre more of a premium sports hatch, like that of the r32 golf, alfa 147 gta and the new seat and skoda hatches appearing in europe. rallies are probably best suited for wrx's and such, although a focus would be competitive

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Well i think itll be a lift for fords small car segment win on sunday sell on friday" rember. and NoOne nascar rewards comming last they give you a paoint and you get payed as much money as the guy who comes 4th which is a lot!(which i find very odd) and yeah it is all very much the same even the tracks look a lot alike!

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 06:05 AM
well i think an fpv focus would do that for them as well

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 06:21 AM
Well Polites said he wants to expand to rally when they seem to be stable in v8 super cars so well wait and see maybey ill become more inersted in rally soon enough.

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 05:39 PM
well right now the main players on the australian rally are just subaru, mitsubishi and the prototype corollas, so if ford can get involved, it'll fill out the top 4 manufacturers competing in rally

Falcon500
10-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Well well wait and see ford is currently winning the seden section tihnk with its EL XR8

fpv_gtho
10-06-2003, 09:58 PM
sedan section of a rally, that would be prety funny to watch, unless its a tarmac rally

Falcon500
10-07-2003, 05:11 AM
They actually go quite well its just not a very well telivised or a very popular event i think the dude needs to upgrade i think a herrod XR6T would suit rally duty better then a new XR8.

fpv_gtho
10-07-2003, 05:59 AM
i heard on fordforums.com that the herrod ex6t that contested targa tasmania was actually painted in the colour ford's replacing blueprint with. i also heard they're coming out with another blue called true blue or sumtin, all rumours of course.

Falcon500
10-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Tru blue theyd almost have to pay dick johnson large amounts of money for that name. I liked the blueprint id miss it. and another blue what is it 3 now on offer?

fpv_gtho
10-07-2003, 07:14 AM
well blueprint's the oldest of fords current wave of stand out colours, it was introduced with T3, but right now theyve got offshore, blueprint and bluepearl (offshore was introduced with the fairlane). i think the replacement will be pretty similar but mainly just a change in name to keep the colour fresh in people's minds

fpv_gtho
10-07-2003, 07:15 AM
fords also supposedly working on a greenish colour similar to that of holden's hothouse metallic green

Falcon500
10-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Dont l;ike ethe new holdens green i swear ive snezzed somthing cloe to that colour before! and id be most disapointed in ford to be sheeplike enough to floow holdens lead. As far as greens go i still like good ol british racing green and that congo one on the GTHOs

crisis
10-07-2003, 05:25 PM
What do you think of the new Ford Citric Acid for a booger. Or acid rush or citric orange. I rekon all these colours along with hot house, and the Commodores new purple will date in a few years. Just like Tiger mica.

Falcon500
10-07-2003, 05:32 PM
I like the orange dont be knocking the ornage :D But yeah holden and ford and a few other comapnmys seem tio be aiming at fad colours to try and sell a few more cars. That tiger mica fell flat on its arse when little boys in carolla hatchbacks started painting thier car in it that and the fact it was a very expensive paint.

fpv_gtho
10-07-2003, 05:59 PM
ive heard a couple of people saying that because some holden dealers didnt keep it as an ss only colour and offered it on some executives it ruined the exclusitivity of the colour

Falcon500
10-07-2003, 06:07 PM
It was also a coulour that got quite dirty and also was veery easy to mark when the colour was still very common here we had a commadore show and it got hit by a big hail storm! other then the black and htat deep blue coulour i swear theyt were one of the worst colours off.

fpv_gtho
10-07-2003, 06:17 PM
id have to see it in person to believe it thoroughly. i still dont see why ford would produce a metallic green though. the "proper" greens as you said are much better, like heritage green offered of the elgt and british racing green

Falcon500
10-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Its strange i really like the coulour green but I am actually coulour blind! gues what colour im lacking in GREEN! its not srious i cant see the right number on the coulour chart (its a bunch of dots you see a number and i see a 19 in green dots where your supposed to see a 37 in yellow) the only thing it stops me from doing is join the army or some such. But also on that note opinions are like arse holes and so on and so on and beauty is unto the eye of the beholder if you like a bully for you!

fpv_gtho
10-08-2003, 06:23 AM
well i saw a blood orange gt with stripes in person not too long ago. it mightve been that the owner kept the car that bloody dirty but there was a fair bit of dirt showing up.

Falcon500
10-08-2003, 07:14 AM
Well im yet to see a colour that doesnt show signs of getting dirty my bloody sunny is brown and it still shows all the dirt it get on it coupled with the fact ive never washed it in all the months ive owned it.

fpv_gtho
10-08-2003, 07:24 AM
weill i wouldnt pick brown as a colour that shows up alot of dirt, but blood orange with dirt all over it looks disgraceful. i cant believe the driver of a $60K car would let their car get that dirty

Falcon500
10-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Well dont forget we are in a drought maybey hes doing his part there?

fpv_gtho
10-08-2003, 06:24 PM
your still allowed to do it with a bucket from memory though.

Falcon500
10-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Where have you been? were up to level 3 restrictions now no washing of cars at all! unless its from a car wash joint why do you think im wating on a goverment exemption to wash the cars at the dealer.

fpv_gtho
10-08-2003, 07:03 PM
and to think theres been rain where i live over the past couple of weeks

Falcon500
10-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Its been pissing down here but that doesnt seem to matter.