PDA

View Full Version : Active Suspension

Ferrari Tifosi
08-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Why did this great technological advancement fall off the face of the earth when it was banned by the FIA in F1? It seemed to me to be the PERFECT suspension system. I basically know it works through use of a central computer, tranducers, and actuators. These all work together and to the job of the typical spring, damper, and anti-roll bar. Active Suspension can control the car during any situation, like through a turn it can control the amount of roll, and during braking it can control the dive of the front end, and keep it level.

So why did Active Suspension disappear?

Matra et Alpine
08-04-2004, 10:48 AM
So why did Active Suspension disappear?
It didn't.
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43853/article.html

Ferrari Tifosi
08-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the link Matra, never knew the technology was being used. Do you think it will ever make a return to racing?

henk4
08-04-2004, 01:11 PM
As to be expected this anglophone article overlooks the active suspension that was applied to the Citroen prototypes Activa I and II and became available as an option in the Xantia. This was way before Cadillac introduced it. Even Auto Motor und sport had to put in a correction after they had claimed that Mercedes was the first to introduce it. The Xantia became a very fast cornering car with this suspension, which went at the expense of the ride which became so firm that the other advantages of the hydropenumatic system dissappeared totally.

Matra et Alpine
08-04-2004, 03:38 PM
As to be expected this anglophone article overlooks the active suspension that was applied to the Citroen prototypes Activa I and II and became available as an option in the Xantia.
That's the nrom for the industry, sin't it Pieter :)
Citroen did SO much that was SOOO good and then cock-it up by putting it in a POS like the Xantia :)

Don't think we'll see it return in racing.
Especially now that more effort is put in to make tracks level - so suspension doesn't face the huge bumps and undulations of 20 years ago :(

CassioC
08-04-2004, 08:46 PM
i think that if active suspension were allowed back in racing teams would find use for it, even on mirror smooth surfaces. they'd probably want the suspension to tighten as the steering is first turned to make turn-in faster, soften it a bit during mid-corner to allow the car's tires to sink in, and then soften the rear up and stiffen the front to improve traction coming out.

i had read (or heard) that renault f1 were working on an active camber system--have the wheels lay flat during straights and then tilt them left or right to maintain the contact patch during cornering. that would indeed be awesome stuff. mercedes also had this with the 'carving' concept, although i haven't heard anything else about the technology.

Matra et Alpine
08-05-2004, 02:14 AM
i think that if active suspension were allowed back in racing teams would find use for it, even on mirror smooth surfaces. they'd probably want the suspension to tighten as the steering is first turned to make turn-in faster, soften it a bit during mid-corner to allow the car's tires to sink in, and then soften the rear up and stiffen the front to improve traction coming out.
They already achieve this to an extent with the suspension geometry.
But unlike active it is a compromise tfor the track.
The problem with active is that they are able to dial in different characteristics IN ADVANCE of the corner to make the handling the optimum for that corner. So it was a VERY expesnive solution which had no place in the real world. AND made the car infinitely more dangerous if a problem ( either bad maapping, diffrent line or software ) as the car could lose grip at VERY high speeds.

i had read (or heard) that renault f1 were working on an active camber system--have the wheels lay flat during straights and then tilt them left or right to maintain the contact patch during cornering.
They've had it for decades :)
BUT now with F1 cars having so little suspension movement then it's very hard to alter the camber . Unequel length wishbones does this , but needs suspension travel for the angle to change significantly. As active is banned I suspect Renault have a clever trick to "amplify" the travel effect without increasing the stiffness.

SilverArrowZ
08-05-2004, 06:51 AM
do you think active suspension will be good for drifting?

Matra et Alpine
08-05-2004, 06:58 AM
do you think active suspension will be good for drifting?
things like active yaw and single brake controls are their to STOP drifting :)

Don't see any great advantage as drifting is always done on smooth tracks.

Could use suspension changes to assist in getting the drift going, but that's easy enough with brake bias, left foot braking and handbrake.

So, no I dont' think it wodl be any great advantage.