PDA

View Full Version : Intake Plenum

GTR Dreamer
08-11-2004, 10:13 PM
what is the best design of an intake plenum and does anyone have any good websites ect. about them. i saw one recently where it wat symillar to an exhaust header and the piping from the intercooler came up under neath it and went into its differnt tubes. is this a good design?
thanks guys... ;) :D ;)

Ferrari Tifosi
08-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Infinitely Variable Intake Manifolds are good stuff. However, its very expensive, as anything that is Infinitely Variable. But there are great benifits to using such a system.

Matra et Alpine
08-12-2004, 02:32 AM
what is the best design of an intake plenum and does anyone have any good websites ect. about them. i saw one recently where it wat symillar to an exhaust header and the piping from the intercooler came up under neath it and went into its differnt tubes. is this a good design?
Too many variables to give a blanket answer.

The most important thing is flow dynamics - volume moved and turbulence.

Contrary to some opinion it can actually be beneficial for plenum's to CREATE turbulence rather than prevent it. The reason is a turbulent flow can improve fuel mixture in the combuston chamber. Of course too much and it an be detrimental to atomisation at the injectors :)

As flow and turbulence are in the main opposing factors in a fluid flow, getting the right balance is difficult. So much depends on locatino of chambers, pipes and carb/injectors.

Sorry, that wasn't really an answer :)

2 choices
- decide which car it is for, what upgrades to injectors, turbo, head ports etc and then find the best option for it from tuners and experienced owners.
- go to university to study fluid dynamics, invest in computer and modelling software and develop your own !
- oh there's a third - don't worry about it :)

fpv_gtho
08-12-2004, 04:28 AM

that sounds alot like the description on the old SOHC 3.9L and 4L straight sixes

GTR Dreamer
08-13-2004, 12:13 AM
yep, pretty much like that... ;)

GTR Dreamer
08-13-2004, 04:27 PM
is that a good type of intake? any websites?

fpv_gtho
08-14-2004, 03:40 AM
ford replaced it for their current dual length scroll design, but for forced induction i dont think variable intake length matters that much so the old design should be fine