PDA

View Full Version : Should I...

F1_Master
08-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Ok, let me get the truth out.
Yes, I was f***ing around on the top speed thread.
I'm sry... :( I at least want to set things right by telling the truth, if that helps since other posers on other sites don't have the courage. So again, I'm sry. :( :( :( But I really do live with an aunt, uncle, sister, and 2 younger brothers. Parents...none :(

Anyways, to my topic...
After reading an article in R&T on their test of the Dodge SRT4 and the Saturn Ion Red Line. So ok, I'm actually looking for a car to lease so I don't have to go everywhere with my aunt and uncle, or ride a stupid bus.
So, I've been actually looking at both of these and was wondering you guys can help me out.

Should I take a better look at the SRT4? or the Redline? I've been looking at other cars, but I've been leaning to the Redline.

So, should I take a better look, and look for a test drive at these cars? Or jusr keep looking around?

Quiggs
08-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Purely looking at it from a performance aspect (which, if you're looking at a SRT4 is where you're coming from), do you value handling or straight-line speed more? The SRT is quicker/faster, but the Ion handles better from what I've heard. The SRT is made of cheaper materials inside. It has parts readily available from the dealer for your go-fast needs. The Ion is new. Saturn has a good history of being reliable, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you're not so concerned about performance as just having a car, go with whichever you like the looks of more. Which is more comfortable to drive everyday. Also, what's the fuel mileage look like? And insurance?

Shameless VW plug: GTi 1.8T's are more comfy and with a APR chip will keep up with either. :D

Edit: hit button on accident.

Sweeney921
08-13-2004, 09:44 PM
i would definitely take the srt-4. firstly, IMO the red line is just plain ugly. secondly, the srt-4 would be waaaaaaaayyy easier to find performance parts for (u dont have to soupe it up though). thirdly, its faster!

F1_Master
08-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Purely looking at it from a performance aspect (which, if you're looking at a SRT4 is where you're coming from), do you value handling or straight-line speed more? The SRT is quicker/faster, but the Ion handles better from what I've heard.

Well, I do like speed, but I'm guessing I'll be using it mostly to drive buds to school, or go to the mall, or errands.
The Redline is cheaper by a little bit, but not as powerful.
I don't know if I should go with R&Ts decision. They voted the SRT4 better. Although the Redline does have Recaro seats, but that doesn't make the car.

F1_Master
08-13-2004, 09:48 PM
i would definitely take the srt-4. firstly, IMO the red line is just plain ugly. secondly, the srt-4 would be waaaaaaaayyy easier to find performance parts for (u dont have to soupe it up though). thirdly, its faster!

Like I said, I do like the faster part, but I'm not sure about modifying a car I may want to lease. I've thought about that before when my neighbor owned a RX300 (Said it turns like a truck). Anyways, his car isn't the subject.

SilverArrowZ
08-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Okay i have no knowledge of these two cars, so i can't give advice on them. So i'll go with a more general aproach (based on all the things i can read from the previous post):

If i were you, i'll take a good look at the RedLine. This is because you say you lean more towards the Redline. Go and have a good look, list down all the things you like on them, and the special thing that attracts you to it. Then go ahead and have a good look at the SRT4 again. See whether the SRT4 have what you like in the Redline. Match their difference, see their traitoffs, and see how much they ment for you. The goal here is to find a car that you won't say something like:"aww... this car don't have a XXX like the other one do... darn.. i should have get the other one"

You say you are going to use the car to give your pals a ride to school and to the mall or something, then get a car that is more practical. Get one with more sitting capacity (note that i don't know what those to cars are yet), and give some attention to the comfort level, you are not going to race it or anything. So it is wise to test drive BOTH of them, because YOU are the driver and you will never know how the car feels even all the people in the forum tell you so. Feel it yourself, it is not against the law to test drive it.

talks about performance, you guys say the SRT4 have more performance, then ask yourself one question: "are you going to use every horsepower the car can push out? or you are just going to use half of it?" if your answer is no, then you know that you can achieve the same power with the Redline by reving it up a bit higher.

About the handling, do you want straight line speed or cornering speed? Like Quiggs says, the Redline handles better. In my opinion, there is something call "speed limit" on the straight. Do you want to go slower at the corner while you can go faster, and go faster on the straight risking a speeding ticket? Or you can cut down your travel time cutting over corner at higher speed while maintain at a safe speed on the straight?

Its all about decision. I am not you. I don't know how you think. I don't know what you like. Therefore i can't decide for you. But if i were you, i'll keep on looking for other cars. There might be something that have the best of both world (the Redline and the SRT4) and might just cost the same.

Well. Good luck.. hope you find an idle car for yourslef.

psst... btw... i use all those decision making methods to buy myself a new cellphone earlier this year :D

MnDriver
08-14-2004, 11:01 AM
the SRT-4 is the better pic i have red a lot about that car some say that it is the american comback to the lancer evo and the wrx sti but dont just belive me pic up some car mags and do reserch like i did if i had the money to get the srt-4 i would belive me its tight dont get they yellow one though yellow is a bad color sorry for my opion about the color lol

taz_rocks_miami
08-14-2004, 01:14 PM
If you're seriously considering both cars, test drive them both before signing any lease. We can give you all the advice and specs in the world but you'll be the one behind the wheel. Test them and see which one you feel better in.

Taz.

MnDriver
08-14-2004, 03:31 PM
If you're seriously considering both cars, test drive them both before signing any lease. We can give you all the advice and specs in the world but you'll be the one behind the wheel. Test them and see which one you feel better in.

Taz.

i could not say it any better............... ( cough get the SRT-4 get it cough )

F1_Master
08-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Alright, took a SRT4 for a test drive today. I was a little surprised, but it drives pretty nice. The Redline though, I was only able to sit in. (All the workers were taking their sweet time on other things).
The Redline's Racaro seats, I do like, and are quite a bit more comfy. The SRT4's power however is amazing. It acts like a get up and go car. Tomorrow, I'll check Saturn again for a test drive in a Redline. They wanted me to test drive a Vue Redline, and regular Ion. Not what I want.