PDA

View Full Version : BMW commercial with a 2002

Guibo
08-15-2004, 05:00 AM
Saw it for the first time during the Olympics opening ceremony. Would've been more believable if it were a Turbo or CSL, but oh well.

http://www.bmwusa.com/nr/rdonlyres/2d1a9d33-b48a-450d-831a-56ec175ae0d0/0/mqcb0001farmer30.mov

Matra et Alpine
08-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Saw it for the first time during the Olympics opening ceremony. Would've been more believable if it were a Turbo or CSL, but oh well.
Good condition 2002 Ti s are like gold dust.

They were fast and handled well for thier day - and carried the kids and luggage on holidays :)

We tried to find one as the basis for a 'different' post-historic rally car.
I can assure you the price wanted for good condition would scare you :(

OK, they HAVE taken a bit of poetic licence suggesting a new performance beemer :)

Viper007
08-15-2004, 08:40 AM
That is a kick ass ad. How much would it cost for that car in real life?

Matra et Alpine
08-15-2004, 08:48 AM
That is a kick ass ad. How much would it cost for that car in real life?
Condition is ALL important as they tended to rust badly :(

So you can occasionally get one for free in the UK ( because it now COSTS to scrap a car - giving it away to a mug is cheaper ) :)

But a reasonable one will be only about $2-3000.
A good condition normal 2002 is about $3-5000.
But a mint 2002 Tii can go for $20,000 - There's one for sale now :(

Competition rally ones seem to go for around $10-15000.
Track can vary greatly dependant on setup, but you can have this for about $7000 :)
http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/davewhites024sale.jpg

Guibo
08-15-2004, 01:07 PM
But a reasonable one will be only about $2-3000.
A good condition normal 2002 is about $3-5000.
But a mint 2002 Tii can go for $20,000 - There's one for sale now :(

Your first 2 estimates reflect quite well the market prices for 02's here in the States. But mint Tii's generally have a hard time going much beyond $10-13K. There was even a restored Turbo with rebuilt engine on ebay recently that failed to get past $15K.
I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that the supply of rust-free 2002's compared to demand is still plentiful. Lots to choose from among the relatively dry southwestern states (California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico). The '02 also had a more prolific sales and racing success in Europe; over here, the musclecar and hot rods are still the mainstay of classic car culture, with any large degree of interest in European marques belonging to the Italians, British, and cars bearing the VW or Porsche logos. Many years ago, during a traffic stop, the police officer couldn't quite reconcile the "BMW" and "2002" aspect of my registration with the fact that the car he had just stopped is clearly from a different era. (And this was in a fairly affluent area with lots of modern BMW's.) No such problems with Beetles or 911's, I imagine. That being said, it's pretty amazing how many complete strangers have approached mine at a parking lot or gas station, and reminisced about the time they owned a 2002 (some from when they were brand new).

From the commercial, though, it looks like a bog standard 2002 in a not so desirable Polaris silver. Certainly not an Alpina, judging by the stance, stock seats, the stock steel wheels w/hubcaps, and the DoT side reflectors required of officially imported US cars at the time. And most cars found in barns tend to not fetch too much anyway, unless they're extremely rare exotica. I agree, a really mint Alpina would've made that farmer's day. Last I heard, there are only about a dozen (at most) examples left in the entire US.
In any event, cool commercial. Still looking for the XM Satellite commercial with the guy who drives his Alfa GTV into his business's elevator and parks it next to his upper story cubicle...